The world of Harry Turtledove's Atlantis.

I have to imagine some of those islands between Atlantis and South America and Atlantis and Europe and Africa (like the Azores and Cape Verdes) are hotly contested at different time.

I agree but its also hard to imagine that by the 20th Century the Atlantic Ocean wasnt an Atlantian lake.

I have to imagine some of those islands between Atlantis and South America and Atlantis and Europe and Africa (like the Azores and Cape Verdes) are hotly contested at different time.

Honestly I've never given much thought to what this world must look like. I read the books but that was it. I'm glad somebody is devoting fan fiction to the issue.

Consider that the 1910s/1920s were rife with violence in Mexico. Mexican rebels were crossing the border north, and this was a violent period known for the "Cristero War", wherein the government was cracking down on the influence of the Roman Catholic Church. That alone would spark some changes.

Also consider Alayeska as home to the exiled Mensheviks or Bolsheviks, who would certainly clash with Mexico along the Oregon border...