The XK-BAM map series

The 8K-BAM
upload_2018-4-15_18-16-33.png

This map was a two-person project by me and @Drex, which we managed to complete in a month.​

This is an Equirectangular GIS based basemap that fits somewhere between the QBAM and the MBAM in size. It uses the same overlays as the VTBAM for administrative divisions but uses a different source for the water. At this size it should still be relatively easy to use while having the accuracy benefits of the VT-BAM.

The main administrative map is already complete, though there are probably still some improvements that can be made, the basemap also changed midway through the project so there may be some missing pixels around the coastlines (report these here)

I’ve made a few historic patches (mostly while working on the 1930 map) but these should be fairly easy for anyone to make. This basemap will probably be best used for dates beyond ~1890, though I don't have any plans for anything before 1905.

Being GIS based I have a georeferenced version of the basemap and can relatively easily reproject non equirectangular maps onto the basemap (though not always perfectly) so long as they’re detailed enough. A river map is being worked on, though it is a rather time consuming process.

Current projects:
2018 administrative map - Complete
Topographic map - Complete
River map - WIP
1930 administrative map - WIP
1910 administrative map - Planned

Downloads

Last edited:
Do you need any help or is this a one man thing?
It's not easily possible to help with the rivers unfortunately. I'm kind of generating them with GIS data, but am placing the pixels themselves manually, and the material for this process is not really portable.
The main things that people can help with right now are:
Historical patches/maps (I'd recommend staying in or beyond 1945 for now)
Error checking (there are probably quite a few missing pixels, especially in Europe)
Demographic maps.

I'm working on 1930 as well (I'll be alternating between working on that and on the rivers) I'm going to be keeping that specific year locked down but feel free to work on any other year. There are a few things I'd like help with for 1930 but I'll post them here when I reach them.

Also, if anyone wants to do the German/Austro-Hungarian empires, contact me first.

I've found doing the VT-BAM that the overlays for India are incorrect in loads of places.
I know, I redid a lot of India using some 2018 district maps, quite a few states had some changes earlier this year. Telangana for example had some major changes to it's districts again in January. There were a few other countries that had their overlays revised too: Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Iraq and Nepal all had internal boundary changes, some other countries had some division changes that kept the current boundaries but maybe added an extra higher level division or dissolved a division. (France, Norway and Syria are some examples of this)

To my knowledge, everything is up to date with whatever publicly available data I could find right now (though if anyone finds anything wrong I'll do what I can to rectify it)

Rivers for the Middle East and Caucasus as well as more rivers in Europe
upload_2018-4-18_19-35-9.png

I've mostly been trying to complete Africa for 1930 but progress has been slow due to a scarcity of sources, there will probably be some issues to be fixed once it's done.

Also does anyone know if a map of France's 1926 arrondissements exists?

View attachment 382801
I've mostly been trying to complete Africa for 1930 but progress has been slow due to a scarcity of sources, there will probably be some issues to be fixed once it's done.

I spent like two hours trying to find a single map of France's 1926 arrondissements.

I think for such things, you should include the community on here.

And I love this new map! It's between QBAM and MBAM; so a pretty good size for bigger endeavours, but not as exaggerated as a full VT-BAM.

Looks great so far! Also this website goes department by department to show the post-1926 reform arrondissements...I think. I don't speak French. But hey, it's something, at least, so hopefully it helps. :)