Chapter 45, July 1511
Palau Reial Major, Kingdom of Aragon, July 1511

Catalina gazed at the infant in her arms, who shared it’s mother’s red curls, and called out,”Is she not beautiful Germaine?”
Her stepmother smiled at this as she set her embroidery aside, yet answered slowly, as if she were troubled,”Yes she is Catalina…”
The older woman stroked her half-sister’s downy hair,”What is wrong? Does young Blanca not please you? You were much more excited in your letters to me last month.”
Germaine got up from her chair, walked over, and finally replied as she stood next to her stepdaughter,”I… Do not know. I guess that I am just concerned for her.”
Catalina rose her brow,”Why would you have any cause to be? She thrives, and she is an Infanta, fortunate to be born into this family.”
“Are you sure?”
Bewildered, she asked,”Whatever do you mean?”
Germaine stared out the window,”Your father will not live forever. He is in good health, but he is still old. When he dies, I will be little more than a decorative widow: Dowager Queen of the man who the people of Castile barely tolerated during your mother’s reign.”
Catalina shook her head at this, and transferred little Blanca into the arms of the infant’s mother,”Do not worry Germaine. I rule Castile, and should, God forbid, my father pass before my nephew comes of age, I shall govern Aragon in his stead as well. I will ensure that you are always treated with the respect that a Queen is afforded, and my dear sister will grow up in your care, as is only natural.”
Germaine smiled slightly at this, nodding her head,”Thank you Catalina, you have done me a great kindness.”

Great update! Good to know Germaine’s pregnancy went better than the last one! Hopefully things go okay for Blanca and Germaine!

Aww...how nice to see that catalina and germaine have such a good relationship. and that catalina will let germaine raise her daughter, no matter what.
Thank you very much! I rather large part of it is that Catalina feels sympathy for Germaine's situation and also cares deeply for her half sister. Of course she also wants to ensure that Germaine is cooperative when it's time to pick a husband for Blanca...

Aww Catalina and Germaine's relationship is so sweet especially compared to some othersin this time period
Definitely, we have too many tales of people and their stepchildren hating each other from this time so I figured that it would mix it up in several cases. Though, Catalina and Germaine are probably closer to sisters than anything else (Germaine is actually a year younger than her), she will make sure that they are well provided for. Thank you so very much!

Last edited:
Nice to see Catalina being so supportive of Germaine and little Blanca.
I wasn't really sure of the relationship between Germaine and her stepchildren IOTL, though she would have only met Juana, so I believe Catalina would get along well with her, and she dotes on her little sister. Thank you very much!

Great update! Good to know Germaine’s pregnancy went better than the last one! Hopefully things go okay for Blanca and Germaine!
Thank you so much! I thought I'd give Germaine some much needed good luck and give her a living child. It will be her last one though, as her birth made Germaine infertile... Things will go fairly well for them, they are both close with, and happen to be useful to Catalina...

Thank you so much! I thought I'd give Germaine some much needed good luck and give her a living child. It will be her last one though, as her birth made Germaine infertile... Things will go fairly well for them, they are both close with, and happen to be useful to Catalina...
You’re welcome! Poor Germaine she deserved more children. At least she has one I guess. Can’t wait for the next update!

Chapter 46, September 1511
Hertford Castle, Kingdom of England, September 1511

Giovanna heaved a sigh, throwing the handkerchief on the table in frustration Ruined, just like everything else. She got up from her chair, not even bothering to salvage the garment. Tears streaming down her face, Giovanna left the room. Plopping herself upon a daybed by the window in the hallway, she rubbed her eyes furiously. Her lady Antonia rushed out,”Your majesty!”
The woman waved her dear lady away,”Please, do not concern yourself with me. I wish to be left alone.”
Dismayed, the younger woman walked back into the chamber and asked for someone else to attend to Giovanna. Hearing the swift footsteps, Giovanna was not surprised to turn and be faced with her mother. The Dowager Queen Joanna placed a hand on her daughter’s shoulder,”Do not torment yourself so my child. It has been nearly half a year since your husband has passed, surely you can find some way to enjoy yourself.”
Giovanna shook her head and sobbed,”I don’t see how I can. My dear Henry, the father of my children is gone.”
“Yes, but think of what he has done for you, even in death. You have a fine home in the country, away from the intrigues of court, and his obstinate son who ruts with that French whore. Catherine, Joanna, and Charles are all in your care, away from those who may seek to use them for their own goals.”
“Their father is still dead! How am I to be of any use to them when they do not have him.”
Her mother narrowed her eyes, speaking in a cutting tone,”By tending to them! I did not know that I raised a weak fool. What do you suppose I did when your father died? Cried all the time?”
Giovanna sniffled,”I suppose not.”
“Exactly, now let us go see young Joanna. Lady Pole says that she does well with her French lessons.”
She hesitated, until her mother beckoned her,”Come now daughter, I am sure that this will help you through your grief.”
Though still unsure Giovanna got up and nodded, ever the filial daughter,”Of course mother.”

Last edited:
Poor Giovanna, at least she has her two children, step daughter and Mother to keep her company. I imagine Henry's not being the best of friends with her.

Poor Giovanna, at least she has her two children, step daughter and Mother to keep her company. I imagine Henry's not being the best of friends with her.
Indeed she does, and she loves them all dearly. Henry is actually treating her well enough, but Giovanna now prefers the peace of her estate to the royal court. Thank you so much!

Indeed she does, and she loves them all dearly. Henry is actually treating her well enough, but Giovanna now prefers the peace of her estate to the royal court. Thank you so much!
I see, seems reasonable for Giovanna to want to be away from court. Would've thought Henry would slightly dislike Giovanna.