These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

BBC's War in America: 16-May-2021
a0v6qFt.png

When I say, "what a bloody mess", I'm being rather more literal than usual. Of course, this is amazing.

It looks as though the US Southeast is more or less falling apart... Also very interesting that the Republic of Louisiana controls a part of southern Mississippi. Also, is the Ripublic ov Gorgya (Georgia ;)) about to declare independence? It looks like it controls enough for that to be maybe possible...

Any word on possible British intervention? Perhaps, at the very least, the Royal Navy could move to protect Puerto Rico or Haiti?

PNWKing

Banned
Any word on the fate of a certain OTL Congresslady who was mentioned as a TTL potential Privy Councilor? Has she fled to New England yet?

My guess is the continental rebellions are screwed, but the Caribbean ones have a chance. Assuming the US military is reasonably modernized and has no serious loyalty problems, it would be nearly impossible to beat them in a straight conflict. If they have tanks, drones, ICBMs, chemical weapons, and simply more raw men with rifles than the rebels, the rebels can't win a conventional war.

But in the Caribbean, there's a different story. It's further away and of lesser priority than the mainland, so I imagine reinforcements are scarce. But more importantly, if the rebels can drive out the army garrisons, they could petition the Royal Navy for protection. If that happens, well, the US can not launch a reinvasion. I imagine you could create a situation comparable to the Mainland China-Taiwan relationship of OTL.

My guess is the continental rebellions are screwed, but the Caribbean ones have a chance. Assuming the US military is reasonably modernized and has no serious loyalty problems, it would be nearly impossible to beat them in a straight conflict. If they have tanks, drones, ICBMs, chemical weapons, and simply more raw men with rifles than the rebels, the rebels can't win a conventional war.
While physically occupying territory is probably impossible long-term, I imagine the rebels could create a guerilla force large enough to deny much of the Southeast to Hogan but for the major cities (and conduct the odd terrorist attack in those too).

But in the Caribbean, there's a different story. It's further away and of lesser priority than the mainland, so I imagine reinforcements are scarce. But more importantly, if the rebels can drive out the army garrisons, they could petition the Royal Navy for protection. If that happens, well, the US can not launch a reinvasion. I imagine you could create a situation comparable to the Mainland China-Taiwan relationship of OTL.
The US military is 400,000 strong.
The UK will not join unless Hogan attacks them first.

Realistically Louisiana wouldn't be able to secure its independence unless Texas also became independent due to it being completely surrounded by the US, and right now it doesn't look like any Texans are rebelling yet.

Stellar work as always! I wish we could get the etymologies of some of the alt-cities of the South soon.
  • What happened to the insurgency in Ohio (if you could even call it that)? Did it get brutally quashed within just one month? If so, that does not bode well for Louisiana and south Georgia.
  • Out of all the mainland states that could've rebelled, why Louisiana? Is it because of their unique history (maybe the state has more French settlers?), or is it just that it happens to be a highly dense and more progressive state? The same question goes for south Georgia (and other areas in Florida and South Carolina).
  • How do other countries view the rebellions in America? I assume that the general populace would want intervention, but governments refuse to intervene in fear of biochemical weapons being sent their way.
EDIT:
  • Come to think of it, the Louisianian rebellion has control roughly in state lines. What is the general mood of some of the higher-ups in nearby states? Are they willing to conscript people to fight the rebels, or did the federal government force them to? What is the structure of the military in the US?
  • Which people in the union even know about the atrocities being committed in the frontlines?
  • How are the rebellions covered in American state media? I don't think they can easily brush this off given that these rebellions are different and more intense. Hopefully we can see an American POV article soon.
I apologize in advance if I'm asking too many questions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 77383

Stellar work as always! I wish we could get the etymologies of some of the alt-cities of the South soon.
  • What happened to the insurgency in Ohio (if you could even call it that)? Did it get brutally quashed within just one month? If so, that does not bode well for Louisiana and south Georgia.
  • Out of all the mainland states that could've rebelled, why Louisiana? Is it because of their unique history (maybe the state has more French settlers?), or is it just that it happens to be a highly dense and more progressive state? The same question goes for south Georgia (and other areas in Florida and South Carolina).
  • How do other countries view the rebellions in America? I assume that the general populace would want intervention, but governments refuse to intervene in fear of biochemical weapons being sent their way.
EDIT:
  • Come to think of it, the Louisianian rebellion has control roughly in state lines. What is the general mood of some of the higher-ups in nearby states? Are they willing to conscript people to fight the rebels, or did the federal government force them to? What is the structure of the military in the US?
  • Which people in the union even know about the atrocities being committed in the frontlines?
  • How are the rebellions covered in American state media? I don't think they can easily brush this off given that these rebellions are different and more intense. Hopefully we can see an American POV article soon.
I apologize in advance if I'm asking too many questions.
Those are actually some pretty good questions. I’m sure cosmic ash wouldn’t mind asking them when she has the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The plot thickens. I’m loving it so far.

Who is Lord President Adams?

And why did the US government ever permit the Imperial Guard to operate within its borders? Isn’t that a disaster waiting to happen?

Also who’s in the Imperial Guard and why do they join? Is it Frenchmen who came over to Louisiana out of loyalty to Napoleon, or is it Americans? And why are there so many of them?

Excellent work as always! Looks like things have really gotten worse, haven't they?

• Nice to know that the Empire doesn't acknowledge the existence of Spain/eastern Portugal. Also weird to see a formerly Hungarian Libya (or for that matter, any Hungarian colony, if it ever was)
  • Brave of Mexico to acknowledge the new Caribbean nations; seems that they're prepared for any potential conflicts with America. Though given the situation the US isn't really poised to fight another country.
  • Who is ALO?

Last edited: