TL-191: After the End

It never really developed in TTL, since for all of the rivalries between the various great powers, there never was a real equivalent to the OTL Cold War, although the long period of hostile diplomatic relations between Bharat and China in TTL’s early 21st Century had elements of a Cold War-type of struggle.
That makes sense. The various nuclear powers all recognize the dangers of a nuclear war though after their use during the second Great War right?

You said Texas was an independent country. As an independent country ITTL, what happens to its power grid during the February 2021 Winter Storm?
Keep in mind that even OTL, its state grid is largely independent of the rest of the USA. I assume that it's even more so than in OTL. Naturally, this also touches on TTL Texas' political culture insofar as economic and regulatory ideology OTL played the biggest role in the grid's near-catastrophic collapse (OTL, Texas was literally minutes away from a collapse that would have shut down large parts of the grid for weeks, if not months). So is TTL's Republic of Texas all that different from OTL US state?

Last edited:
Aside from Francisco Jose II (who I know got executed like OTL Maximilian did), what happened to the rest of the Mexican imperial family after the Republic was declared in 1945? Have they been co-opted by Neo-fascists/neo-freedomites to contrast with the American backed Republican government?

You said Texas was an independent country. As an independent country ITTL, what happens to its power grid during the February 2021 Winter Storm?
Keep in mind that even OTL, it's state grid is largely independent of the rest of the USA. I assume that it's even more so than in OTL. Naturally, this also touches on TTL Texas' political culture insofar as economic and regulatory ideology OTL played the biggest role in the grid's near-catastrophic collapse (OTL, Texas was literally minutes away from a collapse that would have shut down large parts of the grid for weeks, if not months). So is TTL's Republic of Texas all that different from OTL US state?

In TTL, the winter storm from OTL 2021 was butterflied away.

Texas, as of 2021, remains an independent country, and remaining the world’s “Lone Star” is definitely a significant part of Texas public culture. However, Texas is closely tied to the USA, especially in terms of regional infrastructure projects.

One of the key components of the USA’s grand strategy during the Dewey and Truman administrations in TTL was to ensure that the remaining independent countries of North America remained firmly in the US sphere of influence, especially as military allies. During the first generation after the SGW, the US invested heavily in connecting Mexico, Texas, Quebec, and the nations of Central America to the USA through new road and rail links, as well as other key forms of infrastructure wherever applicable. In the case of Texas, the US also moved to ensure that electrical grids between the two countries remained unified. This means that whenever the USA makes a major change to the national grid, Texas is, for all intents and purposes, part of the same system.

In TTL, the winter storm from OTL 2021 was butterflied away.

Texas, as of 2021, remains an independent country, and remaining the world’s “Lone Star” is definitely a significant part of Texas public culture. However, Texas is closely tied to the USA, especially in terms of regional infrastructure projects.

One of the key components of the USA’s grand strategy during the Dewey and Truman administrations in TTL was to ensure that the remaining independent countries of North America remained firmly in the US sphere of influence, especially as military allies. During the first generation after the SGW, the US invested heavily in connecting Mexico, Texas, Quebec, and the nations of Central America to the USA through new road and rail links, as well as other key forms of infrastructure wherever applicable. In the case of Texas, the US also moved to ensure that electrical grids between the two countries remained unified. This means that whenever the USA makes a major change to the national grid, Texas is, for all intents and purposes, part of the same system.
I don't understand how human actions can butterfly away weather events, but I'll accept it.

Beyond this, are you're saying that the USA has an all-North American power grid (and presumably telephone / internet one too)? If so, then adding Mexico, Caribbean, and Central America to the phone network must require a 12-digit phone number as of 2021, as opposed to OTL's 10-digits for our numbering system.

In 2021, that is the international situation. However, this will not last. The other great powers who effectively run the International Security Council will gain superbombs of their own over the course of the Twenty-First Century.
how many superbombs does US and Germany possess? Who will be the third country to possess superbombs? (Sorry if I ask too much questions)

Hi David! I’m curious to know what ever became of Abner Dowling after the SGW ITTL? Also, I’ve been curious about Morgan Reynolds. When was the third Republican POTUS born? What led him into serving in the 4PW? Sorry for the double question!

I don't understand how human actions can butterfly away weather events, but I'll accept it.

Beyond this, are you're saying that the USA has an all-North American power grid (and presumably telephone / internet one too)? If so, then adding Mexico, Caribbean, and Central America to the phone network must require a 12-digit phone number as of 2021, as opposed to OTL's 10-digits for our numbering system.
Technically the only thing a human POD doesn't butterfly away is geological or astrological phenomena. If you're going for AH looser on the chaos theory (most uchronia, not that I'm complaining!), different patterns in greenhouse gas emissions from alternate human settlement and population levels would change the speed of ocean currents and the atmospheric temperature, thus changing the weather.

In 2021, that is the international situation. However, this will not last. The other great powers who effectively run the International Security Council will gain superbombs of their own over the course of the Twenty-First Century.

How that is even possible? Germany and USA got their own superbomb even earlier that USA in OTL. I would had imaginated that there would had been already for or five other nations which would had possessed superbombs.

How that is even possible? Germany and USA got their own superbomb even earlier that USA in OTL. I would had imaginated that there would had been already for or five other nations which would had possessed superbombs.
The US and Germany assassinating nuclear scientists in other countries maybe? The US killed Fitzbelmont to keep him from jumping ship to Japan or somebody else after all

At the very least, I recall that one of the non-negotiable decrees for American funding for the Russian Republic was to cease their superbomb program immediately.

Aside from Francisco Jose II (who I know got executed like OTL Maximilian did), what happened to the rest of the Mexican imperial family after the Republic was declared in 1945? Have they been co-opted by Neo-fascists/neo-freedomites to contrast with the American backed Republican government?

In TTL, the rest of Mexico’s royal family were exiled. The former dynasty briefly settled in Spain, before settling in Austria-Hungary as their permanent place of exile.

In 2021, there is no nostalgia in Mexico for the imperial regime, and no organization of any note calling for the dynasty’s restoration.

Last edited:
Hi David! I’m curious to know what ever became of Abner Dowling after the SGW ITTL? Also, I’ve been curious about Morgan Reynolds. When was the third Republican POTUS born? What led him into serving in the 4PW? Sorry for the double question!

Abner Dowling, after he retired, wrote a two volume memoir of his time in the US military during the two Great Wars. He died in 1955.

Dowling’s critical account in his memoirs of George Armstrong Custer would later serve as one of the sources for the epic Custer trilogy of biopics by Fred Niall later in the Twentieth Century, especially the last two films in the trilogy (Custer on the Barrel Roll and Emperor Custer).

-
Morgan Reynolds was born in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1931. His family, while opposed to the US military occupation, were also opposed to violent insurrection, believing that it would never lead to independence. The Reynolds family would ultimately accept US citizenship when the military occupation came to an end in British Columbia, but were not exactly happy when Morgan Reynolds volunteered for US military service in 1959. Although Reynolds managed to complete basic training, his skill at foreign languages would eventually come to the attention of the OSS. It was through the OSS that Reynolds would eventually become an instrumental part of the ultimately successful liaison program between the OSS and the National Reconstruction Army in China immediately before and during the Fourth Pacific War.

I was writing under the assumption that with a POD of 1862, weather systems around the world, since they would be impacted by human activity (such as industrial production) would result in different weather-related events.

The US doesn’t control a single electrical grid that encompasses North America in TTL. However, the US has acted to ensure that key infrastructure in neighboring countries with an international aspect are standardized and tied into existing US infrastructure.