The XK-BAM map series

jNjs1YL.png

Clean version of 1914 2k without internal borders, just need to remove the internal borders from Africa and India

Anything wrong?

I used THICC colours. There should be no uncolonized pixels outside of Antarctica and Saudi Arabia. Anyone spot any border pixel mistakes?

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
jNjs1YL.png

Clean version of 1914 2k without internal borders, just need to remove the internal borders from Africa and India

Anything wrong?

I used THICC colours. There should be no uncolonized pixels outside of Antarctica and Saudi Arabia. Anyone spot any border pixel mistakes?

Some countries are missing in Africa, namely Darfur, Aussa, Jimma, the Dervish State, Majeerteen, and Hobyo.

jNjs1YL.png

Anything wrong?

Afghanistan was never part of British India as far as I'm aware, and the "no internal borders" rule you're following seems to me inconsistently applied. Why do Morocco and Tunisia, or for that matter Tripolitania and Cyrenaica, get borders if, for instance, British East Africa doesn't? Labrador was subject to a territorial dispute at the time but it still existed, although I suppose it wouldn't show up with British dominions having the same color as the rest of the British Empire. There's also Finland, Khiva, and Bukhara, which were certainly not sovereign in their own right but also not exactly part of Russia.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Afghanistan was never part of British India as far as I'm aware, and the "no internal borders" rule you're following seems to me inconsistently applied. Why do Morocco and Tunisia, or for that matter Tripolitania and Cyrenaica, get borders if, for instance, British East Africa doesn't? Labrador was subject to a territorial dispute at the time but it still existed, although I suppose it wouldn't show up with British dominions having the same color as the rest of the British Empire. There's also Finland, Khiva, and Bukhara, which were certainly not sovereign in their own right but also not exactly part of Russia.

Finland was part of Russia but was autonomous, whereas Khiva and Bukhara were separate countries, but under Russian vassalage

lakes.png

Lake Bonneville, lake lahontan, and some of the other smaller lakes. Data from Natural Earth. The new coastlines and new waters are in a different color than the modern day coasts/waters.

Brazilian mesoregions and microregions. I also fixed some municipalities that had weird borders.
View attachment 646305
This is great work! Although you are aware these were abolished in 2017 in favour of these, right?:
Edit: There's a list too, but you might have to go to the Portuguese page for specific maps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intermediate_and_Immediate_Geographic_Regions

Some countries are missing in Africa, namely Darfur, Aussa, Jimma, the Dervish State, Majeerteen, and Hobyo.
I was using this map as a reference and it had Afghanistan as a British protectorate. Similar for the other places.

I don't like Panama's colour. I finished getting rid of internal borders in Africa.

XTpzU5l.png

If the original map I was basing it on is inaccurate then it's not gonna be very good. Is your QBAM a better reference than omniatlas?

If your QBAM has lat/long lines then it might be easier to compare it with this one

I'm using GIMP but I gotta say there must be a better way to do this cause it's a slow process, how does anyone do the 8k maps

Crazy Boris

Banned
If the original map I was basing it on is inaccurate then it's not gonna be very good. Is your QBAM a better reference than omniatlas?

If your QBAM has lat/long lines then it might be easier to compare it with this one

I'm using GIMP but I gotta say there must be a better way to do this cause it's a slow process, how does anyone do the 8k maps

Omniatlas is generally a very good resource and it definitely the best website for this sort of thing, but it's not perfect. I think the best course of action is to double check anything you aren't 100% certain of using whatever other resources you can find.

Omniatlas is generally a very good resource and it definitely the best website for this sort of thing, but it's not perfect
Anyone remembers Geacron? it was a great interactive map tool that showed border changes in the world map since 3000 BCE, it had a limited and paid version, I now tried to access the site but it didn't work, the fact that such an unique site was almost never mentioned around online history communities and had no HTTPS certificate always looked very sketchy to me.

My last experience with the site was like 2 years ago when they restricted the option to go to any time period you wanted and made you stuck to see a border change per decade unless you paid them to get the premium version, but the backlash from their (probably tiny) community was so immense that they removed this option.