The XK-BAM map series

First-level administrative divisions of the Kingdom of Hungary 1941-1944 for the 8K-BAM. Includes the Counties, Cities with Municipal Status (differentiated by a darker color), and Subcarpathia's Administrative Delegations.
1682199836310.png

Hey! New to this website but I've started work on a *4K-BAM version of TNO. Here's my progress so far:
1682803683223.png

(I got the map size wrong, apologies!)

Last edited:
De facto control map of the world, not the most accurate thing ever but should do the job
This map is based off global road coverage, since roads are the most important thing driving full territorial control.
Oh also, this is merely a map of not fully controlled land, not totally uncontrolled land. States obviously respond to serious situations going on in these areas, these areas are just hard to reach for civilians.
1683132925107.png
1683132945255.png

De facto control map of the world, not the most accurate thing ever but should do the job
This map is based off global road coverage, since roads are the most important thing driving full territorial control.
Oh also, this is merely a map of not fully controlled land, not totally uncontrolled land. States obviously respond to serious situations going on in these areas, these areas are just hard to reach for civilians.View attachment 828798View attachment 828799
I love you.

1683283219060.png
1683283233452.png

Here's an 8K-BAM map of France's généralités in 1789. Right is colored with the pays d'états and pays d'impositions in a lighter color due to their autonomous status.

View attachment 829243View attachment 829244
Here's an 8K-BAM map of France's généralités in 1789. Right is colored with the pays d'états and pays d'impositions in a lighter color due to their autonomous status.
ok so the Pays d'États and d'Imposition did not exactly follow the Généralités, but the Pays d'Élection did.
The Pays d'États were indeed autonomous in terms of taxes, voting their own contribution to the crown, among which we can count Brittany, Labourd, Soule, Béarn, Lower Navarre, Nébouzan, Bigorre, Comminges, Quatre Vallées, Foix, Languedoc, Marsan, Vivarais, Vélay, Gévaudan, Provence, Burgundy and Mâconnais.
The Pays d'Imposition were under direct taxation from the crown, in opposition to the Pays d'Élection in which the taxation was delegated to State officials who usually bought their position. Among the Pays d'Imposition were Artois, Flanders, Hainaut, Lorraine, Barrois, Trois Évechés, Alsace, Free County, Roussillon and Corsica.
Their status sometimes were disputed, as Couserans was sometimes considered a Pays d'État de iure but d'Élection de facto, and the system present in Foix could have it be classified as a Pays d'Imposition. The Bresse and Bugey had Pays d'États but could've too been considered de facto Pays d'Élection, even though their État status itself was disputed. Corsica also had technically a Pays d'État status until 1789, it was effectively both.

The region of Dombes had a Pays d'Imposition to its own based in Trévoux from 1762 to 1787.
In Haute-Guyenne and Berry were experimented in the 1780's some weaker form of Pays d'État, which in June 1787 was by edict set to slowly take over the old system of Pays d'Élection, which would've brought the Généralités and their newly found financial and administrative status as the new most important subdivisions of the Kingdom, rather than the Provinces which until then had been the prime set of subdivisions.

Every Pays d'Imposition and Pays d'Élection was a Pays d'État at some point you can find a list there

And since people perhaps are wondering, you can for you alternate history shove any piece of land conquered by France from like perhaps the 1610's up to the 1780's in the Pays d'Imposition category. Some more peculiar cases, perhaps such as those of bilateral annexation (I think of these times Catalonia recognised the French King as their ruler), would most likely spark discussions and their taxation status would be to be determined on a case by case basis.

Essentially I would advise to either try to show both the Provinces, Governments, Généralités and the Pays of taxation on a map, or to show them separately, on one hand a map featuring administrative subdivisions and on the other one the taxation subdivisions.

There are a few folks here who know a lot more about how that all worked, i'll gladly let them correct me

8K-BAM map of the bantustans in South Africa. Hope this will be useful for someone else.

Apartheid intensifies
View attachment 829384
Four things:

1. Amazing work!

2. Did you model this after someone elses work? I seem to recall a messy Bantustan 8K-BAM map like 2 years ago, but I cannot find it anywhere these days, nor do I know who made it.

3. I also made a series of Bantustan maps for 8K, but it unfortunately uses my very own idiosyncratic coastlines and subdivisions, and I really do not like sharing them with the public at least for the foreseeable future.

4. I also made multiple Bantustan variants on 8K, from the earliest to the latest, the one you have above seems to be the 1980s map, whereas Bantustan borders changed as late as 1991, especially with Bophuthatswana.

Four things:

1. Amazing work!

2. Did you model this after someone elses work? I seem to recall a messy Bantustan 8K-BAM map like 2 years ago, but I cannot find it anywhere these days, nor do I know who made it.

3. I also made a series of Bantustan maps for 8K, but it unfortunately uses my very own idiosyncratic coastlines and subdivisions, and I really do not like sharing them with the public at least for the foreseeable future.

4. I also made multiple Bantustan variants on 8K, from the earliest to the latest, the one you have above seems to be the 1980s map, whereas Bantustan borders changed as late as 1991, especially with Bophuthatswana.
1. Thank you!

2. KwaZulu & Lebowa have some similarities with the Borderpool map. I did the rest myself, referring to the map of modern administrative units.

3. I understand how difficult it could be to find a position for these terrible enclaves. If in the future you have a desire to share the work, I will be glad to take a look.

4. Exactly. Even before the borders of Bophuthatswana began to merge.

Last edited:
That purple rectangle on the right side of Namibia, why did they do that?
This is Tswanaland. Maybe they did it for fun. 🙂
Tswanaland is too small here, it was centered around the town of Aminuis, but this Tswanaland on your map does not includes its own capital, based on maps of Namibia from the Apartheid era, it should look more like this:
1683387774709.png

Also I have no idea why they chose to make this Bantustan, Tswana people were a minority in their own Bantustan, only its leader was Tswana, the rest of the population was Ovaherero.

Tswanaland is too small here, it was centered around the town of Aminuis, but this Tswanaland on your map does not includes its own capital, based on maps of Namibia from the Apartheid era, it should look more like this:
View attachment 829471
Also I have no idea why they chose to make this Bantustan, Tswana people were a minority in their own Bantustan, only its leader was Tswana, the rest of the population was Ovaherero.
You're absolutely right. The wikipedia map is inaccurate.

Thanks, I fixed the map in the post earlier.