Aw, nice to see Eleanor having secured her place as England’s Queen. Hopefully herself and Henry make up over the whole Stafford scandal soon!

Great chapter and poor Eleanor. Well at least she had a boy and Henry is willing to make her happy so… Still stress, jealousy, broken heart and a very advanced pregnancy are a bad mix and I fully support Giovanna‘s visit to her cousin and step-daughter-in-law
Eleanor certainly wasn't happy with her husband at first, though at least with a son she has proven herself able to have one, and so Henry is willing to be a bit more conciliatory than usual... Giovanna will indeed visit her soon, and hopefully this will help Eleanor continue to calm down a little. Thank you so very much!

Eleanor’s done it! A Prince of Wales has been born! Also, with all the pregnancy hormones, her ladies might be able to forgive her actions during the last months more easily :)

Eleanor’s done it! A Prince of Wales has been born! Also, with all the pregnancy hormones, her ladies might be able to forgive her actions during the last months more easily :)
She certainly has done it (though technically he's Duke of Cornwall) so everyone is happy that she proved to be worth some of the (understandable) drama that she's had. Yeah for the most part her ladies are forgiving, Doortje especially as she understands the pressure Eleanor was under... Thank you so much!

Congratz to Queen Eleanor for a healthy child, and Congratz Henry for finally getting a son.

Best wishes to the babe, and hope you grow strong.

Congratz to Queen Eleanor for a healthy child, and Congratz Henry for finally getting a son.

Hope he stays alive too. There was an otl Prince Henry of Cornwall too. But he died just a few months after his birth.

I want this Prince Henry to stay with us...

Hope he stays alive too. There was an otl Prince Henry of Cornwall too. But he died just a few months after his birth.

I want this Prince Henry to stay with us...
Well, it's a good job it's not me writing this, then. I have never written a surviving Prince Henry, not in any story...

Fantastic chapter, @Awkwardvulture - it's nice to see the child bringing Henry and Eleanor back together :)

They send their warmest thanks, though technically this is Henry's second son, but the first one to be legitimate, as John Fitzroy was born before Henry and Eleanor were married. Thank you very much for your input!

Chapter 69, April 1514
Richmond Palace, Kingdom of England, April 1514

There was, as always, a great spectacle at Richmond Palace. The birth of a Duke of Cornwall only furthered such pomp, and so Giovanna had to be there. It wasn’t just obligation though, the Dowager Queen was very happy for her stepson and his wife, especially as the two had reconciled now that Henry had set aside Anne Stafford as his mistress. Giovanna was also pleased for another reason, as the birth of a son and a heir to young Henry is something that his late father would no doubt be proud of. Godparents of course were already selected, and Giovanna herself was not among them. She was not offended by this, for the Dowager Queen recognized that the choice of sponsors for her stepson’s heir was important for diplomatic reasons, and of course she was already godmother of his eldest, albeit illegitimate son. Speaking of the little Duke of Richmond, Giovanna had taken a keen interest in the boy’s upbringing and had occasionally visited him at Grimsthorpe Castle, where he resided with his mother and stepfather, something which Henry had arranged to ensure that his bastard’s presence would not upset Queen Eleanor. Despite this he did give the boy a fine pension in addition to the income from his lands and the Lady Pole as his governess.

Once the ceremony had ended, Giovanna decided that she should pay the younger Henry a visit. Entering the nursery, she found that the young Queen was already there, smiling as she held her son in her arms. Margaret Bryan, the Lady Governess was also in the room, telling Eleanor of the infant’s health,”He is well so far, though when he is hungry he certainly lets us know.”

Eleanor chuckled at this,”Much like his father.”

A slight smile tugged at the Lady Bryan’s lips, and Giovanna could tell that while she did not want to show it, Margaret enjoyed Eleanor’s little joke. Walking towards the chair where Eleanor sat, Giovanna said,”I trust that you and your son are well my Queen?”

“Yes, of course we are, I thank you for your concern.”

Eleanor then turned to Margaret Bryan,”I believe that the Dowager Queen and I would like to speak alone, you may leave us for now.”

Margaret bowed,”Very well your majesty.”

As the other woman left the room, Giovanna gestured towards little Henry, who cooed at her in curiosity,”Can I hold him for a moment?”
Eleanor of Austria nodded, and carefully passed her precious boy into Giovanna’s arms. The babe was most interested in the woman, new that she was, and Giovanna’s fears that the boy would be scared by the introduction of yet another face were abated. The child was so comfortable in fact, that he dozed as his head was laid against her chest. The woman laughed softly,”I see he likes the cushions that I provide him.”

“So, it would seem.”

She looked down upon the child’s brown curls and blue eyes, the spitting image of both of his parents,”He is a beautiful baby Eleanor, and I trust that he will be a great King one day.”

The teen nodded at this,”I must confess that I am surprised to hear you say such things, after all his birth means that his young uncle is no longer my husband’s heir.”
Giovanna answered this with a shake of her head,”No, quite the opposite in fact. I do not wish for Charles to have to be King one day. All that I wish for him is that perhaps one day he will be one of the foremost lords of the realm, and, excepting the other children that you may have, the King’s chief supporter.”

“I see, and I am grateful for your candor, I will make sure that my son and Charles grow up as friends so that both this family and England are stronger.”

“But of course Eleanor, I am honored that you would deem us worthy of your esteem, and I hope to help you in the future should you need it.”

Nice to see Giovanni and Eleanor getting along, maybe they could be Co-Regents when Henry leaves England again? Excellent update!

Nice piece with Eleanor and Giovanna there. It is Good that they get along.

How are the various Kingdoms reacting to the news of the birth please?

Nice to see Giovanni and Eleanor getting along, maybe they could be Co-Regents when Henry leaves England again? Excellent update!
They certainly do get along well, though if Henry does have to leave again he'll likely leave Eleanor in charge once she's old enough. Thank you very much!

Nice piece with Eleanor and Giovanna there. It is Good that they get along.

How are the various Kingdoms reacting to the news of the birth please?
Thank you, I'm glad that you liked it!

I'd say that that the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian as well as his grandsons the Duke of Burgundy and the King of Castile would no doubt be pleased, as it puts England solidly within the Habsburg camp. I doubt that the French would be exactly pleased, as stronger ties between England and it's allies would be detrimental to them. As for the Scots, they probably come out as the biggest losers in such a situation, as it pushes the (albeit tenuous) claim that Margaret and her children have on England further behind.

Last edited: