Thunder from the Danube: A First Bulgarian Empire TL

Entry No. 1: Death Changes the Fate of a Nation

Strange events can certainly lead to strange results, as one single act can decide the fate of either one ruler or an entire nation. From a change in tactics during the battle, or a premature death that leads to a fratricidal war, it depends on how the response will turn out. Furthermore, this particular premature death of a young heir to the throne of a newly rising nation close to the edge of the Byzantine Empire will have a different set of consequences.

-----

Vladimir-Rasate’s decision to personally lead the attack against the Serbian forces commanded by Knyaz Mutimir was the subject of an intense controversy that plagued even modern day scholars and historians. Surely the eldest son of Khan Boris would have been advised to be careful on the battlefield and yet Rasate ignored this advice given by one of his lieutenants. It was a foolhardy mistake that tragically led to his death. His horse suffered a wound, causing the Bulgarian prince to fall off his horse before a Serbian infantryman swung his sword at him. While Rasate and his soldiers kept pushing on forward, hoping to win against Mutimir’s forces, the Serbian contingent army fiercely resisted. It was not until he noticed a gash in his chest that he coughed up some blood. As Rasate climbed on an unused horse abandoned by a dead Bulgarian horseman, he failed to notice a spearman impaling him in the chest. By the time the Bulgarian soldiers saw their leader fall into battle, they hastily retreated from the battlefield, but Mutimir will have the unfortunate task of delivering the dead prince back to his father, Khan Boris.(1)

Boris was devastated and stunned when he and his guards arrived at the Serbian camp as Mutimir approached him. The Bulgarian Khan expected his Serbian counterpart to present some conditions for peace. To his surprise, Mutimir simply brought the corpse of Boris’s son and did not talk much. Both leaders simply desired for peace but as for the Serbian Knyaz, there is much to gain from playing the Bulgarians and the Byzantines off against each other while gaining concessions. Serbia was still in its infancy and in a region where empires would wage wars for decades in order to gain supremacy over the other, Mutimir needed to display a sense of pragmatism in order to survive. As for Boris, while a pro-Byzantine ruler of Serbia can be utilized to cause trouble against Bulgaria, he chose to hold a series of negotiations down the road. Within the Bulgarian court, the death of Vladimir-Rasate had shocked the nobility as they feared that Gavrail would succeed Boris. Not that Gavrail was any better than Vladimir-Rasate, but no one knew how Gavrail will lead Bulgaria should Boris either abdicate or die earlier.

Over the Steppes:

Over in the Khazar Khaganate, the tribes that make up the so-called Hungarian confederacy rebelled against their Khazar overlords and moved westward and settled in a region the Hungarians called Etelkoz. Once settled in that region, the Hungarians had to face a new kind of people: the Varangians and the East Slavs. Even though there was an entity called the Rus’ Khaganate that was established in the north, the prize that both the Varangians and the Hungarians would eventually encounter was a prestigious settlement called Kiev. It was the settlement and town that the Varangians and Hungarians would eventually clash over, with the trade routes that the Varangians controlled between the Black Sea and the Baltic, while the Hungarians almost have nothing to possess and were searching for a permanent homeland that they can claim as their own.

Thus it was not surprising when the Hungarians decided to launch their raids up north instead of in the south against the Varangians because of the danger they posed to Etelkoz. Between 854 and 859 AD, the Hungarians would face constant attacks from the Varangians and the Pechenegs. Even after 859 AD, the Varangians and the Pechenegs could not dislodge the Hungarians from Etelkoz. The Khazars expected the Hungarian tribes to return from Etelkoz once the Varangians and the Pechenegs surround them from two sides, but they’ve been so focused on the departing Hungarians that they did not notice the growing threat from the east. The Kimek Khanate controlled the trade routes between the known worlds of China, Persia and Byzantium, so they were in a peculiar position to wrest concessions from traders who traveled through their territories.

The Kimeks and the Kipchaks were the main tribes who controlled the Kimek Khanate, and the growth of the Khazar state threatened their position in this lucrative trade. Thus in October of 859 AD, the Kimek Khan sent an envoy to the Hungarians to wage war upon the Pechenegs long enough for the Kimeks to launch their expansionist campaign against the Khazars, with the promise of integrating the Hungarian tribes into their confederation. It took a month for the Kimek envoys to reach the Hungarian camp, but during the winter of 860 the Hungarians had expanded their realm to the gates of Kiev. Along the way, they managed to subdue the East Slavic tribes living within the proximity of Etelkoz and the Dnieper River, but their control over these unpredictable tribes could be lost at anytime.

-----

The Byzantine Empire at this time was in the middle of a campaign against the Abbasids as Michael III was in the middle of his attack on Samosata, a stronghold of the Abbasids on Byzantium’s eastern frontier. It was at this time that the Kimek envoys returned to their homeland with the news that the Hungarians agreed to wage war against the Pechenegs as a Kimek ally while the Kimeks and KIpchaks would wage war against the Khazars. Without any raids staged from the north, Michael III was able to storm Samosata and force its Arab defenders to surrender. Yet once the Byzantine Emperor secured the eastern regions, he received news from a Khazar emissary that his master’s domains were under attack by other nomads and requested an audience with the Emperor himself. Michael III could not accept the Khazar offer, but he agreed to hold a meeting with the Khazar ruler himself in Samosata to discuss a possible alliance and eventual conversion of the Khazar Khaganate to Christianity. At the same time, an emissary from the Emirate of Armenia arrived, along with Prince Smbat, the father of Armenia’s first Bagratid King Ashot I, arrived in the same fortress.

Armenia and the Khazars had both requested an audience with Michael III because of the danger that the Abbasids had posed on their states, despite the former’s control by the Arabs. Yet the Armenians also wanted to restore their kingdom in the hopes of spreading Christianity to the Turkic khanates in the north, but through their Apostolic Oriental Rite instead of the Byzantine Greek rite. The Byzantines on the other hand, were not comfortable with the Armenian aspirations to spread its cultural influence among the nomadic groups operating in the north and at the same time, Michael III grew worried that his Bulgarian neighbor might adopt Christianity of the Western Rite or adopt the Islamic faith that his Arab adversaries had professed. Yet the Khazars had to maintain neutrality in religious matters because of their control of the steppe and the trade routes that they also possess, in addition to the Silk Road trade routes the Kimeks controlled. So while they refused to adopt the Muslim faith, they balked at the idea of converting to Christianity. It was because of these differences that Judaism became popular with the Khazar elite. Thus the Byzantines would either have to rely on converting the Khazars’ enemies to the Christian faith or the Armenians will have to send their missionaries to the Kimeks, Kipchaks, Hungarian tribes and even the Volga Bulgarians.

----

So guys, this is my first attempt to actually create a TL that focuses on the most interesting empire in Europe besides the Byzantines and the Franks: the First Bulgarian Empire. I'm surprised that no one has actually tried to make this kind of TL, seeing as there are several Byzantine TLs that talk about a surviving Byzantine Empire.

Hopefully that this TL about Bulgaria (other than BgKnight's A lion Rises over the Balkans) could generate some interests from you guys. I will definitely keep Russia around for sure, though I'm not sure if that is going to work since I also want to experiment with the Hungarians establishing a state in the east, the Cumans too and Khazars. Just tell me what should their fates be.

I will try to include maps here too, as well as using different colors if it works.

----

(1) The PoD: Vladimir-Rasate is killed during the Bulgarian invasion of Serbia in 854 AD. I'm not sure when Gavrail was born, but it is assumed that he would have been a young child by the time his big brother died. Though Simeon will still be born, the succession would be a lot easier for Khan Boris.

Last edited:
If this delays the conversion of Bulgaria into Orthodoxy, and wanks the Bulgars, I'm truly all ears! ;)

Unfortunately, that may not be the case. However, the Hungarians and Kimeks (plus their Kipchak allies) and maybe the Cumans could end up as Christians.

Deleted member 67076

Huh, so we get an earlier Simeon? Nice.

I hope the Bulgars can take out the the Hungarians and keep Pannonia. Maybe even expand westward up to Francia.

Huh, so we get an earlier Simeon? Nice.

I hope the Bulgars can take out the the Hungarians and keep Pannonia. Maybe even expand westward up to Francia.

Hungarians might, and I am stressing the word "might", end up taking the Rus' out of the equation and they end up becoming an analogue of Russia. Or the Cumans, that is.

I could go for the irony factor and have the Khazars scatter in the same way the Bulgars had gone, with a Khazar "Asparukh" settling in either Anatolia or Sogdiana.

Deleted member 67076

Hungarians might, and I am stressing the word "might", end up taking the Rus' out of the equation and they end up becoming an analogue of Russia. Or the Cumans, that is.

I could go for the irony factor and have the Khazars scatter in the same way the Bulgars had gone, with a Khazar "Asparukh" settling in either Anatolia or Sogdiana.
The Hungarians will have a lot of work to do if they want to displace the Rus.

Go for Sogdiana! That could give the Khazars control over arguably more trade routes than before.

Deleted member 6086

Following!

I'm far from an expert on this era and my knowledge is basically limited to what I've learned in school (I've always found modern history easier to relate to, somehow), so this is a learning experience for me, too. Just to clarify, this is before the Hungarians migrated to their modern lands, right?

Again, don't take me for granted on this, but one of the major reasons for the First Empire's downfall was ironically Simeon I. He failed to fulfill his ambition of gaining the Byzantine throne and his endless wars exhausted Bulgaria to the extent that first Svietoslav, then the Byzantines (and the brilliant Basil II) were able to take advantage of this. Even so, it took forty years for the Empire to finally fall.

The Hungarians will have a lot of work to do if they want to displace the Rus.

Go for Sogdiana! That could give the Khazars control over arguably more trade routes than before.
Oh, don't worry; they'll have the help of the Kimek Khanate before long. That is the Khanate that will have Kipchaks on it, and the precursor of the Cuman-Kipchak Confederation which I am hoping that will displace the Rus' and possibly become Christian of the Armenian Rite.

Following!

I'm far from an expert on this era and my knowledge is basically limited to what I've learned in school (I've always found modern history easier to relate to, somehow), so this is a learning experience for me, too. Just to clarify, this is before the Hungarians migrated to their modern lands, right?

Again, don't take me for granted on this, but one of the major reasons for the First Empire's downfall was ironically Simeon I. He failed to fulfill his ambition of gaining the Byzantine throne and his endless wars exhausted Bulgaria to the extent that first Svietoslav, then the Byzantines (and the brilliant Basil II) were able to take advantage of this. Even so, it took forty years for the Empire to finally fall.

ITTL Simeon would be far more shrewd than OTL. For instance, Simeon would have to gain allies that will not only protect his domains, but he needs to be creative in his expansionist plans. If he cannot attack Constantinople directly, he could try and expand into Bithynia. He can definitely continue the peace treaty that was signed by his father Boris I, but I will definitely have a ton of players that can screw around with the Byzantines long enough to see what Simeon is up to.

Serbia is one of the states that Bulgaria will have to make friends with instead of directly conquering them because they provide a useful buffer between the Bulgarians and the increasingly Catholicized Croatian Kingdom. Or that was the case before the next update.

Then again, since I am now the first author to actually publish a TL about the First Bulgarian Empire, any output (even if small) will be immensely helpful, especially on Europe, Africa and Asia.

Last edited:
Entry No. 2: A Prize worth Dying For

Kiev was like a glittering jewel that lures would-be empire builders into its presence, though the conflict over such a great city and its peoples would have an effect far beyond their borders. The Hungarian tribesmen were in luck; Kiev had no such rulers who stood as the symbol of authority. Along with their Slavic vassals, the Hungarians began to move towards Kiev with the purpose of establishing their own state to counter their Khazar enemies in the winter of 860 AD. By the time the leader of the Hungarians called out to the inhabitants of Kiev to negotiate, the local nobility there asked if the Hungarian tribes meant to force the Kievans into paying tribute to them. The Hungarian leader responded by requesting for shelter to escape from the cold, but the second nobleman responded back by giving news about a different nomadic raiding group marauding around the area. The Hungarian tribes offered to take out the marauders for them, causing the Kievan nobility to grant temporary refuge to these tribesmen.

The Hungarians wasted no time in looking for the intruders the Kievans mentioned and were pleasantly surprised that it was none other than the Pechenegs. Thus the two sides began to fight each other for a long time. Pecheneg camps were established on the right side of the Dnieper River with the Khazars’ permission while the Hungarians naturally relied on the inhabitants of Kiev. The conflict would eventually drag on for three days until the Khazar leadership felt that it was necessary to help the Pechenegs out and to bring the wayward Hungarian tribes back under their control. Khagan Benjamin of the Khazars personally led his army out to confront the Hungarians and he also tempted the Volga Bulgars to help him in stopping the Hungarians. At the same time, Benjamin also authorized the expansion o Khazaria’s borders up to within the proximity of the Volga Bulgar state in order to facilitate the Volga Bulgars’ participation in the war against the Hungarians.

Khazaria’s conflict against the Hungarian tribesmen would eventually last for over a month and a half as the Hungarians also had help from the Kimek Khanate, which launched its attack on Khazaria’s Central Asian territory. Benjamin was forced to divert 5,000 of his best troops to deal with the Kimek threat, but the Volga Bulgar reinforcements were enough to compensate for the departing troops. At this point, the situation in the Khazar lands and its borders were of great concern for the Byzantines due to the possibility of a Khazar collapse having a negative effect on Byzantium’s eastern borders and the potential expansion of Arab presence in Anatolia and the Caucasus. Even worse, the Kimeks had found the 5,000 Khazar warriors close to the Ural River tributary and proceeded to attack them. The devastating defeat that the Kimeks gave to the Khazars in the southern region of the Ural River resulted in the Khazar loss of its Central Asian territory to the Kimeks. Benjamin still opted to attack the Hungarians, despite the Kimek army approaching the capital city of Atil.

Before the Khazars returned back to their capital, Benjamin offered some furs and gold to the Kievan population to eject the Hungarian tribes out of their city plus an additional offer of Khazar protection in exchange for the Slavic tribes under Hungarian control to rebel. The Hungarian tribes were caught unprepared for the rebellion launched by their Slavic subjects as they soon lost the control of Kiev and the Khazars were able to surround the remaining Hungarian tribes. Benjamin was not in the mood to give mercy to the Hungarian tribes and yet he could not afford to eliminate the Hungarian tribes entirely. So he decided to have the leaders of the rebelling Hungarian tribes executed and their peoples would be exiled eastwards. The Kimek Khanate welcomed the Hungarian tribes fleeing from Khazar terror, who instantly resettled them in the Irtysh River region.

-----

Boris was not idle in Preslav when news of the Khazar conflict with the Hungarians reached him through his reliable aides. He had enough on his plate with regards to the Byzantine threat on his frontier and with the unstable border in the west; he could not afford to get involved in another war. Though it would be three years before his conversion to Christianity and the start of the Bulgarian Church’s creation, Boris also had to deal with Christian subjects that were subjected to persecution from the Bulgar nobility. It was known only in the inner circle that Boris’s sister converted to Christianity while she visited Constantinople and that there is a rift between the two siblings. Yet it did not stop Boris from seeking his sister’s council when it comes to topics that are not related to religion in general, though when it comes to actual warfare, Boris’s sister was absent.

Although the Bulgarians were not yet converted to Christianity, there was an effort by the neighboring state called Great Moravia to accept the Christian faith. As Great Moravia’s ruler Rastislav turned to the Byzantines for help in their adoption of Christianity, Boris felt threatened by the potential anti-Bulgarian coalition set against them and even cancelled plans for war against Croatia in favor of building an anti-Byzantine coalition that will consist of Bulgaria, Croatia and Serbia (its rulers have been forced to pay tribute to Boris instead of Michael III). Boris gathered the Serb and Croat military leaders in Pliska for a discussion of how they plan to deal with their enemies in the north. Although Trpimir I was a Frankish vassal, the Frankish rulers allowed him to attend the meeting in Bulgaria because Boris had plans for a Croatian role in their war against the Byzantines. It was also at this meeting that Trpimir I and Mutimir of Serbia exchanged formal recognition and demarcated the borders of their realms.

Unfortunately, Trpimir I was overthrown when he returned to Croatia in May of 860 AD when Croatian forces in opposition to his authority and was supported by the Byzantine Empire blocked his path to Solin and arrested him. Zdeslav of Croatia succeeded his father but the Latin Catholic influence was still prominent in the Croatian lands, and so Zdeslav was compelled to align himself with the Frankish rulers instead of the Bulgarians, even though the Franks and Bulgarians were in the same alliance. In the same month however, Trpimir was killed in secret by soldiers belonging to a rival knez named Domagoj, who hoped to gain some concessions from the House of Trpimirovic and the right to lead the Croatian nation. Domagoj however, wanted to turn towards Constantinople and formed an alliance with the Moravians. Fearing a possible outbreak of conflict on their border, Mutimir of Serbia would send his son Pribislav and 14,000 soldiers to the Serbian border with Croatia in case the Croats were to be provoked by the Byzantines into attacking the Serbs, although the attack never came.

Prince_Rastislav.JPG

Knez Rastislav, as depicted in the icon.

Domagoj wasted no time in consolidating his power base, as demonstrated by the July 6th execution of Trpimir’s sons in Knin as an example for anyone who might try and rebel against his authority. He also tried to bribe one of Mutimir’s sons into rebelling against his father and to re-align Serbia with Byzantium in the hopes of breaking Bulgarian power long enough for Croatia and Serbia to gain bits of Bulgarian territory. Unfortunately, the Franks decided to amass their army at their border with Croatia in case Domagoj decided to do anything foolish. Thus, Domagoj changed tactics and began to play off Byzantium and the Franks against each other in order to gain concessions from both sides. As Boris saw what Domagoj was doing, he began to do the same thing, forcing Mutimir to turn once again towards Constantinople in order to force the Bulgarians and Croats into paying attention to their de facto buffer zone.

No such events occurred from August of 860 AD onwards until the end of 862 in the rest of Europe, although Boris contemplated on converting to the Latin Catholic Rite as a way to ward off Byzantine influence in Bulgaria, when he offered to do so in exchange for an alliance with the Frankish King. When Byzantium threatened to invade Bulgaria in order to force Boris to reconsider, he duly did reconsider and agreed to convert to the Eastern Orthodox Rite. His decision would certainly affect Domagoj’s position because of Bulgaria’s forced re-alignment with the Byzantines and as a result, any plan to attack and annex Epirus was out of the question. However, Domagoj himself may have been motivated by the forced realignment when he decided to align himself with Rastislav of Great Moravia against Bulgaria by December of 860 AD.

The creation of the Glagolithic alphabet by Cyril and Methodius in Great Moravia had a profound effect on the Christianization of that state, as Glagolithic script enabled the two brothers to write and translate the Bible into Old Church Slavonic. As it was, Glagolithic would be used by both Great Moravia and Croatia until the creation of the simpler Cyrillic alphabet changed the translation works made by Cyril. As it was, Domagoj’s position was leaning a bit towards Constantinople because he did not want to remain a vassal of the Franks forever. Unfortunately, the Frankish ruler Carloman (thought to have been the Duke of Bavaria) responded by invading Croatia on February of 861 AD. However, Carloman was forced to retreat when it became apparent that the hilly terrains of Croatia could hinder his army’s advances. Yet despite the defeat of the Franks, Domagoj realized that the most dangerous threat came from the Franks. So three weeks after the Frankish invasion of Croatia, Domagoj requested for missionaries from the Franks and the Papacy as he finally decided to convert to Catholicism. News of Domagoj’s decision though, would spur Mutimir to make his request to Boris that he should be allowed to adopt Christianity for his people from any Orthodox missionaries, which at that time is only consisted of the Byzantines.

-----

So it looks like it will be the House of Domagojevic that will dominate Croatia instead of the Trpimirovic dynasty, which can certainly butterfly Tomislav's ascension. Yet at the same time, should Moravia go Catholic as in OTL or become Orthodox?

Next update though, will probably cover the rise of Russia. I know that I wanted to butterfly its existence but after exchanging PMs with BgKnight, I decided that the Rus' will still exist. Albeit they could also adopt Christianity from either the Byzantines (like IOTL), or even the Georgians or Armenians.

Orthodox Moravia! And Orthodoxy in Russia!

Realistically, Roman Orthodoxy (i.e. Byzantine Orthodoxy) would be the most prestigious branch available. Furthermore, the existence of Old Church Slavonic and the Cyrillic alphabet helps facilitate conversion to that particular branch of Christianity, as does its geographic proximity (comparative to the minor Georgians, who I believe were Chalcedonian Orthodox, and the geographically isolated, land-bound and minor Armenians).

Deleted member 6086

And to think for a moment there you had managed to do the impossible, i.e. ally Serbia and Croatia :). So we have a Bulgarian-Serbian alliance against Byzantium, Croatia and Moravia?

Will the Magyars establish a state in Central Asia?

And to think for a moment there you had managed to do the impossible, i.e. ally Serbia and Croatia :). So we have a Bulgarian-Serbian alliance against Byzantium, Croatia and Moravia?

Will the Magyars establish a state in Central Asia?

If the Moravians end up as Orthodox, then there would be a strong incentive for Domagoj to switch to the Orthodox Church or he gets the boot and Branimir becomes the first Orthodox ruler of Croatia.

At this point, the Hungarian tribes did include the Magyars but overall, there are seven tribes that make up the Hungarian tribal confederacy. If their numbers are bigger than that of the Kimeks, they could be in a position to create a "Hungarian Khaganate".

Last edited:
Orthodox Moravia! And Orthodoxy in Russia!

Realistically, Roman Orthodoxy (i.e. Byzantine Orthodoxy) would be the most prestigious branch available. Furthermore, the existence of Old Church Slavonic and the Cyrillic alphabet helps facilitate conversion to that particular branch of Christianity, as does its geographic proximity (comparative to the minor Georgians, who I believe were Chalcedonian Orthodox, and the geographically isolated, land-bound and minor Armenians).

The Georgians did try to convert the Kipchaks IOTL, and ironically enough, they were the ones who converted the Ossetians to Orthodoxy.

As for the Rus', keep in mind that they only got into the Dnieper trade routes because the Volga trade route was not the only option that they have. However, the Kimeks are also in the neighborhood should the Rus' expand eastwards and they may have a lot of work cut out for them due to the Hungarians being exiled to the Kimek Khanate.
Breaking News! Papist Catholicism is pushed out of Eastern Europe! :D

Not just yet, Domagoj is still considering the idea of becoming a Catholic, though should Bulgaria and Moravia become allies, chances are that the Croats would fall to Orthodoxy too. Great Moravia may also be in a position to conquer the lands we call OTL Poland.

And a little heads up: this is what the Croatian alphabet will look like if Croatia adopts the Orthodox faith:

Bos-cro-cyr.gif

Last edited:
That's a lot of rapid tactic-switching and diplomatic backpedaling. And coups.

Are the Hungarians more or less settled or will there be further migrations?

That's a lot of rapid tactic-switching and diplomatic backpedaling. And coups.

Are the Hungarians more or less settled or will there be further migrations?
What we all need to know is that there were a lot of diplomatic backpedaling even IOTL, where Boris once formed an alliance with the Franks before changing tactics to aligning himself with Byzantium.

The Hungarians would find out that since they outnumber the Kimeks and Kipchaks, they could end up usurping the Kimeks' authority and turn the Kimek Khanate into a Hungarian Khaganate.

Awesome TL man keep up the AWESOME WORK. PS can we get maps PLease.

I will when I get home from work.
Err, what happened to Zdeslav?

MarshalBraginsky said:
Domagoj wasted no time in consolidating his power base, as demonstrated by the July 6th execution of Trpimir’s sons in Knin as an example for anyone who might try and rebel against his authority.

All of Trpimir's sons, including Zdeslav, were executed in Knin.