The World of Ross Perot: The Official "A Giant Sucking Sound" FanFic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how anime would look at the Nagoya getting destroyed, especially like Gundam and eventually Naruto (I mean it be interesting to see a similar thing in Naruto showing Konoha getting destroyed by a powerful blast similar to Pain, but combined with radiation).

I get the impression that Hiroshima and Nagasaki are touchy subjects in Japan, but
I don't know enough about the culture there to understand the impact of a peacetime nuclear attack.

Also I wonder how would anime would respond and depict terrorism that was running rampant in the US during the 90's especially Stormfront.

Perhaps Japan, like America post-9/11 OTL, has a lot more terrorist action shows. ITTL, American culture has been sharply impacted by far-right terrorism (as many Hollywood legends were straight up murdered).

Perhaps there are a lot more shows in Japan that deal with "terrorist scum."

I wonder how anime would look at the Nagoya getting destroyed, especially like Gundam and eventually Naruto (I mean it be interesting to see a similar thing in Naruto showing Konoha getting destroyed by a powerful blast similar to Pain, but combined with radiation).

Also I wonder how would anime would respond and depict terrorism that was running rampant in the US during the 90's especially Stormfront.

Was addressed in original TL!

"And this news comes with the release in Blu-Ray Format of Barefoot Gen, the cult 1998 anime engaged against nuclear destruction, an animated adaptation of Keiji Nazakawa’s manga on the dealings of a young Hiroshima survivor, co-produced on the wake of the Nagoya Disaster by well-known cartoonists Hayao Miyazaki, Mamoru Oshii and Hideaki Anno. It was also the directorial debut for the late Satoshi Kon, and remains the only animated film to have received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, before the Best Animated Feature award was created."
-Times, April, 11 2011

This is a really fascinating update about the effects of Nagoya on the world. In fact, it has inspired me to contribute something related to Nagoya on my own.

In your headcanon, when did the Simpsons end ITTL, and what was the series finale about?

Because the PoD for this TL was 1992, it's easy to imagine the series going out on top.
I imagine it ends after 10 seasons in 1999/doesn't exist in the year 2000.
Maybe to tie in with the darker culture of the time, Homer screws up Y2K like in the Halloween episode, but it's more darkly comic than straight up bleak.

VH1'S Behind the Laughter: Comedians Off Stage-Episode 10, Chris Farley
Like all good TLs, somethings go good, and some things go bad. I've decided there will be a bright spot in this TL: the survival of one of the most tragically departed comedians in American history.

This was inspired by the documentary, the Dark Side of Comedy.

VH1'S Behind the Laughter
[1]: Comedians Back Stage- Episode 10, Chris Farley

Airdate, March 10, 2006

upload_2019-7-16_14-14-47.jpeg

Narration: In January 1997, Beverly Hills Ninja was released, but while it was a box office hit, critics condemned the film and Farley's performance as dime store comedy. These bad reviews sent Chris [2] on a collision course with his greatest vice: drugs.

Chris Farley (somber): The critics words would...hit me like they were bullets. Because of that, I was doing all kinds of things...I shouldn't...

Andy Dick: He was going to drug parties, he was hanging out with prostitutes, he was drinking like crazy.

Narration: However, Chris was pulled back from the brink by a shockwave that rocked the Hollywood industry.

(footage of the Spielberg compound surrounded by police, footage of Spielberg's funeral)

Chris Farley (sad): Spielberg was a giant. No one expected him to die so soon. So when they killed him, it made me realize (he tries to hold back tears) I didn't want to end up in an early grave.

Narration: On May 10, 1997, Farley took a break from acting, and checked himself into a rehab center near Chicago. After 10 months of military grade rehab, he was declared clean.

(Footage of Chris happily leaving rehab)

In 1999, he would embark on one of the biggest career shifts in Hollywood history when the critically acclaimed animated feature Shrek came out. In his new role, Farley revealed the tender vulnerability that had dogged him all his life. [3]

Charna Halpern (Improv Director): Watching that was like a shock to me.

(Footage of Shrek)

Charna Halpern: He showed the world he could truly shine and be more then just the dumb fat guy.

Narration: But his biggest break would come in 2002, when he received the role of a lifetime: an autobiographical tale of the ill-fated Hollywood legend, Fatty Arbuckle [4].

upload_2019-7-16_14-9-2.jpeg

Farley: I really saw a lot of myself in Arbuckle. A dude who was picked on for how he looked, you know.

(Footage of the movie People v. Arbuckle)

Narration: The pain and tragedy of Arbuckle's life that Farley expressed would lead to an unexpected surprise.

(Footage of the 2003 Oscars)

Announcer: And the best Oscar goes to...Chris Farley

(footage of applause and Chris Farley getting his Oscar at the podium)

Andy Dick (sadly): People say fame can kill you, but I really think winning that Oscar saved Chris' life. He proved he wasn't some slob.

(Footage of Chris being hugged by his family)

[1] Guess what this is a reference too.

[2] People say this is what drove him off the wagon: the idea he could only play a clumsy slob. My belief was that if he had hung in, and gotten a more "respectable" role, he might have been able to control his insecurities.

[3] Farley was originally going to play Shrek. Here is some recordings of him as Shrek if you are interested.

[4] He was actually planning to do this.

Senate vote on the 2006 American invasion of Cuba:
Senate vote on the 2006 American invasion of Cuba:

"Should the United States invade Cuba under the guidelines of this proposed legislation?"

The senate approved the war with 58 votes "yes". The 44 "no" votes consisted of 32 Democrats, 11 Freedomites, and 1 Republican. Thus, the United States Military sent out to capture Raul Castro and "liberate" their southern neighbor.

Alabama:
Fob James (R): Yeah
Jeff Sessions (R): Yeah

Alaska:
Mike Gravel (F): Nah
Ted Stevens (R): Yeah

Arizona:
Jon Kyl (R): Yeah
John McCain (F): Yeah

Arkansas:
Jim Holt (R): Yeah
Mike Huckabee (R): Yeah

California:
Barbara Boxer (D): Nah
Pete Ueberroth (F): Yeah

Colorado:
Pete Coors (F): Yeah
Tom Strickland (D): Nah

Connecticut:
Ralph Nader (F): Nah
Lowell Weicker (F): Nah

Delaware:
Joe Biden (D): Nah
Tom Carper (D): Nah

Florida:
Bill Nelson (D): Nah
Alex Penelas (F): Yeah

Georgia:
Bob Barr (R): Yeah
Johnny Isakson (R): Yeah

Hawaii:
Daniel Akaka (D): Nah
Daniel Inouye (D): Nah

Idaho:
Larry Craig (R): Yeah
Dirk Kempthorne (R): Yeah

Illinois:
Peter Fitzgerald (R): Yeah
Hillary Rodham (D): Nah

Indiana:
Evan Bayh (D): Nah
Dan Quayle (R): Yeah

Iowa:
Chet Culver (D): Nah
Tom Vilsack (D): Nah

Kansas:
Sam Brownback (R): Yeah
Todd Tiahrt (R): Yeah

Kentucky:
Gary Bauer (R): Yeah
Mitch McConnell (R): Yeah

Louisiana:
Woody Jenkins (R): Yeah
Bobby Jindal (R): Yeah

Maine:
Joe Brennan (D): Nah
Olympia Snowe (F): Yeah

Maryland:
Barbara Mikulski (D): Nah
Paul Sarbanes (D): Nah

Massachusetts:
Ted Kennedy (D): Nah
Sam Waterston (F): Nah

Michigan:
Dennis Archer (F): Yeah
Carl Levin (D): Nah

Minnesota:
Dean Barkley (F): Nah
Tim Penny (F): Yeah

Missouri:
Kit Bond (R): Yeah
Mel Carnahan (D): Nah

Mississippi:
Thad Cochran (R): Yeah
Trent Lott (R): Yeah

Montana:
Dennis Rehnberg (R): Yeah
Brian Schweitzer (F): Yeah

Nebraska:
Ben Nelson (F): Yeah
Don Stenberg (R): Yeah

Nevada:
John Ensign (R): Yeah
James B. Gibson (D): Nah

New Hampshire:
Judd Gregg (F): Yeah
John E. Sununu (R): Yeah

New Jersey:
Bob Franks (F): Yeah
Steve Lonegan (F): Yeah

New Mexico:
Pete Dominici (R): Yeah
Gary Johnson (R): Nah

New York:
Andrew Cuomo (D): Nah
Randi Weingarten (F): Nah

North Carolina:
Elizabeth Dole (R): Yeah
John Edwards (D): Nah

North Dakota:
Kent Conrad (F): Nah
Byron Dorgan (D): Nah

Ohio:
Bernadine Healy (F): Yeah
George Voinovich (R): Yeah

Oklahoma:
David L. Boren (F): Yeah
Brad Carson (F): Yeah

Oregon:
Vicki Walker (F): Nah
Ron Wyden (D): Nah

Pennsylvania:
Rick Santorum (R): Yeah
Arlen Specter (F): Yeah

Puerto Rico:
Aníbal Acevedo Vilá (D): Nah
Sila María Calderón (D): Nah

Rhode Island:
Lincoln Chafee (F): Nah
Jack Reed (D): Nah

South Carolina:
Jim De Mint (R): Yeah
Lindsay Graham (F): Yeah

South Dakota:
Steve T. Kirby (R): Yeah
Larry Pressler (R): Yeah

Tennessee:
Bill Frist (R): Yeah
Al Gore (D): Nah

Texas:
Ron Paul (F): Nah
Nolan Ryan (F): Yeah

Utah:
Bob Bennett (R): Yeah
Jon Huntsman (F): Yeah

Vermont:
Jim Jeffords (F): Nah
Patrick Leahy (D): Nah

Virginia:
George Allen (R): Yeah
Mark Warner (D): Nah

Washington:
Dino Rossi (F): Yeah
Ron Sims (D): Nah

West Virginia:
Robert Byrd (D): Nah
Jay Rockefeller (D): Nah

Wisconsin:
Russ Feingold (D): Nah
Tommy Thompson (R): Yeah

Wyoming:
John Barrasso (R): Yeah
Craig L. Thomas (R): Yeah

Last edited:
1992 United States Presidential Election
I noticed a few days ago there actually any wikibox for the TL US presidential elections. So I've begun to do some.
Here's 1992.

1992ElectionATL.png

1996 United States Presidential Election
And there is 1996

1996ElectionATL.png

Note: Since I've not found in the TL exact numbers cited for turnout and exact number of voters, I just applied the same turnouts as OTL elections and roughly applied the percentages given in the TL.

Last edited:
Fmr. Gov. Donald Trump (F-NY)/Sen. Hill Harper (F-IA) : 204 electoral votes, 19 states and Nebraska’s At-Large, First and Third Districts carried
Vice President Bob Graham (D-FL)/Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) : 197 electoral votes, 13 states and D.C. carried,
Fmr. SCOTUS Associate Justice Clarence Thomas (R-GA)/Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN) : 137 electoral votes, 18 states carried and Nebraska’s Second District carried

NO MAJORITY REACHED. VOTE THROWN TO THE CONGRESS ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION.

2004-png.207107
I also got a little problem there. While checking on 270towin on the 2004 map, if I get 204 EVs for Trump (adding the 7 EVs of Puerto Rico), though the number of states carried is right, the sum is not right.
I get 169 EVs for Thomas and 172 for Graham, not 137 and 197.
270towin-2004.PNG

May have some ideas for this. First, some help. List of Russian Presidents, since one idea may involve Russian politicians.

A list of US Presidents and VP's starting from Ross, to refresh my memory?

May have some ideas for this. First, some help. List of Russian Presidents, since one idea may involve Russian politicians.

A list of US Presidents and VP's starting from Ross, to refresh my memory?

1993-1997: Ross Perot/Jerry Brown

1997-2003-Ann Richards/Bob Kerrey

2003-2005: Bob Kerrey/Bob Graham

2005-2007: Donald Trump/Hill Harper

2007-2009: Nancy Pelosi/ N/A

2009-2013: Russ Feingold/ N/A

2013-2017: Jeb Bush/ N/A

2017-Present: Ben Affleck

Status
Not open for further replies.