These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

eH2bj1O.png
So, what does "ICV" mean here? I assumed it means "Internal Combustion Vehicle" at first, but it seems weird that some countries would ban hybrids while allowing internal combustion-powered vehicles.

So, what does "ICV" mean here? I assumed it means "Internal Combustion Vehicle" at first, but it seems weird that some countries would ban hybrids while allowing internal combustion-powered vehicles.
I believe you are misinterpreting the map. "New ICVs, Hybrids banned" means New Internal Combustion Vehicles and New Hybrid Vehicles are banned. Existing vehicles are allowed to operate.

Why would newer models of ICV's be banned? If they are being regulated for environmental purposes, wouldn't the newer more efficient ones be encouraged?
Given how climate change is happening at a faster pace than OTL, most governments would probably want to wind down fossil fuel consumption as quickly as possible.

How is mass transit handled? Same rules? More light rail usage?
Previous updates have hinted that cars are less common and mass transit is the default mode of transportation for many people. I would speculate that many of the old streetcar networks were upgraded rather than being replaced by buses, but they would serve a similar role to buses today (single or double carriages stopping frequently in mixed traffic).

Goddamn, Darwin's practically a one party state, and it looks like it's dominated by the Chinese population. 40 years of party governance is a hell of a thing.

What are the ideologies of the two parties mentioned? Based on their names the ruling one seems to be basically Singapore's PAP, and the other one seems to be kind of the same thing but more laissez faire economically.

Quick question in regards to the internet.
Are there VPNs available that allows people in territories not covered by the Commonwealth internet to access it?
VPNs are illegal in the Commonwealth, though I am not sure about elsewhere. If you want to use a different internet, you'll need to have a device with access to that internet. However, I think that the Internet is available in any country that allows it, so long as you have the right device for it.

VPNs are illegal in the Commonwealth, though I am not sure about elsewhere. If you want to use a different internet, you'll need to have a device with access to that internet. However, I think that the Internet is available in any country that allows it, so long as you have the right device for it.
Then again, say that I'm in Bengal, where strange Russian unpronounceable equivalent of the internet is available. Can't I access a server in Turkey through which I can access the Commonwealth internet? Both the Russian and Commonwealth equivalents are available in Turkey.

Then again, say that I'm in Bengal, where strange Russian unpronounceable equivalent of the internet is available. Can't I access a server in Turkey through which I can access the Commonwealth internet? Both the Russian and Commonwealth equivalents are available in Turkey.
Both the Russian and British networks are accessible within Turkey, but that doesn't mean that they're connected to each other. Going to a website hosted by Vebsoyedineniye on a Turkish server would still keep you within the confines of the Russian network. From what we understand, the other networks take great care to insulate themselves from the Internet, and knowing the history between Bengal and the British Empire, trying to access the Internet without a good reason is likely to set off some bells. You'd probably have an easier time accessing Nettowaku or AmeriNet, though.

Ashley is free to correct me if I got anything wrong here, of course.

Last edited: