I was also wondering what is the status of German, Italian and Japanese Americans who survive WW3 ? If they are willing to go along with the new program do they get some sort of favored or protected status by virtue of their ancestry ?The internment of Japanese, German, and Italian - Americans all took place after the US got involved in WW2, so post-1941. ITTL, that would never have happened, and WWIII doesn't last long enough for anything like that to occur.
I think you would see those communities facing suspicion from some in the US, while others would see them as a way to build ties with those countries and keep America at peace.
That said...the Germans and Italians would probably have an easier time of things just because they're "white," while the Japanese would still be subject to Americans' well established anti-Asian racism.
Exactly. The POD is 1932, so there is plenty of wiggle room with WWII itself. In the TL I wrote up, France falls earlier, and Dunkirk is a disaster. King George VI is killed in the Blitz at the end of September 1940. So that war is subtly different early on and becomes more different the longer it goes, so that by 1945 we see Moscow falling and the Russians in retreat, with the first atomic weapon used in the summer, with Hitler declaring victory in August.
Speaking of Russia....Turtledove is VERY vague about what happened to them and what their current status was as of 2010. There's some mention that they'd been "pushed back beyond the Urals," but that's about it. I briefly included a rump Russian government centered in Omsk surviving post-1945, but not much detail there. Thoughts?
Also, trying to map out where this sequel story will go. Here are some "big ideas" I've been pondering and would welcome some help fleshing them out before I get into writing the details:
- Heinrich & Lise: I'm going to have Heinrich transferred to the USA, to give us a better first-person POV to what happens. So, what DOES happen?
- Alicia: She's going to make contact with the Jewish community in Switzerland, along with being the primary European POV
- The New Federalists are going to capture control of the Presidency. They are a "moderate" party ideologically. Not out and out fascist like the FJP, but not wanting to change things overnight back to true democracy (as opposed to the Liberty Party).
- The USA's new President is going to be outspoken about wanting to change America's status from "occupied" to "member of the Empire"
- This is going to rattle the Wehrmacht, which opposes a strong United States, whereas Buckliger is more open to discussing America's demands
So again, this is a rough sketch of where I am at currently, but very much open to changing things. Definitely wanting feedback here in order to tell a good story.
- Her meeting the Jewish community is still a little vague in my head...just a scene where she stumbles upon a Synagogue having Saturday services. I'm not sure exactly how this plays out, especially with regard to the security police. How heavily would they be trailing her?
- In Germany, there is the "grand reform bill" that is being debated.
- 10 year term-limit on the position of the Fuhrer
- Revives the Reichskanzler position separate from the Fuhrer, with a sort of "head of state/head of government" split between the two.
- Opens up some level of greater speech and press expression
- Does the reform bill pass?
- If so, what's the fallout?
- If not, what's the fallout? I would imagine that would be more destabilizing, with people taking to the streets, so it seems less likely.
- My gut says: the bill passes, but there are plenty of detractors. Once America starts causing issues after the 2020 election and the new non-fascist is in office in 2021, those detractors start to speak out.
- Following my gut... America takes one step too far in the eyes of Wehrmacht officials, and so the hardliners, working with the Army, force a coup to remove Buckliger and to clamp down on parts of the reform bill.
- This causes a full-blown uprising in Germany, and at this point, the stronger constituent parts of the Empire rise up, ostensibly in support of Buckliger but really in support of their own independence.
- The world comes to the brink of a fourth world war. Japan backs the reformists (helps take Germany down a peg or three in strength - though there are several in their own government that realize this could strengthen dissent within their own Empire). This forces the Wehrmacht coup leaders to the table.
It makes sense to have as in Fatherland a rump Soviet Union fighting against Germany-with clandestine American and maybe even Japanese assistance. But I dont see how this would have lasted beyond WW3 so the remaining Soviets were defeated as early as the 50's but as late as the early 70's ?
I think part of what should be addressed is just how much of pre WW3 America remains ? The true believers in the new regime combined with TTL's silent majority are the typical Americans who either agree with the program or go along with it to get along. Who are the Americans who not only want the Nazis gone but want America back the way it use to be ? Sounds like many of them are in the Liberal Party but who are those even more radical ? Since Buckliger has come to power they have a new lease on life. As long as they dont go too far they can exist in plain sight but how far will they go if there is a real chance to through off the Nazi yoke? Also what about the most endangered in America-the hidden blacks and Jews who have managed to survive ? What are their lives like, how many remain and where are they ? Can things really change enough for them to live a normal life again ?