The world after the 1983 nuclear war

make scnes, but I wounder what music might sound like, you know what bee awesome, if iron madin survive and become a wondering bard group among the nuclear wreckage and spread there music as bards know only trough legends among the isles.

I am currently laughing at the thought that all 70k nukes would be used. That's not even considering their not all ready to use at once, or that tactical nuclear weapons are included. But at minimum all the nuclear weapons at launch sites or submarines would be used. So probably at the low end a thousand nuclear weapons could end up being used. With most launched successfully by subs.

First off the USSR firing first gets the chance for more launchs.

Meaning all active and ready to fire silos may be able to launch at a minimum one more. And probably the launchers/silos that are not ready may also be capable of firing before the US hits those.

Usually the silos can fire more due to them being destroyed.

Submarines you can expect them to continue firing until they run out, the crew doesn't want to kill anymore or its somehow found. But they get to mostly fire their missiles due to them being mobile.

Bombers are a one way trip and most might not even make it.

Overall it looks like the US/NATO may get hit by 2-3x the amount of launchers/silos the Soviets have, because the US will retaliate with the Soviet missiles being 10 mins or less from hitting. NATO members in Europe will be the first to retaliate due to them being close and knowing something is going on.

Bioweapons? Why use those when nuclear weapons will destroy all possible vectors. There will be no airports or ships that would spread it. Since they are destroyed or at sea. And the cities are damaged and infrastructure overwhelemed/damaged to allow the bioweapons from getting new vectors.

Last edited:
Bioweapons? Why use those when nuclear weapons will destroy all possible vectors. There will be no airports or ships that would spread it. Since they are destroyed or at sea. And the cities are damaged and infrastructure overwhelemed/damaged to allow the bioweapons from getting new vectors.

Yeah, I could see regional flare-ups every now and then when nomadic carriers bump into pockets of civilisation but it's not exactly going to be Captain Trips.

IIRC, Aldous Huxley's Ape And Essence had New Zealand be spared from nuclear war in 2007. 100 years later, New Zealand is apparently still intact, though how it survived with the rest of the wold obliterated isn't addressed.

What's the effect of multiple nuclear explosions on one another? How many warheads will initiate correctly without being EMPed by surrounding explosions? How many missile, bombs, whatever will actually be launched before their platform are hit and vaporized preventively, or before some sane officer simply refuses to obey (and more often than not, you need two to fire)?
These questions are seldom answered.

if iron madin survive and become a wondering bard group among the nuclear wreckage

Looks like they were somewhere between Alberta and Illinois on the day. They had played Edmonton for their 'World Piece' Tour on the 20th of September, 1983 and were meant to be playing Peoria on the 29th. Both were likely Soviet targets but I can't find anything confirming that they were actually in either of those locations on the 26th. With any luck they'll have run to the hills.

I am currently laughing at the thought that all 70k nukes would be used. That's not even considering their not all ready to use at once, or that tactical nuclear weapons are included. But at minimum all the nuclear weapons at launch sites or submarines would be used. So probably at the low end a thousand nuclear weapons could end up being used. With most launched successfully by subs.

First off the USSR firing first gets the chance for more launchs.

Meaning all active and ready to fire silos may be able to launch at a minimum one more. And probably the launchers/silos that are not ready may also be capable of firing before the US hits those.

Usually the silos can fire more due to them being destroyed.

Submarines you can expect them to continue firing until they run out, the crew doesn't want to kill anymore or its somehow found. But they get to mostly fire their missiles due to them being mobile.

Bombers are a one way trip and most might not even make it.

Overall it looks like the US/NATO may get hit by 2-3x the amount of launchers/silos the Soviets have, because the US will retaliate with the Soviet missiles being 10 mins or less from hitting. NATO members in Europe will be the first to retaliate due to them being close and knowing something is going on.

As I recall early warning systems based on sats would detect a Soviet launch damn near instantly. So no first strike there most Soviet SSBNs also have American or other NATO attack subs trailing them the second they hear a missile go off they go down and going be the scenario by the OP everything that's operational flies nothing else any missile undergoing maintenance won't be able to luanch tac nukes will probably get thrown around like crazy buts that are the end of it

So no talks about what music might be in 5his wolr. I can imagine folk rock mix in with southern hemisphere influince to be the main influence of music in this world.

make scnes, but I wounder what music might sound like, you know what bee awesome, if iron madin survive and become a wondering bard group among the nuclear wreckage and spread there music as bards know only trough legends among the isles.
Now that is metal.;)