These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

I think for me, the best way is to separate New York as New Netherlands if the Dutch had kept control of the colony. So, what's going on the Brooklyn? How would the New Englanders could see the New York and what does skyscrapers of Brooklyn would look like? Another N.Y. on the Brooklyn but I don't think New York Island is full of bedrock that allows skyscrapers to rise above the limits.

TTL's US-Newspeak makes me legitimately uncomfortable.
Me too. It's very creative and adds a great deal to the worldbuilding, but it gives the TL a very dystopian feeling. Words do have power, and the ugliness of TTL's American language acts as a powerful reminder of how bleak the USA is here. But again, this is meant as praise for unique worldbuilding, not criticism.

Me too. It's very creative and adds a great deal to the worldbuilding, but it gives the TL a very dystopian feeling. Words do have power, and the ugliness of TTL's American language acts as a powerful reminder of how bleak the USA is here. But again, this is meant as praise for unique worldbuilding, not criticism.
Actually, @CosmicAsh, two other points:

Whatever became of Andrew Cuomo (or, should I say, Andru Kwomo?) ITTL? Is he on the Privy Council? Does he rule New York State from Poughkeepsie (any particular reason you chose it for the capital, BTW?)

At approximately what point did the USA transition to American English?

@CosmicAsh, did the Standard American English diverge from Imperial British English through purging of such Anglo-Norman loanwords where Webster was actually born in New England instead of the United States?

Are there any varieties of American language? Due to low immigration sometimes, I don't think that the immigrant language loanwords wouldn't pass on to American English.

or, should I say, Andru Kwomo
Just a quick clarification: names of people and places are archaic, iirc. So Larry Hogan is still "Larry Hogan", and Cincinnati is still "Cincinnati." The words "Constitution", and "United States ov America" are also archaic. This only applies to the United States, however. So "United" taken out of the context "United States" is "Uenýted", and "States" is "Staits".

Why does "American" sound so much like f--ed up Dutch? This interests me because most of New Netherland looks like it would be in New England.
Manhattan at least is American, though you are right I’d guess the majority of the population of New Netherlands is in the current New England. So Dutch influences of New England English would make sense. Unless for some reason ITTL New Netherland was more westerly focused and actually settled the Delaware valley?
I think for me, the best way is to separate New York as New Netherlands if the Dutch had kept control of the colony. So, what's going on the Brooklyn? How would the New Englanders could see the New York and what does skyscrapers of Brooklyn would look like? Another N.Y. on the Brooklyn but I don't think New York Island is full of bedrock that allows skyscrapers to rise above the limits.
I think that the resemblance to Dutch is purely coincidental. Of course, depending on how far back the US/South Africa friendship goes, that may have some influence too.

I think ASE is just phonetic rather than Dutch/German influence or anything.
Yeah, it looks to me like ASE was simply meant as a break from the language conventions of the British, who in this timeline they loathe.

Can’t pretend we don’t speak the same language, but we can at least change all the spellings, dammit!

SuperZtar64

Banned
To be clear here, "American Simplified English" isn't the official name- that's the name a snobbish Brit on the internet would give it. It's normally just called "American."

To be clear here, "American Simplified English" isn't the official name- that's the name a snobbish Brit on the internet would give it. It's normally just called "American."
No, a snobby Brit would call it "American so-called English".

"American Simplified English" would be its official name in Britain and the Empire.

Out of all the proposals for English spelling reform, I like Simpel-Fonetik the most, as it was based on pre-existing, largely phonetic writing systems such as those of the Finnic and Polynesian languages.

139 Terrorists Ärrested: Tshäärman Hougan kools on ool Americans tu invouk their "Amerikan Spirit" in the Stragl ögenst Terrorism

Out of all the proposals for English spelling reform, I like Simpel-Fonetik the most, as it was based on pre-existing, largely phonetic writing systems such as those of the Finnic and Polynesian languages.

139 Terrorists Ärrested: Tshäärman Hougan kools on ool Americans tu invouk their "Amerikan Spirit" in the Stragl ögenst Terrorism
Thiis Fäär Shoors: The Komanwelth of Nuu Ingland

ew.