Three Sisters' Brother (aka the Franco-Haudenosaunee Alliances)

Contents
Three Sisters’ Brother
aka the Franco–Haudenosaunee Alliances

Chapter I - Home
Chapter II - Kaswentha
Chapter III - A Letter to Marie
Chapter IV - The Assassination of Henry IV
Chapter V - Diplomacy before the Storm
Chapter VI - Hawk among the Sparrows
Chapter VII - The Enemies Within
Chapter VIII - Lament
Chapter IX - No City Upon This Hill

Chapter X - Sunday Morning Census
Chapter XI - Syrup in Paris
Map: People of the North-East
Chapter XII - Way of the Least Resistance

A Map of the TTL North-East in 1627.
Including TTL Placenames.
Detailed Description
here

What is this about? The what-if that got me into Alt-History. What if the French were more successful in Canada?
How does that work (aka POD)? In short, the French ally with the Haudenosaunee Confederacy(=Iroquois), not the Wendat (=Huron). The "Great Tabagie" of 1603, where the alliance against the Iroquois OTL had its root, does not happen.
Instead, the expedition in 1603 that attented this Tabagie devotes more time to explore the St. Lawrence River. As a result, they understand that the St. Lawrence River is the best beaver fur highway available. They settle Quebec in 1604, four years earlier than OTL - with all 80 men of a failed OTL 1604 colony.

AT the start of the 17th century French Canada was up to a rather rocky start. Attempts to found real colonies besides tiny outpost Tadoussac failed. Notably in Acadia (OTL Nova Scotia) in 1604 and 1606. Quebec in 1608 was the first settlement to stick around. The commander of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, had in 1603 already explored the St. Lawrence River and subsequently lobbied for Quebec as the first settlement in Canada. His (at this point) superiors, however, overruled him and decided for Acadia. Besides losing four years, settling Quebec in 1608 had two disadvantages: First, the colony in 1608 had worse funding (roughly a third of the colonists of the first attempt) and secondly the winter of 1608/9 offered especially unfriendly conditions. As a result, only 10 colonists survived the first winter – slowing down the growth of the colony massively again. Combined with the on/off confict with the Iroquois, Canada developed a terrible reputation for potential immigrants. Combined again with Cardinal Richelieu’s rather stupid ban of non-catholic settlers, Canada more and more lagged behind the British colonies populationwise.

Thanks to @Wolttaire for encouraging to try my hand at a TL again.

Edit: Changed Tin

Last edited:
Chapter I: Home
Chapter I : Home
Paris, Autumn 1603

Pah Champlain! You are an impertinent piece of shit” Pierre Dugua growled, "but a fucking persistent one!"
Sooo...that means yes?” Champlain responded with the confidence of a man knowing he had just won the argument.

Yeah. Yeah, you will have your Fort by that goddamned rock, for fucks sake. Kebeq or whatever the savages call it. Don’t fuck it up, bastard.”
Me? Sieur de Mons, if may I remind you. It is you, of course, who will be in charge of this expedition

You know what Champlain? Sometimes I’m truly getting sick of your smugness!” Most of the time however, Dugua quite liked his younger companion. Only 27 at the time Champlain had impressed him the year before, on their first voyage into the new world. Exploring the Great River of Canada [1] he had shown impressive leadership. And if he was that adamant about that rock, so be it.

Crossing the Atlantic could be a rather tedious and dangerous affair in these days, but in early 1604 the French expedition got lucky. Already by May 10th their ships, La Bonne-Renommée, Don de Dieu and the tiny 18-ton Levrier[2], anchored before Tadoussac. This array of crude shacks was everything the French had in Canada at this point. Located at the mouth of the River of Canada it was the door to Canada. And for canadian fur it was the door to Europe.
With Champlain and Dugua came 80 settlers. The investors behind Dugua really had opened their purses. Most of the colonists were skilled artisans. Some others were hunters, there were two surgeons and an apothecary. Even a detachment of 10 professional Swiss soldiers were hired to protect the colony. In short, a far cry from the underfunded convict coffin ships Europeans often sent over the pond in these days.
Also worth of note was a man called Mathieu da Costa. Born somewhere in Africa he had ended up with natives in Acadia for some years. There he learned their languages and customs. Highly he was sought after by almost every European trader in the North-East – but the French offered the most for his services.

Once in the New World, Champlain didn’t waste any time. On the Levrier, packed with men and supplies, he sailed ahead up the great stream. The two big ships in turn unloaded their cargo at Tadoussac. Under their Captain Pont-Gravé they were to trade during the summer and turn a profit for the investors behind the venture.
Having reached the site of future Quebec, Champlain and his men started clearing the land. Felling trees, sawing the logs and finally digging ditches and cellars. Another group’s job was to sail back and forth from Tadoussac to ferry supplies and other colonists.
There meanwhile Dugua and his men had assembled the two river barques brought over in parts. Using the three vessels, more and more men and supplies kept reaching the building site.

During the summer Champlain and Dugua relentlessly pushed their colonists, knowing how early Winter came in these lands. The men resented and more than once came close to open rebellion – but by Mid-August Quebec stood. Near the shore the French had erected a big storehouse and something they called Habitation. This complex vaguely resembled the miniature of a European Fortress.
A ditch that could only be crossed on a drawbridge was surrounding a palisade, which was defended cannons mounted on bastions. The complex inside then was a triangular array of living quarters, workshops, the forge, and the headquarters of the officers.
As the weather got colder a fearful mood befell Quebec. Everyone knew the dreading stories about these shores' frightening winters – and of how previous colonies had fared through them.

Scurvy came late. By February the colonists already were hopeful they had easily passed through winter. The interior of their Habitation slowly felt like home and they were keenly awaiting the onset of spring. But in the third week of February the first men fell ill. Neither the surgeons nor the Apothecary, Louis Hébert, knew how to help them. On the 10th March the first man died, two weeks later six men had succumbed to the mystifying disease.
When the Great River finally lost its icy cover by early April, 13 Frenchmen were dead and a third of the rest severely ill. As they were given freshly caught fish, however, they rather suddenly got better. The French this day found the oldest cure against scurvy: fresh meat.

Even with these losses, the French had mastered their first winter admirably – especially compared with other settlements in this time and place. Still having 67 men at their disposal and expecting even more from Pont-Gravé, who was to return in early June, Dugua and Champlain could actually think about exploration or even expansion.

As spring started in earnest, more and more natives came to have a look at the bearded men and their weird village by the shore. These Montagnais[3], Huron and Algonquin people quickly were intrigued by the kind reception they got there, by the gifts and by the sheer power these mysterious men wielded. It was not like that they did not know who the bearded foreigners were. It was more the number in which they showed up that surprised them – and their apparent desire to stay.
As their awe gave room to rational thinking, more and more these nations realized that the sedentary foreigners could prove valuable assistance. Since time immemorial a low-intensity conflict had been smoldering in this land. In the last years this conflict had turned into outright war – and they were losing it. The Iroquois had realized what riches selling beaver furs to the bearded foreigners could bring: They were pushing harder and harder into the valley of the Great Stream, where these traders could be found.
Having these foreigners weapons on their side with their thundering stick and shining metal could easily tilt the balance of power.

Conclusively, in spring a delegation of chiefs approached the settlement to negotiate a military alliance.
The French however were cautious. Who was this unknown nation to have all their neighbors shudder in fear?

[1] What OTL Champlain called the St. Lawrence River
[2] Note: No consensus if such ship actually participated in the OTL 1604 expedition. Name is taken from a actual ship of OTL 1608 expedition.

[3] contemporary French name for the Innu

Note: the name "Iroquois" OTL was first recorded by Champlain. Therefore it its the name he (and the French) would call them at this point, since they had no direct contact.

1604: Quebec is founded. During the Winter scurvy hits and kills some colonists, yet not enough to threathen the colony.
1605 (Spring): Native contacts are initiated. The first expedition west is being prepared.

Last edited:
Paris, Autumn 1603
Pah Champlain! You are an impertinent piece of shit” Pierre Dugua growled, „but a fucking persistent one!"
Sooo...that means yes?” Champlain responded with the confidence of a man knowing he had just won the argument.
Yeah. Yeah, you will have your Fort by that goddamned rock, for fucks sake. Kebeq or whatever the savages call it. Don’t fuck it up, bastard.”
Me? Sieur de Mons, if may I remind you. It is you, of course, who will be in charge of this expedition
You know what Champlain? Sometimes I’m truly getting sick of your smugness!
Wow, I didn't know that they had the mouths of drunken sailors back then.

Wow, I didn't know that they had the mouths of drunken sailors back then.
Something about the guy's depictions always rubbed me the wrong way. Not another French noble snob needed :D

Wonder if the Huguenots get a colony somewhere in the world ITTL...

Good start, BTW...
Dugua, as OTL, is a Hugenot. And neither the assasination of Henry IV nor Marie de Medici's nature are changed ;)
--
Thanks for the postive feedback :)

Iroquois or Iroquoian? Iroquois denotes the confederacy, but Iroquoian denotes the entire ethno-linguistic group and it's hard to imagine the Iroquois and Huron being allies.

Iroquois or Iroquoian? Iroquois denotes the confederacy, but Iroquoian denotes the entire ethno-linguistic group and it's hard to imagine the Iroquois and Huron being allies.
Good Catch! Actually worded it like this on purpose. There are more members at this time to that group than the Five Nations and the Wendat Confederation. For example these guys...

Good Catch! Actually worded it like this on purpose. There are more members at this time to that group than the Five Nations and the Wendat Confederation. For example these guys...
I'm aware of that, although I'd also add that it's also difficult to see the Iroquois and Neutrals in the same alliance. Generally speaking the Iroquois of this period didn't play well with others.

Maybe to avoid confusion you could refer to the Iroquois league as the Haudenosaunee to distanciate them from the Iroquois language family

I'm aware of that, although I'd also add that it's also difficult to see the Iroquois and Neutrals in the same alliance. Generally speaking the Iroquois of this period didn't play well with others.
Remember, we are Pre-Beaver Wars. These are not the Five Nations that can steamroll eaverything in sight with their Dutch and British guns. There have been no epidemics that cause the mourning wars to inflate yet. They so far haven't overhunted the beavers in their own territory, what caused even more agressive behaviour OTL.

Yes, even pre-Contact Five Nations were (and are here) expansionist and rather agressive. And an outright Five Nations-Wendat alliance is unrealistic. But it is not like they can't come to accord with anyone. A modus vivandi with some of the more distant Huron-related groups, like the Petun or (prob) the Neutrals, is not unthinkable. There was no inherent enmity they cant overcome, like most likely with the Wendat. Especially, given how a French-Five Nations alliance changes the entire balance for New England as well.

Maybe to avoid confusion you could refer to the Iroquois league as the Haudenosaunee to distanciate them from the Iroquois language family
I will do this anyway. OTL Champlain refered to them as "Iroquois", which is why I only went with it so far. Given the closer bond between them calling them by their own name only seems logical from a French point of view.

Remember, we are Pre-Beaver Wars. These are not the Five Nations that can steamroll eaverything in sight with their Dutch and British guns. There have been no epidemics that cause the mourning wars to inflate yet. They so far haven't overhunted the beavers in their own territory, what caused even more agressive behaviour OTL.

Yes, even pre-Contact Five Nations were (and are here) expansionist and rather agressive. And an outright Five Nations-Wendat alliance is unrealistic. But it is not like they can't come to accord with anyone. A modus vivandi with some of the more distant Huron-related groups, like the Petun or (prob) the Neutrals, is not unthinkable. There was no inherent enmity they cant overcome, like most likely with the Wendat. Especially, given how a French-Five Nations alliance changes the entire balance for New England as well.
Fair enough.

Paris, Autumn 1603
Pah Champlain! You are an impertinent piece of shit” Pierre Dugua growled, „but a fucking persistent one!"
You know what Champlain? Sometimes I’m truly getting sick of your smugness!” Most of the time however, Dugua quite liked his younger companion. Only 27 at the time Champlain had impressed him the year before, on their first voyage into the new world. Exploring the Great River of Canada [1] he had shown impressive leadership. And if he was that adamant about that rock, so be it.

Crossing the Atlantic could be a rather tedious and dangerous affair in these days, but in early 1604 the French expedition got lucky. Already by May 10th their ships, La Bonne-Renommée, Don de Dieu and the tiny 18-ton Levrier[2], anchored before Tadoussac. This array of crude shacks was everything the French had in Canada at this point. Located at the mouth of the River of Canada it was the door to Canada. And for Canadian fur it was the door to Europe.
With Champlain and Dugua came 80 settlers. The investors behind Dugua really had opened their purses. Most of the colonists were skilled artisans. Some others were hunters, there were two surgeons and an apothecary. Even a detachment of 10 professional Swiss soldiers were hired to protect the colony. In short, a far cry from the underfunded convict coffin ships Europeans often sent over the pond in these days.
Also worth of note was a man called Mathieu da Costa. Born somewhere in Africa he had ended up with natives in Acadia for some years. There he learned their languages and customs. Highly he was sought after by almost every European trader in the North-East – but the French offered the most for his services.

Once in the New World, Champlain didn’t waste any time. On the Levrier, packed with men and supplies, he sailed ahead up the great stream. The two big ships in turn unloaded their cargo at Tadoussac. Under their Captain Pont-Gravé they were to trade during the summer and turn a profit for the investors behind the venture.
Having reached the site of future Quebec, Champlain and his men started clearing the land. Felling trees, sawing the logs and finally digging ditches and cellars. Another group’s job was to sail back and forth from Tadoussac to ferry supplies and other colonists.
There meanwhile Dugua and his men had assembled the two river barques brought over in parts. Using the three vessels, more and more men and supplies kept reaching the building site.

During the summer Champlain and Dugua relentlessly pushed their colonists, knowing how early Winter came in these lands. The men resented and more than once came close to open rebellion – but by Mid-August Quebec stood. Near the shore the French had erected a big storehouse and something they called Habitation. This complex vaguely resembled the miniature of a European Fortress. A ditch that could only be crossed on a drawbridge was surrounding a palisade, which was defended cannons mounted on bastions. The complex inside then was a triangular array of living quarters, workshops, the forge, and the headquarters of the officers.
As the weather got colder a fearful mood befell Quebec. Everyone knew the dreading stories about these shores' frightening winters – and of how previous colonies had fared through them.

Scurvy came late. By February the colonists already were hopeful they had easily passed through winter. The interior of their Habitation slowly felt like home and they were keenly awaiting the onset of spring. But in the third week of February the first men fell ill. Neither the surgeons nor the Apothecary, Louis Hébert, knew how to help them. On the 10th March the first man died, two weeks later six men had succumbed to the mystifying disease.
When the Great River finally lost its icy cover by early April, 13 Frenchmen were dead and a third of the rest severely ill. As they were given freshly caught fish, however, they rather suddenly got better. The French this day found the oldest cure against scurvy: fresh meat.

Even with these losses, the French had mastered their first winter admirably – especially compared with other settlements in this time and place. Still having 67 men at their disposal and expecting even more from Pont-Gravé, who was to return in early June, Dugua and Champlain could actually think about exploration or even expansion.

As spring started in earnest, more and more natives came to have a look at the bearded men and their weird village by the shore. These Montagnais[3], Huron and Algonquin people quickly were intrigued by the kind reception they got there, by the gifts and by the sheer power these mysterious men wielded. It was not like that they did not know who the bearded foreigners were. It was more the number in which they showed up that surprised them – and their apparent desire to stay.
As their awe gave room to rational thinking, more and more these nations realized that the sedentary foreigners could prove valuable assistance. Since time immemorial a low-intensity conflict had been smoldering in this land. In the last years this conflict had turned into outright war – and they were losing it. The Iroquois had realized what riches selling beaver furs to the bearded foreigners could bring: They were pushing harder and harder into the valley of the Great Stream, where these traders could be found.
Having these foreigners weapons on their side with their thundering stick and shining metal could easily tilt the balance of power.

Conclusively, in spring a delegation of chiefs approached the settlement to negotiate a military alliance.
The French however were cautious. Who was this unknown nation to have all their neighbors shudder in fear?

[1] What OTL Champlain called the St. Lawrence River
[2] Note: No consensus if such ship actually participated in the OTL 1604 expedition. Name is taken from a actual ship of OTL 1608 expedition.

[3] contemporary French name for the Innu
While French Canada did have a reputation for being foul mouthed (I don't know when it got the reputation though) I do have to point out that none of the words used in Dugua's dialogue would have been considered swears at the time. French swears were still based of blasphemes at that time.

Defiantly, watching though and not just because I can insert my ancestors in.

Chapter II: Kaswentha

Chapter II – Kaswentha

In the days of Old, when the Christians came first into this River, we made a Covenant with them, first with the Bark of a Tree, afterwards it was renewed with a twisted With,
but in process of time, lest that should decay and rot, the Covenant was fastened with a Chain of Iron,
which ever since has been called the Covenant Chain, and the end of it was made fast at Onnondage, which is the centre of the five Nations.
And therefore it was concluded, that whoever should violate or molest that Chain, or any part of it, the parties linked in the Chain should unanimously fall on such,

and destroy them, they should certainly die the Death.”

Aqueendara, Speaker of the Haudenosaunee (1698)

The Clanmothers of the Kanienkeháka[1] were anxious. Runners were reporting a group of foreigners slowly paddling down the Ioniatarakwà:ronte [2]. Long had stories about them been told, about their power and about their desire for beavers. Most of the nation's members never had actually seen one of them but those who in fact had were in awe. In awe of their shining weapons, in awe of their pots that never burned and in awe of their axes, that never splintered.
And now a group of these foreigners was headed straight for the Kanienkeháka? Were they a danger? When the Mothers called upon the chiefs of their respective clans, the directive was clear: “Bring the foreigners here”. So the chiefs took about hundred warriors and headed towards a site they called tekontaró:ken [3]. Here, they were sure, the foreigners had to pass.

When Champlain promptly arrived at this very site, he only had few men with him. Two native guides, da Costa, two young colonists and five of the Swiss. As this tiny party approached the shore, to their surprise they saw a huge gathering of natives. Bow in hand, they just stood there in close order – as if they had awaited the French. No hostility they showed, just proud deference and some, he thought, curiosity.

The guides seemed to sink deeper and deeper into their canoes as the shore drew closer. They were terrified. “Iroquois”, one whispered explaining. Champlain in turn displayed his signature boldness. He had his men row straight to where the leader of the natives was standing. Showing his empty palms, a gesture of peace the natives seemed to use around here, he had da Costa shout peaceful intentions in every language he knew. The guides did the same.

Warrior.PNG

A Haudenosaunee Warrior of the Time as depicted by Samuel de Champlain

As they came ashore, the leader greeted them in one of the native languages in which da Costa had shouted. This made communications astonishingly easy. Champlain handed out some axes and pots he had brought exactly for this occasion. The natives seemed to almost revere metal.
Champlain soon asked to visit their village – and was surprised to hear that his was exactly what his counterpart wanted.

The closer they got there the more showing caution towards the Montagnais seemed the right decision. As the chiefs explained to them on the way to the settlement, they were only one nation in a league of five. And that, while being independent, these nations would act in unison whenever possible.
The town itself surprised Champlain no less. It had a palisade, a ditch and long, sturdy wooden houses – almost it seemed like a Fort. Also these natives were farmers. They actually planted crops and stored them for winter. Seeing this and the obviously superior organization they employed, it was no wonder they were the bane of their enemies. Rather quickly, he realized, that keeping this nation happy was the key to expansion in these lands.

View attachment 537998
Later depiction of a Haudenosaunee longhouse

As they entered the village, every man, woman and kid came to have a look at the foreigners. Directly, they were led into one of the long bark houses.
Champlain and da Costa were instantly led into one of the big bark houses. There they were greeted by the local chiefs – and some women. This puzzled Champlain. Women? In such an important meeting?

Welcome”, one of these women started to speak in the same tongue the chief had used at the shore, “to the Kanienkeháka. What is your desire with us?”
Peace. Trade and Peace”, he had da Costa translate. To prove his point, he handed out the rest of the metal items he had brought. They never failed to impress.

The talks went on for a week. The French were to explain their world, their motives and, as well, their weapons. Champlain was equally curious about the way the Kanienkeháka lived. So far he had only had extended dealings with the Monatagnais, and the Kanienkeháka clearly seemed much different. Especially the role of women didn’t cease to puzzle the Europeans. It seemed almost like they were in charge of things.

In the end, no matter the cultural differences the Kanienkeháka and the French reached a consensus. It was a rather broad, yet defining agreement – called the Kaswentha, by both sides. While the Kanienkeháka weaved a wampun belt to record it, the French wrote and signed the paper with three chains, each for one of the principles agreed upon:

The first is Friendship, since the Kanienkeháka and their brothers will live in friendship. As equals, side by side without meddling in each others affairs.

The second is Peace, since there will be peace between their two people. If there are conflicts to arise they will be settled by the word and not the bow

And the third is Forever, since this agreement will last forever.

Further it was agreed that the Kanienkeháka would forward an invitation to Quebec. A delegation of the entire Haudenosaunee League was welcome to visit at any time they wished. Also, the two young colonists decided to stay with the natives for a year to learn their ways and language. In turn, two young Haudenosaunee warriors were selected to to go with Champlain.

[1] Mohawk
[2] Lake Champlain
[3] Ticonderoga

Also a note: Champlain at this point has not yet had much to do with the Wendat, whose lifestyle is rather similar to the Haudenosaunee. He primarily knows about the Montagnais/Innu and therefore is surprised by the Five Nations' towns and extent of their agriculture.

Chapter III: Letter to Marie
Chapter III – A Letter to Marie (1609)

To: Marie Rollet

My beloved Marie,

It is quite remarkable, how one only learns the value of so many things in their absence. In our case here, it is snow. You may laugh when you read that. Snow? That white, cold mess this savage wilderness gives in plenty?
However, in winter it is this very cold mess that keeps us warm. And it is this cold mess as well that keeps us healthy.

But I am ahead of myself. As you remember, three years ago we were visited by this Nation, the Haudenosaunee. The alliance our leaders made with them, it has been worth it.
I have no idea where they get them from, but the amount of beavers they bring is enormous. Their crops, what shall I say, are even more marvelous. Planted in their way, the three sisters as they call it they are perfect for freshly cleared land. If we add wheat on the more developed parcels, this land truly gives in droves. A brother for the three sisters, so to speak.

You may wonder however who actually is in charge here. Remember my last letters, Champlain did this and Champlain did that. Truth is however, I have not seen him in long. He is up there in his new outpost, Montreal they call it, with 50 men in winter – and in Summer he roams the streams with a couple of soldiers and Haudenosaunee guides.

What I haven’t told you about so far, I just realize, is the Chapel. Last summer we held our first mass here – and I must say it is peculiar. Here we know no gap between different congregations. As you know, our leader Dugua calls himself a Calvinist – and no one cares. We pray together. Well, the priest wasn’t too happy at first, but when he realized he was rather alone in that, he quickly turned silent.
At this point, we got ourselves quite a town. With Pont-Gravé there came around sixty men every summer, so we were around twohundredfifty by the Fall of 1608.

Coming back to the snow, not only reminded me it’s absence of its worth, it also showed how we are still foreigners in this land. In the Fall of 1608 we thought we had figured the dreaded winters out. Three times in a row, we had passed without major hardship. But in this year, only one thing changed – the snow – and our entire experience was worth nothing.

My Love, we had to bury forty good men last year. I don’t understand the sickness that took them, no one does. It sometimes shows up in winter, and the only thing preventing it seems to be fresh meat. Here is where the snow becomes important: When there is snow the big animals in this land are much easier to hunt. Our hunters can easily reach them using special shoes we got from the natives, that let you walk over snow. This year, there was no snow however. The big game was roaming freeely and our hunters could barely reach them. Additionally, this winter was cold. I swear, I have never witnessed anything like it. Here the snow was missing as well. It sounds rather stupid, but when the snow clings to our homes’ outer walls – it actually keeps them warm. Don’t ask me how, but its true.

But during this winter I was treating the ill. I tried all of the herbs and medicines I have found here over the last years. Nothing had any effect. Marie, seeing first the pain in their eyes, than the fear as their companions die of the very sickness they suffer from and finally… finally seeing the resignation in their eyes – Treating a man you know you can’t save, that is something I could not wish upon my worst enemy.
The natives mostly don’t suffer from it, no one knows why. I have heard some rumors about spruce needles quite lately from some of them, but nothing definite. Anyway, they have their own burdens in the winter. Especially the Montagnais. These people are incredible skilled hunters – yet they seem like children. In the days of plenty they do nothing but rejoice and feast, but never have I seen one of them make provisions for the winter. While we had to bury a fifth of our men, they were hit worse. By New Year the first showed up. We shared our bread and we shared our smoked eels. Yet more and more kept coming. It was close but the food was just enough, sadly as well because we lost many of us.
But by god, what happened to those Montagnais who did not make it? Women, Children and Men alike looked like skeletons. They rely entirely on hunting – and that was an almost impossible task this winter. Those who managed to reach Quebec mostly survived and we quickly got them back to health onen the fish ran up the river in April. But those who could not make the journey? I don’t think I want to know.

Yet there is something more I come to value more in it’s absence than than mundane frozen water. Marie, when I was sitting there, alone, in the evenings while my companions were dropping dead, I missed you like I had never thought it possible – even after not seeing you in four years. I think it is time. Join me. This land takes – but it also gives. Right now, it is late May and I sit in the most beautiful, green lush. This place, no matter its hardships can be so much more than a home. It can be a future, not just for us or our children – far away from the Kings and Wars of Europe. Remember, we are the new ones here – and it can be our world.
Think about it. Meanwhile, I wil be here feeling a burst of hope every time a little barque docks on our quay in the longing hope of finally seeing you again

In Love

Louis

Okay, I figure this chapter needs a bit explaining. This is a TTL letter from Louis Hebert to his wife Marie Rollet written in 1609. In OTL, they were the first real European couple to actually live in Quebec. I will speed this process up a bit.
The Winter of 1608 historically was a disaster – for the than first-year Quebec but also for the Montagnais, pretty much along the lines I have Louis describe it. In OTL Quebec 20 of 30 Colonists died – however 13 of those due to something OTL Champlain called “dysentry” and affected the natives equally. He figured it came from badly prepared eels and I attribute it to the OTL French missing experience, so I consider it butterflied.

Now I know this is somewhat outside the AH.com-blueprint on Timeline writing, but still hope you like it. I just kinda felt my story to be too dry.

1606: A Haudenosaunee delegation visits Quebec and confirms the alliance. The French learn the cultivation method of the Three Sisters from them.
1607: Champlain heads west to explore the interior of Canada. Montral is founded
1608 (Winter): Outbreak of scurvy. 40 men die. The Montagnais natives are suffering from a terrible famine
1609: A chapel is built to commemorate the dead and symbolize the unity between Catholics and Huguenots in the Colony, After the supply ships arrive, Quebec now has 270 inhabitants, Montreal 50.

Last edited: