These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

BFyshdp.png
It kinda looks like the N. Island is "New Zealand" and the S. Island is "Aotearoa" lol.

So albanese is just a caretaker is she?

Well he won't since Wong will never take it, if he becomes PM, he'll remain PM since he'd have won the election and Labor (I should hope) aren't stupid enough to try and change leaders again. Not that he's too bad in fairness (not as good as Wong mind you and has been purposely been vague but certainly could be worse).

Always nice to see first thing in the morning.

So, there was a ceasefire in effect for eighteen whole years, eh? Was conflict between Niassa and Kaufestroom a major part of TTL's 1990s... or even earlier? What has happened between these two nations to ruin peace after so long?

Where does London really fall into all this? Obviously, the War in America is their #1 priority, but can they spare some force to intervene in Africa, or at least put diplomatic pressure on one party? What interests, economic or political, has London got in southern Africa at this point?
-------
A few further questions about the American War:

I assume this American "interim government" is a pro-British puppet regime. In a previous article of yours, it said that "the streets of New York City, once filled with crowds of pro-Democracy activists during the night, sit silent as Imperial tanks rumble down the streets". With Philadelphia now in British hands, this puppet government would have de jure jurisdiction over most of the northeastern US. It will have all the legitimacy of Manchukuo, of course, but there's a base for further growth. The decision to establish an interim puppet government suggests a British desire to continue the war. After all, if they're in NYC and Philadelphia, they've secured the initial war aim: to defend the borders of New England and Canada. How much further do they want to go? Popular support for the war seems pretty low back home and, as this article shows, their other global commitments aren't going away. Occupying all of the United States long term would be hugely expensive for little gain. Yet, the British can't really pull out. They were attacked totally unprovoked and the threat to New England and Canada remains. Since the CPO, not Hogan, launched the attacks, there is a small chance the British could enter into negotiations with Hogan-- presenting him to their people as the "rational" voice of the American leadership as opposed to "those crazy CPO men who attacked our country". I don't think it's likely-- the public would likely percieve it as a cave in, or selling out-- but it might be Britain's best chance for peace.

Now, here's the elephant in the room: what is the relationship between Chairman Hogan and the CPO? Judging by his statement to "eradicate" them, they are now sworn enemies: the rift is open. While we know Hogan didn't launch the attacks, it seems that he's continuing to resist. In a way, he's caught in a bind: the war is clearly destroying his country, and he didn't even ask for it, but he can't opt out. Hogan's already seen just how tenuous his grip on power is, and though the CPO appears to have been negated, doubtless other rivals remain in the wings. If Hogan asks for peace while the EEVIL INGGLISH IMPYR is occupying a significant portion of the country... that's surrendering, and people will see that as treason. Hogan knows full well he couldn't survive such a thing. Yet at the same time, British missile strikes have wrecked American infrastructure, and the American military is obviously not up to the task of defending the homeland. So there is really no way out for either side.

So, there was a ceasefire in effect for eighteen whole years, eh? Was conflict between Niassa and Kaufestroom a major part of TTL's 1990s... or even earlier? What has happened between these two nations to ruin peace after so long?

Where does London really fall into all this? Obviously, the War in America is their #1 priority, but can they spare some force to intervene in Africa, or at least put diplomatic pressure on one party? What interests, economic or political, has London got in southern Africa at this point?
-------

I assume this American "interim government" is a pro-British puppet regime. In a previous article of yours, it said that "the streets of New York City, once filled with crowds of pro-Democracy activists during the night, sit silent as Imperial tanks rumble down the streets". With Philadelphia now in British hands, this puppet government would have de jure jurisdiction over most of the northeastern US. It will have all the legitimacy of Manchukuo, of course, but there's a base for further growth. The decision to establish an interim puppet government suggests a British desire to continue the war. After all, if they're in NYC and Philadelphia, they've secured the initial war aim: to defend the borders of New England and Canada. How much further do they want to go? Popular support for the war seems pretty low back home and, as this article shows, their other global commitments aren't going away. Occupying all of the United States long term would be hugely expensive for little gain. Yet, the British can't really pull out. They were attacked totally unprovoked and the threat to New England and Canada remains. Since the CPO, not Hogan, launched the attacks, there is a small chance the British could enter into negotiations with Hogan-- presenting him to their people as the "rational" voice of the American leadership as opposed to "those crazy CPO men who attacked our country". I don't think it's likely-- the public would likely percieve it as a cave in, or selling out-- but it might be Britain's best chance for peace.

Now, here's the elephant in the room: what is the relationship between Chairman Hogan and the CPO? Judging by his statement to "eradicate" them, they are now sworn enemies: the rift is open. While we know Hogan didn't launch the attacks, it seems that he's continuing to resist. In a way, he's caught in a bind: the war is clearly destroying his country, and he didn't even ask for it, but he can't opt out. Hogan's already seen just how tenuous his grip on power is, and though the CPO appears to have been negated, doubtless other rivals remain in the wings. If Hogan asks for peace while the EEVIL INGGLISH IMPYR is occupying a significant portion of the country... that's surrendering, and people will see that as treason. Hogan knows full well he couldn't survive such a thing. Yet at the same time, British missile strikes have wrecked American infrastructure, and the American military is obviously not up to the task of defending the homeland. So there is really no way out for either side.
From the looks of it, Hogan is coming to suppress his internal enemies, and so long as the war continues to be a slog, with places in Canada and New England getting bombed or invaded, the Empire hopefully lose interest from lack of internal support. In addition, the fact that the "Eevil Ingglish Impyr" is invading and creating a puppet state in the first place could lead to a vindication of all that previous American propaganda, leading to a rally-round-the-flag effect among the American people. Plus, while Puerto Rico and Santo Domingo are gone, the loss of Napoleon's special forces after they decamped for France and Louisiana's lack of easy defensibility (it is in lowlands) means that a consolidated Hogan regime can still basically win this war and give the British a black eye in the process.

Very nice.
Looking at this map, I gather the Americans landed on New Haven, Hartford, and Springfield, as well as the cross-Long Island Strait lines, like a tonne of bricks. Those 'military lines' must be very busy... and I assume the civilian ones have been de facto requisitioned as well.

How much of the NE system is in private hands? Does the government have much of a stake (perhaps even a controlling one?) in New Haven Southern, Long Island, or Mass. Central?

Asking as someone ignorant of railroad matters-- apologise in advance for my ignorance.

-------

The ceasefire did hold for... some time. The area has seen warfare on and off since the Boers ended up there in the first place by the late 1800s/early 1900s.

I struggle to see London having a vested interest in the southern Africa conflict. It is one of those things best left delegated to the powers that be down there. If anything, the wider Empire remains a benefactor of the oppressive regimes of the Boer states. The horrific working conditions that the miners face mean that copper and other resources are produced for dirt cheap rates - meaning shipments from "Niassa" are more or less produced with near-slave labour and help fuel the economies of several Imperial realms.

The American interim government is ostensibly formed from local anti-DSU/anti-CPO forces. It has considerable support from the Imperial forces, and is recognised as the legtimate government of the United States - so the British wouldn't extend peace conversations with the Chairman. The Lord President has made this much clear, as the American interim Governing Council has already met under the protection of the Imperial forces.

Do the British have an exit strategy? No. Not really. It's not particually a good situation for anyone involved. Do the Americans have an exit strategy themselves? Also no. They had several significant advantages, however. The United States has a large, loyal populace. A highly trained internal police force that can be turned against foreign enemies. An extremely large defense in depth that can employ the vast territory of the United States, and to put it simply - too much land to be effectively administered under foreign occupation.

The American government may collapse, sure. But good luck administering it.

Napoleon tried for treason?!

Indeed, he was captured by the French government during his hospital visit after ending up being shot during a failed raid on his compound.

From the looks of it, Hogan is coming to suppress his internal enemies, and so long as the war continues to be a slog, with places in Canada and New England getting bombed or invaded, the Empire hopefully lose interest from lack of internal support. In addition, the fact that the "Eevil Ingglish Impyr" is invading and creating a puppet state in the first place could lead to a vindication of all that previous American propaganda, leading to a rally-round-the-flag effect among the American people. Plus, while Puerto Rico and Santo Domingo are gone, the loss of Napoleon's special forces after they decamped for France and Louisiana's lack of easy defensibility (it is in lowlands) means that a consolidated Hogan regime can still basically win this war and give the British a black eye in the process.

It is widely believed in some circles that the lack of a disunited American home front, the Canadian and New England endvours in the United States will face and extremely difficult task.

How much of Philly was left to capture, anyway?

In terms of the the city's physical infrastruture? Quite a lot, really. One of America's largest cities, with some of the largest industry that side of the Appalachians. It was a huge blow.

Very nice.
Looking at this map, I gather the Americans landed on New Haven, Hartford, and Springfield, as well as the cross-Long Island Strait lines, like a tonne of bricks. Those 'military lines' must be very busy... and I assume the civilian ones have been de facto requisitioned as well.

How much of the NE system is in private hands? Does the government have much of a stake (perhaps even a controlling one?) in New Haven Southern, Long Island, or Mass. Central?

Asking as someone ignorant of railroad matters-- apologise in advance for my ignorance.

I am unsure what you mean by "landed?" American missile technology was quite poor, the attack on New Haven was considered a pretty lucky shot. The civilian lines are double to quadruple tracked, so there has been service disruptions, but it's not horrible.

The "Big Four" of New England are the Long Island Railroad, the New Haven Southern Railroad, the Central Massachusetts Railroad, and the Halifax and St. Lawrence Railroad. They were all forecfully consolidated by the government, with passenger service being both mandated and highly subsidised. Service cuts are illegal under the law.

Are the two railroad connections to Long Island underwater tunnels or bridges?

They are birdges! The one on the North Fork is from the 1890s. The second one in the west is from the 1990s.

I hate to nitpick, but if the Mekong delta, south Florida, etc are underwater ITTL, then shouldn't most of Nantucket and the Cape be too? Or are the authorities who made the map trying to somehow cover this up?

Mea culpa. I hadn't taken the time to do the sea level rise on the map -- one can assume official maps will sometimesshow the "traditional" sea levels.

---

I must apologise for both my length of absense and inability to answer questions! Life has been hectic for me. I have been working behind the scenes on several new updates and there are some more things coming down the line...