These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

c0rEtH2.png

FLQBskY.png

English translation of article here

Looks like you posted the wikipage twice instead of the wikipage and the Russian article.

According to the map, British Honduras (OTL Belize) and Cyprus continue to be ruled directly from Britain. What’s stopping them from gaining dominion-level autonomy? Britain won’t lose much; London can still override local laws and the British military can still have bases there.

According to the map, British Honduras (OTL Belize) and Cyprus continue to be ruled directly from Britain. What’s stopping them from gaining dominion-level autonomy? Britain won’t lose much; London can still override local laws and the British military can still have bases there.
Cyprus has representation in the UK House of Commons as a constituent territory akin to constituent countries like Scotland or Wales. British Honduras is a colony, so my guess is that they are too minor and underpopulated to warrant greater autonomy.

Looks like you posted the wikipage twice instead of the wikipage and the Russian article.

Thanks! Post vaccine brain is a bit slow. My bad!!

Cyprus has representation in Parliament, and has its own local government of sorts so its in a position where it won't be changing much in the future. British Honduras is still administered qa a colony because its generally believed to not be self sufficient enough for quasi-independence (Commonwealth) or to be able to manage its own affairs more (Dominion). It's colonial status also makes it a lot easier for London to simply create new military outposts if they need them, or to station soldiers/missiles/intelligence personal there

Why is Turkestan dark grey? With Khiva and Bukhara I imagine it is because the gubernatorial position is hereditary but what about the rest?

Why is Turkestan dark grey? With Khiva and Bukhara I imagine it is because the gubernatorial position is hereditary but what about the rest?

This is where the Russian Empire gets weird.

The Emirate of Bukhara still has an Emir, who has total control in his territory. Kokand and Khiva still have a Khan, under the same arrangement as Bukhara. Most crucially, they are not subjects of the Tsar. Though the Emire and the two Khans are subjects of the Tsar and swear fealty to him, but they maintain complete control in their territory, and the Russian Army maintains garrisons and bases there, which makes them this quasi-independent entity which is pretty common globally. They are not arranged under a Russian system of government, and maintain their traditional government and social structure, pretty much left alone to develop as they'd wish to (being part of Russia did help them develop, just from access to market goods).

Now, Ashgabat, Syr Darya, and Samarkand are all directly managed and owned by the Tsar himself (imagine it sorta like Congo under Leopold. Not exactly, but its close). The Duma is allowed to legislate for it, but Russians are discouraged from settling there lets say. The area is exceptionally poor, much poorer than Bukhara, Kokand, and Khiva are. Instead, they are pretty much left to fend for themselves under the nominal control of the Tsar, who appoints local leaders to provide administration of essential resources, supplies garrisons and military forts in the region (as well as a couple airbases, missile silos, and radar stations). There is no court system, and instead disputes are taken to the Tsar himself (this is often delegated), who issues a ruling which cannot be challenged. The Duma has split them off into various administrative divisions, which the Tsar appoints people to administer. They are technically like uyzeds in any other governorate, but they can't elect anyone to the Duma and it's the Tsar's personal territory.

In short, its complicated.

This is where the Russian Empire gets weird.

The Emirate of Bukhara still has an Emir, who has total control in his territory. Kokand and Khiva still have a Khan, under the same arrangement as Bukhara. Most crucially, they are not subjects of the Tsar. Though the Emire and the two Khans are subjects of the Tsar and swear fealty to him, but they maintain complete control in their territory, and the Russian Army maintains garrisons and bases there, which makes them this quasi-independent entity which is pretty common globally. They are not arranged under a Russian system of government, and maintain their traditional government and social structure, pretty much left alone to develop as they'd wish to (being part of Russia did help them develop, just from access to market goods).

Now, Ashgabat, Syr Darya, and Samarkand are all directly managed and owned by the Tsar himself (imagine it sorta like Congo under Leopold. Not exactly, but its close). The Duma is allowed to legislate for it, but Russians are discouraged from settling there lets say. The area is exceptionally poor, much poorer than Bukhara, Kokand, and Khiva are. Instead, they are pretty much left to fend for themselves under the nominal control of the Tsar, who appoints local leaders to provide administration of essential resources, supplies garrisons and military forts in the region (as well as a couple airbases, missile silos, and radar stations). There is no court system, and instead disputes are taken to the Tsar himself (this is often delegated), who issues a ruling which cannot be challenged. The Duma has split them off into various administrative divisions, which the Tsar appoints people to administer. They are technically like uyzeds in any other governorate, but they can't elect anyone to the Duma and it's the Tsar's personal territory.

In short, its complicated.
What would happen hypothetically speaking if an Emir or Khan were to commit a treasonous crime against the Tzar? Like saying “The Tzar is a senile old buffoon”

What would happen hypothetically speaking if an Emir or Khan were to commit a treasonous crime against the Tzar? Like saying “The Tzar is a senile old buffoon”

The Tsar has all the right in the world to march his army in and depose the rogue Emir or Khan. Generally it's not advised to do that, there's always a big Russian army lurking.

How many people live in these territories? If all three regions are 1) exceptionally poor, 2) unrepresented in the Duma, and 3) deprived of something as basic as a court system, then their long-term economic prospects must be pretty damned bleak - I'd expect labour migration and permanent emigration to further hollow out the population base. Wouldn't Russia be risking political discontent by upholding the status quo? Are there any local movements advocating for either governorate status (i.e. full annexation) or independence?

Last edited:
It's been about 9 months since the armistice between the British and Americans, so, how are the negotiations going? What are the main issues?

How many people live in these territories? If all three regions are 1) exceptionally poor, 2) unrepresented in the Duma, and 3) deprived of something as basic as a court system, then their long-term economic prospects must be pretty damned bleak - I'd expect labour migration and permanent emigration to further hollow out the population base. Wouldn't Russia be risking political discontent by upholding the status quo? Are there any local movements advocating for either governatorate status (i.e. full annexation) or independence?

The problem is that they are in this limbo zone of not really being Russian and not really being independent. It's up to the Tsar to really do anything, but there is still a massive contingent of people within the Empire (and these regions) that advocate for the status quo, because if it where to be opened to the rest of the Russian Empire... Then you're going to see the ever-expanding arm of Russian settlers and Russian suburbia plowing through any useable territory and redevelopment of cities to accommodate Russian tastes. Russia has no shortage of people that need homes, and a nice warm retirement community would sell very well among the wealthy suburbanites around St. Petersburg and Moscow.

To answer your question:
Ashgabat: 2,461,077
Syr Darya: 14,128,101
Samarkand: 4,826,164

You didn't request them, but...

Kokand: 5,272,471
Bukhara: 4,881,706
Khiva: 4,190,880

For reference, Krasnovodsk Governorate has a population of 3,219,454.

The following territories have a combined population of 55,564,333:

Akmola Governorate
Aral Sea Governorate
Ashgabat
Emirate of Bukhara
Gur'yev Governorate
Khante of Khiva
Emirate of Kokand
Krasnovodsk Governorate
Pavlodar Governorate
Petropavlovsk Governorate
Samarkand
Semipalatinsk Governorate
Syr Darya

It's been about 9 months since the armistice between the British and Americans, so, how are the negotiations going? What are the main issues?

There will be an update on this in the future. At the moment, they have achieved peace. There is no further information for either the discord or this thread on the specifics - it was discussed in a sidebar a couple updates back!

Maybe this has been asked before, but how do you make the fake Wikipaedia articles for this? I’ve been trying to research this for a project but I haven’t found any good ways to do it.

Maybe this has been asked before, but how do you make the fake Wikipaedia articles for this? I’ve been trying to research this for a project but I haven’t found any good ways to do it.
There are loads of tutorials for it, here are some that I know of, https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=resources:infobox_tutorial, I think both of these are conclusive enough, do keep in mind that you don't have to do any "coding", you have the visual editor in your sandbox. There is also this site if you want to make only battles from wars, https://n.bellok.de/wikibox/. You can ask me about it if you want too, given that I have spent some time fiddling with it