Theory of Alt-history: The Issue of "Trinketization"

The catalyst for this thread comes from two posts I've read recently, one from Sea Lion Press, the other from Fuldapocalypse Fiction. The authors bring up an issue in the construction of alternate history fiction, that being how writers and readers have difficulties seeing the science of history as anything beyond a series of unrelated trivia, the greater narratives of reality being loss upon them.

Alex Wallace hypothesizes the following:

"A mistake many newcomers make (and this is a nation encouraged by many online historical discussion fora, not just alternate historical spaces) is assuming that history is simply the aggregation of bits of trivia, whose own complex interrelationships are neglected. This reduces the study of history to a collection of trinkets rather than the system of the world that many academics spend entire lives studying but a tiny portion. This is not something that newcomers should feel overly guilty over; this is how history is taught as in many school systems before the university level."

I will admit that a great many pieces of the genre, both from professionals and novices alike, struggle with this. If a story is meant to be "hard" in its realism then proper research must be completed, understanding the subtle links between the various cultural systems that form our global society. Too often, an alt history tale built around worldbuilding as opposed to other aspects, reads more like a series of random anecdotes. Obviously realism isn't required for something to be great, but to deconstruct one must understand the target they aim at.

Colin Salt writes that:

"In some ways, this trinketization was inevitable. The [alt-history] fandom was going to grow larger and more “diluted”, and the internet made it far easier to find broad surface facts than deep knowledge. Audience attitudes shifted from nitpicking to fanfic consumption, with updating frequently and playing to the crowd taking precedence over all else...

"Trinketization in practice means that it feels like just a collection of names, numbers, and events tossed out, with divergences being for their own sake and no attempt to work them into a bigger whole. Often the names are of semi-obscure figures who feel like they were just yanked out of Wikipedia or somewhere similar."

There is of course, a lot of room for experimentation in the genre, and certainly a place for those just looking to make harmless map or wikibox centric timeline. But can be troubling how narratives can run awry, leading to timelines with illogical subplots like something out of a bad technothriller. Ultimately, the problem boils down to the fact of not understanding history leading to the creation of entertainment that aims for fun and excitement, but is too inauthentic and absurd to be properly engaging, lacking the heart and soul that the great of the genre have proven can exist in the world of alternate history. It's the equivalent of a bad superhero film, all nonstop strangeness and spectacle, yet no substance for all it tries.

The two writings that inspired this can be located below:

Hi - I'm Alex Wallace. A pleasure to hear you liked my piece.

I like the 'bad superhero film' analogy - the way I've read what I've seen running AHO, it's that many newcomers aren't familiar with how history works as a discipline. All historical texts have an argument to them, and by extension so do all pieces of fiction with a historical setting. The works they create, therefore, fail to feel cohesive, as it's throwing Wikipedia titles at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Also I regularly correspond with Colin Salt (@Coiler), and I quite like his piece.

Interesting stuff. I agree with the concept of 'trinketization', in which history is reduced to dates, events, and maps, lacks any real substance or heart. It's definitely related to the fact that most AH leans much closer to pop history than academic history. Where there is little academic rigor, or if there is, it's just extreme minutiae about the Confederate/Nazi militaries and profiles of the same three dozen generals. A lot of times it's just worldbuilding as a means to an end... with that end being more worldbuilding.

But myself and the vast majority of people in the AH community only have, and will ever only have, an American High School level education of history and historiography. How do we improve our knowledge to improve the quality of our timelines?

Interesting stuff. I agree with the concept of 'trinketization', in which history is reduced to dates, events, and maps, lacks any real substance or heart. It's definitely related to the fact that most AH leans much closer to pop history than academic history. Where there is little academic rigor, or if there is, it's just extreme minutiae about the Confederate/Nazi militaries and profiles of the same three dozen generals. A lot of times it's just worldbuilding as a means to an end... with that end being more worldbuilding.

But myself and the vast majority of people in the AH community only have, and will ever only have, an American High School level education of history and historiography. How do we improve our knowledge to improve the quality of our timelines?
As the guy who wrote one of the articles, I'd recommend reading many history books, not just to build up more knowledge but to get an idea of how the discipline of history works. You begin to see the substance behind the bits of trivia, and that can be replicated in alternate history writing. You need to get used to thinking of facts in their context rather in isolation.

Last edited:
As the guy who wrote one of the articles, I'd recommend reading many history books, not just to build up more knowledge but to get an idea of how the discipline of history works. You begin to see the substance behind the bits of trivia, and that can be replicated in alternate history writing. You need to get used to thinking of facts in their context rather in isolation.
Right, that makes sense. Thanks.

The catalyst for this thread comes from two posts I've read recently, one from Sea Lion Press, the other from Fuldapocalypse Fiction. The authors bring up an issue in the construction of alternate history fiction, that being how writers and readers have difficulties seeing the science of history as anything beyond a series of unrelated trivia, the greater narratives of reality being loss upon them [...]
To get an idea of what you're describing, could you please cite a published example of a trinketized plot and a published example of AH you think was done right?

I don't get why we should apply academic standards to what amounts too glorified fanfiction. Its not not supposed to be a commentary but a good story.

Last edited:
I've been on the website for 20+ years and I think the level of detail and research today completely dwarfs nearly anything old. I think that trinketization is probably still a thing, but it's not because of dilution but the simple fact that there's far, far too much to take into for even professional academics let alone the layperson writing glorified fan-fiction.

I think focusing on worldbuilding to the exclusion of other priorities is fine- if one is aiming for conveying the "aesthetics" of history. The verisimilitude of maps and flags and roundels. And perhaps sometimes it feels like this genre has shifted in that focus, which is fine. But if one is aimed at crafting a convincing story, one who is writing an alternate history needs to consider not both important historical factors, but also the "dynamics" of history to play out the events in a convincing manner. Writing any good story, whether fanfiction or not, requires attention to those dynamics, for they are the physics of narrative. In AH's case, those dynamics can simply be the historical movements or forces that were in play.

I don't think avoiding trinketization is really anything new to AH, it's just pushing against a specific form of implausibility. And having a critical eye for plausibility in counterfactuals goes all the way back to USENET days. But it's good that we have a new phrase to refer to the phenomenon, especially when taking to account the current mania for Wikiboxes and hyper-detailed maps.

Also, I'm not too familiar with NDCR so I don't know what criticism of it exists on AH.com but I did see allegations against it elsewhere.

I think the genre of AH is wide enough to allow all of "glorified fanfiction" with the goal of telling an entertaining story rather than anything plausible; "trinketization" putting aesthetics, maps, flags and wikiboxes on the fore front and extremely plausible and researched to a degree that makes academic publications blush, serious Alternate Timelines.

Alternate History can be all those and more. There is nothing wrong with that. Each has its place. Sometimes you want gourmet, sometimes street food, sometimes fast food and sometimes you just want pop corns. It is quite normal for a genre as wide as AH to offer something for everyone.

This is one of the silliest things I've ever read, AH is a genre of fiction writing, not academic study. Sure you can deep dive and study the minutiae of Napolean winning and spend hours, days or weeks studying every potential effect through economics, military, culture etc, but if you don't and just skim wikipedia to make a map, both are equally valid examples of the genre.

This article reads like someone complaining about things that they don't like that are popular in the community. Your hang up appears to be that plausibility is a requirement and that simply isn't true.

Not everyone wants to study history for hours just to write a story. Most don't have the time or desire and they certainly don't need too.

What we do here isn't science designed to teach, its art designed to entertain :/

This article is just gatekeeping.

Last edited:
Nah, AH is a literary genre, and all genres are subject to a culture of critique, whether you choose to abide by it or not. Our esteemed admin was writing on it decades ago.

Musings on "As you know, Bob..."

Musings on Plausibility

Musings on Evil Empires

You can choose to conform to critique or not, there are different tastes for every reader, but you can also create critique. Honestly, reading these analyses are sort of fun in of itself, sort of like watching video essays or browsing TVTropes. Sometimes you get bored of reading the same mediocre AH over and over again, or rather AH that make the same mistakes over and over again, and you want a rigorous meta-analysis. And as with literary critique, sometimes these genre studies can be as creative as the actual works they're critiquing. Criticism can be a way to point out common pitfalls in stories and inspire better ones to be told.

TomNolan

Banned
The catalyst for this thread comes from two posts I've read recently, one from Sea Lion Press, the other from Fuldapocalypse Fiction. The authors bring up an issue in the construction of alternate history fiction, that being how writers and readers have difficulties seeing the science of history as anything beyond a series of unrelated trivia, the greater narratives of reality being loss upon them.

Alex Wallace hypothesizes the following:

"A mistake many newcomers make (and this is a nation encouraged by many online historical discussion fora, not just alternate historical spaces) is assuming that history is simply the aggregation of bits of trivia, whose own complex interrelationships are neglected. This reduces the study of history to a collection of trinkets rather than the system of the world that many academics spend entire lives studying but a tiny portion. This is not something that newcomers should feel overly guilty over; this is how history is taught as in many school systems before the university level."

I will admit that a great many pieces of the genre, both from professionals and novices alike, struggle with this. If a story is meant to be "hard" in its realism then proper research must be completed, understanding the subtle links between the various cultural systems that form our global society. Too often, an alt history tale built around worldbuilding as opposed to other aspects, reads more like a series of random anecdotes. Obviously realism isn't required for something to be great, but to deconstruct one must understand the target they aim at.

Colin Salt writes that:

"In some ways, this trinketization was inevitable. The [alt-history] fandom was going to grow larger and more “diluted”, and the internet made it far easier to find broad surface facts than deep knowledge. Audience attitudes shifted from nitpicking to fanfic consumption, with updating frequently and playing to the crowd taking precedence over all else...

"Trinketization in practice means that it feels like just a collection of names, numbers, and events tossed out, with divergences being for their own sake and no attempt to work them into a bigger whole. Often the names are of semi-obscure figures who feel like they were just yanked out of Wikipedia or somewhere similar."

There is of course, a lot of room for experimentation in the genre, and certainly a place for those just looking to make harmless map or wikibox centric timeline. But can be troubling how narratives can run awry, leading to timelines with illogical subplots like something out of a bad technothriller. Ultimately, the problem boils down to the fact of not understanding history leading to the creation of entertainment that aims for fun and excitement, but is too inauthentic and absurd to be properly engaging, lacking the heart and soul that the great of the genre have proven can exist in the world of alternate history. It's the equivalent of a bad superhero film, all nonstop strangeness and spectacle, yet no substance for all it tries.

The two writings that inspired this can be located below:

https://freebooksummary.com/category/bloodchild-and-other-stories

It seems to me that you can change the emphasis on your style by implementing the ideas of several writers or you can take advantage of the experience of fans. A fantastic concept can be created by a group and a group mind can create the effect of dispersion.

Last edited:
To get an idea of what you're describing, could you please cite a published example of a trinketized plot and a published example of AH you think was done right?
For a tinkerized plot i would say new deal retained
for one without tinkerazation I would say fear and loathing and gumbo

Similar time periods, but in vastly different styles