The Yankee Dominion: A Map and World Building Project

Of course, but that's the fun in it really.

Not to say you can't have fun and unusual ideas in AH, that's the beauty of the genre, but I feel everything should have a good reason and justification. Not to say Greenland couldn't have a large TTL population, but it seems unlikely and needs a good reason.

Not to say you can't have fun and unusual ideas in AH, that's the beauty of the genre, but I feel everything should have a good reason and justification. Not to say Greenland couldn't have a large TTL population, but it seems unlikely and needs a good reason.

Not a huge population, just around the 100-150k (and i'm thinking more on the lower end of the scale).

Iceland has a population of 350k and Reykyavjik is on a similar latitude to nuuk almost and climate wise the southern villages otl are livable enough (average temperature in Qaqortoq of about -2.2 lowest) then Nanortalik has an average temperature of about -1.3 during january and even Paamuit which is a bit north has an average temperature of -3.4. So if we had lets say 75-80% of the people living in the southern villages, 15-20% of them in nuuk (otl population) and the other 5% elsewhere in the country, it would be a good balance.

It doesn't have to be a huge country population wise but having a small independent country (that isn't a colony for once) would be pretty cool, maybe even make it a majority inuit population (with a Swede/Norweigan minority).

Much more fascinating than random country's colonial outpost.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the reason that OTL's Greenland has such a small population is climate related. I don't think that can be butterflied away so easily.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the reason that OTL's Greenland has such a small population is climate related. I don't think that can be butterflied away so easily.

Absolutely, hence why I recommended more Southern Greenland settlements to overcome that since the climate is reasonable for low level development.

Absolutely, hence why I recommended more Southern Greenland settlements to overcome that since the climate is reasonable for low level development.
I still refuse to see any possibilty for a more populous Greenland. And let alone any good reason to move to an island with basically no positive aspects for emigration. Im sorry but im firmly against this.

I still refuse to see any possibilty for a more populous Greenland. And let alone any good reason to move to an island with basically no positive aspects for emigration. Im sorry but im firmly against this.

Why, so we can do nothing with the country. It doesn't have to be a big nation, just a smallish nation as it is (barely bigger than it is now really).

That's pretty much only due to the US Millitary.

and Greenland otl has enough untapped oil to justify around 100k total population.

I didn't even have plans to make in neccesarily developed (at least compared to OTL since it has a hdi of about 0.79, and honestly i'd probably have it around the same level, if not lower due to their being more people).

I think the consensus is pretty decidedly against an independent Greenland at this point in time. The conditions would need to be dramatically altered in a way that is disproportionate to Greenland’s ultimate importance to the project.

ST15RM

Banned
upload_2019-9-11_20-34-22.png

made a new wikipedia map

ST15RM

Banned
upload_2019-9-16_14-58-8.png

so here's the political divisions of russia:
yellow - oblasts (same as otl)
orange - krais (again same)
blue - autonomous okrug/uyezd (for these i was thinking about having them operate much more like republics than they are iotl, though they are technically considered a "second-level" division)
green - republics (similar to iotl, except they're more powerful than otl. they have their own devolved legislative body, with their own president/first minister appointed by the president/prime minister with the legislation's approval. this allows these republics to have more indigenous culture than otl, promoting the languages, practices, etc. within the republic. think of scotland within the otl uk and you get a pretty good picture of what i'm looking at)
upload_2019-9-16_15-2-13.png

ttl's federal districts act more like just "regions" and are for streamlining how the vast area of russia operates. courts, the census, national parks, etc. all are divided into these districts.
they are:
red - central (moscow)
light blue - northern (st. petersburg)
yellow - volga (kazan)
pink - caucuses (stavropol')
purple - ural (omsk)
green - siberia (irkutsk)
dark blue - far east (komsomolsk)

i also decided that ukraine extending to the don was a bit unrealistic and i made kuban follow otl borders. so what are your thoughts on this? i know it's basically like otl, but i kinda like the russian system of federal subjects and i all i wanted to do was to make it a bit more "democratic"

View attachment 488392
so here's the political divisions of russia:
yellow - oblasts (same as otl)
orange - krais (again same)
blue - autonomous okrug/uyezd (for these i was thinking about having them operate much more like republics than they are iotl, though they are technically considered a "second-level" division)
green - republics (similar to iotl, except they're more powerful than otl. they have their own devolved legislative body, with their own president/first minister appointed by the president/prime minister with the legislation's approval. this allows these republics to have more indigenous culture than otl, promoting the languages, practices, etc. within the republic. think of scotland within the otl uk and you get a pretty good picture of what i'm looking at)
View attachment 488395
ttl's federal districts act more like just "regions" and are for streamlining how the vast area of russia operates. courts, the census, national parks, etc. all are divided into these districts.
they are:
red - central (moscow)
light blue - northern (st. petersburg)
yellow - volga (kazan)
pink - caucuses (stavropol')
purple - ural (omsk)
green - siberia (irkutsk)
dark blue - far east (komsomolsk)

i also decided that ukraine extending to the don was a bit unrealistic and i made kuban follow otl borders. so what are your thoughts on this? i know it's basically like otl, but i kinda like the russian system of federal subjects and i all i wanted to do was to make it a bit more "democratic"
I like it alot, shame about mega Ukraine but yeah its more realistic this way