Despite Denmark being an elective kingdom, the Norwegian throne followed the rules of primogeniture. So, if the Danish nobility wanted to keep Norway they had to elect Christian II as his father’s heir. At worst, Mary would Eventually only become queen of Norway, and most likely she would eventually be queen of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Henry likely knows this, so therefore Christian would be a fine match in his eyes.

Despite Denmark being an elective kingdom, the Norwegian throne followed the rules of primogeniture. So, if the Danish nobility wanted to keep Norway they had to elect Christian II as his father’s heir. At worst, Mary would Eventually only become queen of Norway, and most likely she would eventually be queen of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Henry likely knows this, so therefore Christian would be a fine match in his eyes.
True, in any case, butterflies may mean that Christian II ascends to the throne a little earlier than IOTL. Thank you very much!

But why marry Catherine to a Duke when he could marry her to a King (Ferdinand of Spain, who if I recall correctly is not betrothed to anyone)
A match with the Duke of Burgundy is actually more prestigious than a match with certain kings, given the immense wealth and trading power of the Low Countries. Also, Ferdinand is already betrothed to Isabella of Portugal and has been for a number of years.
Said Duke is also the undisputed heir of Austria and would be a very important ruler in the Holy Roman Empire in the improbable case who he would lose the Imperial Crown.

Chapter 34, March 1510
Greenwich Palace, Kingdom of England, March 1510

The nursery in the palace was as lively as ever. Of course it was only natural, the Lady Joanna toddled around the room, irate at the absence of one of her dearest friends,”I want Mary! I want her now!”
The girl’s grandmother and namesake huffed,”Stop it Joanna! You will wake your brother!”
The younger Joanna stomped her foot defiantly, scowling,”I no care! I want Mary!”
The Duke of Somerset, in his cradle suddenly woke with a shrill cry. The Queen’s mother glared at her granddaughter,”You’ve done it now! Thanks to you your little brother is upset.”
Tears formed in the girl’s eyes, and her grandmother turned on her heels, ready to leave the room. Her own daughter stopped her with a frown on her face,”Mother, was that truly necessary?”
“Yes, it was. Say what you will of your father, but he made sure his children behaved. Joanna is the daughter of the King of England; it is time that she acts like it”
Giovanna replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm.“I am sorry that my husband does not beat his young children and stuff those he perceives as enemies.”
The older woman grunted and brushed past her daughter, walking out the door. Left to deal with the aftermath of her mother’s temper, Giovanna first approached her daughter, who was whining about her grandmother. She scooped the little girl up and stroked her hair,”There, there. Your grandmama is just ill-tempered today.”
Joanna whipped a tear from her cheek, and sniffled,”Alright mama. I sorry.”
Giovanna set her daughter back onto the floor, as the attendants managed to calm her son down,”I understand that you are upset. Mary is a bit sick, she just has a slight chill, so she is staying in her mother’s rooms… We would not want you or little Charles to get sick would we?”
The toddler slowly shook her head,”No that would be bad.”
The girl’s mother smiled a little,”But we have a surprise for you…”
A smile made its way across Joanna’s face,”Really… What is it?”
The door opened, as a middle-aged man, and his young daughter, both of whom with dark hair, entered the room, both bowing politely, and Giovanna smiled,”Viscount Rochford, I am glad that you bring young Anne to comfort my Joanna.” (1)
“But of course, your majesty, we Boleyns are always happy to serve the King and his family.”
The little girl, just a couple of years older than Joanna walked up to her, and smiled,”I am glad to meet you, Lady Joanna. I am sorry that my sister could not be here, but I hope we can be friends too.”
Joanna grinned at this,”Yes… Can I call you Annie?”
Anne nodded her head,”Of course you can. I will also let you know when my sister gets better.”
“Thank you Annie.”
Giovanna was very pleased by this, and moved to her son’s crib, and picked up the calmed baby. Her son giggled happily as she picked him up, which made her feel warm inside, as only a mother could. She brought him down to where Anne and Joanna were playing with several small dolls. Anne, who had yet to meet the young Duke of Somerset, was overjoyed when little Charles smiled at her. The little girl giggled for a moment,”He is a handsome little Prince, my Queen.”
At this Giovanna wistfully thought to herself, Perhaps Anne will also be a friend to Charles as he grows older.

(1) His family is granted the title early, a sign of the favor with which Giovanna regards his wife Elizabeth Howard

Last edited:
Ooh, the Boleyns have entered stage right, I see! Excellent. Also, Joanna is adorable... If a little demanding. I could totally see a toddler acting like that! Well done.

Ooh, the Boleyns have entered stage right, I see! Excellent. Also, Joanna is adorable... If a little demanding. I could totally see a toddler acting like that! Well done.
Yes they certainly have, and their path to prominence begins a bit earlier... Joanna is a bit demanding, but we'll have to see how she develops as she grows older... Thank you so much for your praise, I am glad that I made her seem like a real toddler...

Chapter 35, April 1510
Granada, Kingdom of Castile, April 1510

The sun beat down upon her, yet Catalina was comfortable, for the spring was temperate so far, ironic given what she was about to be a part of. More specifically, she, in the outskirts of the city, so as not to offend the Moriscos, was about to order the fighting men of Castile to once more wage war against the Infidel. Wearing a silk gown, of red and gold, the colors of the Castilian flag, and a side-sword in her hand, Catalina knew that the spectacle of this moment could shape the war itself. As she gazed upon the multitude of soldiers before her she took a deep breath. Then, she raised her sword to the air, feeling the leather on the hilt against her hand. Catalina fervently cried out,”Brave and virtuous men of Castile, I call you here today to continue our struggle against the Moor. The Infidel once more threatens our prosperity, our homes, and our very lives with their raids. We will put a stop to this, I will not permit them to see the ocean again! You will crush them on the battlefield, and for each one you slay, one of your worst sins shall be forgiven. Their cities and towns will be put to siege… You will slaughter their cattle, burn their food, and ruin their wells, you will not cease until the starving come begging for their lives. Do this, and do not stop until Tripoli falls and the gospel of the Lord is heard there. When you succeed you will all be forever known as Castile’s most beloved heroes!” She paused for a moment and then concluded with a final cry,”For God and Castilla!”
The men themselves started to repeat this, and this chant would be heard throughout the narrow streets of Granada. Thus, the men of Castile once more made ready for war, one that their Regent was determined to win...

Last edited:
In real life Catherine was no Joan of Arc. But she inherited her mother's talents for being a moral support, quartermaster, and logistics commander. I can't see her on the frontline with a sword in hand, but riding with the troops and overseeing everything. She demonstrated that aptly with Flodden.

Great chapter! Is Catalina leading the army or is this just a speech to inspire them?
Thank you so much... She's just inspiring them, she was willing to actually lead them during the Moorish uprising a few years ago ITTL but leaving for North African would be too risky, there'd have to be a regent for the regent...

In real life Catherine was no Joan of Arc. But she inherited her mother's talents for being a moral support, quartermaster, and logistics commander. I can't see her on the frontline with a sword in hand, but riding with the troops and overseeing everything. She demonstrated that aptly with Flodden.
Very true, here she was inspiring them before they departed for North Africa... I had her lead men and fight against the Moorish uprising a few year prior in the TL because it was less risky, and it was actually in Castile (not to mention she wasn't pregnant like at Flodden)... She'll oversee the North African campaign from a safe distance and, as you say, essentially being the army's quartermaster... Thank you so much!

Thank you so much... She's just inspiring them, she was willing to actually lead them during the Moorish uprising a few years ago ITTL but leaving for North African would be too risky, there'd have to be a regent for the regent...
Okay, would’ve been interesting she led it though. Can’t wait for the next update!

Chapter 36, May 1510
The Alhambra, Kingdom of Castile, May 1510

Catalina sat in her study, quill in hand as she planned the more practical aspects of the North African campaign. Firstly, she had already established would not lead the men, instead she would delegate the task to Diego Fernández de Córdoba, with Cardinal Cisneros to play a role in heightening the morale of the men through prayer. What she was addressing in this letter is the treatment of the populace of the captured settlements. By the time she was finished the letter stated,” Once the Infidels surrender, several churches are to be built in the conquered cities, they must be higher than their mosques, to prove our dominance over them. Anyone who defaces these churches or the holy icons within them are to be expelled with only what they can carry. Those Mohammedans that remain will have the status of Mudéjares, allowed the privilege of living so long as they obey the King’s will. They will also be free to live by their own laws and customs, but they cannot employ a Christian in any menial tasks and must wear a crescent badge displaying their status as infidels. The Mudéjares must pay a tax on their wealth to the crown, for the privilege of their protection. Failure to do so could result in expulsion. Any Christian that converts to Islam, and any Morisco that does the same will be deemed Apostates and will be burnt at the stake for their sins. The Mudéjares, on pain of death, must allow our troops to be billeted in their towns, and any rebellion will carry the same punishment.” (1)
-Catalina of Aragon, Princess Regent of Castile.

(1) Essentially Catalina holds a middle ground regarding the treatment of the Muslims in North Africa. She, thanks to her personality, will not allow them the same rights as Christians, yet, she also realizes that if she were to expel all of them, North Africa would be practically empty and useless.