These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Unsure if this has been addressed elsewhere and I've just missed it, but whatever happened to The Ship of State? Those teaser graphics in the previous thread were absolutely gorgeous. Still in development? Sidelined? Subsumed and rolled into TFS?

Not complaining by any means of course - absolutely thrilled for this new TL. Just curious!

Europe in 1814: After the Congress of Frankfurt
CUVgKM9.png

Last edited:
Oh...

Oh my.

Oh myyy.

Still British Minorca. Presumably still Bonapartist France. Continuing Denmark-Norway, yet with a Prussian West Pomerania. Different partition of alt-Grand Duchy of Warsaw. Somehow surviving Kingdom of Italy. A Republic of Andorra.

Although, is there any reason why Algeria isn't considered an Ottoman vassal here?

So the Napoleonic wars end in a sort of settled minor loss for France? Now that's a change. Is it just a butterfly? If anything I would think NE being loyal to the crown still would only help the side of the Coalitions?

Just curious, the US flag has thirteen stripes. What are the thirteen original states, considering only nine of the OTL states eventually joined this TL's US???

Structure of the British Empire (2022)
PJAzbPN.png

Hello! I am still plugging along at the next large project (which I can now say, is a World Map!) In the meantime... I've created this handy flowchart for understanding the British Empire in These Fair Shores, and trust me when I say, something like this will come in handy when understanding future posts...

Last edited:
Wow! it seems like the British Empire has survived more or less intact in TTL. It even has Ireland! *cue IRA screaming*

Nice job on the diagram!

That flow chart is really nice.

Looking forwards to seeing the world map.

Soooooooo many hints. Looks like Britain yoinked Indonesia from the Netherlands ITTL.

Also, it looks as though there won't be a horrendously oppressive still Apartheid South Africa ITTL either. Or will there? There's no mention of an Orange Free State or Transvaal in that list.

Nice chart, and this structure seems super interesting! I think I understand what the Board of Trade does (vetos colonial parliaments), but what exactly is the Imperial Council governing? Does it only manage the Royal Army? Is it a federal structure where the Council can pass laws on just about anything that then applies to all colonies, dominions, and associated states? Or is the British Empire more of an EU-esque organization and the Council is their equivalent to the European Parliament?

bCcAYSq.png

Hello! I am still plugging along at the next large project (which I can now say, is a World Map!) In the meantime... I've created this handy flowchart for understanding the British Empire in These Fair Shores, and trust me when I say, something like this will come in handy when understanding future posts...
Phenomenal chart.

I do think there was a small mistake, with there being too many blue lines--do the Dominion parliaments appoint members to the UK Parliament and the Irish House of Commons?

Phenomenal chart.

I do think there was a small mistake, with there being too many blue lines--do the Dominion parliaments appoint members to the UK Parliament and the Irish House of Commons?
Check the direction. The thin light blue lines all converge onto a single arrowhead, which points at the House of Delegates.

I've created this handy flowchart for understanding the British Empire in These Fair Shores, and trust me when I say, something like this will come in handy when understanding future posts...
Very interesting!
Bermuda appears twice in the Colonies box, I think one of them is probably Bahamas or Jamaica as neither of those appear anywhere on the chart.

Constituent Country of Hong Kong
zA2AhuC.png

Here we have the Constituent Country of Hong Kong (also just known as Hong Kong to basically anyone who asks). Often considered the Empire's "Crown Jewel," there is no greater symbol of the British Empire than Hong Kong, the homeport of Britain's large Pacific Fleet, and the primary port of entry and departure for all goods entering into southern China. The Jia Dynasty has leaned heavily on Hong Kong's relative openness to facilitate trade and capital for projects inside the country, which has helped to fuel China's recent explosive economic growth. Both Hong Kong and China have seen staggeringly good economic prospects in the new millennia, with Hong Kong reversing its trend of young workers moving away to cities in the United Kingdom, such as Dublin, Manchester, or Birmingham. Immigration has increased significantly in recent years, with Javans and Sicilians taking up residence in the packed Kowloon City, where rents still manage to be reasonable. Shamchun, the largest city in Hong Kong, is the busiest container port in the country, and together with Kwai Tsing and Sha Tau, are the busiest not only in the Empire, but across the world.

The Hong Kong Parliament (香港議會) manages the affairs of the country, with 151 members directly elected using First Past the Post from single member districts which are drawn by the Boundary Commission after every UK-wide census. For nearly twenty years the Liberal Party has held a majority in Hong Kong, winning a supermajority in the 2003 Election. Since then, Hong Kong has had three Liberal First Ministers. Incumbent First Minister Leung Yiu-chung has served since 2017, and has since promised an ambitious project to increase ferry services from Edward Harbour to Sha Lo Wan and Lung Kwu Tan, in a bid to decrease the increasing rent prices in Greater Shamchun. Hong Kong Unionist Opposition Leader Gavin Williamson has often attacked the ferry project, instead insisting that a tunnel under Victoria Harbour to connect the high-speed rail networks of Kowloon and Hong Kong Island would be a better investment, which would better connect the capital, Victoria, with the rest of the country.

Hong Kong also sends eighty-nine MPs to the House of Commons, the largest of any country besides England. Twenty-six Lords from Hong Kong sit in the House of Lords. Hong Kong also has twenty-six members of the House of Delegates in the Imperial Council. As of the 2017 U.K. General Election, 49 Liberals, 24 Hong Kong Unionists, 9 Conservatives, and 7 Labour MPs were returned to the House of Commons. Since Hong Kong's inclusion in Westminster, Government policy has been far more focused on increasing the quality of life in Hong Kong, as well as carving out more exemptions for contributions to the British Isles Home Development Fund.

Bit of diversion for this weekend... Special thanks to @XFE, @HongCanucker, and everyone else on the Discord channel who helped me out on this map! Would *not* have been able to complete it without your help!!

Last edited: