The World of Turtledove's In the Presence of Mine Enemies

Someone who could make a creepy character is Alexander Haig. In OTL, he was nearly assassinated in Germany. But what is creepy is that when Reagan had his assassination attempt, as Secretary of Defense, Haig unilaterally claimed he was President since it was a "wartime crisis "...

I would wonder during the aftermath of the Third World War how many Americans of Jewish, Negro and other ancestries would obtain or create false records in order to pass as white.

MaxGerke01

Banned
So it occurs in the aftermath of WW3 there would have been an especially large group of "politicals" in North America which from the fascist perspective would include the far left, gay people,certain religious groups etc .How would this have been dealt with ? Also what would be the final disposition of the other large non Aryan populations in North America ie Native American, Hispanic and Asian ? While maybe not targeted for extermination they would not be completely free -ie no intermarriage with Aryans or each other one assumes ? Also what becomes of any surviving icons of American independence ie Statue of Liberty, Mt Rushmore etc ? Also is the 1976 Bicentennial addressed or ignored ?

Last edited:
The most dangerous political would either be summarily executed with others being worked to death. The SS and the new American administration probably had a liquidation list. I figure that much of the dangerous reconstruction work would be done by these prisoners.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Also given the size of the populations targeted and the size of the country itself was there a large American Auschwitz type death camp or two or three ?

MaxGerke01

Banned
What happens to Brazil?
I think its safe to say the Nazis would hace been horrified by Brazil and much of the Caribbean, Central and South America where there was a large number of mixed race people (as they would love Argentina with its large number of people with German ancestry. If they had control here the atrocities would have beggared belief.

There were probably some Death Camps out west to prevent escapes and knowledge of the acts. As for the Southern Hemisphere, the Nazis and all may tolerate friendly regimes like Integralists' or Peronists.

Someone who could make a creepy character is Alexander Haig. In OTL, he was nearly assassinated in Germany. But what is creepy is that when Reagan had his assassination attempt, as Secretary of Defense, Haig unilaterally claimed he was President since it was a "wartime crisis "...

He really did that? I'll have to look into this guy. See if he was born before 1945 or not.

I would wonder during the aftermath of the Third World War how many Americans of Jewish, Negro and other ancestries would obtain or create false records in order to pass as white.

As many as could would I'm sure. But many won't be able to pass, or won't be able to get the paperwork quick enough. Also, by the 1970s things will have started to be digitized so that could complicate things.

So it occurs in the aftermath of WW3 there would have been an especially large group of "politicals" in North America which from the fascist perspective would include the far left, gay people,certain religious groups etc .How would this have been dealt with ? Also what would be the final disposition of the other large non Aryan populations in North America ie Native American, Hispanic and Asian ? While maybe not targeted for extermination they would not be completely free -ie no intermarriage with Aryans or each other one assumes ? Also what becomes of any surviving icons of American independence ie Statue of Liberty, Mt Rushmore etc ? Also is the 1976 Bicentennial addressed or ignored ?

As pointed, out bellow by Traveller76, the politicals would likely be rounded up at the start (those that didn't die in DC and other such cities). Some will slip through the cracks of course, in the chaos of the post-nuclear attack and America's surrender and sudden lurch into fascism.

I feel like Native Americans and Hispanics wouldn't be directly targeted, though you're likely right, and no race mixing would be allowed. Asians would have the "protection" of the Empire of Japan at least, so I'm sure that discrimination would be more muted.

I'm of the opinion that the Nazis likely wouldn't try to pull MITHC's "Jahr Null" stunt. Rather, the local fascists would try to co-opt as many symbols of Americana as possible into their new narrative. Modifications might be made in some instances. But I don't think they'd be demolished. As for the Bicentennial just 5 years after the surrender....hmm. I'm not sure. I could see it being acknowledged, again being co-opted by the new regime in Omaha.

The most dangerous political would either be summarily executed with others being worked to death. The SS and the new American administration probably had a liquidation list. I figure that much of the dangerous reconstruction work would be done by these prisoners.

Yup, I figure that this is exactly how it would go down.

Also given the size of the populations targeted and the size of the country itself was there a large American Auschwitz type death camp or two or three ?

Oh yes, there would definitely be some Auschwitz-like facilities in North America. Some in the West, some in the Old South, and likely some in Canada as well.

--------------------------------------------------
From my current write up that I've started:
Heinrich thought back to those fading color photographs he’d been given by his father, showing the slaughter at camps in southern states. Some place called...Dry Branch, in Georgia, and Talladega, in Alabama, if memory serves. And memory is all I have since Lise had to destroy them when the SS tried to come after me. He had been glad his wife had acted so quickly, but the loss of that record of the Nazi crimes still saddened him. Like any Jew still surviving throughout the Greater German Reich though, he knew that memory was important. It was all that he and his people really had when it came down to it. Memory and survival.
--------------------------------------------------
What happens to Brazil?

I think its safe to say the Nazis would hace been horrified by Brazil and much of the Caribbean, Central and South America where there was a large number of mixed race people (as they would love Argentina with its large number of people with German ancestry. If they had control here the atrocities would have beggared belief.

The Carribean likely falls to the Reich, I think?
But Brazil and most of South America would remain "free," under their own nationalist regimes. Remember from the book, Brazil is mentioned and there are definitely racist attitudes towards darker-skinned Brazilians, there hasn't been a mass-extermination of people of color in South America

There were probably some Death Camps out west to prevent escapes and knowledge of the acts. As for the Southern Hemisphere, the Nazis and all may tolerate friendly regimes like Integralists' or Peronists.

Well, it seems like Peron here took a page from the Kim family's or the Assad family's manual with a system of pseudo-monarchial succession with the reference to the "Peron of Argentina"?

Hmm. I think you're probably right. I can't see the Nazis directly involving themselves in South America.

But Brazil and most of South America would remain "free," under their own nationalist regimes.
Maybe said regimes have a strong popular base of support through anti-American sentiments with the alt-Sandinistas being Nicaragua's homegrown fascist movement and Castro being influenced by Italian-style fascism, for starters?

He really did that? I'll have to look into this guy. See if he was born before 1945 or not.

Here is the video from 1981:

He was born in 1924, but he was at West Point Academy until 1947, so he wasn't able to serve in the Second World War. He did serve in the Korean War and the Vietnam War, and would advise every Administration from Nixon until Reagan,....

For philosophies used to justify fascism and totalitarianism, maybe philosophical theories used in previous centuries to justify absolute monarchy make a "comeback" to provide fascist regimes with a philosophical basis like Plato's concept of the "philosopher king" and Hobbesian ideas about the social contract?

Well, in the case of Jews, it'd be pretty easy for a good chunk of America's Jews to hid their true heritage given the US didn't keep super-close track of citizens' religious faiths. If there are Jews who managed to survive in the heart of the Third Reich, there would likely be even more who survived in North America.

I wonder if the Reich would go after Slavic-descended people in the US (eg: Polish & Russian immigrants). By pure ideology, such a thing would be justified, but given American white supremacy tends not to distinguish between Slavs and other whites, I could see the Germans giving Slavic-descended Americans a pass in the US. Alternately, they would have an easy time hiding their heritage from the Nazis.

I have to wonder, between the various Reich problems in the East, propping up various regimes and the general economic inefficiencies and power brokering how much resources could they devote to the US. I am thinking they would create a US ally along the lines of say our East Germany and have various contingents from the Axis powers supply troops and weapons. For a while however I see various guerrilla movements in the Rocky Mountains/Appalachia and other terrains along with urban terrorism. Now the Germans could possibly drop some WMD but they want the resources and 'taxes'. So the new government is a police state with a layer of Corporatism wrapped in the American flag. I see them adopting a form a Apartheid regarding Whites/Asians/Hispanics and others.

I wonder if the Reich would go after Slavic-descended people in the US (eg: Polish & Russian immigrants). By pure ideology, such a thing would be justified, but given American white supremacy tends not to distinguish between Slavs and other whites, I could see the Germans giving Slavic-descended Americans a pass in the US.

Or they would double down and demand their American puppet go after those of Slavic descent, mixed heritage (for example, Slavic and Italian) and any other inferior Caucasian ethnic groups the Nazis deemed unworthy of survival. Kill them, or we drop more nukes on your country until you yield. Now, Thurmond or whomever led the puppet government (which in effect that's what it is) could have the records of powerful and influential people and relatives, friends and colleagues doctored to appear pure, and offer up common folks to appease the Nazi blood lust.

So, one thing that is different in Europe vs. the USA is that American's don't really keep track of their heritage in the same way, so it will be somewhat easy for anyone of any European ancestry to hide if they were in fact Slavic or Jewish. There will be some records from immigration, but not the easiest to track down.

I would imagine that the Nazis and Thurmond's government would focus on known Jewish communities (New York for sure, and that's specifically mentioned in the book), and African Americans and those obviously of mixed race. And as has been pointed out, resources will be stretched so this will likely be applied less than uniformly across North America. Some places it will be very thorough. Other places people will be able to keep their heads down and go unnoticed, at least for a while.

I'm hoping to have something done by the end of the weekend if I can manage. Have more details I need to work through in my head and get them written down on paper.