The Weighted Scales: The World of an Aborted Rome

I can't for the Syrian elephants, i know next to nothing of them. But Spain had several species of megafauna (from mammoths to bisons and the colossal aurochs -of which the current Spanish Fighting Bull would be a bonsai version-).

Megafauna went extinct in Iberia mostly due to the retreat south of the savannah environment and the extension of the Atlantic and Mediterranean forest. But the role of human hunters should not be downplayed.

Iirc, it isn't till the romanization that the deforestation of Iberia really picks up, re-opening savannah-like ecosystems that could allow elephants to prosper. Although probably the heavily urbanized mediterranean coast could have opened them to a certain extent.

These elephants need a savannah-type ecosystem, right? :D

They do. The south and the coastline is opening up more and more every year.

They do. The south and the coastline is opening up more and more every year.
Oh yes, now there are some kind-of serious proposals to reintroduce megafauna in Spain (mostly bisons). I read in Sci/Am that some biologists also propose it in the US as well, including great felines and elephants!

Sorry guys. For the next two months or so updates might be more sparse than usual. My senior project for my degree is pretty damn time consuming. I hope you all understand. I'll do my best as I always try to do, but I ask you guys please be patient. Thanks :)

Sorry guys. For the next two months or so updates might be more sparse than usual. My senior project for my degree is pretty damn time consuming. I hope you all understand. I'll do my best as I always try to do, but I ask you guys please be patient. Thanks :)

Good luck! :) what is the project about, if it isn't too much to ask?

Chapter Seven: The Men and Their Wolves
Part Five: The Failed Assassination

Alpen_030122010.jpg

The Istros River in winter looked like a huge grey snake slithering through the hills, ice laden upon its writhing spine. On a hill overlooking the river, the town of Oescus burned. It was emptied of all life. Only the flames and crumbling structures they ate moved there. Escamulos, his helmet removed, watched from a hilltop a few miles away. This would be the final battle against the Triballi, or so he hoped.

Cerenthios, his cousin and one of his generals, approached him on horseback. He dismounted, as a sign of respect, and removed his own helmet.

“Ouolkirix,” Cerenthios said gruffly through a thick grey mustache, “Our scouts have confirmed the movements of the Triballi forces. They are approaching from the other side of the river.”

“According to plan,” Escamulos said absently.

“Yes, Ouolkirix, except our scouts…” Cerenthios trailed off for a moment. “The Triballi have forged an alliance with the Dacians of Sucidava across the Istros. Their numbers have doubled.”

This was alarming news, but Escamulos did not let it show. “Have we sent ambassadors to convince them to stay out of this?”

“We’ve sent my brother Gaesatos. He rides on horseback as we speak. Any moment now you will see him cross the river,” Cerenthios sounded worried. “But I don’t think the Dacians will turn back.”

“Probably not,” Escamulos agreed. “What do you suggest we do in that case, Cerenthios?”

“Run,” Cerenthios said. “We don’t have the men to fight such a horde. Your army is tired, exhausted. And they are already discontent because you refused them their right to return home for the winter.”

“There would be no homes to return to if they left now. We waged this war in retaliation, in case anyone has forgotten, to the Triballi and Dardanians attacks on our frontiers.”

“Regardless, we can’t face such an army.”

“We have the high ground,” Escamulos thought aloud. “The enemy doesn’t know where we are; they will be drawn to Oescus. If we station our archers on the slopes of that hill yonder, we can thin them out considerably as they cross the river and march up the hill to Oescus. Then, we order the archers to fall back… If done right, they won’t know where they went, and we can hit them from the flank. Or perhaps they could draw them into the low ground again…”

“It’s foolish either way,” Cerenthios insisted. “You’ll kill us all!”

He said that last bit too loudly. People stared from behind them. For the first time in the conversation, Escamulos turned to face his cousin.

“Are you questioning my authority, Cerenthios?” Escamulos’ voice sounded dead. He wasn’t one for theatrics.

Cerenthios, however, was.

“You’ll send all of these men to their graves,” he waved his arm dramatically; speaking loudly so all could hear him. “Have you lost your mind? Have you gone mad, my king? We free men should not be held under the yolk of a mad king!”

Then Cerenthios drew his sword.

“Seriously?” Escamulos placed his hand on this own blade. “Are you really doing this?”

“I shan’t be ruled by a mad king born from the lust of an Eastern barbarian and a whore!”

Cerenthios made his move, and lunged in to stab Escamulos. It was a brash and clumsy move, one that only took a mere sidestep to dodge. Cerenthios’ sword, heavy and long, hit the frozen forest floor with a thud. Before he could heave the thing back up, Escamulos threw a fast jab at Cerenthios’ face. Then another. Then another. The last one knocked out a couple teeth.

Escamulos’ would-be murderer recoiled, taking a few steps back to regain his footing. Casually, Escamulos drew his own sword, a falcata, and got into position. His form was flawless, graceful, and deadly. Cerenthios swung his sword again with a massive slash, but Escamulos needed to only lean back to avoid the blade as it whooshed by. That was when he struck.

Left open from his wild swing, Cerenthios was vulnerable, and Escamulos exploited every vulnerability. He went low and cut through Cerenthios’ tendons behind the knee, and then cut through his side where black liver-blood oozed out. And then Escamulos brought his blade quickly across Cerenthios’ throat. Cerenthios fell to the ground, gasping for breath as blood jetted out from his neck. In a matter of moments, he bled out. The whole affair lasted only perhaps a minute.

Escamulos wiped the blood off of his blade on Cerenthios’ cloak, and looked at the men who had gathered to watch the spectacle.

“Let it be known,” Escamulos said, “that the Ouolkirix is himself more deadly than any army assembled against him. You have a better chance living if you fight with me than against me.”

A couple of men hoorayed at that.

“The Triballi are arriving from across the river.” Escamulos said to one of his generals not lying dead on the forest floor, “I want archers on that hill to give them a welcoming present. As they approach, lead them into that gulch, where we will ride them down. The plan is simple; everyone should understand it.”

The Ouolki army was truly a one of a kind force in antiquity. Unlike many Celtic groups that spread their culture, the Ouolki did not cling to their culture quite as tightly as the others. Whereas groups like the Senones of Italia, the Scordisci of Pannonia, and many others quickly brought a corresponding change in material culture, the Ouolki did not. But they did not simply assimilate either. Instead, a unique culture arose from the mixing of Hellenistic and Celtic cultures that utilized the strengths of both. Nowhere else is this more evident in Ouolki warfare.

The Ouolki continued to fight with a huge emphasis on cavalry, but they abandoned the chariot after only a couple of generations. Indeed, by the reign of Escamulos chariots were almost completely out of use in the Ouolki army. Cavalry soon adopted smaller shields, resembling those used by the Greeks, and quite often wore helmets with visors instead of nose guards to optimize visibility.

Roman-cavalry.jpg

Infantry began to adopt something resembling a phalanx, but the spears were certainly shorter than those of the Makedonians, allowing for more maneuverability. They favored the larger, oval shaped shields of Celtic culture to the smaller, circular shields that we identify with Greek phalanxes. They were not as heavily armored as their Greek and Makedonian counterparts, but over time, as riches poured into Ouolkike and Bojike, chainmail became more and more common. Traditional Celtic conical helmets fell out of favor to be replaced by the new Gallic helmets, sometimes called Jockey Helmets, imported from the West. Most infantrymen were armed with short swords as well as spears, for close combat.

iron-helmet-gallic-imperial.jpg

Apart from this, the Ouolki kept contingents of shock troops, mostly made up of young men who swore an oath to the Warrior Cult and the gods of war. Lightly armored, if armored at all, and usually armed with traditional Celtic long swords, they are perhaps the most famous aspect of Ouolki warfare. They were the beginnings of what would later become a religious martial order that answered to the King as the head of the Warrior Cult. This may have been an intentional power shift away from the Druids to allow the Ouolkirix more control over his domain in the style of Hellenistic kings. These groups were inherently conservative in nature, and had a political as well as martial function.

MV5BMTkwNjg3NTUyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjU4OTU3._V1._SX443_SY400_.jpg

Along with an increased emphasis on archers, slingers, and javelin throwers, these changes in the Ouolki military-complex created perhaps one of the most powerful and adaptable forces in ancient history. The strong leadership of Ouolki kings, who, it seems, had uncanny luck when it came to rearing great strategists and tacticians, doubled their effectiveness.

Yay! It's not dead!

Just a thought-this assassination attempt seems utterly out of the blue. Is this really just his cousin going mad? Or is this part of a larger conspiracy?

Yay! It's not dead!

Just a thought-this assassination attempt seems utterly out of the blue. Is this really just his cousin going mad? Or is this part of a larger conspiracy?

It's got more to do with addressing the pattern of instability and violence in Celtic politics. It's not out of the blue, his cousin lists some complaints made against Escamulos. He just tries to make it look honorable and glorious while he attempts regicide.

Errrnge, you duh bomb. :cool:

It was a good update too! I really enjoyed you're handling of Celtic mixing with Hellenic culture; you're giving form and putting on paper what I have long dreamed about... The last bits seemed a little bit more expositiony than usual, but maybe that's just because I've not been reading TTL lately.

Might I venture a guess at thinking these Celto-Greeks and their adaptations in warfare might spur forth a large-scale revolution in the field across the Med.? I remember reading somewhere that a large part of the Greek's loss of dominance at the time OTL was due to outdated military technology and tactics, and I'd assume the same might happen in alternate realities.

FDW

Banned

It was a good update too! I really enjoyed you're handling of Celtic mixing with Hellenic culture; you're giving form and putting on paper what I have long dreamed about... The last bits seemed a little bit more expositiony than usual, but maybe that's just because I've not been reading TTL lately.

Might I venture a guess at thinking these Celto-Greeks and their adaptations in warfare might spur forth a large-scale revolution in the field across the Med.? I remember reading somewhere that a large part of the Greek's loss of dominance at the time OTL was due to outdated military technology and tactics, and I'd assume the same might happen in alternate realities.

It also seems like some of the Celto-Greek adaptations look suspiciously like some of advances the Romans made OTL.

Hi, Errnge! I finally took up following this thread of yours; it has been some weeks for me catching up from the beginning; this is the first new post since then. Now I'm subscribing to keep up

I quoted just your reference to the final image of the post just above. I've seen lots of broken links to images reading a thread spanning the past several years in posting time, of course. But this one is brand new today and I don't know what it is intended to be, because it won't post. At least not on my browser/system, but the nature of the refusal suggests to me maybe no one can see it?

What was it a picture of?

---
About my impressions of the thread so far--personally I was rather enjoying the flashbacks from the 12th or 13th century, especially when the Hispanolian woman entered into the plot. Naturally I'm curious what sort of world this is by then, who the big nations are, what level of tech we are talking, how widespread the higher tech societies are, etc.

Equally naturally, if you find, as some of your readers suggested you would, being pinned down to certain outcomes a thousand years and more uptime from your main story focus is too much of a fetter, I'd understand if you dropped them, or let them sit a long time and got back to them when it is clearer to you how to get from the downtime part to the uptime.

In the main timeframe I've been enjoying watching the different societies and dynasties and so on develop. Unlike a lot of your readership and I gather you yourself, I am not really fond of badass barbarians making mounds of their enemies' skulls just for the hell of it. But that is not all that is going on here.

Particularly vivid for me are the scenes with various ladies--notably your Celtic queens, such as the mother (or is she grandmother?) of our current hero, or alt-Hannibal meeting the latest queen--somehow her enquiry after the origins of lapis lazuli seemed to speak in the very tones of Progress to me, so it is fateful she meets both Hannibal and a Buddhist missionary in that same moment.

You might recall I jumped in to your original draft of this timeline with the opinion that some sort of universal Mediterranean empire was favored by probability. Well, I've rethought that a bit--I still think it's more likely than random chance alone would predict because of economic advantages that would temporarily accrue to whichever power did it, and that the nature of this advantage is such that it would favor large realms over smaller ones visibly, so that the regional powers both have incentive and are empowered to grow and merge.

But I'm willing to stipulate that perhaps that tendency, if it exists at all, is weak and uncertain, so a Mediterranean world where no one ever quite achieves that ascendency is not so unlikely as I thought. What that would mean is that no one would ever achieve the sweeping (but transitory!) rent collection accruing to the power that gains control of all the Mediterranean shore lands at the same time, and thus makes trade significantly safer and hence more economic. I won't risk trying to explain all of how I thought it did work in the OTL Classical world; the short sketch is that the achievement of the Roman Empire brought a couple centuries of really widespread and unprecedented prosperity for most of the Empire's subjects--but then that same Imperial framework, in the context of trade profits that had been high for transitory reasons and were now therefore declining, and of formerly underdeveloped land that had been filling but is now filled, becomes a fetter and a tourniquet and the Empire inevitably implodes--moving to a more sustainable base in the east and abandoning vast sweeps of its former protectorate--including the very homeland of the Imperial people themselves.

Anyway, with no pan-Mediterranean empire forming, that scenario can't happen. Instead of looking for some successful world-conqueror to emerge, what I'm looking for in your various alt-societies is laying down of deep roots. Dynasties come and go; how many of the cities and peoples we've met so far downtime will in some sense still be there a thousand years hence? Will there be city-states or nations that can manage to repel conquerors (but perhaps welcome helpful immigrants)?

What I'd expect, in the macro-economic sense, is that no kingdom or other polity will do as well per capita as was common in say the Antoinine period of the Early Empire. But then neither will any of them suffer as badly as each part (for the most part) of the united Empire did when the suck-tide went out. Economic growth and development will probably be a slow but steady process, with slow and subtle forms of progress able to just barely offset the problems of each region soon reaching saturation.

My brain is shutting down for the night: I will subscribe and look forward to this story continuing.

Best of luck!

Shevek23

Hi, Errnge! I finally took up following this thread of yours; it has been some weeks for me catching up from the beginning; this is the first new post since then. Now I'm subscribing to keep up

I quoted just your reference to the final image of the post just above. I've seen lots of broken links to images reading a thread spanning the past several years in posting time, of course. But this one is brand new today and I don't know what it is intended to be, because it won't post. At least not on my browser/system, but the nature of the refusal suggests to me maybe no one can see it?

-

It's a picture of a river in a snow covered forest. Quite beautiful actually.

It's a picture of a river in a snow covered forest. Quite beautiful actually.

That one's still up actually. The picture that's gone (no clue why, it worked yesterday...) is your standard scary looking Celtic painted blue running naked guys.

---
About my impressions of the thread so far--personally I was rather enjoying the flashbacks from the 12th or 13th century, especially when the Hispanolian woman entered into the plot. Naturally I'm curious what sort of world this is by then, who the big nations are, what level of tech we are talking, how widespread the higher tech societies are, etc.

Equally naturally, if you find, as some of your readers suggested you would, being pinned down to certain outcomes a thousand years and more uptime from your main story focus is too much of a fetter, I'd understand if you dropped them, or let them sit a long time and got back to them when it is clearer to you how to get from the downtime part to the uptime.

In the main timeframe I've been enjoying watching the different societies and dynasties and so on develop. Unlike a lot of your readership and I gather you yourself, I am not really fond of badass barbarians making mounds of their enemies' skulls just for the hell of it. But that is not all that is going on here.

Particularly vivid for me are the scenes with various ladies--notably your Celtic queens, such as the mother (or is she grandmother?) of our current hero, or alt-Hannibal meeting the latest queen--somehow her enquiry after the origins of lapis lazuli seemed to speak in the very tones of Progress to me, so it is fateful she meets both Hannibal and a Buddhist missionary in that same moment.

You might recall I jumped in to your original draft of this timeline with the opinion that some sort of universal Mediterranean empire was favored by probability. Well, I've rethought that a bit--I still think it's more likely than random chance alone would predict because of economic advantages that would temporarily accrue to whichever power did it, and that the nature of this advantage is such that it would favor large realms over smaller ones visibly, so that the regional powers both have incentive and are empowered to grow and merge.

But I'm willing to stipulate that perhaps that tendency, if it exists at all, is weak and uncertain, so a Mediterranean world where no one ever quite achieves that ascendency is not so unlikely as I thought. What that would mean is that no one would ever achieve the sweeping (but transitory!) rent collection accruing to the power that gains control of all the Mediterranean shore lands at the same time, and thus makes trade significantly safer and hence more economic. I won't risk trying to explain all of how I thought it did work in the OTL Classical world; the short sketch is that the achievement of the Roman Empire brought a couple centuries of really widespread and unprecedented prosperity for most of the Empire's subjects--but then that same Imperial framework, in the context of trade profits that had been high for transitory reasons and were now therefore declining, and of formerly underdeveloped land that had been filling but is now filled, becomes a fetter and a tourniquet and the Empire inevitably implodes--moving to a more sustainable base in the east and abandoning vast sweeps of its former protectorate--including the very homeland of the Imperial people themselves.

Anyway, with no pan-Mediterranean empire forming, that scenario can't happen. Instead of looking for some successful world-conqueror to emerge, what I'm looking for in your various alt-societies is laying down of deep roots. Dynasties come and go; how many of the cities and peoples we've met so far downtime will in some sense still be there a thousand years hence? Will there be city-states or nations that can manage to repel conquerors (but perhaps welcome helpful immigrants)?

What I'd expect, in the macro-economic sense, is that no kingdom or other polity will do as well per capita as was common in say the Antoinine period of the Early Empire. But then neither will any of them suffer as badly as each part (for the most part) of the united Empire did when the suck-tide went out. Economic growth and development will probably be a slow but steady process, with slow and subtle forms of progress able to just barely offset the problems of each region soon reaching saturation.

My brain is shutting down for the night: I will subscribe and look forward to this story continuing.

Best of luck!

Shevek23

I already addressed the picture question above.

I'm very glad to see you've joined up on the TL. I for one have always enjoyed your in-depth analysis. It brings to light a lot of things I've never thought of before. For instance, right here, I never really thought about the economic implications of no Roman Empire. It has occurred to me that piracy would be worse (there have already been a couple of updates where pirates are highlighted) but the long term implication are indeed very interesting.

And the barbarians making piles of their enemies' skulls, part of this is disproving the myth that these peoples were destined to fail. They weren't frankly. And since most of the barbarians we've run across so far are Celtic, it's fair to say we've seen quite a bit of psychological warfare meant to scare the ever living crap out of their adversaries.

And Iouinaballa was Escamulos and Belipenna's grandmother. And yes, I am a big fan of strong female characters. While they are rare throughout history, and even in this one they are few and far between, I still find them particularly interesting.

It also seems like some of the Celto-Greek adaptations look suspiciously like some of advances the Romans made OTL.

shhhhhh.....

I felt like some things just needed to be explicitly spelled out. It would take forever to write every one of those details out in the storyline.

That really depends on how accepting of these adaptations the other armies are, and how much contact they get with them as well.

That really depends on how accepting of these adaptations the other armies are, and how much contact they get with them as well.
I feel like it's not so much of a question accepting as it is getting their ass handed to them... But yeah, that would depend on the success of these Celto-Greeks.