Poor Maria, hopefully she is able to have more children. Odd to see Catherine go against Cannon Law, but then again 9 years of her life have gone completely differently. Great update!

Poor Maria, hopefully she is able to have more children. Odd to see Catherine go against Cannon Law, but then again 9 years of her life have gone completely differently. Great update!
She may be able to at some point, and ar least she's likely to survive. Yeah I can see that, but she's willing to do it for her closest friend. Thank you!

Well, Maria Salinas was very much ride-or die for Catherine from start to finish otl, so it's no surprise that Catherine bent the rule for her in this instance.

Besides she rules Castile like a boss so who's gonna oppose her in a tiny little trival matter like this.

Well, Maria Salinas was very much ride-or die for Catherine from start to finish otl, so it's no surprise that Catherine bent the rule for her in this instance.

Besides she rules Castile like a boss so who's gonna oppose her in a tiny little trival matter like this.
Very much so, they've been best friends (almost like sisters) for nearly their entire lives, and while Catalina is always the most pious (or rather second most when Isabella jr was alive) daughter of the Catholic Monarchs, like them she's willing use the church for her own purposes. Yes that's true, the friar was only going to put up token resistance (given that he likely had to deal with her mother's anger before). Thank you so very much!

Chapter 60, September 1513
Lincoln, Kingdom of England, September 1513

The air was musty, and the wind ruffled up against the canvas of the tent. Giovanna had not led the army of course; she had no knowledge of such things and unlike her cousin the Regent of Castile thought it men’s work. Still, she had raised the funds needed to fight off the Scots and saw to it that the old Earl of Surrey and his son, the younger Thomas Howard, among others would command the men. To her right was Elizabeth Howard, who put a soothing hand on her friend’s shoulder. Thoughts bounced around wildly in her head, mostly dread at all those who would die during the battle. How is she so calm? Her father and brother both risk their lives, while I have little to lose at all. Fortunately, her nervousness would soon be abated, for the sounds of horse’s hooves entered her ears. As the young man, in truth a boy clambered down from the brown mare, Giovanna placed a hand to her chest, heart racing. The teen flourished a bow, and grinned widly,”Madam, the Scots have been defeated at Flodden Field. Thousands of them, including their King James have been slain.”

She felt equally relieved and horrified, yet her body only reacted to the former, she fell to her knees and vomited, Joanna’s godfather, and poor Margaret’s husband dead?. As the hot bile burned her throat, the young courier helped Giovanna back on her feet, and asked,”Are you unwell milday? I hear that the Queen herself has taken ill.”

Though it hurt her throat to do so, she chuckled at this and shook her head,”No, I think his majesty would be most vexed if I were ill for the same reason as his wife.”

The boy smirked slightly, but continued,”His lordship the Earl of Surrey wishes to know what it you want to do with the King of Scots body?”

Giovanna held her head high and pursed her lips, trying to sound cool about this, even if the matter upset her deeply,”His body, as well as all the others of the Scots noblemen are to be treated with respect and sent back to Scotland where they belong.”

“Of course, milady.”

While the courier once more rode off, the Dowager Queen of England was left uneasy, but turned to her friend,”I suppose that I must write to the King of your father’s great victory over the Scots. I trust that with my recommendation you will see your family’s duchy restored.”

Ooo so the scots have suffered their big military defeat and king james is dead...i wonder what will happen to margaret! what surviving children does she have?

Ooo so the scots have suffered their big military defeat and king james is dead...i wonder what will happen to margaret! what surviving children does she have?
I'm not sure what will happen to Margaret here... If she still has her impulsive tendencies she may find herself looked down upon by her brother, but, she may have someone to advocate for her in England... Margaret's surviving children are the same as IOTL sadly, but we'll have to see where her son marries here.... Thank you so much!

Nice update.

Perhaps the English should push into Scotland now? Claim some of the lowlands as a buffer zone against raiding, maybe install a puppet King if they do not claim the country for England.

The mine reason kings of England never successfully conquered Scotland until Oliver Cromwell was that there priorities was always France and the ancestral lands of the Normans and Plantagenets.

Nice update.

Perhaps the English should push into Scotland now? Claim some of the lowlands as a buffer zone against raiding, maybe install a puppet King if they do not claim the country for England.
Thank you! Unfortunately I don't think they can really do those things, as they don't exactly have much of a claim on Scotland (and the new King is Henry's nephew), nor do they have the ability to enforce one if they did, since they are at war with France. Still, we'll see how things in Scotland unfold..

Last edited:
The mine reason kings of England never successfully conquered Scotland until Oliver Cromwell was that there priorities was always France and the ancestral lands of the Normans and Plantagenets.
This is true, and it also helps that at the moment the King of Scots is Henry VIII's nephew.. Thank you very much!

This is true, and it also helps that at the moment the King of Scots is Henry VIII's nephew.. Thank you very much!
If I remember correctly Henry VIII contributed to his nephew's death and he tried to force a betrothal between Mary Queen of Scots and and the future Edward VI of England. Also families do not tend to be that close there relationships tend to be strongest with their female relatives and guardians. Also let's not forget the king of England have being trying to bring Scotland to heel since the rule of Edward the elder and his son athelstan the first king of the English. If it was not for the Normans and ethelred the unready than the British isles history would be very different.

If I remember correctly Henry VIII contributed to his nephew's death and he tried to force a betrothal between Mary Queen of Scots and and the future Edward VI of England. Also families do not tend to be that close there relationships tend to be strongest with their female relatives and guardians. Also let's not forget the king of England have being trying to bring Scotland to heel since the rule of Edward the elder and his son athelstan the first king of the English. If it was not for the Normans and ethelred the unready than the British isles history would be very different.
That's correct, but at the moment Henry's nephew is just a child, and they may not have as many future disagreements here. In any case even if England wanted to, they simply could not invade Scotland, given that their forces are tied up fighting the French. Also, Henry VIII dosen't exactly have much of a familial claim to Scotland, so he'd be hard pressed to convince the noblity of Scotland that he should be king.

It nothing to do with he should be king it's right of conquest and replacing the nobility it worked in England and Wales. Edward I of England failed for many reason as such as; Richard the Lionheart selling the homage back to William the lion, Edward I of England was fighting France, Wales and Scotland and at the same time, Auld Alliance ment that the only way King of England could conquer Scotland is by defeating the French, Edward I his not have the money after conquering Wales and the wars with France. But with all that stated Henry VIII it know conqueror or mighty monarch he is destined to be unremembered.

It nothing to do with he should be king it's right of conquest and replacing the nobility it worked in England and Wales. Edward I of England failed for many reason as such as; Richard the Lionheart selling the homage back to William the lion, Edward I of England was fighting France, Wales and Scotland and at the same time, Auld Alliance ment that the only way King of England could conquer Scotland is by defeating the French, Edward I his not have the money after conquering Wales and the wars with France. But with all that stated Henry VIII it know conqueror or mighty monarch he is destined to be unremembered.
It may have worked in England and Wales but Scotland is different. Also, while the right of conquest helps, it is not everything. There's a reason after all, that say Portugal only ever became a part of the Iberian union because of dynastic links, not conquest itself. Besides, Henry VIII won't have to conquer whole kingdoms to be remembered, though there is nothing to say that he won't be successful elsewhere.