The West Wing Presidential Election (Timeline)

Roedecker

Banned
On the television show The West Wing, the Presidential Election cycle was altered by two years at some point in the past.

On the show there have been two indirect references to President Gerald Ford. The first is that of a mention of Donald Rumsfeld who served as Ford's Chief of Staff and later as Secretary of Defense until 1977. The second reference is to Executive Order 11905 which was signed by President Ford in 1976. There has also been a reference to President Ronald Reagan. In the second season President Bartlet and Josh Lyman were treated for gun shot wounds at the Ronald Reagan Institute of Emergency Medicine as can be seen during exterior shots of Toby Ziegler and Ron Butterfield talking outside the hospital.

So Ford and Reagan both served as president in the West Wing Universe.

The following is what lead to the change in the election cycle:

The 25th Amendment, that was passed in 1967 in OTL wasn't passed in the West Wing Universe. So after President Richard Nixon resigned on noon of August 9, 1974, as there was no current Vice-President in office as Spiro Agnew had resigned in 1973, the presidency passed to the Speaker of the House Democrat Carl Albert of Oklahoma. President Albert refused to effectively reverse the mandate of the Republican landslide victory of 1972, and announced he would request for Congress to pass a bill to hold a special presidential election on Tuesday November 5, 1974. A bill was passed just weeks later, and a presidential election was set for that date. Both the Democrats and the Republicans held conventions in early September. The Republicans chose the Minority Leader in the House of Representatives, Congressman Gerald Ford of Michigan as their candidate. The Democrats chose Acting-President Albert as their candidate, however in the election various other Democrats also chose to run for president. This fractured the Democrat vote and enabled Congressman Ford to not only win a plurality in the popular vote, but a majority in the Electoral College and therefore the presidency.

As a result of the 1974 Presidential Election, the four-year cycle of presidential elections was shifted.

During the presidency of Gerald Ford, an amendment eventually was passed that clarified provisions regarding succession to the Presidency, and established procedures both for filling a vacancy in the office of the Vice President as well as responding to Presidential disabilities. As a result of this amendment in 2003, President Bartlet had to pick a new Vice-President following the resignation of John Hoynes.

President Ford chose to only serve one term and in 1978, Ronald Reagan won the Republican nomination. He defeated Jimmy Carter in the presidential election and went on to serve from 1979 to 1987.

In '86, Democrat D. Wire Newman defeated Vice-President Bush. However, President Newman was defeated in his bid for re-election in 1990 by Republican Owen Lassiter. President Lassiter served from 1991 to 1999. His Vice-President was defeated in the Electoral College by Democrat Governor Josiah "Jed" Bartlet.

President Bartlet will have served from from 1999 to 2007.

The current presidential election is taking place in 2006. It's between Republican Senator Arnold Vinick of California and Democrat Congressman Matt Santos of Texas.

So then, this is the history of presidential politics in the West Wing Universe since from 1969:

Richard Nixon (Republican) - 1969-1974
Carl Albert (Democrat) - 1974-1975
Gerald Ford (Republican) - 1975-1979
Ronald Reagan (Republican) - 1979-1987
D. Wire Newman (Democrat) - 1987-1991
Owen Lassiter (Republican) - 1991-1999
Josiah Bartlet (Democrat) - 1999-2007
Arnold Vinick (Republican) - 2007-2015? (Hopefully)

Last edited:
That's actually a rather good explanation for some of the inconsistencies, Roedecker.

Is this something you came up with?

Roedecker

Banned
Doctor What said:
That's actually a rather good explanation for some of the inconsistencies, Roedecker.

Is this something you came up with?

Actually the theory about the 25th Amendment not being passed in 1967 and an election being held in 1974 was first printed in a British magazine called TV Zone. However, I came up with the stuff about the circumstances of Ford's election, the political conventions, and the events afterward.

I actually recall an episode when where it indicates the election cycle is different than OTL. I mean 2006 is a presidential year and 08 is a midterm.

Roedecker

Banned
Arch-Angel said:
I actually recall an episode when where it indicates the election cycle is different than OTL. I mean 2006 is a presidential year and 08 is a midterm.

Ah, Duh! That's the whole point of this thread.

And the show doesn't merely indicate that the election cycle is different, it has been clearly said it point blank.

Some questions:

Would people vote for a republican president just after Nixon had to resign? Even if the answer's yes: Why on earth for uncharismatic Gerald Ford?

Would Americans really want to have the republicans for 18 years in power (with the exception of Carl who wasn't really elected)?

And a last question: Is Arnold Vindick supposed to be a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger? (Same first name, same state, same ambitions... I don't watch West Wing, if you think that sounds stupid)

Roedecker

Banned
Max Sinister said:
Some questions:

Would people vote for a republican president just after Nixon had to resign? Even if the answer's yes: Why on earth for uncharismatic Gerald Ford?

Would Americans really want to have the republicans for 18 years in power (with the exception of Carl who wasn't really elected)?

And a last question: Is Arnold Vindick supposed to be a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger? (Same first name, same state, same ambitions... I don't watch West Wing, if you think that sounds stupid)

As mentioned in the above timeline description, various chose Democrats ran for president and that fractured the Democratic vote. Essentially the Democrats all put the "spoiler effect" on each other. The Republicans were united and that enabled Ford to win the electoral votes to be elected. And after Ford, Reagan was such a great leader and charismatic enough to be untouched by any of Nixon's troubles.

As for Vinick, apparently he's supposed to be a hybrid so to speak of John McCain and Rudy Giuliani. He's been described as: "Pro-choice, anti-partial birth, pro-death penalty, anti-tax, pro-environment and pro-business, pro-balanced budget."

My mother, a life-long Democrat, would agree with you there, but while watched the debate, it seemed to me like Santos was the winner, though admittedly not the clear winner (definately lost on that whole perscription drug thing, for one)

Roedecker

Banned
Vinick's closing statement was much better as well:

"First of all, I want to thank Matt for agreeing to drop the rules tonight and let us have a real debate. And what you’ve heard, over and above the many policy differences, were different philosophies of government. I believe both of us want what’s best for this country, we just have different ideas about how to go about it. I think it’s fair to say that Matt has more confidence in government than I do. I have more confidence in freedom – your freedom; your freedom to choose your child’s school, your freedom to choose the car or truck that’s right for you and your family, your freedom to spend or save your hard-earned money instead of having the government spend it for you. I’m not anti-government. I just don’t want any more government than we can afford. I don’t want government doing things it doesn’t know how to do or doing things the private sector does better or throwing more money at failed programs because that’s exactly what makes people lose faith in government. And all of us, Democrats and Republicans, Independents, Liberals or Conservatives, we all want a government that we can believe in. We all want a government that doesn’t make false promises, a government that doesn’t overreach, doesn’t take on more than it can handle; an efficient, effective, honest government. That’s what the Founding Fathers created. That’s what they wanted for us. The choice in this election comes down to this: do we want more government or do we want to get control of government. To govern is to choose and the choices are never easy. There are lobbies out there that will fight you on every choice you make. They’re ready to call you names the second you make a choice they don’t like. You heard that heckler go after me tonight. You have to be tough to stand up to that. But being tough won’t help you make the right choice. That takes experience and mature judgment. That’s what the Presidency needs now more than ever. And that’s why I ask you to give me your vote: so that I can give you the government that you were promised by the Founding Fathers. Thank you, very much."

Indeed... Santos's speech seemed to center around that whole pledge thing, which seemed like an unnecessary reference to OTL (though I haven't been tracking the WW world too fully lately, I don't recall there being a "war for oil" there)

Roedecker

Banned
Another possible explanation for the election date is that Nixon resigned earlier than August of 1974:

On November 3, 1973 in OTL President Nixon's two principal lawyers, Fred Buzhardt and Leonard Garment, flew to Key Biscayne, Florida, to recommend that he should resign. Nixon guessed what their mission was and chose not to see them, they debated if they should force their way in to see the President and demand his resignation, but decided not to.

In the West Wing Universe they made Nixon meet with them and were able to convinced him to resign, and as Spiro Agnew resigned just weeks before in October there was no sitting Vice President in office. After President Nixon resigned on noon of November 5, 1973, the presidency passed to the Speaker of the House Democrat Carl Albert of Oklahoma.

President Albert refused to effectively reverse the mandate of the Republican landslide victory of 1972 and he announced in a televised address to the nation that he would only serve for one year and would request for Congress to pass a bill to hold a special presidential election on tuesday November 5, 1974. A bill was passed just weeks later, and a presidential election was set for that date.

He also announced that he did not attend to seek the Democratic nomination for the Presidency in the 1974 Presidential election and that he would support Nixon's choice for Vice President, the Minority Leader in the House of Representatives, Republican Congressman Gerald Ford of Michigan.

In the 1974 Primary elections Vice President Ford easily outpaced his major Republican opponents California Governor Ronald Reagan and former Texas Governor John Connally. The Democrats finally chose former Vice President and 1968 candidate Hubert Humphrey as their candidate, however in the election Eugene McCarthy and George Wallace chose to run for president as independents. This fractured the Democrat vote and enabled Congressman Ford and his running mate Ronald Reagan to not only win a plurality in the popular vote, but a majority in the Electoral College and therefore the presidency.

As a result of the 1974 Presidential Election, the four-year cycle of presidential elections was shifted.

President Ford chose to only serve one term and in 1978, Vice President Ronald Reagan won the Republican nomination. He defeated the Democrat candidate Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy in the presidential election and went on to serve from 1979 to 1987.

In 1986, Democrat D. Wire Newman defeated Vice-President Bush. However, President Newman was defeated in his bid for re-election in 1990 by Republican Owen Lassiter. President Lassiter served from 1991 to 1999. Vice-President Richards was defeated in the 1998 Election by Democrat New Hampshire Governor Josiah "Jed" Bartlet. President Bartlet will have served from 1999 to 2007.

fortyseven said:
Maybe something like a The Bear and the Dragon scenario?

I wish the show was a real AH.
It seems to be more of a MDW (Minor Divergence World) Let the show go on for twenty to thrity years and we'd see if its a real alternate history, a parallel world, or near future (like Tom Clancy's stuff is...)

The West Wing timeline and elections my favourite subject!!!!
The President's up to Nixon are set, then of course it gets vague. I think Albert and Ford where Presidents in this timeline (although Ford dies earlier than the real world as he is not alive when President's Bartlet and Former President Newman and Former Acting President Walken go Former President Lassister's Funeral in Jan 2004).
D W Newman served only 1 term that is made clear in that epsiode and that Lassister beat him for re-election. It was never made clear that Lassister was the President directly before Bartlet, although it would mean that if he wasn't then the Republican prior to Bartlet died before August 1999, just eight months after leaving office (August 1999 is when the first epsiode is set). It does get a little more confused when during the 2006 election between Vinick and Santos, Vinick mentions that California is play for the Republicans for the first time in 25 years- which equals to the 1982 election. Now we know Lassister was from California is it possable for him to win both of his elections without his own state, rather unlikely.
It is also mentioned at various points during the 2006 election that a Republican had won 49 out of 50 states twice in the last 30 years. One of these may have been Nixon's win 1972 and was rounding down.
Also it was noted that during the 2006 election that no Senator had won a Presidential Election since 1960 (same as our world), which rules out Newman and Lassister being from Senate when they ran for President.
As for the 1998 election in which Bartlet won the Presidency it was never made clear who he defeated. Now there was a a single throwaway line in Series 7 (during the 2006 election), when talking about eight years before " I wouldn’t have gotten the money because I would have been in Illinois. The polls there looked as bad as when we were running against Eisenhower".
Eisenhower it seems was Bartlet's opponent in 1998.
THE 1998 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION
Two term New Hampshire Governor Josiah Bartlet and his running mate Texas Sentor John Hoynes won the Presidency by 303-235 in the electoral college (confirmed in series 5 epsiode Memorial Day). They got 48% of the vote and 48 million votes. Now it was mentioned our a couple of ocassions that Hoynes helped Bartlet win the south. Now it was mentioned that Bartlet won both Florida and Georgia in 1998 and he did lose in Texas.
It was also mentioned that he won in Oregon by just 10,000 votes.
He also lost in Maine and looks likely to have lost in New Mexico and Colorado (In his landslide 2002 re-election he only carried New Mexico by 6,000 votes, and it was mentioned that Bartlet was never popular in Colorado and New Mexico).
Anyone want to guess how the states fell in 1998 based the small bits of information given during the seven series of the show.

Indeed... Santos's speech seemed to center around that whole pledge thing, which seemed like an unnecessary reference to OTL (though I haven't been tracking the WW world too fully lately, I don't recall there being a "war for oil" there)

Kazakhstan has oil. "Qumar" has oil.

The West Wing timeline and elections my favourite subject!!!!
The President's up to Nixon are set, then of course it gets vague. I think Albert and Ford where Presidents in this timeline (although Ford dies earlier than the real world as he is not alive when President's Bartlet and Former President Newman and Former Acting President Walken go Former President Lassister's Funeral in Jan 2004).
D W Newman served only 1 term that is made clear in that epsiode and that Lassister beat him for re-election. It was never made clear that Lassister was the President directly before Bartlet, although it would mean that if he wasn't then the Republican prior to Bartlet died before August 1999, just eight months after leaving office (August 1999 is when the first epsiode is set). It does get a little more confused when during the 2006 election between Vinick and Santos, Vinick mentions that California is play for the Republicans for the first time in 25 years- which equals to the 1982 election. Now we know Lassister was from California is it possable for him to win both of his elections without his own state, rather unlikely.
It is also mentioned at various points during the 2006 election that a Republican had won 49 out of 50 states twice in the last 30 years. One of these may have been Nixon's win 1972 and was rounding down.
Also it was noted that during the 2006 election that no Senator had won a Presidential Election since 1960 (same as our world), which rules out Newman and Lassister being from Senate when they ran for President.
As for the 1998 election in which Bartlet won the Presidency it was never made clear who he defeated. Now there was a a single throwaway line in Series 7 (during the 2006 election), when talking about eight years before " I wouldn’t have gotten the money because I would have been in Illinois. The polls there looked as bad as when we were running against Eisenhower".
Eisenhower it seems was Bartlet's opponent in 1998.
THE 1998 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION
Two term New Hampshire Governor Josiah Bartlet and his running mate Texas Sentor John Hoynes won the Presidency by 303-235 in the electoral college (confirmed in series 5 epsiode Memorial Day). They got 48% of the vote and 48 million votes. Now it was mentioned our a couple of ocassions that Hoynes helped Bartlet win the south. Now it was mentioned that Bartlet won both Florida and Georgia in 1998 and he did lose in Texas.
It was also mentioned that he won in Oregon by just 10,000 votes.
He also lost in Maine and looks likely to have lost in New Mexico and Colorado (In his landslide 2002 re-election he only carried New Mexico by 6,000 votes, and it was mentioned that Bartlet was never popular in Colorado and New Mexico).
Anyone want to guess how the states fell in 1998 based the small bits of information given during the seven series of the show.

So, let's say that that Reagan was Ford's VP ITTL, and that Ford was assassinated.