Tips on designing fascist flags?

The people of this site have made some very good fascist flags. How do you go about that? I know that nationalism is a good place to start, but how do you make it look specifically fascist rather than merely generically nationalist? What's some universal fascist symbolism, especially color-wise?

Last edited:
Nationalist symbols, fasces, things that looks like swastikas, eagles, black things with sharp edges... White, red or black backgrounds are also in use.

The 1930s aesthetic is associated with fascism, so you want to avoid soft, thin, and organic features in your design as much as possible. A fascist eagle on a flag, for example, is going to look like its made of metal, is mean, and is not highly detailed.

To understand fascist symbolism you need to know what differentiates fascism from generic nationalism. I highly recommend reading The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert Paxton. Paxton is the authority on fascism, whose earlier work Vichy France, Old Guard and New Order, 1940-1944 is widely considered ground-breaking when it comes to Vichy France, and made Paxton important enough to be called to testify at the trial of Maurice Papon, who was convicted for crimes against humanity in 1998.

Fascism may be defined as a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive vigilance and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion.

So, asides from very overtly nationalist symbolism you also need strong, primary colors. Red, white, and black obviously, but also any primary colors with traditional connotations; for example the the Irish, Brazilian, British, Croatian, Chinese, Greek, and Slovak fascist movements all made strong use of the color blue, while the Arrow Cross, Ba'athists, and Estado Novo featured green, and Francoist Spain made use of yellow in its imagery. So it'll depend on what state you want your fascist flag to be for.

Goldstein

Banned
So, asides from very overtly nationalist symbolism you also need strong, primary colors. Red, white, and black obviously, but also any primary colors with traditional connotations; for example the the Irish, Brazilian, British, Croatian, Chinese, Greek, and Slovak fascist movements all made strong use of the color blue, while the Arrow Cross, Ba'athists, and Estado Novo featured green, and Francoist Spain made use of yellow in its imagery. So it'll depend on what state you want your fascist flag to be for.

This, but apart from primary colours, I'll reccomend you to search the national symbology associated to the country for which you're making the Fascist flag. Some simple graphic symbol with a mithological or esotherical meaning is the best choice, but it must be remade as stylized as possible. If it looks aggresive and modern, it's easily identifiable, it links with the country's mythos, and it's simple enough to make a graffiti of it, you're doing it right.

Whatever the details, the end result should be the visual equivalent of a punch. A proper fascist flag comes out swinging. It should convey the message "We aren't to be screwed with ," in as nasty a tone as possible.

I'm just popping in to say is that only here on AH.com can a thread be titled as such with innocent intent.

Can't go wrong with:
  • Eagles
  • Lightning
  • Actual fasces
  • Black
  • Red
  • Old weapons
  • Black eagles holding red lightning, fasces, and old weapons

Also good idea: Whatever clothing color your fascists are fans of (Black Shirts, Brown Shirts, Blue Shirts, Silver Shirts, Black Shorts...).

Black, red and nationalist symbols work best. Here's a flag I designed and my friend put special effects on for a short story I wrote about a fascist France:

Click here.

It got some positive feedback. Are there any specific countries you're looking for?

I not it's easier for some countries than others. Just turn the maple leaf black and you have the needed colours along with a sharp angled national symbol.:eek: (It might actually be simple enough to overcome our laziness!)

Thande

Donor
I not it's easier for some countries than others. Just turn the maple leaf black and you have the needed colours along with a sharp angled national symbol.:eek: (It might actually be simple enough to overcome our laziness!)

You need more right angles really. Here's how I would turn the Canadian maple leaf into a fascist symbol. (Note the 'fortress towers' symbolism).

Fascist Canada.png

Wolfpaw

Banned
Looks a bit Commie, actually. The bottom of the maple leaf makes it look like a sort of weirdly stylized red star.

What about this? (without the writing, of course)
Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Logo.gif