These Hills Sing of Saxon Kings

Hello one and all! It's time for another TL, I suppose. :eek: Here is, as promised, the first update. I hope you enjoy. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1066-1166

1066 AD - Harold II is crowned King of England in this year, claiming that Edward the Confessor had left the kingdom to him on his deathbed. From the beginning Harold has a busy year. The northern Earls Morcar and Edwin only begrudgingly accept him as the rightful king, seeing him as little more than a strongman and a usurper. He must also deal with two other men who claim the English throne. Harald Hardrada, and William of Normandy.

Hardrada proved to be not so great a problem. He was utterly destroyed at Stamford bridge, and at least for the time being Harold had won over Morcar and Edwin. But he had to get to Pevensey, and fast. Because William was on the move.

The battle was joined at Hastings. It would be a clash of cultures, where the Norman knight shall meet the Saxon shield wall.

At one point in the battle, William’s Breton forces on the left flank retreated (historians debate to this day whether or not the retreat was feigned). The Saxon infantrymen were preparing to charge after them, but then Harold himself came in front of his men and asked them, “Would you just as soon pursue death?” This kept the right flank of Harold’s forces from breaking, and kept the overall army from breaking.

This had a cumulative effect. The Saxons were not near as depleted by dusk than they would have been had they pursued the feigned retreats. Night fell on the 14th of October, 1066, and William was forced to retire. Harold Godwinson would live to see the tenth month’s fifteenth day.

In the early hours of October 15th, William realized he had no choice but to retreat. He had lost over three thousand men in the Battle, and his scouts had come back reporting seeing English ships patrolling the shore.

By October 16th, there were no Normans left in England. Harold, in a span of just 19 days had beaten back a Viking invasion force of over 7,500, and a Norman invasion force of 8,000.

Rightly, he was hailed as a hero. Harold Godwinson, King of England, had kept his crown and kingdom.

The rest of the year was spent consolidating his Kingdom. He braced the southern shores of England for another attack by William, but the attack never came. William in November of this year returned the Papal banner to Rome, basically telling the Pope, “Thank but no thanks.” William had weakened his position immensely, and now he had rival duchies in France breathing down his neck.

1067 AD - Another busy year for Harold. Malcolm III continued his slave raids on Northumbria, and Morcar and Edwin were letting Harold know about it. All the while the Welsh were getting to be a serious problem.

England continued to burgeon off the wool trade, and as such money was not a particular problem for Harold. Thus began the reprisal raids against the Welsh.

The Welsh were not difficult to defeat in battle, but it was in the inner hills and mountains of Wales that the English found themselves at odds with their Celtic enemy. And so the English avoided conflict in those aforementioned mountains all together. The reprisal succeeded. Harold constructed a few permanent fortifications along the new border, and called it a victory. And he was right. Various agreements were reached with the Welsh princes that basically ended the worst of the raids for the rest of Harold’s reign.

Elsewhere in Europe at this time, Olav III and Magnus II divide up Harald Hardrada’s kingdom amongst themselves.

1068 - 1069 AD - Harold’s troubles were not over. He still had to deal with Malcolm III of Scotland. Malcolm was causing him a lot of grief, because the longer Malcolm was allowed to raid Northumbria, the more angry Morcar and Edwin became. Something had to be done, Harold didn’t defeat Harald and William for nothing.

He understood that at this time in Scotland there was a dispute as to who was the rightful heir to the throne. Lulach, the previous king of Scotland, had been killed by Malcolm III and took the throne by force. This left Lulach’s eldest son Máel Snechtai with nothing more than Moray, and he was not content with having his claim go unrecognized.

In February of 1068 Harold sent a proposition to Máel Snechtai, that basically said that Harold was willing to go to war with Malcolm III and place him on the throne of Scotland on the condition that the raids on Northumbria stopped.

Harold’s successors would later find out it was a deal with the devil. But enough of that for now.

Máel Snechtai accepted the offer, and the campaign began in earnest in May 1068. The invasion of Scotland by England triggered a domino effect, as the Highland Scots took on an “enemy of my enemy” approach (The English were the Enemy of the Lowland Scots), and Malcolm III found himself in a bit of a situation.

By August 1069, with winter fast approaching, Malcolm III had no choice but to flee. There were too many factions in his court conspiring against him, too many enemies invading on all sides. Malcolm fled to Ireland.

On September 14th, 1069, Máel Snechtai of Moray was crowned King of Scotland. Shortly thereafter, Máel Snechtai signed the Treaty of Scone, proclaiming an alliance between England and Scotland. Morcar and Edwin hailed Harold as a hero, the protector of Northumbria. This day would be marked as the beginning of Harold’s short yet placid reign.

1070 - 1077 AD - Harold spent the rest of his reign dealing with the occasional Welsh or Scottish band of brigands who would descend from their poverty-stricken and mountainous lands to raid a farmhouse or two.

In international waters, the biggest battle Harold had to contend with was the Papacy, who still wouldn’t reconcile him. This battle of wills would continue to persist until 1073, when Pope Alexander II died.

But when Harold threw in his lot with Emperor Henry IV in the Investiture Controversy in 1075, Gregory decided that he best make friends where he could. In exchange for recognizing him as the legitimate Pope, Harold would be reconciled. Harold was given an offer he couldn’t refuse. Or, rather, he didn’t want to.

Harold would die in 1077 of natural causes. But Harold left a whole lot of questions of succession unanswered. He had three sons by Edith Swan-neck, Godwine, Edmund, and Magnus. He also had two sons by Aldith of Mercia, Harold and Ulf. Morcar was vying for position of king as well. In July of 1077 the Witanagemot convened in Winchester. Not to mention Harold had two brothers Gyrth and Leofwine

Harold and Ulf were ruled out right away, as at the time they were only 10 years old, and spent very little time concerned with matters of the state. Gyrth and Leofwine were very old and would not last all that much longer, and having to deal with another succession debacle was something the Witanagemot wished to avoid. This left four possible candidates, Morcar, Godwine, Edmund, and Magnus.

Morcar was the most distantly related to Harold, and his abject failure to defend his realms from Scots and Vikings only served to darken his appearance in the eyes of the Witan. This left three very able candidates, Godwine, Edmund, and Magnus. Godwine and Edmund were twins, and older than Magnus, so he was left out.

This left only Godwine and Edmund. The two had performed fantastically in battle against the Scots, and the witan argued over them into August of 1077. Finally, Edmund stepped down, proclaiming that he will not accept the position of king if given, and would not fight his brother for that title. Godwine was proclaimed the King of England.

Morcar wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Elswehere in the world, Marrakesh is founded in 1070, the Byzantine Empire loses the Battle of Manzikert in 1071, the Normans conquer Palermo in 1072, and Henry IV is reconciled at Canossa by Gregory VII.

1078 - 1079 AD - Morcar attempts a rebellion, and indeed does gain some support. However, the Godwins were seen as heroes to most of the people of Northumbria, and the Scottish king was more than eager to support Harold’s successor (and loot Northumbria, a favorite Scottish past time).

The result of this was that Morcar and his brother Edwin were both killed, Edwin in battle and Morcar by an assassin, presumably hired by Máel Snechtai. With Morcar’s death the brief civil war had ended. As an act of gratitude for his participation and support, King Godwine granted his brother Edmund the Earldoms of Mercia and Northumbria. The Godwin family now controlled almost all of England’s earldoms.

1080 - 1090 AD - Godwine spent this time continuing the policies of his father. He spent much money expanding the cities of York, London, and Winchester, as reminders of the glory of the Godwins’ reign. But things were about to change, when Máel Snechtai died in 1090. Máel Snechtai was a half-liked ruler, and he had no issue. Malcolm III was still living, and still had sons. He also had allies in Ireland willing to assist him in taking the throne.

Malcolm III’s brother Máel Muire, the Mormaer of Atholl, had thrown his lot in with the English when Harold Godwinson invaded, and he was the next logical choice for succession.

Also in 1085, Alfonso VI retook Toledo from the Moors. Pope Victor III is elected in 1086. Pope Urban II then ascends the Papacy in 1088.

1091 - 1094 AD - Civil war in Scotland. Malcolm III returned to Scotland, in an attempt to reclaim the throne. He gained support among the anti-English parts of the Scottish nobility, and had a strong position. But Máel Muire had the support of King Godwine of England, and the pro-English parts of the Scottish nobility.

But in late 1093 Malcolm died, and his sons were only willing to carry on the fight for a few more months. In 1094, Malcolm sons reached an agreement that they would renounce their claims if they were given the Mormaerdoms of Ross and Moray to the two eldest, and the rest were given various Thanedoms.

Scotland was secured once again. For now.

In Europe, in 1091 the Normans finally took the last Islamic strongholds in Sicily, and in that same year the Abbadids are overthrown by the Almoravids in Spain, and in 1094 Pope Urban II proclaims a Crusade.

1095 AD - King Godwine dies. The witan approves his son Osmund to ascend the throne.

Elsewhere in Europe, the Council of Clermont sparks off Crusading fervor all over the continent. Osmund expresses a desire to go on Crusade, but knows that he must stay to oversee the affairs of his country.

1096 AD - Earl Edmund of Northumbria dies less than a year after his brother.

1097 - 1114 AD - The reign of Osmund. A placid reign, it was marked by the construction of grand Cathedrals in Winchester, London, and York. In 1114 AD he died, in his late fifties. He had two sons, Edgar and Alfred. Edgar was granted the title King of England, while Alfred was granted the title Earl of Oxford.

Elsewhere in the world, the First Crusade was a resounding success, with the capture of Jerusalem by the First Crusade in 1099. Later in the year Pope Paschal II was elected. In 1105 Henry IV Holy Roman Emperor is deposed by his son Henry V, and in 1106 Henry IV dies. In 1110 the Crusade continues, with the capture of Beirut and Sidon, and in 1111 Henry V is officially recognized by Pope Paschal II as the Holy Roman Emperor,

1114 - 1128 AD - Reign of King Edgar. Again a very placid reign, although he was the first Anglo-Saxon king since Harold Godwinson to marry into the Danish nobility. He continued his father’s policies of maintaining peace on his borders, however his reign saw an increase in Welsh raids. These led to the standard reprisal raids, and few made much of it.

Pope Gelasius II succeeds Pope Paschal II as Pope in 1118, who is in turn succeeded by Pope Callixtus II in 1119, and it was during his reign that the Investiture Controversy came to a close in 1122 with the Concordat of Worms. Pope Honorius II succeeds Callixtus II in 1124. In 1125 Lothair of Saxony becomes Lothair II, Holy Roman Emperor.

In 1128 Edgar dies without an heir. The throne goes to the cadet branch, of the Earls of Northumbria. Edward the Earl of Northumbria ascends the throne.

1130 AD - In 1130 Máel Muire, King of Scotland, finally dies, after living to be over ninety years old. He was succeeded by his son Matad. Matad is friendly to the English, knowing that he owes his kingship to the actions of Edward’s grandfather.

In this year, Pope Innocent II is elected to succeed Honorius II.

1143 AD - Portugal officially recognized as independent by the Kingdom of Leon. Also in this year, Pope Celestine II succeeds Pope Innocent II.

1144 AD - King Edward dies. He is succeeded by his son Edward (III).

Lucius II succeeds Celestine II.

Antioch falls to Zengi.

1145 AD - Pope Eugene III succeeds Lucius II. Pope Eugene III calls the Second Crusade.

1146 AD - Bernard of Clairvaux preaches the Second Crusade. King Edward III was a relatively young man (38), his older brothers having predeceased him before he ascended the throne. He felt young enough to go on Crusade, and made preparations to do so.

1147 AD - Edward III having his clergymen preach the Second Crusade is a resounding success. The Crusade departed from Cornwall in May, with not only English, but Scottish, Irish, Norse, Flemish, German, and Norman crusaders. He leaves his son Harold III in charge of the Kingdom whilst he was away.

1148 - 1152 AD - Welsh raids intensify under the leadership of Owain Gwynedd. The raids were quite successful, and Harold III has little choice but to strike a deal with him.

1148 - 1149 AD - The English Crusaders take various Moorish settlements on their way to the Holy Land.

1150 - 1153 AD - Edward III arrives in the Holy Land, after the Siege of Damascus. He partakes in the Crusade, but after three years he wasn’t the first to realize this Crusade really wasn’t going anywhere. He departs, having in his mind fulfilled his Christian duty, he sets sail for England in 1153.

1153 AD - Eleanor of Aquitane marries Henry II Duke of Normandy. This puts the Normans in a position just as strong as the King of France.

In this year, Matad King of Scotland is succeeded by Malcolm III.

1154 AD - Edward III returns to England. He finds that his son has done only a mediocre job of running the country, and that he is currently at odds with Owain Gywnedd, King of Wales.

1155 - 1158 AD - Edward III launches a counterattack on Owain Gwynedd. Owain Gwynedd loses just about everything, as Edward III is a brilliant tactician, a veteran of the Second Crusade. In 1158 Owain has little choice but to divide up his kingdom with various Welsh noblemen (friends-of-convenience to England), and to cede Gwent, Morcannwg, and Brycheiniog to the Kingdom of England, in Edward III’s attempt to establish permanent English presence in Wales proper.

1166 AD - Death of Edward III. Accession of Harold III as King of England.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Map to come later. :)

I like this so far. Specifically, I like how the Godwinesons control most of the English earldoms now.

Thande

Donor
It's here! It's here! :D

Great work so far Thermo.

By October 16th 1066, there were no Normans left in England.
Is it wrong that I'm strangely aroused by that sentence? ;)

~~

Couple of notes-

1153 AD - Eleanor of Aquitane marries Henry II Duke of Normandy. This puts the Normans in a position just as strong as the King of France.

In this year, Matad King of Scotland is succeeded by Malcolm III.
Shouldn't this be Malcolm IV?

Also, I question why you're mixing the anglicised and Gaelic forms of the Scottish kings' names - Máel Snechtai, but not Máel Coluim (rather than Malcolm).
The Welsh were not difficult to defeat in battle, but it was in the inner hills and mountains of Wales that the English found themselves at odds with their Celtic enemy.
I recall that in OTL the Anglo-Normans first adopted the longbow after having it used against them to great effect by the Welsh in this sort of situation.

Wikipedia:
During the Anglo-Norman invasions of Wales, Welsh bowmen took a heavy toll on the invaders by using this extraordinary weapon of war. The English were quick to realise the impact that the longbow could produce on the battlefield. As soon as the Welsh campaign was successfully over, Welsh conscripts began to be incorporated into the English army. The lessons the English learned in Wales were later used with deadly effect by Welsh mercenaries on the battlefields of France and Scotland. Their skill was exercised under King Edward I of England (r. 1272–1307), who banned all sports but archery on Sundays, to make sure Englishmen practised with the longbow. As a result, the English during this period as a whole became very effective with the longbow. A variant (bow-staves) was used by 14th century mercenary troops of Sir John Hawkwood.

This might be a bit early for that, but just FYI.

Good work so far, as I said. What was William Rufus (OTL William II of England) like as Duke of Normandy after the ol' Bastard's death?

Agreed very good, i noticed you've been saying about the building up of Winchester, London and York. Now they want an establised presensence in Wales is somewhere like Cardiff or Bristol being built up?

Is it wrong that I'm strangely aroused by that sentence? ;)

'Tis only natural. ;)

Shouldn't this be Malcolm IV?

Well, the second Malcolm III I mentioned should, but Matad IIRC does not anglicize into Malcolm... ;)

Also, I question why you're mixing the anglicised and Gaelic forms of the Scottish kings' names - Máel Snechtai, but not Máel Coluim (rather than Malcolm).

I try to use the anglicized (;)) versions whenever possible, but I can't find anglicized forms for Matad, Mael Snechtai, Mael Muire, et al.

I recall that in OTL the Anglo-Normans first adopted the longbow after having it used against them to great effect by the Welsh in this sort of situation.

Wikipedia:

[snip]

This might be a bit early for that, but just FYI.

Excellent! Yes, a bit early, but certainly useful information!

Good work so far, as I said. What was William Rufus (OTL William II of England) like as Duke of Normandy after the ol' Bastard's death?

Mostly trying to clean up after the mess his father left. Not in a particularly strong position, but not in a particularly weak one either.

Agreed very good, i noticed you've been saying about the building up of Winchester, London and York. Now they want an establised presensence in Wales is somewhere like Cardiff or Bristol being built up?

Yes, they are building up Cardiff and Bristol in particular.

Thande

Donor
Well, the second Malcolm III I mentioned should, but Matad IIRC does not anglicize into Malcolm... ;)
Yes, I meant it should be Malcolm IV not Malcolm III.

Thermopylae said:
I try to use the anglicized (;)) versions whenever possible, but I can't find anglicized forms for Matad, Mael Snechtai, Mael Muire, et al.
Nor can I. I suspect that there weren't any in OTL because they never became prominent enough. However I think in TTL they would be.

Perhaps someone more versed in linguistics can help (paging Leo...) but I would hazard a guess that they would be something like ... 'Mathet', 'Malnech' and 'Malmor(e)' respectively.

Thande

Donor
Well I was trying to pawn that job off on someone else, but thanks. :rolleyes: ;)

I got a nice map now. :)

Jolly good. I hope you keep up the Fake Spanish when announcing the map, it was one of my inspirations for the Heterosexual Reconquista when you did it for CotH. :D

in that same year the Abbadids are overthrown by the Almoravids in Spain, and in 1094 Pope Urban II proclaims a Crusade.

Weren't these the Umayyads and not the Abbasids?

Good start Thermo!

Thande

Donor
Weren't these the Umayyads and not the Abbasids?
Ummayid rule in Spain ended 1031. I don't think there was any ruling dynasty between that time and 1086 when the Almoravids were invited in. Don't think the Abbasids were ever there.

For the names Máel Snechtai, Matad, and Máel Muire, Leo said to use Malsnecte, Madad / Maddad, and Malmure / Malmurr, respectively. Seems reasonable...

Thande

Donor
For the names Máel Snechtai, Matad, and Máel Muire, Leo said to use Malsnecte, Madad / Maddad, and Malmure / Malmurr, respectively. Seems reasonable...

Woe betide that I disagree with Leo ;) but I can't see the Anglo-Saxons getting their tongues around 'Malsnecte'. The others are reasonable though I think.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Woe betide that I disagree with Leo ;) but I can't see the Anglo-Saxons getting their tongues around 'Malsnecte'. The others are reasonable though I think.
BION, it's still used today as a Scots-Irish surname. I believe it's pronounced "malsnekt." Another equivalent is Malsnacht.

Thande

Donor
Not familiar with that particular Internet acronym, unless you're accusing me of being one of the robotic adversaries from Microsoft's Fury3 series ;)

Leo Caesius said:
it's still used today as a Scots-Irish surname. I believe it's pronounced "malsnekt." Another equivalent is Malsnacht.
Very well, although I'm not sure the transliteration situation is comparable.

~~

Another point, Thermo: flags. Everyone always forgets that the St George's cross and the three lions are Norman inventions. Prior to 1066, England rarely used a national flag, but when they did, they used the White Dragon flag. Few examples survive, but I've got a few latter day recreations:-

This one based on the Wessex design:

Anglo-Saxon Dragon 1.GIF