The world of Harry Turtledove's Atlantis.

I have to imagine some of those islands between Atlantis and South America and Atlantis and Europe and Africa (like the Azores and Cape Verdes) are hotly contested at different time.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I agree but its also hard to imagine that by the 20th Century the Atlantic Ocean wasnt an Atlantian lake.

I have to imagine some of those islands between Atlantis and South America and Atlantis and Europe and Africa (like the Azores and Cape Verdes) are hotly contested at different time.

Honestly I've never given much thought to what this world must look like. I read the books but that was it. I'm glad somebody is devoting fan fiction to the issue.

Consider that the 1910s/1920s were rife with violence in Mexico. Mexican rebels were crossing the border north, and this was a violent period known for the "Cristero War", wherein the government was cracking down on the influence of the Roman Catholic Church. That alone would spark some changes.

Also consider Alayeska as home to the exiled Mensheviks or Bolsheviks, who would certainly clash with Mexico along the Oregon border...

TomNolan

Banned
It's hard to say what it will be like in 2020. Reading books develops my imagination, but moving on to real things and assessing the situation, it's hard for me to say. This world is filled with worry, anxiety, and depression. Where do these thoughts come from? I'm studying to be a psychologist and I often write different materials. When doing this assignment, I am helped by the website https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/catcher-in-the-rye/ , which bails me out every time I write essays and reports. Just like that, on this website, I found free samples of essays on the topic of сatcher in the rye, which describes thoughts about social anxiety and other things. I would also like to add that the history of the world is changeable, but many facts are repeated over and over again. It's hard to say what he'll be like in 2020. Reading books develops my imagination, but getting down to real things and assessing the situation, it's hard for me to say.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
It's hard to say what he'll be like in 2020. Reading books develops my imagination, but getting down to real things and assessing the situation, it's hard for me to say.
There is really room for alot more with these probably even more than his TL-191 and Invasion/Colonization books. Hopefully he may get around to it one day...

Any other ideas about this world ?

Well for a start, reading OPENING ATLANTIS makes me wonder how different the end of the Cousin's War (more popularly the Wars of the Roses) must have been in this timeline, given the absence of Warwick the Kingmaker (culminating in his demise on the Island Continent of Atlantis) means that the sequence of events culminating in the Battles of Barnet & Tewkesbury (resulting in the elimination of the legitimate branch of the House of Lancaster, leaving only the Tudors as a slightly-suspect substitute, to keep a shadow of the cause alive) must have been curtailed before they could get seriously underway.

In this timeline Edward of Westminster - son & heir to Henry VI - may well have lived to challenge young Edward V after the sudden demise of Edward IV (if memory serves the Lancastrian Edward would have been about 30 had he lived until AD 1483), which might result in the Duke of Gloucester & the Rivers family being obliged to sink their differences while they stood off the greatest single threat to the Yorkist Ascendancy.

It's even possible that Richard, Duke of Gloucester, could have died in this 'War of the Two Edwards' and become famous in memory as the last great hero of the House of York, the paladin of his nephew's cause! (How the Tudors came to the throne despite all these differences is an interesting question, but if I know those naughty Tudors some sort of bedroom shenanigans were almost certainly involved ... ).

The question of how the Pirate Lords of Avalon ... dear me, that IS a title waiting to happen - established themselves as buzzard kings of the Hesperian is another interesting one; more interesting still is the question of how Atlanteans reacted to the Wars of the Three Kingdoms (of which the English Civil War is the most famous part of that bloody cycle), which strikes me as something of a missed opportunity.

If nothing else, the breach between King & Parliament makes an excellent stressor driving an Atlantean desire to walk away from the whole sorry mess as an independent nation in its own right - and one can only wonder how a War of Independence fought with the weapons & tactics of the 17th Century would have differed from the American Revolutionary War fought a century later.

In all honesty, one can only suspect that either the cavaliers or the roundheads put some nasty lads with quick ships and hasty tempers into Avalon for the sake of harassing their rivals, who then proceeded to make themselves useful enough against the Dutch (and for all we know the French & the Spanish too) once the Civil Wars were done to allow them to escape the consequences of their privateering 'mischief' ... right up until the moment peace broke out, a new generation of pirates kept up some old bad habits and suffered the consequences when some cold, considerate men decided the days of Roaring Boys were DONE, their usefulness all used up.

Oh, and I'm fairly certain there must have been some interesting goings-on back in the days when Spain was The Power in the New World; I wonder if the Dons made a serious effort to oust the English & French from Atlantis? (or at least sought to use the English colonist's lingering loyalties to Rome to win them away from their Mother Countries).

By the way Max Gerke, may one please ask how you worked out where the various settlements & cities would be located on Atlantis? It's been a long while since I read the hardback copy of OPENING ATLANTIS (you may like to know that your maps have encouraged me to read the digital editions on kindle), so one cannot remember if the original novels came with maps.

MaxGerke01

Banned
By the way Max Gerke, may one please ask how you worked out where the various settlements & cities would be located on Atlantis? It's been a long while since I read the hardback copy of OPENING ATLANTIS (you may like to know that your maps have encouraged me to read the digital editions on kindle), so one cannot remember if the original novels came with maps.
I wish I could take credit but these are not my maps . I found them on deviantart so these are not from the books.The books I think had a map but just a very basic one showing where Atlantis was in relation to Europe and Hesperia...

MaxGerke01

Banned
This is what was in one book.
atlantisturtledove.jpg