These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

I love the subtle differences in internet terminology- takedown instead of download, and "set your AmeriNet to" implying people at least initially analogized websites to radio stations or tv channels.

Does the United States ITTL have a National Park Service or National Parks? Was Theodore Roosevelt relevant at all ITTL? Was there a conservationist movement in the late 1800s?
As for your national parks question, @CosmicAsh said on the discord that no national parks exist, as TFS America can't have nice things. Also, the west may very well not exist to most Americans. The countries' beating heart is the Mississippi river, and most Americans don't want to travel through unpaved roads and vast wilderness to see a bunch of funny looking mountains, pine trees and bison.

As for your national parks question, @CosmicAsh said on the discord that no national parks exist, as TFS America can't have nice things. Also, the west may very well not exist to most Americans. The countries' beating heart is the Mississippi river, and most Americans don't want to travel through unpaved roads and vast wilderness to see a bunch of funny looking mountains, pine trees and bison.
Not to mention that the further west you go, the greater the chance you might end up in the "morally depraved papist wasteland" of Mexico or the "wretched hive of scum and villainy" that is known as Canada.

I'm curious how this world views the plight of Native Americans, as their relationship is far more cordial with the United States. It would not be surprising if, instead of the First Nations, it is the Siberian peoples filling the niche of the iconic indigenous culture evicted by an encroaching European empire.

aqby7Hj.png
Reminds me of this creepypasta.

• Now, this USA seems hostile to Great Britain, but reasonably friendly to South Africa (which I presume is an Apartheid or Apartheid-like state?). Does this imply a split between London and South Africa at some point? Did Johannesburg (I see that's the capital ITTL) leave the empire on bad terms?
You're assuming that the South African Federation was ever part of the British Empire ITTL.

I'm guessing that climate change denialism is even stronger in the US than IOTL due to the influence of corporations.

Right on the money

Although why was the city named Aspen and not after some local tribe? What about the city of Aspen's daily paper? As the daily paper in Spokane OTL, the Spokesman-Review was founded by the Cowles family, which started out of Chicago as shareholders in the Chicago Tribune. Depending on how the US was at the time, they could have still emigrated, but would a British or other parts of Canada emigrant have established a paper there instead.

Given how cities were named, there is no one thing that would have mandated they take the name of a local indigenous population and apply it to a city. I do not have information on Aspen's newspaper, unfortunately.

Does the United States ITTL have a National Park Service or National Parks? Was Theodore Roosevelt relevant at all ITTL? Was there a conservationist movement in the late 1800s?

The United States does not have a National Parks system. Theodore "The Butcher" Roosevelt is remembered for the Yucatan War, and his legacy is seen as a great stain on America for his numerous failures.

@CosmicAsh do the North American nations have strict border policies regarding immigration and travel (and other issues), or do they have an EU-style arrangement? Is there something resembling the OTL US Interstate Highway System?

The United States is walled off (both figuratively and literally). Mexico has a heavy border patrol along the Rio Grande, along with strategic defenses built. The Mexican Army is permanently stationed there. New England, along with most of the eastern Canadian provinces, maintain a border wall with the United States.

There is no federal motorway system in the United States.

Did the Trail of Tears occur in a similar fashion or at all?

There was forceful removal of indigenous populations, but after the 1850s and the depopulation of the coast, many simply moved back, or moved to newly open land on the seaboard.

I noticed that Newfoundland doesn't appear on the list of British dominions- how'd it end up leaving the empire while Canada and New England stayed?

They did not leave the Empire. I believe it was just a mistake on my part.

*American Liberation Front* Oh wow... *horrors seen in Europe* Oh wow... *Wives, out of cooking ideas?* O h - w o w . . .
What is the central ideology of the American Liberation Front, if any?

It indeed paints.. one hellva picture. But... it is most important to note that this is a U.S. Government website. State Media is clearly on display at all times.

Anti-Americanism.

I am thinking that the terrorist threat must continue to ensure Hogan remains Chairman.

It is a bit more... engaged than that. It would be in the Chairman's best interests for the terrorist threat to cease.

Impressive. Just a couple things which jumped out:

• I'm guessing this an intra-net broadly similar to North Korea's- you can only visit American websites, can't access foreign media, etc.
  • The "horrors in Europe"- I'm guessing this is rubbish propaganda, again, akin to the rot North Korea makes up about South Korea, the USA, etc. That said, is there anything specific this article is referring to- a war in Europe? Come to think of it, what's TTL America's stance on religion? Are they hostile to Catholicism and Catholic countries, emphasiaing the country's Protestant history? A more nationalistic USA surely wouldn't have religious freedom, and the government might well view Catholic culture as 'depraved'. Sadly, there is precedent there in OTL.
  • What exactly is this "American Liberation Front"? Is it in any way inspired by Communism or a TTL analogue? Furthermore, given that guerilla violence is evidently prevalent in the US Southeast, how much lower are the living standards there? Given that this news website even has a "report terrorism" button, how serious an issue is it in TTL's America? Are guerilla conflicts, bombings, etc fairly common, or does the definition of "terrorism" encompass placing a family portrait higher on the wall than the framed photographs of Alexander Hamilton and Larry Hogan? ;)
  • Now, this USA seems hostile to Great Britain, but reasonably friendly to South Africa (which I presume is an Apartheid or Apartheid-like state?). Does this imply a split between London and South Africa at some point? Did Johannesburg (I see that's the capital ITTL) leave the empire on bad terms?
Apologies for the disconnected questions, @CosmicAsh. This is brilliant as always.

- You are correct. There are probably two or three copper connections to the outside world, but accessing them would be exceptionally difficult for any American to access and 95% of it is composed of government traffic. Due to the United States' size, AmeriNet is actually very active, has a lot of pages, discussion forums, playable games, ect.
- Propaganda. The United States doesn't view Catholicism with discontent, or openly malign it, due to the early support of the white, catholic slaveholders in the American Caribbean. Protestantism is very much stressed to be the norm, and there have been several state policies to encourage Protestent doctrine in the Catholic territories.
- It is an Anti-American group that could be reasonably understood to occupy a similar strength to the Free Syrian Army IRL. The US Southeast is the most left-wing region of the entire country. The country's terrorism laws are extremely broad, and even suggestions of impropriety can result in arrest.
- After the British destroyed Hamilton, D.C. and saw the constitution used a cigar wrapper, the Americans have held limitless animosity for the British. The South-African Federation was never part of the British Empire.

Has Chairman Hogan had the President "retire" yet?

The President has not been heard from recently. Most Western observers are not really clear who is President, as there was no publicised inauguration ceremony in March. I do wonder where the President went myself.

You're assuming that the South African Federation was ever part of the British Empire ITTL.

The South-African Federation was never part of the British Empire.

- After the British destroyed Hamilton, D.C. and saw the constitution used a cigar wrapper, the Americans have held limitless animosity for the British.
Wow. That is.... one heck of a provocation. I mean, I'm British and I winced at that. Very cool symbolism, but that would do it to endlessly poison relations.
I'm guessing the equivalent of 1812 went very badly for America.