The Weighted Scales: The World of an Aborted Rome

I was thinking that in OTL Rome managed to rise again after Gallic invasion also because it sent part of the population at Caere, among with the Vestals and their religious symbols, so not decretating the death of the city after the invasion...

But in the end, even if i enjoy the TL, as Romanophile and studious of Roman history, in the end i suggest a sort of legacy and conciliation between Rasna and Latins: the Roman survivors fled and reorganized at Veii, among with other Etrucians...in effect, OTL there was the idea in certain Roman ambients to rebuild their civilty on the site of their old enemy...

actually, i had a similar idea. the surviving latins would certainly run to the nearest cities, most of which were etruscan, and possibly change the demographics there quite a bit.

this will likely come into play later

there will be many cities vying for dominance over the med. sea, that is all i am willing to give away just yet

Few are as well-positioned as Carthage, however.

The big question is, will the celts ever develop seagoing traditions?

actually, i had a similar idea. the surviving latins would certainly run to the nearest cities, most of which were etruscan, and possibly change the demographics there quite a bit.

this will likely come into play later

Massalia could be a destination for them.
Without Rome causing the Etruscans and Italian Celts to unite it may not need to become a Roman satellite against a Etruscan-Celt-Carthaginian alliance.
A stronger Massalia would have an interesting effect on the Gauls.

Few are as well-positioned as Carthage, however.

The big question is, will the celts ever develop seagoing traditions?

They actually did in OTL, at least to a degree (specifically, in the Atlantic region). I mean, otherwise the metal trade from the Tin Isles (read: Britain) to Tartessos/Gadir wouldn't have worked out.

Aremorican tribes like the Veneti and the Namnetes are also actually mentioned to have possessed seagoing vessels that were larger and sturdier than Roman galleys, however this technique seems to have become lost when the Romans conquered Aremorica and enslaved the mentioned tribes.

(and uh oh, I am making a major spoiler here for the TL that I am working on... :D )

Aremorican tribes like the Veneti and the Namnetes are also actually mentioned to have possessed seagoing vessels that were larger and sturdier than Roman galleys, however this technique seems to have become lost when the Romans conquered Aremorica and enslaved the mentioned tribes.

I'm aware of that, yes :p

They aren't the same celts as those under Brennus.

I'm aware of that, yes :p

They aren't the same celts as those under Brennus.

This is true. The ancestors of the Cisalpine Celts came (judging from similar tribal names at least) from central-northern Gaul and Hercynia, so their expertise with seafaring, with high certainty, was basically nill.

Massalia could be a destination for them.
Without Rome causing the Etruscans and Italian Celts to unite it may not need to become a Roman satellite against a Etruscan-Celt-Carthaginian alliance.
A stronger Massalia would have an interesting effect on the Gauls.
It would be to close to somes Celts tribe.

Chapter One: Reign of the Senones
Part Three: The Foundations of Sena

porticiercolani01.jpg

Located on the Adriatic, the town the Senones settled, which would later become a city to be known as Sena [1] had humble beginnings. Originally the war encampment of Brennos’ Senone horde on the mouth of the River Misa, it would later become a major political center of Italia in later decades.

When Brennos returned from his war with the Romans, he came back to Sena with all the riches of the burnt city. The women of the city were taken by the Celtic soldiers and distributed as wives or servants. It is estimated that after the burning of Roma, and the consequent rape of Roman women, the Senone population boomed into the next generation. Roman workers and slaves had two options: enslavement under the Senones, or sacrifice to the Celtic gods. Most chose slavery, and carried much of the rubble of Roma across the Apennines to Sena to help build the city.

While Brennos by no means had any plans of a grand city, he was pragmatic. From the stones of Roman buildings, a defensive wall was built around Sena. Like many Celtic cities of the period, Sena was shaped in a fort-like foundation with the wealthiest parts of the city found at the center. But the city certainly had an Italian flair with stone walls, and houses, though of Celtic architecture, built from materials used in Italian houses.

In 378 B.E. (385 B.C.) Brennos officially declared himself the King of the Sena. Though the decision would seem obvious, several Senone nobles challenged Brennos for the right to the throne. Two prominent contenders included the chieftains Catugaesum and Tarvos [2]. Rallying their men, the three chieftains quickly resorted to violence to validate their claim to the throne.

Catugaesum’s faction met Brennos in battle that summer outside Sena. The two forces, relatively small compared to the force sent to sack Clevsin and Roma, probably comprised of one thousand men on each side.

Catugaesum stood out in front of his army dressed in full Celtic noble armor. His long mustache flowed in the wind as he shouted insults at Brennos, called him a coward, the son of a swine and a whore, and insulted his masculinity. Brennos responded by shouting back that Catugaesum was the coward, not he, and that Catugaesum could not pleasure a woman without having the shaft of a spear to assist him in penetrating [3]. Both sides beat their shields and blew their war-horns like wolves howling in the wind.

Celtic-warrior.jpg

Battle quickly ensued. In the fray, Brennos met Catugaesum and the two fought. In the end, Brennos came out victorious, hewing Catagaesum in half with his sword. As was tradition, Brennos claimed his enemy’s head and hung it from around the neck of his horse.

While Catugaesum’s doom is well documented, little is known about the fate of Brennos’ other rival for the throne, Tarvos. Sources are contradictory, as some claim that Brennos defeated him in a duel before both of their armies, while other sources claim that Tarvos surrendered his claim to the throne in exchange for gold and land.

Regardless, it is certain that by the end of 377 B.E. (384 B.C.) the Senone chieftain Brennos claimed the title of Senonirix [4], King of Sena.

-----------
[1] Likely derived from the tribal name Senone by other Italic tribes
[2] Names mean “Battle-Spear” and “Bull” respectively. I must admit that both of these men are fictional, because so little is known about the Senones of this period.
[3] Not exactly classy or heroic, but the Celts definitely knew how to make someone feel like shit before killing them.
[4] Literally means king of the Senones. At this period, the name the Senones gave their city is unknown. The city would only later be known as Sena.

Viva la Sena.

Glad you like them :)

Feedback is always welcome, especially in this section. In the original TL, there is about a 20 year gap that I skipped over in this point of the AH (giving me virtually nothing to go off of), so any pointers or ideas are more than welcome

Roman slaves under Senon yoke... my heart is bleeding, but the update is awesome.;)

Maybe we will see soon the mark S.P.Q.S. (Senatus Popolusque Senones)? :D

And Brennos assumed the role of a mythical hero...:cool:

You've done some hard research for this TL, Errnge, and I'm really pleased with it. One thing though, Brennus' Senones were after the countryside around the Etruscan city of Clusium, which led to the war with Rome in the first place. The lands around Sena on the Italian east coast were agriculturally poor, so even though they might maintain a presence in Sena, Clusium would have been the new Senone powerbase if Brennus had gotten his way. Apart from that, great work.:)

You've done some hard research for this TL, Errnge, and I'm really pleased with it. One thing though, Brennus' Senones were after the countryside around the Etruscan city of Clusium, which led to the war with Rome in the first place. The lands around Sena on the Italian east coast were agriculturally poor, so even though they might maintain a presence in Sena, Clusium would have been the new Senone powerbase if Brennus had gotten his way. Apart from that, great work.:)

thanks, that means a lot to me.

well, the thing is, i presume the Senones didn't get their way at Clusium, so they as of yet are still along the Adriatic. They will start waging wars against the Etruscans though, because that's what they wanted in the first place, right?

thanks for the comments guys, means a lot to me.

again, any pointers in this time period are very welcome :)