The World of Tricolors and Traditions: Human History Without Napoleon

Part 1: Bridge Over Troubled Water
Headersmall.png

"The principal weapon of the Corsicans was their courage. This courage was so great that in one of these battles, near a river named Golo, they made a rampart of their dead in order to have the time to reload behind them before making a necessary retreat; their wounded were mixed among the dead to strengthen the rampart. Bravery is found everywhere, but such actions aren't seen except among free people."

-Voltaire, 1775

Part 1: "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
The Corsican Revolution

hnlkZtz.jpg

Excerpt from: Chapter Four of A History and Guide to the Island of Corsica, by Napoleone Charles Buonaparte, 1883.

[...] It was thus that the Comte de Vaux's campaign came to a mountain pass known locally as the Bocca di Bigornu, and to the French as the Col de Bigorno. In the interests of obtaining a speedy and thorough defeat of the Corsicans, the Comte had decided upon a strategy of seizing Corte and controlling the very centre of de Paoli's strength.

The strategy, while perfectly sound in the tactical sense, was also decided upon with few alternatives. Indeed, while better supplied than the first French expedition to the island, the Comte de Vaux was operating under less than ideal circumstances. Advised to project French power into the Mediterranean, the King would purchase Corsica from the Genoese; advised to conserve resources due to the state of French finances after the Seven Years War, the King would send only what was thought necessary. Further compounding the Comte's difficulties was the state of the French navy, still in tatters after defeat only a few years prior. He had little naval support in his expedition.

Thus, a land campaign, thrusting from what areas the French controlled towards the centre of the rebellion, was essentially the only option. de Paoli was aware of this, and it was quickly decided that the bridge at Porte Novu would be the strongest strategic point from which the French could be repulsed. Knowing that the Comte's strategy would rely on numerical superiority, de Paoli decided to meet the French ahead of the bridge proper. By sending two contingents of his forces forward, de Paoli sought to avoid a build up at the bridge itself.

Wisely, de Paoli assigned a sizable contingent of his finest and most trustworthy troops to hold the bridge itself, reinforced with local militia forces. In order to diminish the numerical superiority of the French, de Paoli had managed to purchase the services of a large group of Prussian mercenaries, once assigned by the Genoese to assist in retaking the island. The Prussians, under the direction of Gentili, were to assist in the initial forward actions of the Corsicans. [1]

For their services, although many would die, the Prussians would be paid handsomely from the national coffers. The Corsicans and the mercenaries met the forces of the Comte ahead of the bridge, and managed to hold favorable high ground above the road for some time. The advancing French were greatly unsettled, but soon managed to force their way forward, and push Gentili and his men into a retreat towards the bridge.

Need I say more of the gallantry and bravery of those men, heroes all, who held that bridge in the face of overwhelming strength? Of the men who continued to fight, even after death, as part of the rampart of corpses from which the Corsicans fired? It was as the blood lept from each slain man, boiling hot, and scalded a dozen Frenchmen apiece! [...]

Bataille_de_Ponte_Novu.jpg

The Battle at Porte Novu

The success of the de Paoli at Ponte Novu would shock Paris and electrify London. The Grafton ministry was generally slow to consider the public mood towards Corsica, despite near Universal sentiments in favor of the nascent Republic as a result of the fervent campaigns of James Boswell. Lord Shelburne would open a British consulate on the island as a gesture towards the Corsicans, but his and Grafton's concerns remained generally focused on the American Colonies. Half-hearted attempts had been made to bring together a coalition of Spain and Sardinia to oppose French expansionism, but nothing had come of it.

Yet the victory at Porte Novu made the Corsican situation impossible to ignore. Whereas before the Corsicans were considered plucky underdogs, now they were considered plucky underdogs with a fighting chance at victory, deserving of more support. Boswell declared that the "moral duty of Britain is to assist a brave people in their defense against tyranny." Even arch-Tories, skeptical of the highly liberal Corsican constitution, came to regard the Corsicans with grudging respect (though their attitudes were no doubt coloured by a preference for containing the French).

Lord Shelburne was thus put in a quandary. Concluding an alliance with Corsica would risk war with France, if they pressed their claims. On the other hand, refusing to further aid the Corsicans would likely topple the Grafton Ministry. While the British Empire maintained absolute naval supremacy over France, Britain's finances after the Seven Years War were hardly better than France's.

However, hardly better was still better, and the French coffers remained in a dismal state. Further, while a single military disaster at Borgo was excusable, a second military disaster (one featuring a French force with vast numerical superiority to the Corsicans) brought the entire mission into question. Could France throw an endless supply of soldiers at the tiny island whose determination seemed so resolute?

b7w92Ad.png

William Petty, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne (Lord Shelburne), after Sir Joshua Reynolds
oil on canvas, late 18th century, based on a work of 1766

Lord Shelburne, with Grafton's approval, therefore made the calculated decision to back the Corsicans more openly. The sabres at Gibraltar would be appropriately rattled, and a shipment of military supplies would be prepared to be sent. Implicit in this guarantee was that the ship delivering that precious cargo to the island would be well-guarded by the British fleet. Paris was appropriately outraged, but to its great concern the move was well received in Turin as well as in Madrid - the victory at Ponte Novu had been well regarded in Spain and Sardinia as well, helping to overcome their hesitancy to align themselves with the isolated British.

Lord Shelburne's next move is rightly regarded as a stellar diplomatic maneuver. He recognized the advantages he possessed, while also recognizing that Paris would likely be unwilling to wholly exit Corsica without some means of saving face. A deal was thus struck, and like so many good compromises, it left everyone slightly dissatisfied: Genoa's debts, which had been the original impetus to pass Corsica on to France, would be assumed by Corsica. France would evacuate the island, having obtained what it was owed. Corsica would thus enter Europe as an independent state - one heavily in debt, but independent nonetheless. Shelburne additionally made it clear to de Paoli that the forthcoming alliance between Britain and Corsica would include some assistance on Britain's part in regard to the debts, and the British public would soon find it in their hearts to send along much-needed money to the Corsicans.

The move was widely hailed in London circles, and gave the ailing Grafton ministry a boost of confidence it desperately needed. However, Grafton still found himself dealing with immense dissatisfaction from within his own government due to his conciliatory attitude towards the Colonies. From the other side of the aisle, the so-called "Junius Letters" continued to have an immense impact on the ministry's popularity; the success in Corsica would prove only a temporary reprieve.

Excerpt from: “An Examination of Buonaparte’s ‘A History and Guide,’” The Contemporary Review, Volume 23, by A. Strahan, 1889

Buonaparte, while spirited and perhaps even compelling in the retelling of the history of his country, speaks with great bias. Ultimately, the value of the work is most evidently it’s guide to the most beautiful and notable locales of that fair isle, if an adventurer is so inclined to venture there. [....]

Notes

[1]: This is the Point of Divergence for the timeline. In reality, Gentili and the Prussians were put in charge of guarding the bridge; for unclear reasons, the Prussians would fire the Corsicans as they retreated from the advancing French, and much of the army would be slaughtered in the crossfire.

Postscript I: An Introduction

Hello, friends.

Welcome to the timeline. This is a bit of a terrifying endeavor for me, the culmination of a great deal of brainstorming, writing, and something close to soul-searching. Much of my work in the AH space has been on maps and wikiboxes; this timeline got its start as a graphics TL over in the maps & graphics forum. I pretty quickly realized that creating a cohesive and believable world to set graphics in, at least from my perspective, required a thorough understanding of how the world got that way. From there it was a pretty natural move to begin work on a timeline proper.

The timeline has a single point of divergence, noted above. The impacts, however, will be quite significant. Napoleon is one of those incredibly crucial individuals of history, who seem to rise above the trends and economics and culture of it all and almost make great man history seem plausable. With this POD I'd like to examine a world without him playing the central role he did. I'll do my best to keep it plausible, though if you have questions or concerns or suggestions I'll gladly accept them. I can only store so much knowledge in my brain, so please let me know of your ideas.

My general notion for this timeline is for the POD to be like a rock dropped in a still lake. The first ripples will be quite small, and history will seemingly hew quite close to what we know. However, as things march on, the ripples will grow, and overlap, and produce all kinds of strange changes. I have some things in mind, but I'm sure other changes will develop naturally. This is as much an adventure for me as I hope it'll be for you all.

Much inspiration came from Milites’s To be a Fox and a Lion, from Planet of Hats’s Moonlight in a Jar, and from CosmicAsh’s These Fair Shores. Please check these timelines out, they're stellar, and I wouldn't be pursuing this if I didn't have such fantastic inspirations to aspire towards.

Thanks for reading!

-assouf

Last edited:

iddt3

Donor
Looks promising, watched!

I suspect France was heading towards some sort of dictatorship without Napoleon, but it certainly didn't need to take a surprisingly successful stab at conquering the continent.

Part 2: Desert Island Disk
Headersmall2.png

"The Falklands thing was a fight between two bald men over a comb."

-Jorge Luis Borges, 1983

Part 2: "Desert Island Disk"
The Corsican Crisis and its effects

1670505046100.png

Shelburne and Grafton, and Britain, were caught completely off-guard when Spanish General Juan Ignacio de Madariaga landed Port Egmont on East Falkland, overran the British colony there, and deported the entire population of the settlement back to Britain. Shelburne, having proven himself a skilled negotiator only a few months prior, advised Grafton to proceed with caution for fear of spooking the Spanish away from a negotiated settlement, and summoned the Spanish ambassador.

The choice to attempt a negotiated settlement proved a poor one. The Spanish stonewalled any effort to discuss the matter at hand, preferring to dance around the issue with vague references to their long-held claim to the islands; Paris was recalcitrant towards any question of their intentions in the crisis; the British public and Parliament alike were enraged by the apparent passiveness of the Duke of Grafton, and even those outside the ranks of the war hawks believed a stronger line needed to be taken.

Madrid's capture of Port Egmont was a calculated risk. The Spanish government denied foreknowledge of the naval landings, and denied ordering General de Madariaga to capture the colony; simultaneously, they defended the action (which they claimed not to have carried out!) as a legitimate expression of their claims to the Falklands. When the Pacte de Famille with France was accounted for, Madrid believed it could credibly compete with Britain's overwhelming naval and military superiority. And, ultimately, Spain was counting on Britain to be unable, or unwilling, to go to war over a pair of barren rocks in the South Atlantic. Unfortunately for Madrid, none of these assumptions would be borne out.

"My minister wishes for war, but I do not."
- King Louis XVI of France, in a letter to King Charles III of Spain, 1770

The Falklands Crisis would not end British claims to the Falklands (though, as part of a secret settlement, would temporarily end British settlement there), but would end the Grafton ministry. Shelburne was widely rebuked for appearing to sit on his hands as Spanish soldiers occupied British homes, despite his desperate efforts to end Spanish stalling, and Grafton would be unable to beat back claims he was a do-nothing coward, unwilling to consider a military response to a military problem. The ministry of Lord North which replaced Grafton's government quickly rattled the appropriate sabres and mobilized the Royal Navy, though at that point the threat of war was already waning - it was evident that France was unwilling to intervene, despite how much they were still smarting over Corsica, preferring to continue their slow military and naval buildup in order to adequately compete with British power. The war-eager Duc de Choiseul was dismissed as First Minister of France, and (in a stroke of irony), secret negotiations produced a peace deal with Spain in which Port Egmont would be restored to Britain, who would subsequently abandon the colony, leaving only a disc-shaped plaque there to mark Britain's claim.

The Falklands experience left deep impressions upon the governments in Europe, despite the crisis being over a pair of essentially desolate rocks in the South Atlantic.

For the new Prime Minister of Great Britain, Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford, the crisis proved that Britain could count on its military supremacy to muscle its way out of most situations. Shelburne's negotiated settlement, quite an accomplishment, was to be disregarded as a fluke and mere bit of good luck. The negotiating table should never be the first recourse of an embattled Britain, particularly not when it 'ruled the waves,' as it were. And, perhaps most critically, the colonies were prized possessions to be defended much in the same way the metropole was, or Britain risked losing credibility and prestige in the New World and beyond. Already drawing his parliamentary support upon hard-liners among the Bedfordites and Tories of Parliament, Lord North would give in to many of King George III's worst reactionary, authoritarian impulses, to disastrous effect.

For Paris, the Falklands fiasco would prove the last straw. The King had preferred a policy of patience and prudence in foreign affairs, not eager to jump into a full-scale conflict with Britain too soon. The King was no coward, and very much desired revenge for the Seven Years War - but, until rearmament and a rebuilding of the French military, France would need to choose its battles carefully. Now, though, the time seemed ripe to move from a policy of caution to a more aggressive stance towards London, shifting from a reactive policy to a proactive one, searching out opportunities to undermine Britain and topple its hegemony. Indeed defeating Britain at any cost became an article of faith at Versailles, and over the coming years France would prove willing to forego regaining colonial holdings or influence as it sought allies in its struggle. This near-desperation for victory would prove crucial in the coming Indian and American campaigns....

For Madrid, the Falklands invasion would prove a disaster for both prestige and confidence. Spain would be forced to admit its inability to actually compete with British power, and confront its reliance on France to accomplish anything worthwhile geopolitically. To this end, Madrid would devote itself to a series of reforms, political and military, which would prove beneficial in the short term but ultimately pointless in the long term.

Only two of the Redcoats involved in the Boston Massacre of March 5th, 1770, would be found guilty, and even then only of manslaughter. The rest would be found not guilty, and the impassioned defense of John Adams would prove critical in swaying the jury.

It didn't matter, though. The Boston Massacre would prove critical in swaying American attitudes, as colonists became increasingly critical of British authority (and authoritarianism) which had begun to assert itself in the wake of the French and Indian War. John Adams' brother, Samuel Adams, had watched the events in Corsica with much interest, and had come to admire the highly liberal constitution implemented there. Indeed, recognizing that the Corsican Constitution was modeled on the rights seemingly promised to each and every Briton, regardless of whether they were in Europe or the Americas, Adams and his colleagues regarded that document as an enumeration of British rights as much as it was one of Corsican ones.

"The brave people of that small, fair isle," as stated in an anonymous broadsheet which made the rounds across the colonies, "have collected the liberties promised to each and every Englishman and shown their triumph over tyranny. So then why do those brave Corsicans benefit from such liberties while Englishmen in these colonies do not?" Corsica was a favorite topic of the Committees of Correspondence set up by Sam Adams and his compatriots. Corsica seemed an elysium of freedoms, a place where God-given rights were explicitly protected by the government, and became something of a goal to aspire to for some Americans.

Increasing American radicalism, spurred on by "those gallant Corsicans," would be met in turn by what they perceived to be increasing British repression. In time these two camps would prove unable, or unwilling, to work out their differences, and war would explode on the American continent. The consequences for world history would be immeasurable.

1670505149273.png

[...] the woman said, "the soldiers were in the right;" adding, "that before Tuesday or Wednesday night they would wet their swords or bayonets in New England people's blood.
-A Short Narrative of the Horrid Massacre in Boston, 1770

Last edited:
I hope that Spain does not explode as happens in 90% of other TLs or at least Spain keeps its loyal colonies (Peru-Nueva España) while deciding to give independence to the rebellious ones like Rio de la Plata and Nueva Granada on the condition of having one of Fernando brothers as King.

Looks promising, watched!

I suspect France was heading towards some sort of dictatorship without Napoleon, but it certainly didn't need to take a surprisingly successful stab at conquering the continent.
A republican revolution in France is still very plausible all the underlying causes of the revolution are still there

Last edited:
Watched! A bit interested on how this will impact Brazil, as Spain seems to be exploding. Maybe Portugal annexes some Rio da Prata lands?

Loving the timeline. I only have one suggestion for it.

Please Threadmark your chapters.

Otherwise, great chapter.

Thank you!

I'll get right on that... I was thinking, I'll start adding thread marks once I actually have more than one post, and then here we are and I forgot!

And the French dictator would probably be someone who would maintain the trappings of the Republic, ruling over a "republican dictatorship" ala Cromwell before him instead of becoming Emperor.

Part 3: Stone Free
Headersmall2.png
"In the 17th Chapter of St Luke it is written: “the Kingdom of God is within man” - not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power - the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure."

-Charlie Chaplin, 1940

Part 3: "Stone Free"
The Atlantic Revolutions begin; or, a consideration of sedition

Plate_III%2C_The_Engagement_at_Concord%2C_Amos_Doolittle_engravings_of_the_Battle_of_Lexington_and_Concord%2C_December_1775%2C_reprint_by_Charles_E._Goodspeed%2C_Boston%2C_1903_-_Concord_Museum_-_Concord%2C_MA_-_DSC05586.JPG

The Engagement at Concord, Amos Doolittle engravings of the Battle of Lexington and Concord, December 1775, 1903 reprint

Excerpt from: The Atlantic Revolutions, 1765-1805, by Albrecht von Closen IV, 1916.

The antecedents of the French Revolution are often overlooked as mere prelude to the 'big event,' as it were, but any thorough understanding of the Revolution which overtook Paris in the waning days of the 1780s requires an equally thorough knowledge of the events which it drew upon for inspiration. In the three decades, give or take, before the French Revolution, great rumblings of what was to come could be felt as a new generation of political and military leaders, steeped in the ideals of the enlightenment, came of age and began to pursue those same ideals with great vigour.

As examined in the prior chapter, the intellectual underpinnings of what would come after were laid largely on the tiny island of Corsica, in the Western Mediterranean, a sea of little importance in terms of resources or military strategy, but a place with an outsized influence on the history of the continent, and the world. The genuine success of a largely enlightened, democratic revolution, with the assistance of a theoretically anti-revolutionary foreign patron, would inform very many leaders to come. The small peoples of the world realized with a start that their aims could be achieved by and through the games the Great Powers played on the geopolitical chessboard, and that the choice of a good friend could result in success.

Not every revolution of the period succeeded, of course. Uprisings in the Netherlands and in New Granada failed to achieve their aims, and the astoundingly large revolt of Pugachev in Russia [1], after some initial success, was repressed. However, the intellectual legacy left behind by these revolts and others would be carried forward by others in the years to come, and thus in a roundabout way they were not complete failures. [...]

The opportunity for Paris finally came about in 1775, as colonists in the British Colonies along the Eastern Seaboard of North America rose in open revolt. Unrest had been brewing there for a decade or more, depending on who one asks: some scholars point to the Proclamation Line of 1763, others to the Quebec Act in 1774. Others still regard the seeds of the Revolution to have been planted even before '63, perhaps becoming inevitable as soon as the first colonists set up the first democratically elected assembly on the Continent. Others still point to the fact that as late as mid-1776, the demands of the Continental Congress were quite Conservative and ultimately did not call for independence, but rather a re-balancing of the relationship between the Colonies and the Metropole.

Regardless, rising tensions finally broke out into open conflict with the Battles of Lexington and Concord, names well-known to any United Stater schoolchild [2], though even after blood was shed the Continental Congress sent the so-called Olive Branch Petition to London. However, the North Ministry and the King openly rebuked any efforts towards reconciliation, and by August of 1775 Parliament had declared the Colonies to be in a state of rebellion. To be fair, while the Colonists did still claim they acted in defense of their rights as Englishmen, at this point colonist-created alternate governments had already overtaken those governors appointed by London, and war was taken by both sides to be essentially inevitable. It was perhaps a natural progression from outright rebellion to a Declaration of Independence, and within a year the political character of the war took on a bold new dimension.

The parallels to Corsica were not lost on Paris, and Foreign Minister Comte de Vergennes very quickly realized the potential to get some small measure of revenge on Britain for the past decade of humiliations. Support to the Revolutionaries began hesitantly, but the surprising United Stater victory defending Fort Ticonderoga in 1777 [3] convinced Paris that the United States could prove a viable ally. Recognition soon followed, and by the end of that same year a formal alliance was concluded between the nascent United States and the Kingdom of France, marking the beginning of the Six Years War.

image.png

The Six Years War, despite technically lasting more than 9 years, is named as such as it only took on its global character with the full entrance of France into the war, alongside its international partners in Spain, the Dutch Republic, and the Kingdom of Mysore in Southern India. Escalating what was a Colonial revolt into a greater war was a calculated risk by the Comte de Vergennes, who had generally spearheaded entering on the side of the United States; it would prove an excellent calculation, as the Franco-American coalition would achieve some measure of victory on nearly every front. However, the scale of victory varied wildly depending on which theatre was considered:

On the North American continent proper, British control had nearly completely collapsed, and a stunning victory at Gloucester Point, Virginia with the surrender of the Earl Cornwallis catapulted the upstart United States into the ranks of independent countries. Some fifteen thousand kilometers away, East India Company control of the Madras Presidency completely collapsed as a successful Mysorean offensive pushed the British out of Southern India for good.[4]

Battle-of-Bunkers-Hill-by-Trumbull-1786-detail-Yale-1024x854.jpg

The Battle of Bunker’s Hill, June 17, 1775
John Trumbull, 1786

On the other hand, the goals of the Spanish and the French were left largely unaccomplished. Spain had entered into the war, despite it's hesitancy to back an independent republic in the Americas, and walked away only with the recapture of Minorca. While it had come close, the Great Siege of Gibraltar had failed, and efforts to gain territory in North America had been frustrated by back-channel negotiations granting the United States control up to the Mississippi, though control of East and West Florida would be regained by Madrid. Cold comfort!

France, hoping to reverse some of the losses of the Seven Years' War, had received only the tiny islands of Grenada and Tobago [5]. It was hoped that the capture of Jamaica would help Paris recoup the massive debt it would build up at war, yet French forces failed to capture the island from the British. The British, while humbled, had not been wholly humiliated, and would gain revenge upon America in a mere few decades. France, for its efforts, had been essentially bankrupted, and domestic unrest was gradually increasing as the financial situation at home grew worse.

For the average Frenchman or Frenchwoman, the Six Years' War raised many questions. Why was the Kingdom of France supporting the birth of a democratic republic abroad while still essentially an absolute monarchy at home? Why had blood and gold been spent with so little in return? What sense did it make to sacrifice lives and treasure on the United States when the average Parisian was starving?

These questions would become all the more pressing in the years to come.

Excerpt from: Russia and the Caucasus, a history, by Gerard Keay, 2001

[...] yet the extent to which knowledge of the Corsican or United Stater Revolutions spread outside of the upper-class or intelligentsia is impossible to precisely determine. As with many nomadic societies, literacy was not very high, and the difficult terrain of the Caucasus made the spread of foreign news fairly difficult. However, it is known that some Abadzekhs peasant leaders were aware of the Corsican revolution, and some accounts from the period record some degree of reference to a notion of popular sovereignty a United Stater or Corsican revolutionary would find familiar. Formal references to United Stater or Corsican ideals would only be recorded with the ascension of Kizbech Tughuzhuqo to leadership in Circassia. Yet Tughuzhugo himself would refer to these ideals as having been rooted in what one translator records as "ideals of my forefathers and fellow-tribesmen."

%C5%9Eehsuvar%2C_wife_of_Abdulmecid.jpg

Haremde Goethe
Painted by Abdul Mecid bin Abdul Aziz, depicting his Circassian wife reading Goethe, 1898.

Regardless, it cannot be denied that the Circassian Revolution [6] was very much in the same tradition as the Atlantic Revolutions of the time. Of course, it was not known as such at the time. Today called "the Circassian Revolution," this monolithic title does not reflect the gradualist reality of the change that overcame Circassia from around 1770 to the late 1790s. As noted, the Abadzekh Tribe was the first to undergo some degree of societal upheaval, with peasant leaders successfully overthrowing their tribal noblemen, and slaughtering them before they could escape across the border into Russia. The movement, as it were, would spread to the Natukhaj, to the Shapsug (during which the 18 year old Prince Kizbech Tughuzhuqo would eschew his fellow nobility and join the peasants), and eventually to what would become the twelve provinces of modern-day Circassia.

The Ottomans, as usual, were hesitant patrons of the revolts. The Russians, distracted by Pugachev's colossal Rebellion for nearly the entirety of the 1770s, would prove unable to benefit from the early chaos of the Revolution, despite their interests in the region. The Crimeans, undergoing their own successful upheavals at the time, were broadly supportive, despite the Crimean-Circassian Wars that had gone on during the past decade. The centralisation and consolidation of the Circassian tribes which would take place over the next decades was by no means an inevitability at this point, but the seeds had been well sown. [...]

Excerpt from: A Girl from Grão-Pará, a Documentary of Self, directed Márcia Wayna Kambeba, 2001. [7]

[...] learning in school about Túpac Amaru II [8] was when I first began to really think about my identity as an indigenous South American. Before then, everything I learned was Brazil, Brazil, Brazil! (laughs). I was Brazilian, you know, my family was Brazilian...

But then, you know, I start learning in secondary school about the history of the continent, about Tawantinsuyu.... I was just shocked, you know? I just thought, well, there can't be anything outside of Brazil! (laughs) But here's this indigenous man, another South American just like meu papai, who stood up for his people, who fought on behalf of both men and women, who put his wife in charge of a battalion of rebels? I was just star-struck... it even made me like my British friends more, since apparently Britain had been pretty important to the rebellion succeeding. Really, more than anything, I wanted to visit Tawantinsuyu, I thought I could meet someone like him. I would, years later, go there, but I didn't meet the sapa! (laughs) I just ended up eating a lot of chicha [9] and trying quwi [10] for the first time. Not bad, if I remember correctly! (laughs) [...]

Acuarela_de_T%C3%BApac_Amaru_II_crop.jpg

Watercolor portraying José Gabriel Condorcanqui, alias Túpac Amaru II
Unknown artist, c. 1784–1806

Notes

[1]: All real events, though ITTL Pugachev's Rebellion is far larger than IOTL. Chalk it up to having more inspiration, particularly from Corsica.

[2]: Though these sections are not excerpts from in-universe books, they are still narrated from in-universe, if that makes any sense. The demonym "American" is not widely used ITTL; thus, these narrated sections do not use the term "American." The reasons for this will become clear.

[3]: Parallel to OTL Battle of Saratoga. British Campaign in Northern New York moves to recapture Fort Ticonderoga to support their push into New England and the Middle Colonies. American (and Vermonter) defenders successfully hold out, and a relief force takes the Brits by surprise.

[4]: Here's what I suppose is the first really big butterfly outside of Europe. IOTL, the Mysorean campaign failed to follow up on a major victory at Pollilur. Here, they do.

[5]: Outside of India, Grenada is the only difference between OTL and TTL Treaty of Paris.

[6]: A real event, though expanded upon thanks to butterflies.

[7]: Real-life indigenous poet from Brazil. Don't think she's made any documentaries IOTL, but.... butterflies!

[8]: Another real thing, in the same vein as [6].

[9]: A type of fermented beverage made by the Incas.

[10]: Quechua term for Guinea Pigs. Yes, the Incas domesticated Guinea Pigs to eat them. Apparently they're quite good!

Last edited: