The World of Ross Perot: The Official "A Giant Sucking Sound" FanFic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always confused by the thing with David Duke.Don't get me wrong,I'm not being an apologist for the guy,but he's always denounced violence and his whole appeal is based on challenging the idea that white nationalists are all cruel,ignorant a-holes.Personally,he's apparently a really nice guy.Which makes him all the more terrifying-he's not a sadist or sociopath,he's not inherently evil,he genuinely believes everything he does is for the greater good-and he's a neo -Nazi.If he weren't the last thing he'd be a straight-up hero.
Dude, people are onions, they all got layers.

I was always confused by the thing with David Duke.Don't get me wrong,I'm not being an apologist for the guy,but he's always denounced violence and his whole appeal is based on challenging the idea that white nationalists are all cruel,ignorant a-holes.Personally,he's apparently a really nice guy.Which makes him all the more terrifying-he's not a sadist or sociopath,he's not inherently evil,he genuinely believes everything he does is for the greater good-and he's a neo -Nazi.If he weren't the last thing he'd be a straight-up hero.

Well, speaking as the writer of the thing, when you deny Holocaust, hail Hitler as a hero, promote the supremacy of the white race and hate over Jews and African Americans, that's also violence, not the physical one, but still violence. Duke had (and still has) exceptional charisma among the far right and saw the appeal of elective politics for the far right if they were well-policed. But you can spray make-up and put a cool hat over a cow, it will still be a cow.

dcd

Banned
Well, speaking as the writer of the thing, when you deny Holocaust, hail Hitler as a hero, promote the supremacy of the white race and hate over Jews and African Americans, that's also violence, not the physical one, but still violence. Duke had (and still has) exceptional charisma among the far right and saw the appeal of elective politics for the far right if they were well-policed. But you can spray make-up and put a cool hat over a cow, it will still be a cow.
Has he ever actually denied the Holocaust or promoted hate for other races,however?I thought he was always careful to avoid doing that(whether this is out of belief or pragmatism is an eternal mystery).

As I feel we're seeing more and more of Trump presidency here, I'd like to discuss into the specifics of his removal.

There what MaskedPickle said in the original thread (p 63, post 1258) :

Per se, it looks like a military coup, but wouldn't it be more natural to see this as part of a call upon section IV of the 25th amendment whereas the President is removed by a vote of the cabinet, a more natural or plausible way?
Maybe Shinseki is instrumental in convincing the Cabinet to vote against Trump.
I speak of that because a coup as it sounds would be very bad a precedent and constitutionally, politically and morally questionable.
But if I'm wrong, I'd still like to learn how, even in the midst of a major nuclear crisis, the Army would come to turn its back on two centuries of tradition and overthrow an constitutionally elected president.

Plus, as I read again the TL, I came across that passage of the second post :
That's technically canon, and from the indications provided after the TL's end, we can identify the first Jewish president as being Russ Feingold, Richards and Pelosi as the female presidents, but so far, no African American president precised.
As it's canon, I've come a way of conciliating this apparent contradiction with an hypothesis that may seemingly contradict the handwave description of Trump's removal as quoted above but also may be understood under a different angle.
Well, the most likely candidate for African American president is, I'm sure everybody already know, Hill Harper. Still, he is frequently referred to in a CNN interview from 2011 as a former vice president.
So, to concile the removal of Trump description and this, I would see that Hill Harper didn't resign outright but served a short while as Acting President following the cabinet vote, maybe followed by Trump being brought to a remote place 'for his protection' to avoid a come back, then Harper resigned to let Pelosi become Acting President before Congress voted on permanently removing Trump.

It's scary when life begins imitating art....

Jeb Bush, Michael Steele, and the Rise of Compassionate Conservatism (Part 1): Zombie Republicans
@MaskedPickle posts indicated that the TTL GOP had become increasingly diverse and multicultural. I mean, Clarence Thomas was the Republican nominee in 2004.

But there wasn't really an in-depth look at this transformation of the Grand Old Party, and I want to explore how the party really would change in response to far-right terrorism, the rise of a centrist political party, the horrible death of George H.W. Bush, and being locked out of the Presidency for 20 years . And how the changes would result in Jeb getting the keys to the car in 2012.

------

Once again, Juan Perot [1] has gained another horseman: Lowell P. Weicker, or should I say, Whiner, of Connecticut.

Of course, it's no surprise that Whiner would be an accolade of the Liar-in-Chief. Perot's so-called Freedom Party is the Treason party, making a deal with Saddam to destroy the career of the great martyr and patriot George Bush. It is also the Liar Party, claiming to defend the right to bear arms and then plotting insiduously to take America's guns away.

No wonder Whiner feels right at home. He betrayed the great Richard Nixon, repaying him by calling for his impeachment[2]. He backstabbed the illustrious Bush family, wearing the clothes of a proud conservative [3], while being too liberal even for the somewhat less nutty Democrats [4], as if that's a high bar. Then like Juan Perot, he ran for governor of Connecticut on a bunch of hot air. He promised not to raise taxes, and like the liar he did, forced an income tax on the hardworking Yankees.

Whiner should find rest. Preferably in a nice pine box, and put himself out to pasture like the zombie from the liberal age he truly is.

-Excerpt from Rush Limbaugh Show, September 26, 1993

Zombie Republican is a term to describe liberal to moderate Republican politicians who became outsiders or outright defected from the GOP to the Freedom Party over the course of the 1990s.

Origins

The term "Zombie Republican" originated from Rush Limbaugh, in which he castigated Connecticut Governor Lowell Weicker as a "zombie" for switching to the Freedom Party.

The term gained even more traction, in a non-pejorative sense, as many older Republican politicians became Freedomites or believed the GOP was becoming too extremist.
-Excerpt from Zombie Republican page on commonpedia.com

"I've always been on the side of common sense," Goldwater mutters when asked about leaving his party.

30 years after his failed bid for the Presidency began the Republican Party's conservative shift, Goldwater finds himself in new political company: the Freedomites, campaigning with ex-Republican congressman Jim Kolbe [5]. The former Republican icon has become one of many Republicans who are fleeing from the GOP and its increasingly right wing agenda. However, the former Senator claims he didn't leave the Republican Party.

"You can't leave what's already dead," Goldwater quips. "When you say Republicans, all I see are money-making schemes by these charlatans calling themselves Christians who think they can impose their will on others." [6]

-Mr. Conservative Dives Headfirst Toward Center, Washington Post, August 12, 1994.

"(Gov. Wilson) is condemning the GOP to a slow and painful death," said Jack Kemp. "If we don't want the Freedomites to take us over, we need to be seen as a the party of inclusion, not scapegoating".

Former Secretary of Housing Jack Kemp blasts Proposition 187, New York Times, October 10, 1994. [7]

[1] Considering Limbaugh's penchant for...colorful nicknames, I figured he would also give one to Perot, blaming him, as many OTL conservatives did, for "costing" Bush Sr. Considering Bush's TTL demise, Republicans would be eager to blame Perot even more. Juan Peron references Perot's eccentric populism by comparing him to the Argentine autocrat.

[2] Nixon had helped back Weicker's Senate election, only for Weicker to castigate him over the Watergate scandal. Something that didn't endear him to many conservatives.

[3] The Bush family was so exasperated with Weicker, they tried to push him out in the 1982 Republican Senate primaries.

[4] Lieberman toppled Weicker by being more conservative than him in the 1988 Senate election.even getting an endorsement from William F. Buckley despite being a Democrat.

[5] Jim Kolbe was a Republican Congressman who later came out as gay in 1996. He quit the GOP in OTL 2018, making Masked Pickle's TTL version of him as a Republican defector into a prediction.

[6] By this time, Barry Goldwater had not only became estranged from the Republican Party, he was openly campaigning for Democratic politicians in Arizona, even supporting a medical marijuana measure. I am paraphrasing a quote in which he more or less accused the GOP of being a front group for televangelism.

[7] Proposition 187 was a California ballot measure that sought to curb illegal immigration. While it passed with a strong majority, several court rulings barred its implementation. It is said to be the thing that drove the California GOP into utter obscurity by alienating Hispanic voters, which is why OTL Jack Kemp was also opposed to it.

Nobel Peace Prize laureates. Might be a few continuous selections but then it wouldn’t be a Nobel Peace Prize list, would it? :p

1993: Nelson Mandela and F. W. de Klerk (South Africa) “for their work for the peaceful termination of the apartheid regime, and for laying the foundations for a new democratic South Africa”

1994: Manolis Glezos (Greece) “for his work in protesting the Axis Powers and later the Greek Military Junta, at the great risk of his life, and his continued efforts to ensure that democracy reigns in Greece”

1995: No award given in response to Nagoya terrorist attack

1996: Joseph Rotblat (Poland) and Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs (Canada) “for their efforts to diminish the part played by nuclear arms in international politics and, in the longer run, to eliminate such arms”

1997: Pope John Paul II (Vatican City/Poland) “for his promotion of democracy and his vocal criticism of the evils of war, genocide, racism, authoritarianism, capital punishment, and organized crime”

1998: Cindy Duehring (United States) “for putting her personal tragedy at the service of humanity by educating on and combating the usages of toxic pesticides that threaten human health” *

*Notably could not attend the ceremony due to an autoimmune disorder, award was accepted by her husband

1999: Evaristo Nugkuag (Peru) and Raoni Metuktire (Brazil) “for their efforts to protect the indigenous peoples of the Amazon Rainforest and preserve its cultural and environmental heritage”

2000: David Lange (New Zealand) “for making New Zealand a nuclear-free zone as Prime Minister and continuing to push for the international eradication of nuclear weapons”

2001: Peace Brigades International (International) “for their brave volunteer work in providing protection to those threatened by political violence”

2002: András Bíró (Hungary) “for his efforts in ending the discrimination and inequality that effects Hungary’s Romani population”

2003: Richard Holbrooke (United States) “for his massive efforts in securing peace in South Asia and preventing the outbreak of nuclear war”

2004: Preah Maha Ghosananda (Cambodia) “for aiding the spiritual restoration of post-Khmer Rouge Cambodia”

2005: Sergei Kovalev (Russia) “for his unwavering criticism of the Zhirinovsky regime and its crimes against humanity, at great personal risk to his life”

2006: Zackie Achmat (South Africa) “for his criticism of the South African government’s response to the HIV/AIDS pandemic and his work in ensuring that scientifically sound medical treatment is available for all”

2007: Sheila Watt-Cloutier (Canada) “for her efforts in combating the unique social and environmental challenges that affect the Arctic and the Inuit people”

2008: Lady Fatima, formerly Princess Diana (Egypt/United Kingdom) “for her bravery and effort in pushing for peace in the Middle East, the removal of land mines, and destigmatizing HIV/AIDS and leprosy”

2009: Martín Almada (Paraguay) “for his efforts in exposing human rights abuses in the Americas under Operation Condor, his firm commitment against torture, and his outstanding courage in his attempts to bring war criminals to justice”

2010: Bill Gates and Melinda Gates (United States) “for their massive global philanthropy and advocacy of modern technology to fight disease, end hunger, sanitize water, and provide free education”

2011: Helen Prejean (United States) “for her gallant efforts protesting the use of capital punishment in the United States”

2012: Abdul Sattar Edhi (Pakistan) “for his lifelong humanitarian work, providing critical care and infrastructure to the needy across Pakistan and the world”

2013: René Ngongo (Democratic Republic of The Congo) “for his work in protecting the natural heritage of the Congolese jungles from deforestation”

2014: Masoud Barzani and Leyla Zana (Kurdistan) “for their work in establishing democracy in the newly-formed state of Kurdistan and their relentless push for justice for Kurds murdered and oppressed by the Turkish and Iraqi regimes”

2015: Kasha Nabagesera (Uganda) “for her tireless efforts, at great risk to her life, to protect the LGBT people of Uganda from government oppression and violence”

2016: Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke (Canada) “for their work in ensuring the recognition of the fundamental human right to water”

2017: Crown Princess Masako (Japan) “for her work in ensuring that Nagoya’s Hibakusha are provided government-mandated healthcare and anti-discrimination protections”

2018: Denis Mukwege (Kivu) and Nadia Murad (Iraq) “for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict”

2019: Marina Silva (Brazil) “for her efforts in promoting democracy, anti-corruption, and environmentalism as the President of Brazil”

2020: Mikis Theodorakis (Greece) “for his decades of political activism supporting social justice, democracy, anti-fascism, and peace”

2021: Victor Ochen (Uganda) “for his vigorous work to end the usage of child soldiers across Africa”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.