• Federal countries

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • US, Canada and Australia only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

qazse

Gone Fishin'
Can I vote for historical patches prior to subdivisions? BTW how do you do this? I wanted to make something like this with an Antarctica and arctic view
Also, what exactly did you have in mind for historical patches?

Also, what exactly did you have in mind for historical patches?
Well probably by order of population, 1939, 1914, 1500, 0? I guess it depends whether people use these maps more for looking at countries subdivisions in 2020 or for historical timelines and editing them from there

I made it using QGIS and Paint.NET.
Do you have video showing that? I tried using QGIS before but it's complex

Canadian territories should probably be shown with a different color as per the typical coloring. Same goes for North Australia and the US Territories.
What color scheme is being used here?

version 1.3

qazse

Gone Fishin'
version 1.3
Changelog:
  • Subnational divisions are now shown for Mexico, Brazil and the PRC.
  • As per @Epsilon Tauri's suggestion, Canadian and Australian territories are now distinguished from provinces/states.
winkel tripel bam.png

version 1.6

qazse

Gone Fishin'
version 1.6
Changelog:
  • Thanks to Frank Hart for catching my Greenland error - the missing municipality of Qeqertalik has been added.
  • Added first-level subdivisions for France, Italy, Spain and Saudi Arabia, and the regions of Japan (the map's size does not permit me to add the prefectures).
winkel tripel bam.png

version 1.7

qazse

Gone Fishin'
version 1.7
Changelog:
  • Added first-level subdivisions for the DRC, Kazakhstan, Poland, Pakistan and Belarus.
winkel tripel bam.png

And by the way, @tungsterismapping, the dark colour is used for all autonomous annexed territories - Russia's republics, autonomous okrugs and the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, in this case.

version 1.8

qazse

Gone Fishin'
version 1.8
Changelog:
  • Added first-level subdivisions for Ukraine, Iran, Niger, Malaysia and Sudan.
  • After much deliberation, Russia's autonomous okrugs and the JAO are now coloured using the lighter colour, as in other base maps.
winkel tripel bam.png

And why is that a problem?
most of us don't bother deleting borders one by one if we want to have a blank map, because most maps allow you to select a single color and change only that. But if the color of the coastline is the same as the color of the borders, you can't delete the borders easily without deleting the coastline.

version 1.9

qazse

Gone Fishin'
Finally managed to bite the procrastination bug long enough to get an update out.

version 1.9
Changelog:
  • Due to popular demand, and to bring this basemap into line with the others, coastlines have been change to a very dark blue, rather than black.
  • Lakes Titicaca and Nicaragua have been added.
  • Coloured Russia's republics using the lighter shade to show their autonomy.
winkel tripel bam.png