Tiny Nationalist South China

How could this [potentiall change the Vietnam War if at all?

The North Vietnamese, with a large US proxy so close, might be less inclined to push matters.

However, a larger ROC involvement in the Vietnam War might draw the Chinese in, and the conflict could mushroom.

ninebucks

Banned
I think we're thinking to small here. If the KMT realised earlier which way the winds were turning, I'm fairly sure they could manage to maintain control of Guangdong (which was the primary region occupied by the KMT before the Northern Expeditions) and Fujian (whose island are in OTL administered by ROC), aswell as Hainan.

(But then again, I have a bad habit of always attempting to include an independent Cantonese polity in my TLs...)

However, with all this land for the Nationalists to settle in the South, we probably won't see so large a migration to Taiwan... meaning that Indigenous Taiwanese will remain dominant, but persecuted... perhaps leading to a very active Taiwanese secessionist movement?

I think we're thinking to small here. If the KMT realised earlier which way the winds were turning, I'm fairly sure they could manage to maintain control of Guangdong (which was the primary region occupied by the KMT before the Northern Expeditions) and Fujian (whose island are in OTL administered by ROC), aswell as Hainan.

(But then again, I have a bad habit of always attempting to include an independent Cantonese polity in my TLs...)

However, with all this land for the Nationalists to settle in the South, we probably won't see so large a migration to Taiwan... meaning that Indigenous Taiwanese will remain dominant, but persecuted... perhaps leading to a very active Taiwanese secessionist movement?

Actually, Taiwan could very well be left in Japanese hands.

Hendryk

Banned
Actually, Taiwan could very well be left in Japanese hands.
The retrocession of Taiwan to China had been a demand of the ROC since its foundation, and it was formally agreed upon at the Tehran Summit in 1943, so the Nationalists would have no reason whatsoever to change their minds about it. In psychological terms, Taiwan was as important to China as Alsace-Lorraine was to France. Anyway, how could Jiang explain that, after eight years of total war against Japan and the sacrifice of millions of Chinese lives, Japan could on second thought remain in control of some Chinese territory?

that would be mine. the big difference between what is being discussed and my map is that i have the ROC hold on to Hainan as well as the Leizhou Peninsula. I also have a far more aggressive PRC which leads to the British and Portugese renegotiating the status of Hong Kong/The New Territories and Macau and decideding that they had no agreement with the Communist Government so in 1997 and 1999 their respective governments return the colonial holdings to the ROC.

This map might not be good for the proposals of this thread, as it is predicated on the ROC being alligned with a regionally powerful (and nuclear) Empire of Japan to the north.

The retrocession of Taiwan to China had been a demand of the ROC since its foundation, and it was formally agreed upon at the Tehran Summit in 1943, so the Nationalists would have no reason whatsoever to change their minds about it. In psychological terms, Taiwan was as important to China as Alsace-Lorraine was to France. Anyway, how could Jiang explain that, after eight years of total war against Japan and the sacrifice of millions of Chinese lives, Japan could on second thought remain in control of some Chinese territory?

How Chinese the territory was could be disputed, however. Furthermore, the Japanese took "Formosa" in Century XIX. Their most recent war with the Chinese started after 1900.

Faeelin

Banned
How Chinese the territory was could be disputed, however. Furthermore, the Japanese took "Formosa" in Century XIX. Their most recent war with the Chinese started after 1900.

The territory would be more likely to go to Australia than to Japan, and it ain't going to Australia.

How French Alsace-Lorraine was could be disputed, however. Furthermore, the Japanese took "Alsatien-Lotharingen" in Century XIX. Their most recent war with the French started after 1900. And yet France was desperate to retake A-L... I think the Chinese desire for Taiwan was similar.

I could imagine Tianemen (sp?) mushrooming into a sort of "Beijing Commune" more so than it causing anything outside of the capital, particularly very far away in the south.

How French Alsace-Lorraine was could be disputed, however. Furthermore, the Japanese took "Alsatien-Lotharingen" in Century XIX. Their most recent war with the French started after 1900. And yet France was desperate to retake A-L... I think the Chinese desire for Taiwan was similar.

Historically, France was more important to the West than China. Furthermore, the history of A-L is rather more complicated than that of Taiwan. That said, I'd like to read the TL wherein the Japanese capture Alsace-Lorraine in century XIX:p

It wouldn't.

No one was going to let Japan keep Taiwan, which was perceived as one of the earliest examples of Japanese imperialism.

I was under the impression that the Americans were contemplating letting Japan keep the island, but I may be mistaken.

Faeelin

Banned
I was under the impression that the Americans were contemplating letting Japan keep the island, but I may be mistaken.

Where'd you hear that It seems kinda weird, given how FDR thought Chiang was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I mean, FDR was tossing around the idea of giving Vietnam to the Chinese as a protectorate.

Last edited: