These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

A broader question: when was the last time when the United States was considered a fully-functioning democracy?

Some interesting info I looked up that might make some good wikibox content at some point: the various high points of the twelve New England provinces.

1. (New Hampshire) Mount Agiocochook- 1,916m
  2. (Adirondack) Mount Broussard- 1,629m
  3. (Acadia) Mount Katahdin- 1,606m
  4. (Vermont) Mount Mansfield- 1,339m
  5. (Massachusetts Bay) Sugarloaf Mountain- 1,291m
  6. (Connecticut) MB/CT border on the southern slope of Mount Frizzle- 725m
  7. (Ile-Royale) White Hill- 535m
  8. (Nova Scotia) Hart Peak- 345m
  9. (Rhode Island) Jerimoth Hill- 247m
  10. (Prince Edward Island) Springton Hill- 152m
  11. (Long Island) Jayne’s Hill- 122m
  12. (Plymouth) Sunrise Hill- 120m

When compiling the list I used some of the info and names from Our Fair Country. I also noticed that because Massachusetts Bay retained Western Maine, it meant that Mount Greylock was dethroned in favor of Sugarloaf. Because Acadia encompasses the rest of Maine and New Brunswick, poor Mount Carleton fails to make the list too this time around.

Last edited:
What do the LPP and DSU voter bases look like?
From the Discord, CosmicAsh basically said that DSU voters are people which favor the status quo: the bureaucrat in a comfortable job, the corrupt Union boss, the industrialists, the Native Americans who want to be left alone, the middle manager at Standard Oil who quite likes his work.

The LPP is everyone else: Leftists of all shades, radical right-wingers who are considered too volatile by the DSU, the unemployed factory worker, the struggling student, basically anyone who isn't happy about the way things are going.

I wonder how accents would develop in North American English Dialects here given the relative isolation of the United States and whatnot.

What are the United States borders like? I’m imagining they’re pretty heavily patrolled to keep people in and New English/Canadian/Mexican/etc influences out

PNWKing

Banned
What about these companies headquartered in New England IOTL?:
L.L Bean
Staples
Ocean Spray
Shaw's
Star Market
Market Basket
Sterlite
Welch's
Gillette

Will we see what the social media networks of this world look like? I'm really interested to see more of how this timeline's internet turned out.

I will see about doing something along these lines in the future, it is an interest of mine.

Does the US rely on cults of personality to maintain authoritarian rule? Who is revered? Hamilton perhaps?

Absolutely. The two most revered men are Alexander Hamilton, and the man who is credited with consolidating power in the Privy Council... Howard W. Smith. Chairman between 1943 and 1976, and the man who is credited with transforming the United States, and saving the country from the Long Depression. He had near unlimited power for several decades.

I assume that those in the urban areas of Connecticut aren't too happy about it.

Absolutely not. The cities have constantly brought forward lawsuits against the electoral laws, but both provincial and federal courts have refused to intervene, as no rights or laws are violated with the extant electoral system.

Connecticut desperately needs a new electoral system. It's more of a farce than a democracy.

At any rate, what's stopping a Labour-Liberal coalition from coming into power? Or for a Liberal confidence-and-supply arrangement for a Labour minority government?
this is my thought as well, only five Liberal MPs need to defect for Labour to take control. Unless the Conservatives greased their palms to not do so?

It is a lot easier to bribe, coerce, and intimidate several MPPs, overtly and clandestinely. There is a strong sense of "One musn't stray from the party line," and the entrenched political elite has the ability to make, or break, anything you do in the future. As a minor note, a majority in the Connecticut Legislative Assembly is 182 seats. 51 Liberals would need to defect to give a government (minority or majority) to Mushinsky. Maybe you could get 10 to go against the leadership, but never 51.

How many counties are in Connecticut anyway? Is there a map?

There are eight. I am afraid I do not have a map on hand, but an upcoming map should show them all.

Given how big TTL Canada is, I find it surprising that they wouldn't have a navy of their own.

While Canada only has a Coast Guard, no one said a Coast Guard cannot have aircraft carriers and "Coastal Groups" of several destroyers, submarines, and frigates. ;)

I suspect each dominion probably contributes to the Royal Navy, which is a joint force. Though they may each have a dedicated defensive force as well.

This is correct.

Connecticut (and New England as a whole) never had a ruling along the lines of Reynolds v. Sims I'm guessing.

Absolutely no such case. Ideas for reform have been raised both provincially and federally, and there is little to no appetite to change the prevailing legislation.

I just have a question, and @Goldwind2 would send me a note full of typos if I didn't get an answer: What happened to Samantha Smith ITTL?

I am afraid to say I have no answer on this at the moment :frown:

A broader question: when was the last time when the United States was considered a fully-functioning democracy?

Around the 1940s/1950s. The Long Depression is primarily seen as how American democracy collapsed.

Stumbled upon this! Its great! How did Finland become independent in this TL? :)

Thank you! Finland was granted independence by Sweden through mutual agreement.

What do the LPP and DSU voter bases look like?

The DSU's voter base are generally those who don't want to rock the boat at all, so to speak, and those who still support their policies of American exceptionalism and isolationism. There is a strong sentiment that the LPP, if allowed total power, would harm the American way of life, and open the country up to "foreign influences," and see the country descend into anarchy and division. DSU voters believe that a strong government, and a strong leader, is needed to ensure continuity and the continuation of the Constitution.

The LPP is everyone else.

I wonder how accents would develop in North American English Dialects here given the relative isolation of the United States and whatnot.

Without a doubt, they would be different. I've been doing some research on this subject (among other things, which is why there has been an absence of content as of late), and hope to eventually have an update to this effect.

What about these companies headquartered in New England IOTL?:
L.L Bean
Staples
Ocean Spray
Shaw's
Star Market
Market Basket
Sterlite
Welch's
Gillette
I wonder what happened to William Miller, Joseph Smith, and Ellen G. White ITTL?

I will absolutely have something on all of these companies and individuals in the future. If not exactly them, then an insight into what occupies their niche.

Absolutely. The two most revered men are Alexander Hamilton, and the man who is credited with consolidating power in the Privy Council... Howard W. Smith. Chairman between 1943 and 1976, and the man who is credited with transforming the United States, and saving the country from the Long Depression. He had near unlimited power for several decades.
Seeing as how Smith was one of the biggest advocates of Jim Crow IOTL, that explains a lot.
While Canada only has a Coast Guard, no one said a Coast Guard cannot have aircraft carriers and "Coastal Groups" of several destroyers, submarines, and frigates. ;)
Given Canada's size, resources, and population, I'd expect them to have a lot of influence in the Empire.

Also, what happened to William C. Durant? In Our Fair Country, you mentioned that he emigrated to the US and founded General Motors as IOTL. With These Fair Shores!US being a far less friendly place, I'd imagine that he'd either stay in New England or emigrate to Canada.

Last edited:
the man who is credited with consolidating power in the Privy Council... Howard W. Smith. Chairman between 1943 and 1976
Ah, so the US had a Franco? I'm very curious to see the trajectory the US was on before the depression and Smith's rule.

2020 Vermont general election
wHhVDVA.png