The Whale Has Wings (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a simple series of extended epilogues describing the land advances made by the various powers, including not just the Western Allies and the USSR, but the Commonwealth and China? That is, through VE and VJ Days? I think the most important decision by you will be over whether the war lasts long enough for A-Bombs to be used.

And the ultimate fate of the Yamato-class battleships. Astrodragon hinted that they would meet a slightly different end than OTL.

And the ultimate fate of the Yamato-class battleships. Astrodragon hinted that they would meet a slightly different end than OTL.

Well, I can't see a battleship-to-battleship duel. Halsey had every chance to let his battle force to charge in and take out the Yamato OTL.

The battle commander asked the air commander "Do you want to take 'em or shall I take him?" "I'll take him." For the possible loss of at most some 30-40 attack aircraft you're sinking a superbattleship.

But using the American battleline would mean risking one of those 18.1 " shells punching through the armor of a WWI battleship (or WWII if they are in position to engage), leaving the possibility of a Hood/Arizona level of a catastrophic detonation of the magazines, killing over a thousand men in an instant!:eek:

And the Yamato-class was faster than any US old BB and just as fast as any US WWII battleship other than the Iowa-class. Mind, I doubt VERY much a Yamato attacking a US task force would still be capable of full speed by the time she could actually engage the US battleline.

Saphroneth

Banned
It's a pity, in a way, that the Yamato never really got to show her stuff. As far as we can tell from examination of the Battle Off Samar, Yamato achieved the longest-ranged hit in the history of the naval gun. (It was even a vindication of the diving shell concept in some sense - it was a submarine detonation.)

HMm.

OK, once I have the next story sorted in plot, I'll try and do a few short stories about the rest of the war.
There is at least the fate of the IJN to work on.

HMm.

OK, once I have the next story sorted in plot, I'll try and do a few short stories about the rest of the war.
There is at least the fate of the IJN to work on.

I think the Japanese have got enough ships to do a alt Leyte Gulf. That could be interesting.

I could write it, but its just describing how the allies finished curbstomping the enemy ships. Rather boring.

I am hoping you finish WW2 nice and quick and then get into how British shipping, aerospace and the general economy evolves over the 50s and 60s. :D

fasquardon

I am hoping you finish WW2 nice and quick and then get into how British shipping, aerospace and the general economy evolves over the 50s and 60s. :D

fasquardon

Indeed, with the FAA getting more feathers in its cap, maybe the Royal Navy won't be neglected as badly as OTL.

whilst he has a point. the point would have been better made to the author DIRECTLY. Ressurecting a thread was the wrong way about it. Please remember for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.