150 years?

Seems you like your 'slavery' there Mr King. Guess its only to be expected.

Nice that Catalina's previous actions have done well. Long life to you Pablo.
Yeah, it's not ideal, but Ferdinand would rather not alienate the conquistadores too much. Still, he's trying to regulate it, though, for reasons of time and size of the Empire, it probably won't be all that effective. And yes, Pablo has done pretty well for himself!

Good chapter, De Las Casas may not have managed to finish the encomienda but if he manages to stay close to Ferdinand he can probably improve the treatment of the natives and convince Ferdinand to open the new world to non-Castilians, at least allow them to settle in regions that are initially unattractive to Castilians.

If the Iberians are lucky, the crowns of Spain and Portugal will not rest on the same head in the coming centuries.

Good chapter, De Las Casas may not have managed to finish the encomienda but if he manages to stay close to Ferdinand he can probably improve the treatment of the natives and convince Ferdinand to open the new world to non-Castilians, at least allow them to settle in regions that are initially unattractive to Castilians.

If the Iberians are lucky, the crowns of Spain and Portugal will not rest on the same head in the coming centuries.
Thank you so much, happy you liked it! Oh, I think that is quite likely, after all, though he was first King of Castile, Ferdinand was largely raised by his aunt and namesake grandfather. Ferdinand is quite interested in the New World and the welfare of the natives, but there's unfortunately not a lot he can do to effectively help them, though it's better than nothing.

We can only hope that they will not...

Chapter 180, October 1532
Greenwich Palace, Kingdom of England, October 1532

Eleanor sunk into her chair with a satisfied sigh. Henry had paid her a visit earlier and she had just gotten out of the bath. Johanne had finished reading one of her letters from Charles to her. The Emperor’s newest daughter, Margaret, apparently was healthy enough, and Eleanor knew that her sister-in-law Catherine would see to it that the girl was brought up well. Eleanor, for her part, had been happy enough over the course of the past few months. Nothing particularly exciting had happened, though Eleanor supposed that wasn’t such a bad thing. Peace after all meant that her husband’s coffers, and thus her own had plenty of funds. Except for the regular expenses, bribes for certain people, and gifts for the children (when they were behaved) she seldom spent much. The Queen of England was perfectly content to sit on her hoard like one of those legendary dragons of old. Or her grandfather. Though she had never met him, the Queen of England had heard that she was rather like Ferdinand of Aragon. He was practical… cunning. Those same things that allowed him to subdue Spain’s neighbors had helped her secure her own position. Eleanor supposed it was good that she was like him, and not weak like her mother. If Henry died, she would stay strong and teach him the true ways of the world. Of course, it wasn’t likely, but the woman was determined to prepare for any possibility. She would not be caught off guard, she would not hesitate to do what must be done.

Regardless, at the moment there wasn’t exactly much going on, save for the fact that she had received a letter from her daughter in Scotland. The Queen had yet to read it, however. It was not that she didn’t care, she was simply worried that it might be bad news, though in prior letters Mary had assured her that she was alright. Things could change, however, so it had remained unread, on an end table near her bed. Eleanor had spent all day preparing herself to read the letter, distracting herself really. So, she’d thought of everything else, and even still did so well into the afternoon. One of the things she thought of was some matrimonial news.

Jacoliene van Honing finally had a husband in the form of the widower Thomas Cromwell. It was a good match, the two had become friends during Eleanor’s time as Queen. Thus, the past year was one in which her lady seemed deliriously happy. Not only was Cromwell rich, but Henry had made him Baron Cromwell just a week before the wedding. She missed Jacoliene when she was in confinement with her first child, but having given birth a week ago, her lady would be back soon.

“I do hope that the birth hasn’t been too taxing on Jacoliene. I am eager to see her return to the court.”

“My daughter will be fine.” Johanne replied,”Caroline is a precious babe, so I am sure she is just enjoying this time that she has to focus only on her.”

“Good. I’m sure Thomas is happy to have a daughter again. Always good to hear legitimate lineages prosper.”

The emphasis was deliberate, for the bastard, had a child that June. The child was named Elizabeth, for the bastard’s whore mother, which had only made Eleanor angrier. Of course, she had an outlet for that anger and had made her own displeasure known when Henry had considered being a godfather to the bastard’s child. The Queen had insisted that he only be godfather to the future grandchildren he’d have by her, and Henry agreed just to get her to stop complaining. Thinking of that again was what finally compelled Eleanor to sit on her bed and begin to read the letter.

Your Majesty,

It has been a year since I have become Queen of Scotland and I believe that the people here are beginning to warm to me. Oh, it was a little hard at first, but when my servants opened the chests containing my dowry the Scots were plenty impressed. The rest took time but given my French skills, I’ve been able to talk to them just fine. As you said in the North, my English ladies have been very helpful. Young Margaret Sandys is rather fond of the Earl of Bothwell. This will prove useful. He lacks a wife and I suspect that as Margaret blossoms into womanhood, she will catch his eye. With my maid a Countess, I will have some sway over the nobility. I’ll be sure to push them together whenever I get the chance, he seems practical. As for my husband, I have few complaints. Though it would be too early to say that James and I love each other, we are well-suited. Our childlessness has not been for a lack of trying, I will admit. I have faith that we will be blessed eventually, I am only sixteen after all. Do send my love to my siblings, I know Harry would be cross with me if I didn’t make sure to mention them.

With Loyalty and Love,

Mary Tudor, Queen of Scotland

Eleanor felt her worries melt away at that moment. Her eldest had done well for herself and had handled her situation perfectly. If anything, she was impressed. Mary knew what to do and had done her duty well. In a way, she was pleased that Mary was yet to have children. The woman felt she was too young to be a grandmother, she still had her pride. Rising from her bed, Eleanor of Austria strode to her desk, ready to write a reply letter to her daughter, a satisfied smile on her lips.

No charity works, schools hospitals etc from Queen Eleanor? Or are they ‘regular expenses?’

Good news from Scotland there.
Not much in the way of that from her, besides perhaps the minimum. Eleanor thinks her money can be put to use for more "important" things.

Yeah Mary has adjusted to Scotland rather well, and though she's not adored by the people, they don't hate her at least...

I take it this james v is a tad more faithful than the otl, or mary hasn't realized yet (though tbf with a wife from an earlier time he may never get the chance to uh sow the seeds that he did iotl)

I take it this james v is a tad more faithful than the otl, or mary hasn't realized yet (though tbf with a wife from an earlier time he may never get the chance to uh sow the seeds that he did iotl)
He might be slightly more, but it's more that Mary doesn't really care. She learned from her mother that he already had some, and has been willing to accept it.