This Guilty Land: A Post-Civil War Timeline

Longstreet is probably right

the thing is I am worried be might be tol hasty on the coup and not try to work with congress

certainly there are SOME congressmen govenors and senators who see things the same way

Looking at the map the Maritimes are bright red. Are they still British colonies or their own dominion?
They're similar to OTL Canada at this time, where they're still loyal British colonies but they've organized into a self-governing dominion with their own Prime Minister. I'll have to do more with them at some point soon.
A million marching John Browns, now that is an image that stays with you.
It certainly is, and if you fought to preserve slavery, it's one that's gonna freak you the hell out!
Longstreet is probably right

the thing is I am worried be might be tol hasty on the coup and not try to work with congress

certainly there are SOME congressmen govenors and senators who see things the same way
There certainly are some who would aid Longstreet, and he definetly hopes to hmget things done that way, but he knows it may not succeed through legal channels.

Just read the new chapter, interesting to see how Longstreet will do as President. It would be interesting if his policies on centralization and gradual abolition will fail and cause a major reaction in the other direction, causing even greater trouble and problems for the CSA. Would love to see more POVs in the Union. How is South America and Europe doing with Bismark dead and the French Empire still around? Keep up the good work.

Would love to see more POVs in the Union. How is South America and Europe doing with Bismark dead and the French Empire still around? Keep up the good work.
The Union will be getting a lot of focus going forward.
The next chapter will cover Europe, and will provide quite a bit of information regarding its affairs.

Chapter 11: Tragedy and Farce
Chapter 11: Tragedy and Farce

Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historical facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce.
-Karl Marx​
1280px-Napoleon_III_after_Death_-_Illustrated_London_News_Jan_25_1873-2.jpg
Napoleon III, as heir to the first of his name, probably hoped to have an ionic final word in the matter that was his own life. Napoleon I had said simply “Josephine.” So iconic and yet so simple.

Napoleon III, on his deathbed, said simply, “oh God, I think it’s here.” Upon the Emperor’s death, caused by a life and career of pain and injury, his son ascended to the throne as Napoleon IV. Louis Napoleon was an adventurer, a man well-liked by pretty-well everyone who knew him. Upon his ascension to the throne, he and Britain’s Queen Victoria decided to cement the alliance between their nations through a marriage of the French Emperor and Princess Beatrice. Beatrice and the newly-crowned Napoleon IV found mutual attraction, and so the marriage was arranged.

Napoleon IV was only 17 at the time of his ascension, and was by all accounts an energetic, charismatic young man who wished to personally guide his nation. Many in France were nervous to have such a young person leading their nation, but Napoleon IV showed himself as being willing to listen to his advisors and think before he acted. He may have been cocky, but he was willing to temper himself.
Eugène-Louis-Napoléon,_Prince_Imperial_of_France_(1856-79).jpg

Napoleon IV
This same year, Prussia mourned the death of Wilhelm I’s grandson, also named Wilhelm. The young boy had been strange in temperament and deformed of body, and had died after a harsh case of pneumonia. His father Frederick, heir to the Prussian throne, was persuaded by his grieving and health-concerned wife to reduce his smoking. Eventually, Frederick quit altogether, though he missed the habit greatly.
Kaiser_Wilhelm_II_Gymnasiast_(cropped).jpg

Prince Wilhelm
Prussia led the North German Confederation, but it was feared by Prussian officials that the nation may crumble with the death of Wilhelm I. Thus, Frederick dedicated himself to maintaining popularity with the leadership of the other German states in order to preserve loyalty.

Emperor_Friedrich_III_(cropped)(2).png

Crown Prince Fredrick of Prussia

In Iberia, Spain was engaged in the Third Carlist War, a war based not only upon succession but also on matters of regional identity as well as the struggle between liberal and conservative elements. When Amadeo I of Spain, the son of Victor Emmanuel II of Italy, abdicated in February of 1873, a Spanish Republic was established. Taking it upon itself to reform elements of Spain’s nation such as the abolition of slavery, the Republic nevertheless struggled to find an identity. Some wanted a Unitary government, other strongly favoured Federalism.

In April of that year, only weeks into the Republic’s existence, Francisco Serrano, 1st Duke of la Torre, conspired with other military leaders to overthrow the Republic. Serrano and the military instigated a coup on the 23rd, seizing dictatorial power over the Republic. He hoped to imitate Napoleon III’s rule, though he was not technically a monarch. Serrano and the military sought French aid in the war, but the French were still concerned with maintaining control over Mexico. As such, Serrano’s regime was left to deal with the Carlists themselves, for the time-being at least.

800px-Nadar's_photo_of_Serrano_(Retouched).jpg

President Serrano of Spain

In 1874, Napoleon’s tune changed. He agreed to intervene on the side of the Republic against the Carlists following a series of military victories by Serrano’s regime. Mexico seemed safe at the moment thanks to the treaty of Houston, and Napoleon hoped to establish a friendly regime in France’s own backyard. Plus, France’s massively modernised and reformed military could be put into effect, a show of power and a demonstration of the work Napoleon III had done. By the end of the year, the Carlist forces were defeated and the Republic seemed secure.

In early May of 1875, Napoleon’s wedding was held. Monarchs from across Europe gathered to watch the marriage of the Emperor and Queen Victoria’s daughter.
Samuel Clemens, an American newspaper reporter soon to be a notable figure, was in attendance. In his article covering the wedding, he remarked that he was “unsure how that first Napoleon, the man who called himself a child of the revolution, who seemed in-character so opposed to traditionalism and the old families of Europe, would feel in this moment, seeing as his descendant wed a Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. I doubt he’d be proud to see his line stand against progress.”

Soon after their marriage, now-Empress Beatrice became pregnant with Napoleon’s child. In February of 1876, an heir was born.

tUkZUP2Dw5rkvzundXMAfT6As_AjZLs4RDE2pGWrNirVWKYxDtG3Fo67e68Tqah0rb0Kbeb9rjhdGWQulXYA4E7JHTMMoLCdXD-lJft1Kd32vQB3wyF-ZsoPtV7DOT-s91yA_piOALW24p49UPju6EExhQCGU-KPtPIXNpfEANp4S4aUJmPbC-TORMOLgw

Louis-Napoleon, Prince Imperial, Heir to the Bonapartes

In his cradle slept and smiled

Thus the child
Who as Prince of Peace was hailed.
Thus anigh the mother breast,
Lulled to rest,
Child-Napoleon down the lilied river sailed.

-Emma Lazarus

Last edited:
Nice chapter showcasing Europe. The French Empire is in a much better state than OTL, Napoleon III will have a much better reputation with no Franco-Prussian War. Napoleon IV has married Princess Beatrice, Great Britain and France are united (wonder how African colonialism will go). OTL Wilhelm II has died young, I wonder how Germany will fare in different hands? Can't wait for the next chapter. Keep up the good work.

Interesting

and napoleon would actually probably love this .He made it

wonder where Europe's headed

what did italy think of the spainsh situation by the way?

I doubt he'd actually have a problem with it, but it felt right to have Clemens question it.
Yeah, the historical understanding of Napoleon's deep compromise and betrayal of the French Revolution is probably a bit underdeveloped at this time. The more information piles up and the more discussion there is about the motivation of figures like him, the harder it is to maintain the image of Napoleon as a revolutionary figure. But Sammy don't know that.

Chapter 12: The State of the Union: Colfax's Second Term
The State of the Union: Colfax’s Second Term

grant-black-friday-loc.jpg__1000x622_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

The Second Term of Schuyler Colfax is defined by two main legacies. The first is the ending of slavery in the United States of America (as covered previously). However, to understand the second legacy of the Colfax administration, a healthy heap of context is required.

Following the loss of the Southern States in the war, the United States was in a rather bad place financially. Military spending remained high due to the continual threat of a second war between the states, as well as raids by southern bandits and Confederate-aligned Indigenous tribes. As well, while the Industrialized North was outcompeting the South in most ways, the loss of what boons the South did provide was not helpful.

Colfax was not Pendleton, but he was not squeaky-clean himself. It has been speculated he may have also been involved in railway-related Fraud, though he has never been decisively-confirmed to have been, and allegations only emerged after his Presidency ended. He was, however, almost certainly aware of the fraudulent activities of others in the government and did little to nothing to intervene. While scandal and crime would be a lasting legacy of Colfax’s administration, it was not directly his doing.

Instead, the major scandal was tied to Vice President Henry Wilson, though he too was not actually involved in the scandal proper. Wilson’s son, a former cavalry officer, had been discharged due to health issues. The younger Wilson was looking for work, and had become entwined in the affairs of a Mr. Jay Gould. Gould, a railway investor, and his partners had befriended the younger Wilson, and made him a part of their business. Using their connections to him, and by extension the Vice President, Gould and his band influenced speculation and sought to corner the market on Gold, which would lead to economic turmoil on the West Coast and a financial reorientation towards the East. It is speculated by some more conspiratorially-minded historians that Colfax, who had met with Gould and his comrades and discussed economics with them (as recorded in legal proceedings following the scandal), but this is definitely not certain, as Gould was a Democrat and a friend of Colfax’s former enemy Boss Tweed, and Colfax’s administration did what they could to remedy the crisis. Regardless, the plot was a failure, and while Gould initially managed to make some profit anyways, the fallout of what became known as the Black Friday Plot of 1875 ruined him.

Jay_Gould's_Private_Bowling_Alley_-_Opper_1882.jpg

(This OTL cartoon feels anti-Semitic, but Gould wasn't Jewish, so I'm not sure, but still suspicious.)

Boss, listen, this isn’t good.”

“You think I don’t know that? Gould’s chicanery could bring Tammany Hall down altogether! Forget about the Presidency, none of us will have careers if Gould talks.”

“Why would he talk about us? These lawsuits are unlikely to bring our connection to light. Besides, he’s one of our best allies.”

“I know that, but we can’t let this stand. Gould’s a slime-sucker just as much as any other successful man on God’s green Earth. He’ll sell us out if he feels it will save even one patch of his skin.”

“So what do we do?”

“We take care of it. Cleanly. We have all made a mess, and we need to clean it up before mother thrashes us.”

Jay Gould died on his way to court to fight a lawsuit against him. The assassin was a disgruntled Californian businessman, who had traveled across the nation to avenge his financial failures. These failures were utterly unrelated to Gould’s schemes, but the man had gotten it into his head that Gould had somehow caused his downfall. Strangely, Gould’s assassin had known the precise location Gould would be, and had seemingly been aware of Gould’s every movement.

The scheme did not ruin the Republican party by any means. Colfax managed to avoid any legal fallout given the lack of evidence for his involvement. Impeachment against Vice President Wilson was considered, but he boldly argued his own innocence, and no legal action was taken. His reputation was ruined, however. His son, whose knowledge of the plot is debated, never worked again, and eventually died only a year after the scheme failed.

Boss Tweed, whose association with Gould was not public knowledge, managed to once-again manage to claim the Democratic Nomination, running against Republican Rutherford B. Hayes. Both men attacked the corruption of their oppositional party, a tactic largely avoided by Colfax but which Hayes put into effect as a result of Tweed’s heavy focus on the supposed connection between the Republicans and the Gould ring. Hayes attacked Tammany hall on the same basis, but connections between that ring and Gould’s were far less obvious or quantifiable.

President_Rutherford_Hayes_1870_-_1880_Restored.jpg

Rutherford B. Hayes

Tweed oriented very heavily to populist rhetoric, declaring that his presidency would truly be “for the people, by the people”. He would bring the Union out of the shadow of the war and into a new age, a golden age. Tweed also declared his candidacy to be one which would elevate not just the “American elite”, but hard-working average Americans and immigrants.

While the results were very close, the Western states’ last-minute flipping towards the Democrats, credited to rampant conspiratorial thought concerning Republican connections to the scheme to destroy their economies, managed to secure Tweed’s victory.

Samuel Clemens, a reporter whose life was about to become very interesting, mockingly referred to the age Tweed would bring about as one simply Gilded, not cast, in Gold.

jb_recon_boss_1_e.jpg

Have I mentioned that economics aren't my strong suit? Gould's ridiculous scheme (which is almost exactly the same as the one from OTL) is very, very strange, at least from my perspective.
Anyways, Tweed is the President-Elect, and Jay Gould is dead.

Nice chapter, interesting that Tweed is President. I wonder what his agenda will be when he officially starts his duties? How are things in the CSA?

this is going to be interesting

especially to see how tweed does forigen relations

can you imagine him taking aside a cultured European ambassador and going

"you know what I'm saying ? "

Chapter 13: A Near Miss in Mexico
Chapter 13: A Near Miss in Mexico

1677599934561.png

In 1875, the Mexican Empire was on incredibly shaky legs. The Habsburg monarchy established by the French intervention was a controversial one, supported by Conservative Mexicans, European monarchists, and few others. It had remained in power thanks to the willingness of Napoleon III to ensure their survival.
With Napoleon III dead and buried, his successor, Napoleon IV was faced with a conundrum. His advisors were of the opinion that the Mexican Empire should not be a priority, and the Emperor was of largely the same mind. The issue remained twofold, however: the success of the Mexican monarchy had been a source of prestige for the Empire, as well as a gateway to a new market in America. The other issue was that the French were fairly certain that the Mexican Monarchy would fall without French aid. French companies and merchants had much invested in Mexico, as did the crown, and so there were concerns that a revolution could damage the French economy, just as Juarez’s moratorium on debts had been a major factor for the intervention to begin with. An ungrateful Mexico would be predisposed to deny France what they felt they were owed.
In July of 1877, things changed for all parties involved. A Confederate merchant ship, the CSS Lubbock, was fired upon by a Mexican-controlled warship. Despite the fact that the ship had crossed into Mexican waters and no one aboard was harmed (the shots having missed), the Confederate government was enraged. Or perhaps, simply feigned anger as a means of justifying an invasion. The Knights of The Golden Circle still dreamed of a Central American Confederate Empire, and some viewed this as the chance to make it a reality. However, the French Empire issued a statement: war against Mexico would be met with French intervention.
This was a strategic move on the French’s part, who knew that this would project the notion that they were the defenders of Mexico, the only thing standing between Mexico and an invasion by Protestant Slavers. The Confederates knew they were not prepared to fight a war against Mexico, France, and most likely the Union as well. War was not declared, and the Confederates would be forced to wait.
The President and Vice President, for their part, were also opposed to the war, as their priority was internal reform. With the obvious difficulties they faced in reforming a nation built on a refusal to change, they knew a war with Napoleon and Maximillian would be a distraction they didn’t need. A loss would likely spell the death of their administration’s popularity, and possibly an uprising by slaves, while a victory would only strengthen the Golden Circle’s cause.
The Tweed administration up North guaranteed nothing when it came to a possible intervention against the South should such a war occur, but whispers could be heard of such a thing being possible; the Confederates remained eternally paranoid of a second round to the war between the states. Such a conflict would not occur at this moment, however. For the time being, the conflicts in America would come from tensions in the West, not the border between North and South...

Just a very short chapter, at the moment. I've been busy as of late with a number of life changes IRL (nothing tragic though, mostly good stuff), so it's been hard to update this TL. Consider this a prelude of what's to come, and an assurance that This Guilty Land is still alive.
EDIT: Updated a year, which I put down wrong.

Last edited:
Chapter 14: My Tennessee or Yours?
Chapter 14: My Tennessee or Yours?

1677733623712.png

Despite its status as a Confederate State, Tennessee had long been home to Unionist sentiment. This was relegated primarily to its Eastern regions, which had in fact attempted to secede from the state prior to the war so as to prevent becoming part of the new southern nation. This had been met with occupation by military forces so as to prevent Tennessee from leaving. Throughout the war, Unionist guerillas battled against the state government. A number of prominent Union military officials had been Tennessee sons.
Tennessee may have been won by the North had the Confederates not made keen tactical decisions. Their defensive policy reflected general Confederate doctrine, but their issues with their rebellious portions were a serious problem still.
Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston is often looked at as the man who prevented Northern conquest. His defense of Nashville is considered a major success: a virtually impossible situation accomplished nonetheless. "The fate of Nashville, from the Confederate standpoint, was all but decided by Johnston." [1]

1677733501973.png

General Johnston

Following the Confederate victory, much of the state remained discontent. Following continued guerilla activity, much of Eastern Tennessee was flooded with military forces in order to keep the peace. Areas of the state were put under military occupation for years following the war.

“I was 13 in the summer of 1877. Even over a decade after the end of the war, we were eyed with suspicion by officials. They knew my father had been a Unionist Nickajack, my mother had been tainted by the shame of being the widow of a man deemed a traitor. It had rubbed up on her new husband, who she made pretend was my own father, who would become belligerent and violent when I asked her about my real father. That summer, the army moved back into Greeneville. Someone had attacked a supply line, and they were punishing all of us. We couldn’t be trusted, they said. In that period, I began to see how they would act towards the poor they couldn’t control, how willing they were to treat a white man as they would a negro. To be treated as an enemy in your own homeland is a shame most will never know. The postal office was disrupted, packages rarely made it to us. My neighbor, a veteran Yeoman, had me run to deliver packages to the outside world: I was stealthy and spry, could sneak around at night. I’d leave them outside of town, and they’d be picked up by friends of his from nearby regions.
The third time I did this, I was shot by rifleman. The bullet lodged in my thigh, I fell in extreme pain. The soldiers ran to me and began to beat me, kick me, throttle me. They believed this child of thirteen was delivering messages to guerillas.
The letters had been a birthday greeting and a recipe for Sweet Potato Pie. My leg has never truly recovered.”
-Excerpt from the diary of Maynard E. Keats

[1] A modified quote from historian Steven E Woodsworth, the original being "The fate of Atlanta, from the Confederate standpoint, was all but decided by Johnston."

EDITED to fix a name spelling.

Last edited: