This never happened to the other fella – alternative James Bond timeline.

image.jpeg

Prologue :

‘Look George I don’t think Bond will be relevant in the 70s, hell the spy genre already ran out of the money and been done to death’, said his friend/acting agent Ronan O’Rahill as the silent filled the air,’George if you want a good career as an actor, you have to get away from Bond’, again the man wasn’t convinced about the man acting advice, ‘That’s Sean Connery’s gig,it’s hippie time now; it’s make love,not war’, his agent said trying for him to get away from the spotlight and move on with his career,’I’ll have to hold you to that Ronan’ spoked George Lazenby,’give me an week to think this over ok?’.

After the phone was putted down Lazenby remark that he had all the time in the world to think of his future, he already went behind the products back with his bead, remembering that Albert R. Broccoli once remake as he saw his Bond actor with a beard and long hair,’Bond doesn’t have an fucking beard!’, he remembers the fussiness that both products gave him that day, then what seems like a fortnight ago an smile came across Lazenby face, he pick up the phone and rang the only man who was between him and his future.

‘Mr Broccoli about that deal you offered’.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hello everyone just want to clear a few things up before we continue, the first one is that this might be a short timeline because am not very good at writing and I think i overshot my first attempt at a proper timeline in which I won't be continuing am afraid, the second is that there might be one big time skipped because of my limit imagination (I will leave it up to you too wonder what that is ;), and finally hope you enjoy it.

Chapter One : The Lazenby Years : 1969 – 1971

image.jpeg

‘The deal was that I would played Bond in seventh films but as fate play her hand, I only did one out of the seven’ – George Lazenby (Being Bond, 2017) (1)

Making of a diamond

George Lazenby was the age of 29 when he was cast as James Bond, the only Bond actor to have two films to his name, after OHMSS Lazenby considered quitting the role after his agent try to convince him that Bond will not fit in the 70s, however with one phone call to production Albert Broccoli Lazenby stay on to do Diamonds Are Forever, the deal was that Lazenby would play Bond with in several films which some analysis that Lazenby could have been Bond until the early 80s,during the filming of Diamonds Lazenby and the productions had a falling out about payout so the deal was cut short to only Diamonds, to quote Broccoli ‘Diamonds will be what Goldfinger was to Connery’, however the only thing that connects the two films is the singer Shirley Brassy.

The progress of the story of Diamonds was to bring Bond into the 70s, Writer Richard Maibaum has said that the film was not only to bring into the 70s but for the Americans audience as well, continuing from OHMSS Bond had to be changed to fit the mood of the film, in a 1975 interview Maibaum has quoted by saying ‘Bond couldn’t be his usual self, we wanted to have Bond as a lawman from the Wild West a man who stop for nothing for revenge’, (plus Western was big at the time with the man with no name(2)),’ we also wanted to build a pawn the criticism of the perverse film’, probably the most critical part of OHMSS was Lazenby performance with many saying that he was wooded in most parts,’we took the criticism and we made Bond speak less than what the audience was use too,Lazenby had to act through facial expressions his emotions just as the saying goes show don’t tell’,’in short we wanted Bond to be an antihero’.

Not only Lazenby was back but the director Peter R.Hunt was back as well,Broccoli only agree with Hunt as the director because Guy Hamilton couldn’t done it before his other projects were done and the film could benefit from Hunts style,originally Hamilton was to directed the film such as he did Goldfinger however unfortunately schedule cancelled the plan(3), the filming was tense between Hunt and Lazenby from the beginning with both men having a different vision for the film and character, the myth that both men were fired after the filming from Diamonds isn’t true, reportedly said that Hurt didn’t want to direct another film and wanted to go into Television, Lazenby wasn’t fired for the unprofessional behave,he was drop after a payment discussion between him and the studio.

‘Before I could return to the set as Bond Broccoli phoned me up and ask if I still had the beard, I shave it off and trimmed my hair to look the part once again’, Lazenby said that he enjoyed the experience this time and that he could really show off his acting skills,’I think it was me crying at the end of OHMSS that inspired the Bond we got in Diamonds,it’s a very different man from the previous films’..

The Bond girls this time around are double the amount of last film that being two,with the main attraction being Jill St. John playing Tiffany Case and Lana Wood playing the second Bond girl Plenty O’Toole,unlike his last film Lazenby got on well with his co-stars.

Telly Savalas reprise his role as Ernst Stavro Blofeld for a more action role at the end,probably the most odd decision in the production was to have Charles Grey play as Blofeld as well to create an red herring for the audience(4),this was to fool both the audience and Bond into believing that Grey was a new Blofeld, the main henchmen of the association duos of Mr.Wint and Mr.Kidd who was played by Bruce Glover and Putter Smith respectively, in the original script the characters of Wint and Kidd were supposed to be a comedy act with them assassination people in humorous fashioned however the idea was scraped to fit the tone of the film.

Filming began in April of 1971 and luckily for everyone involved unlike the previous film it went more smoothly,the filming finished in late August of the same year with a week of filming delayed due to the set of the ending fight scene being in a salt mine and the stuns for the weather balloon was delayed for bad weather(5),after the film was the press tour had begun to promote the film and Lazenby stayed clear shaving for most of it.

The real problems came after the film with what Broccoli called ‘the Lazenby problem’, with his new found love for acting Lazenby had quite the ego off the set of Diamonds (more so then on OHMSS) and became quite troublesome for the products, the contact with Lazenby had was to make another six films before he left the role,however both parties negotiations with each other to found a solution, Broccoli said during one of these negotiations that Lazenby was ‘more trouble than he’s worth’, which in turn made Lazenby unprofessional and by the early 1972 Lazenby was out and the hunt for a new Bond began once again. (6)

1. You didn't think I want have actually write about Lazenby having eight Bond films did you?, but to be fair I think he would only do two films and move on.

2. This is my vision of how they would take the criticism of Lazenby performance from Scente Service, I don't know if they would have been different calming from the ending but that how i would take the character,plus I don't know if Westerns were still around during the 70s but I know it was the rise of the Antihero which I try to explain.plus Bonds films always like to ripped off what's popular at the time.

3.I read somewhere that Guy Hamilton was to direct the Superman film however it never came to be, in OTL it was the reverse I believe that Hurt couldn't be direct Diamonds so I just switch them around.

4. I didn't mind Charles Grey as Blofeld and I can imagine them playing with the audience then tricking them they recast another actor to play him.i think it would be a good twist but an pointless one at that.

5. With Conney not in the film they don't have to spend half the budget paying him to play Bond again, they can film the original version of the final fight between Bond and Blofeld.

6. Probably the most disagreement over films is payment, I did that because I think Lazenby would have a ego and demand for more payment, and it not really hard to imagine.

Last edited:
With an extra Bond film to his name, I wonder if we see Lazenby go off to Hong Kong to make action movies with Bruce Lee, like he wanted.

Shame we don't get one last Connery film.

Just a friendly word of advice from a fellow writer on here: If you go on the AFI Catalogue website it will provide you with production dates of films. I had a hard time with that at first. If you are unsure of a genre's popularity, a quick search always does me wonders. Western movies were pretty popular up until about Heaven's Gate (1980).

Just a friendly word of advice from a fellow writer on here: If you go on the AFI Catalogue website it will provide you with production dates of films. I had a hard time with that at first. If you are unsure of a genre's popularity, a quick search always does me wonders. Western movies were pretty popular up until about Heaven's Gate (1980).

Thanks for the advice friend, I try to remember that.

Man the Superman movie ITTL is going to be a terribly campy mess of a film with Guy Hamilton directing

Haha yeah, well first it's need to get off the ground first and hopefully Hamilton pays his taxs.

Shame we don't get one last Connery film.

That's what they want you to think

image.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. My friend is trying to convince me to use lockdown to write a fantasy James Bond script and some plot scribbles exist.

Diamonds Reception,Life After Bond, and the New Bond

Diamonds are forever was released on the 14th in West Germany, 17th in the United States, and New Year Eve in the United Kingdom in 1971 and was both an financially and critically success then the previous film, the box office for Diamonds were more successful then On Her Majesty with five million in different total to $116.0 at the box office, it also was well received by critics who through it was a good continue from the last film, Roger Ebert from the Chicago Sun – Times noted, in a positive review ‘moments of seriousness’ such as the revenge plot of the film and the relationship between Bond and Tiffany Case, most critics agree that the fight scenes in Diamonds were better because they were less chopping then the previous, the most notable fights scenes of the film are the final assault on Blofeld base and the final fight between Bond and Blofeld,many found the final battle between them satisfied and a good continue to the Blofeld trilogy, at the time Diamonds were the most ground Bond film in terms of the story and characters, however there were some silly bits within the film, such as the Plenty O’Toole being a gold digger who wants to bed Bond, in which Bond no sold her completely, another positive aspects to the film is the Tiffany Case character who a much different type of Bond girl, many like that Case character development in the film from being a diamond smuggler to saving Bond in Blofeld lair, the Case and Bond relationship in the film is much like from the books from the same name however with much charges to the relationship, such as Bond character being more emotional than previously films, the film story befits the relationship as Case is a good way for Bond to move on with his life after Tracy’s death at the end of the previous film, some have analysts the film being that Case and O’Toole character are opposite to Bond, O’Toole being the typical Bond girl and Case being able to stand on her own wise being valuably, Jill St.John was praised for her performance as Tiffany Case as breaking the Bond girl format and could fight on her own.

Critics also said that Peter Hunt director for the film fit the tone,with his quick cuts able to capture the Los Vegas lifestyle perfectly, as well as the performance of George Lazenby who many said had vastly improved from the previous film and the versatility of the actor left many pleased, the audience reaction to the film was mix then the critics having a Bond film more ground from the previous films felt strange to some, Telly Savalas was also praised for his return as Blofeld.

Over the years Diamonds are Forever is ranked as one of the best Bond film to fans and the reception of the film is easy one of the best ranks by critics. (1)

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………....

‘After Bond I was falling down into a depression pit, – George Lazenby (Being Bond,2017)

Although Lazenby performance was praised by critics,the press on the another hand was demise of Lazenby action to as they say it ‘gone into business for himself’, Lazenby former agent Ronan O’Rahilly (2) ran to the press after Lazenby phone him back and told him that he agreed to Broccoli offer, after a long and hearted argument between the two men O’Rahilly told Lazenby that he was making a mistake, the press condemned Lazenby action with falsely accused him taking money from Broccoli, Lazenby came out trying to justify his actions in statement ‘I took Mr. Broccoli offer not because of the money but because I felt I needed to improve first’, after the news off Lazenby and the products falling out the press went after Lazenby again calling him a liar, this would effect Lazenby to find any work because of his bad reception which came with his name, Lazenby was quoted in saying :

‘After Bond I couldn’t find any work because of my name alone,with the bad reception I was getting from the press and the public I was falling down an danger path for myself’, after getting roles of projects which didn’t make it to television nor films Lazenby decision was to left the spotlight for a short bit.

Lazenby next film appeared was in the 1972 Italian film Who Saw Her Die?, opposite Anita Strindberg which saw Lazenby lost 35 pounds and was positive reviews, after the film during February 1973 Lazenby spent all of his money he made from the film and had two nervous breakdowns, Lazenby commented on his time during the time ‘ I burned all the bridges I had behind and it was fun for me,really, I’m sort of glad I did it’.

Lazenby next notable role was in the BBC series Play For Today which he played in Roger Smith’s The Operation which was to follow two more films before their were cancelled, in 1973, Lazenby went to Hong Kong to meet with Bruce Lee and produce Raymond Chow, they made him the offer of $10,000 to appear in a film with Lee, Lazenby agreed to the offer and worked with both Lee and Chow, Lazenby worked with Golden Harvest to make fives films in which his most famous role Golden Needles (1974). (3)

After Hong Kong Lazenby moved to Hollywood in the late 70s to star taking acting lessons and to reactivate his career, Lazenby said ‘I enjoy the states,to be quite honest’, in 1978 a interview of Broccoli describe how casting Lazenby as ‘my biggest mistake in 16 years’.

Lazenby was back on track and was even offer to play James Bond again but he declined the offer, Lazenby most notable role after his Hong Kong days was The Micronauts (1995) a scientific fiction film.(4)

‘All in all’ Lazenby said ‘I think I did pretty good for myself’.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

After Lazenby left the role of Bond the products of Broccoli and Harry Saltzman were out to look for a new Bond again, both Broccoli and Saltzman try to convince Sean Connery to return as Bond but he declined,among the names of actors who was tested were : Julian Glover,John Gavin,Jeremy Brett,Simon Oates, John Ronane, and William Gaunt. The main front runner for Bond was Michael Billington however United Artist was pushing for a American to play Bond, Broccoli disagree with the idea of a American playing Bond, stating that ‘Bond should be British’.

It wasn’t long until they found they’re new Bond, a man who was tested for both Dr.No and OHMSS, the man they wanted for a long time. (5)

1. I have no idea if it would be better if Lazenby were in it, I changed a couple of scenes from the film and instead replace them from the books, such as Tiffany recuse Bond and Tiffany character, at the whole that being she doesn't fall off the oil rig at the end of the film and help bond.

2. Conquered for Lazenby taking the offer, wouldn't know if the press really would mind that much but I did it for drama.

3. Feel free to correct me on this one, I don't know much of Martial arts films nor of Bruce Lee work, all I know is that Golden Needle wasn't made.

4. The film wasn't made,Harry Saltzman offered Lazenby to be the lead role in it.

5. Wonder who that could be.

One thing for Lazenby in Hong Kong - if you don't mind Bruce Lee living, his big project was to play the villain in Lee's post-Enter the Dragon project, Game of Death, something Lazenby has said he was very excited about.

Thus, you now have a surviving Bruce Lee, Lazenby getting attention for a very different type of role? and ingraining himself in both Hong Kong and Hollywood.

Honestly? 70s and early 80s Hong Kong isn't a bad place to be for Lazenby. Outside of Wuxia films, a white guy who can handle himself in a fight could get a lot of work from Golden Harvest and Shaw Brothers... especially if he's willing to play British villains.

The Moore Years (1973 – 1979)

image.jpeg

Roger Moore was cast as the third actor to play Bond after the Lazenby and Broccoli fallout, Moore was already on the products list for the role from the filming of OHMSS in 1969,the previous works of Moore included The Saint which ran from 1962 to 1969,his another notable work is The Man Who Haunted Himself from 1970, Moore tried not to imitate Connery or Lazenby performances as Bond nor his own performance as Simon Temple in the Saint seasons, Moore’s Bond came more lighthearted and comical tone to fit with Moore persona, the first film of Moore Bond was Live and Let Die which was released in 1973 and which Goldfinger director Guy Hamilton return after the product hell that was the Superman film which was cancelled in 1972, the reception for the film was mixed when it was released, critics said Moore performance as Bond, Roger Ebert from the Chicago Times felt ‘Moore wasn’t satisfied in living up to the legacy Connery left behind’ however he did say that Moore did a better job than Lazenby, the most audience know of Live and Let Die today is the song which was written by former Beatle star Paul McCarthy and his wife Linda in their band Wings, the film was a success and growth more then the perverse film, Moore first outing as Bond was a success however this won’t last.

Little more then a year later The Man With The Golden Guy was released in December of 1974, both Moore and Hamilton return as Bond and the director respectively, the film production wasn’t very pleasant as many through, with re writes to the film during the filming, the film was trying to copy the population of Martial arts films, however, the use of martial arts during the film only amandine to one scene, the main villain of the film who was played by Christopher Lee is the villainous assassin Francisco Scaramanga who is the most down to earth of the Bond villains, the early draft of the script was for Scaramanga to take over the world however Broccoli asked ‘why doesn’t he just try to kill Bond’ and the idea was dropped, Scaramanga plan in the film was to simply one up Bond by any means, the filming for the film began 6 November 1973 and production was wrapped by August 1974, the film star Maud Adams who star in three Bond films including this one however the main Bond girl is Britt Ekland who plays Mary Goodnight who is 007s contact in Hong Kong and is also a MI6 agent, the reception for the Man with the Golden Gun was mixed, some enjoyed the dynamic between Moore and Lee, many still praise the final battle between Bond and Scaramanga, however, the film was a financial failure making less then it’s percentage, Moore performance in the film was critical for it portrayed of Bond, Bond in the film was portrayed as a anti hero in some scenes not in the Lazenby sense more of a jerk, Moore has gone on record saying he was himself disappointed with his performance in the film, another criticism of the film is the story itself which feel rush in some aspects and the comedy, the car scene which had a whistle in it was removed from all release of the film and was replaced by the Bond theme.

After the poor financial returns and generally unfavourable response of critics for The Man with the Golden Gun production for the new Bond film was in trouble, following the years between the wilderness Bond years the Spy Who Loved Me was a pivotal from the outset, with Harry Saltzman who was forced to sell his half of the Bond film franchise in 1975 for £20 million,another troubling aspect of the product was the difficulty in obtaining a dictator, the products approached Steven Spielberg who was in post – production for Jaws, but ultimately decided against him, Guy Hamilton who was the director for the two previous Bond film left after being offered another chance to direct the 1978 film Superman,Eon Productions later turned to Lewis Gilbert, who had directed the earlier Bond film You Only Live Twice, filming began in August of 1976 and ended finished on the 5 of December 1976, the 007 Stage was formally opened by former Prime Minister Harold Wilson.

The Spy Who Loved Me was premiere in London on 7 July 1977, and was officially released in the United States On the 13th, it grossed $185.4 million worldwide, with $46 million in the United States alone, it was Roger Moore’s favourite Bond film with many reviewers consider it the best instalment to star the actor, needless to say that the film reception was overwhelming positive, the next film was supposed to be For Yours Eyes Only however a unexpected phenomenon happened of the same year.

Roger Moore had originally signed a three -film contract with Eon Products, which covered his first three appearances up to The Spy Who Loved Me. Subsequent to this, the actor negotiated contracts on a film-by-film basis, Moore final outing as Bond was to be in Moonranker, the following of Star Was success at the box office made the decision of the Bond Space themed film to made, the decision was payoff with Moonranker being at the time the highest grossing Bond film with 210.3 million at the box office, Lewis Giblet return as director and production began on 14 August 1978, the film was released 26 June 1979 with the United States three days after, the reception of the was film with many critics praised the set and the special effects, however some critics through the film was too silly and questioned the science fiction based for a Bond film, however the financial success of the film payoff, after Moonranker Broccoli wanted to bring Bond back to basics.

........................................................................................................................................

Searching for the new Bond

After the success of Moonranker Roger Moore decision to move on from Bond, to quote ‘After space where could I go?’ plus the age of the actor came into question, Broccoli agree with Moore and wanted to bring Bond back to its roots, the search for the new Bond led to other actors being considered to the over, including Lewis Collins, known in the UK for his portrayal of Bodie in the Professionals, Ian Ogilvy, like Moore very known by his role in Return of the Saint, Michael Billington, who previously appeared in The Spy Who Loved Me as Agent XXX’s I’ll-fated lover,and Michael Jayston who had appeared as the eponymous spy in the British TV Series of Quiller,however, the man who would become Bond who was strongly considered but at first declined expressed his disliked the direction the series was taking at the time,but after a chance encounter Broccoli invited the actor to a meeting between the two had,Broccoli expressed his hope that he wanted to bring Bond back to the Connery days which caught the actor interested and ask to give him a few days to decided, after three days the actor phoned back and the answer was yes. It was announced that the man who would take over the role of James Bond was the 34 year old Timothy Dalton.
image.jpeg

Hello sorry I took this long, I was doing some research for the timeline, I do very much apologies for it, I wanted to jump into Dalton after Lazenby (hint the beginning of the story I say there would be a time skip)but I thought I would give Moore his own chapter because I felt if I was going to do a like after bond I couldn't leave out Sir Roger, but don't worry I know there wasn't enough different from our timeline however since Dalton became Bond in the 80s it will be interesting.

Hello sorry I took this long, I was doing some research for the timeline, I do very much apologies for it, I wanted to jump into Dalton after Lazenby (hint the beginning of the story I say there would be a time skip)but I thought I would give Moore his own chapter because I felt if I was going to do a like after bond I couldn't leave out Sir Roger, but don't worry I know there wasn't enough different from our timeline however since Dalton became Bond in the 80s it will be interesting.
Nice, very nice with Moore years and now Dalton, waiting to see how he will unfold