Titanic Disaster--Even Worse

The sinking of RMS Titanic in April 1912, is often a subject of speculation. What if they’d sighted the iceberg sooner? What if the Californian had been more alert? What if the crew had been more resourceful? Every speculation I’ve come across has been looking at how things might have ended better than they really did.

This speculation takes a different tack. What if things had been worse? Much worse?

Suppose instead of the iceberg flooding five compartments, suppose Titanic had hit the berg at such an angle that it had ripped open ALL of the compartments? Torn her open from stem to stern?

The ship would have gone down in a matter of minutes. It’s entirely possible there wouldn’t have been time to launch any of the lifeboats. It’s possible that there would have been no survivors at all.

With the engine room flooded and the electrical gear shorted out so quickly, it’s possible no distress signal could have been sent.

As far as the rest of the world was concerned all they would know is that Titanic had stopped sending wireless signals. That wouldn’t raise any concerns. Wireless was brand new and not all that reliable.

When she didn’t arrive at New York on schedule, there would be some concern, but no real alarm for at least a day. After a day, signals would go out asking if anyone had seen Titanic. After another day, the third after the sinking, people would really become alarmed and a deliberate search would be started.

Some debris might be found, but it would be hundreds of miles away from the site of the sinking by then. Eventually, after a week or so, people would have to suspect the ship had sunk. After a few weeks it would be almost certain she had gone down. But why? How? Speculation and rumors would run rampant.

The location of the wreck could be anywhere in ten thousand square miles of ocean. It’s quite possible it would never be found.

The disappearance of Titanic would be one of the greatest mysteries of all time.

You want another disaster option have her not see the Iceburg at all and ram at full speed into the burg.

That could have only crushed the bow and a couple of forward compartments permitting the ship to remain afloat as all the other compartments would be unflooded.

Or would the force of impact be enough to cause the boilers to explode?

Well, aliens, of course, right? Or was 1912 too early for alien conspiracies?
Just in case, no, I'm not endorsing it, but in such a situation, how many people would believe "the mistery of the Titanic" had supernatural origins?

I have seen claims that various things would have happened, starting with ripping the boilers from thier mounts to ruptureing a lot of the seams and not just those in the fron compartment,
Then you have the question of distorting the bulkheads and thus can you seal the doors?

I am not an expert but a direct hit is going to put a huge amount of energy into the ship that has to go someplace. And that is going to do a lot of damage and not just crumple the front.

Add in the injury to passengers and crew from the sudden stop and it could get ugly, remember in otl the impact was relatively lite and some people didn’t notice it all that much. You are NOT getting that with a direct hit. Everyone on the ship will know.

And as an aside it is possible (maybe not very likely, but I think possible) that the officer on the bridge may just decide to hit full on as to avoid the side swiping gash that doomed her in the real world.

That could have only crushed the bow and a couple of forward compartments permitting the ship to remain afloat as all the other compartments would be unflooded.

Or would the force of impact be enough to cause the boilers to explode?

A 45,000 ton ship hitting an iceberg dead on at 23 or so knots probably rips the keel off the hull, pops off most if not all of the ships rivets, and the thing sinks in minutes most likely killing everyone on board.

A 45,000 ton ship hitting an iceberg dead on at 23 or so knots probably rips the keel off the hull, pops off most if not all of the ships rivets, and the thing sinks in minutes most likely killing everyone on board.
Well, that works for my scenario as well :) The main thing is that a huge ship with 2,200 passengers and crew, many of them very rich and famous, just disappears with almost no trace.

Well, that works for my scenario as well :) The main thing is that a huge ship with 2,200 passengers and crew, many of them very rich and famous, just disappears with almost no trace.

Here to help! As far as your scenario: it sounds like a fun timeline actually. The most immediate impact (IMO) is that the drive to get enough lifeboats on a ship for every passenger may go away without Titanic's OTL sinking.

So it’d be similar to how we’re dealing with MH370 IOTL, but in that era’s technologocial capabilities. We’d have everything from it vanishing, to an act of God, to it being pirated somewhere, to the ice berg theory or some other more realisitic scenarios.

In OTL, the wreckage was discovered in 1985. It may take a little longer, but somebody would track the course from planned route and wireless signals and by now, find it. Underwater cameras would reveal a ripped hull and sinking scenarios would be circulated.

We had the head-on collision thread a while back. There was quite a mix of views over what would happen. The deceleration as the bow crumples is acceptable and shouldn't cause anything alarming in the boilers. The deformation is concentrated in the deforming area - i.e. the bow - and may well be survivable, depending on distortions and sprung rivets away from the crush zone.

Edward Wilding from H&W estimated that "The momentum of the ship would have crushed in the bows for 80 or perhaps 100 feet...I do not think there are any third class passengers forward of the second bulkhead, and I believe she would have stopped before the second bulkhead was damaged. It is entirely crew there, and almost entirely firemen - firemen, trimmers, and greasers...As it would take a considerable length, 80 or 100 feet to bring up, it is not a shock, it is a pressure that lasts three or four seconds, five seconds perhaps, and whilst it is a big pressure it is not in the nature of a sharp blow..."

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/wi-titanic-sinks-without-a-trace.420445/

People were a bit more excepting of “things happen” and “people die” back then. By this I mean they will assume/accept that the ship sank. You won’t see much if anything along the ideas of “pirates” or other oddball ideas. The reason it sank maybe debated a bit but everyone will pretty much agree it HAS sunk. You won’t even see any of the submarine torpedo bit. People Bach then lived at a time when death was more prevalent and random and when technology killed a lot more people. If you look at all the different technology that had a tendency to kill people in the last few decades of the 1800s and the first couple of the 1900s you will see a lot more people killed by things that would cause guts today. Be it trains airplanes or any other technology. So I don’t think you will get any strange ideas about what happened to Titanic it will just accept that something happened and she sank.
That is until the 1960-80 time frame then you will see all sorts of strange ideas about what happened to it. At least until it is found.
Probably one thing you will see is the Beginning of Close Encounters of the Third Kind will feature the Titanic.

In OTL, the wreckage was discovered in 1985. It may take a little longer, but somebody would track the course from planned route and wireless signals and by now, find it. Underwater cameras would reveal a ripped hull and sinking scenarios would be circulated.
I don't know. Even with positional data from Titanic and the rescue ships, it still took quite a bit of searching to find her. In this scenario, she could have gone down anywhere on a line 500 miles long or more. A whole lot more area to search. And as I recall, even with the real wreck, the actual hull damage was buried in the mud and could not be seen. In my scenario, she would probably had gone down in one piece and the damage might again be concealed.

Without the coal fire on the side it was struck, Titanic's natural list isn't cancelled out and it probably capsizes within an hour.

SsgtC

Banned
Here to help! As far as your scenario: it sounds like a fun timeline actually. The most immediate impact (IMO) is that the drive to get enough lifeboats on a ship for every passenger may go away without Titanic's OTL sinking.
It would be delayed, it wouldn't go away entirely. The Board of Trade was already looking at updating the lifeboat requirements for passenger vessels prior to Titanic's sinking. Titanic just nudged them to speed it up and go from "more lifeboats" to "enough lifeboats for everyone."

SsgtC

Banned
Without the coal fire on the side it was struck, Titanic's natural list isn't cancelled out and it probably capsizes within an hour.
Probably not. Unlike the Lusitania, her watertight compartments weren't divided by a longitudinal bulkhead. So she'll flood fairly evenly. She probably only lists 2-5 degrees more than OTL. Certainly not enough to cause her to capsize. And definitely not within an hour.

Last edited:
Just in case, no, I'm not endorsing it, but in such a situation, how many people would believe "the mistery of the Titanic" had supernatural origins?

1912 was too early for aliens - the conspiracy theories would more likely involve German/Jewish/Anarchist sabatoge, and then claims that it was what we'd call a false flag to pin the blame on the Germans/Jews/Anarchists. You would probably see a big revival of interest, and the beginnings of an alien connection, in the 1970s. I can definitely see The Mystery of the Titanic being an episode of In Search Of (the one with Leonard Nimoy and a whole lot of theremin) and about five of Ancient Aliens.

godzillahater.jpg

If they had awaken Godzilla instead of just running into his sleeping body.
(What? this is not ASB. Oh Sorry.)