These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Nuclear weapons do not exist on the scale we are familiar with. Perhaps you can imagine much smaller yields, much bigger bombs.

The real WMDs are the highly developed chemical and biological weapons that most great powers own.
I'm assuming that no big wars happen in the 20th century that necessitate the development of nuclear bombs. What made countries lean to bioweapons anyway?

Speaking of nuclear, which forms of energy production are the most popular right now? I can imagine renewables being on top of the scene due to climate change being a greater issue.

Also, if I may ask, how did the climate get even worse than it did compared to OTL?

I'm assuming that no big wars happen in the 20th century that necessitate the development of nuclear bombs. What made countries lean to bioweapons anyway?

Speaking of nuclear, which forms of energy production are the most popular right now? I can imagine renewables being on top of the scene due to climate change being a greater issue.

Also, if I may ask, how did the climate get even worse than it did compared to OTL?
Lesser research into nuclear energy perhaps? The overall increased authoritarianism stifling creative thought and research, thereby inhibiting technological development without immediate military applications? Racism and sexism being a presumably more dominant ideology holding back the talents of women? For instance, I very much doubt that this USA would have allowed the talents of Grace Murray Hopper to flourish, which would mean that computing would be held back. And so on

Indeed. Few people know, or care, about how the British marched into Benin, and ransacked Benin City. They destroyed it as a punitive measure, and also engaged in rampant, uncontrolled looting.

This is the cost of Empire.
I don't do much more than skim most of the timelines on M&G, but I'm more than elated to read someone making a timeline in which there is a massive continent-spanning empire and understands that that would be an awful, awful thing.

PNWKing

Banned
AdmiralMB said: Most people wonder what happened to OTL George Pataki too.
Hey, I think he's still alive. He ran for President in 2016. He's probably just doing what most retired politicians are doing: Paid speeches for various groups, think tank work, etc.

Hey, I think he's still alive. He ran for President in 2016. He's probably just doing what most retired politicians are doing: Paid speeches for various groups, think tank work, etc.
The fact that you aren't sure if he is alive or not speaks volumes on how little has come out from him since his flop presidential campaign back in '16.

Why do federal Liberals run only in some provinces? How could they aim at becoming official opposition by not running everywhere? To which of the main parties are they closer and are more likely to support in case of a hung parliament?
How different is the proportion between the various ethnicities and how differently are they distributed in North America ITTL? How did emigration from Europe differ ITTL?

Why do federal Liberals run only in some provinces? How could they aim at becoming official opposition by not running everywhere?
I can only assume that they don't bother running in places they aren't even remotely competitive in. Either that, or they can't afford to run more candidates.

Sir William Sherman
DaLZt06.png

Absolutely bloody glorious.
Again, I love how you make it very clear that the Empire didn't suddenly become a benevolent enterprise because handwavium, but with things like the Wenatchee massacre you show the horrors of Imperial ambition. I would guess that Sherman would be one figure subject to significant portion of historical reassessment. Older generations might look to him as a great leader and war hero but the matter of his brutality might prompt questioning of his legacy. Very cool!

Last edited:
Sounds like Canada had its own version of the Trail of Tears- whereabouts is the First Nations Reserve? On the subject of First Nations, Sherman's OTL middle name is conspicuously absent- what happened with Tecumseh in this timeline?