Good choice Eleanor, once you give Henry a legitimate son and heir it won’t matter what other women warm his bed because you will always come first.
Oh she still won't be happy, and may still not tolerate him and Mary, but she's determined to win her back (and solidify her position) by having a living son this time around. Thank you so very much!

Jasper is a good name. Like that.

I like how Eleanor went to Henry too.
Thank you, I'm glad that you liked it! Jasper I admittedly did for something unique, but it worked out nicely. As for Eleanor going to Henry, it was (sort.of) an act of desperation to get his attention back.

Chapter 76, November 1515
Hertford Castle, Kingdom of England, November 1515

The two of them rode through the field, keeping a steady, if deliberate pace. Giovanna laughed sardonically with the arrival of the misty drizzle,”Ah Anthony an outing would not be complete without this lovely English weather.”

The young man smirks as he slows his horse to a trot,”Well this was your idea my love.”

She rolls her eyes,”That may be true, let it be known that wisdom is not one of my many virtues.”

The pair share more laughter as they continue, and Giovanna turns to him with a more serious look on her face,”Have you heard the latest news from court dear?”

Anthony Wingfield spluttered out a chuckle,”Did you not say a moment ago that you detest gossip?”

“Perhaps, but only if it involves me, or is malicious.”

She urged her horse forward, making him wait for a moment, until he, impatient blurted,”Well what is it then? Do you mean to wait until those involved are dead and buried to tell?’

“It is the Queen.”

“Oh, did she try to slap you again Giovanna?”

The Dowager smiled and shook her head,”No I believe that she has learned her lesson from the last time. Although she never apologized, and nor do I expect her to given her pride, Eleanor’s Oberhofmeisterin Johanne said that she no longer refers to me as an ‘old bitch’.”

“Her Ober- what?” Anthony exclaimed

“It’s some unnecessarily long title from Austria, essentially her chief lady.”

Wingfield then asked,”Does Johanne write anything else of note?”

“Yes actually. Just last week she wrote that the Queen is almost certainly with child again, for she has not bled this month.”
“Good, good, and when she births another son I hope Henry is more discreet.”
She thought it unlikely, but Giovanna smiled slightly,”One would hope.”

After awhile longer of this, Giovanna and Anthony decided to turn back to the castle, having had enough of riding in the rain. Breathing into her hands, the Dowager sighed in relief,”I am glad that we are nearly back, I am chilled.”

Her lover winked at her,”Perhaps when we are back in your chambers I can warm you.”

Giovanna blushed,”Oh I certainly look forward to doing so Anthony.”

Yay Eleanor’s pregnant again! And again I’m so glad that Giovanna has Anthony
Indeed she is, and hopefully this time it's a living son. Giovanna and Anthony are very happy together as they provide amicable companionship (among other things 😉) to one another, even if they can't quite be open about it. Thank you so very much!

Let’s hope Henry does not stray this pregnancy, unless the mistress is Eleanor approved!

Also wishing for an easy pregnancy and healthy babe.

Let’s hope Henry does not stray this pregnancy, unless the mistress is Eleanor approved!

Also wishing for an easy pregnancy and healthy babe.
Well Henry will be Henry, but this time it may play out differently... This pregnancy may not be quite as difficult too. Thank you so much!

Chapter 77, December 1515
Alcázar of Toledo, Kingdom of Castile, December 1515

Catalina of Aragon, Regent of Castile smiled at the friar as he entered the library,”You have come quite a long way from the Indies Friar de Las Casas.”

“Maybe I have Infanta, but for something of such import I would travel across the world.”

The woman rose an eyebrow, drifting a finger over a map of the known world, and pointing to a large island drawn upon it,”I suppose that it concerns the New World, I have been informed that you took part in the civilizing of Cuba.”
“Si Infanta, but what I have seen there can hardly be called civilizing.”
“And why is that?”

She urges him to the cushioned chair across from where she sits,”Pray, please tell me what our subjects have done there, and if it is not conformable to my will.”

Bartolomé de Las Casas paled, and he described in vividity the horrors that have occurred,”The men who have taken part in the conquest of Cuba, and many other places, have behaved in a most unchristian manner milady. Villages have been devastated; the men maimed, women raped and even, I am ashamed to say, innocent little children beaten to death. Those in charge have proven themselves unworthy of the trust that the crown has placed in them, they would rather abuse the Indios than convert them to the Faith.”

Catalina shook her head,”This is unacceptable, my mother would not stand for it and neither shall I.”

“So you would follow the suggestions that I have written before I arrived here in court Infanta?”
“Mostly yes. The Encomienda cannot be abolished, it is too important to the order of the colonies. But we can regulate it as you have hinted. First and foremost, I will give the Christian Indios more say in how to organize themselves. They shall still have to work to recoup the costs of their care, but I would have the responsibilities be collective, and not too unreasonable. Second, perhaps we can give priests permission to preach to those people in their own language, they must not, after all, be unfamiliar with the teachings of the Lord.”
“Very wise milady, you have proven yourself to be a most just and holy woman, and I fear what would have happened to Castile and her domains had you not been governing them.”

“Of course, it is my duty to rule well here, and what you suggested is much needed, those Indios we are converting most be protected. Now, if men such as Narváez flout my orders deliberately, then they shall hang, when you return to the Indies I want you to make that absolutely clear.”

Last edited:
Indeed, she is very much her mother's daughter in that regard. While this may not stop all of the abuses against the Natives, it may at least mitigate them a little. Thank you so very much!
You’re welcome! Also I found the part about preaching in native languages interesting, did that happen IOTL?