Main Building of Moscow State University, Moscow 1981

image0.jpg

Piccadilly Circus, London 1981.

03koreataxi-1-jumbo.jpg

Gwangju May 1980 (Getty Pictures)

Part I: Preamble I

gettyimages-1251330011mod-1607443433.jpg

John and the man who would try to shoot him five hours later (Paul Goresh)​

"I mean I saw Jeff "Cutter" Culkin just struggling with Chapman. The Coast Guard vet was having a fight with Chapman and I swear I saw him wrestle the gun from Chapman's hands, start clubbing Chapman with the handle of the gun and then throw the revolver so hard at a wall that the wheel came out of the gun. Cutter was more mad afterwards that the police were mad he broke the gun, Culkin said, 'I am sorry if my struggle to survive inconvenienced you you bent fuck!' Yeah Cutter Culkin was not fond of the NYPD."
Jay Hastings, Concierge at the Dakota

Gunman Targets John Lennon, Lennon Escaped Unharmed
New York Times : December 9th, 1980

Musician John Lennon formerly of the Beatles was shocked when after being delayed from returning from his wife's Yoko Ono recording session near Times Square left later last night and arrived to see New York City Police around his residence, the Famous Dakota Apartment building. A doorman noticed the gunman and was suspicious of the man. The doorman asked some questions and the the doorman noticed his revolver. A struggle ensued and the doorman disarmed the man with the gun. An eyewitness to the fight said after hitting the gunman with his own weapon the doorman threw the gun at the stone façade of the Dakota and the revolver shattered. Mr. Lennon said he is happy to be safe according to his spokesman.

david-bowie-in-kyoto-1.jpg

Picture by Masayoshi Sukita​
Bowie Considering moving to Japan?
Rolling Stone January 1981

It has been rumored that British singer, David Bowie has considered Japan as a possible home. While Bowie has not said anything concrete he has not ruled it out again saying he loves the ancient capital of Kyoto, He certainly likes Japan more right now than it's "democratic" neighbor South Korea whom he was very critical of. Bowie said his hesitation is he is worried life in Japan would make him loose his edge.

Today, a new Republican administration was sworn in. Reagan will make this nation a better place I can feel it! I came in with the Bush people but still I am in the White House, so many doors will open to me because of this and so many legs will open too...

Excerpts from the diary of Tom Waller; January 20th, 1981.

I was late meeting Senator Hart for my new staffer job. Great...
Excerpt of the diary of Mary Cho; February 1st, 1981

Excerpt from The Long Way Round: My Rise In The FBI by Erik Nyygard with Val Vaccaro and Dennis Lundgaard First Edition 2016

Good God my career went odd places, from San Antonio, Atlanta, Tokyo, briefly in New York, DC, Honolulu, LA, back to New York, and then finally back to DC. It was a career that the first decade I really didn't think I'd make much of a career after an operation in Alabama. God who'd think that would turn out as it did. All because I got burned out after dealing with a racist ass of a USDA and future failed candidate.

My path brought me across interesting people and people who would be my enemies, my friends, my allies, and one lucky lady would become my wife.

But where did this lunkhead go right? I am not sure how events went lucky for me but they did.

My husband is an idiot. That moron thinks stealing cash from a bank using foreign nationals from Italy will work? I met these fools and they ain't mafia I can tell you that as they were in awe of my tattoos. These guys look like some sort of foreigner you'd see in a TV show that is playing Italian, American, Russian, and so forth because we can't get many that act. Yuji thinks it is a wise idea to hit a Mitsubishi armored car while it is in transit and copy what the 300 million yen robbers did 13 years ago.

Yuji thinks we can get 600 to 700 million yen. I tell him he's a moron. I love my Yakuza hubby but he'll never get approval from the old goats who run this county. You think they'd approve of it. We'd be sloppy and they'd want a majority of the money. And Yuji would have to kill them idiots. I think it is better to run our bath houses and pachinko parlors.

We aren't big but Yuji and his soldiers run a small little empire here in Western Tokyo. My husband's father created the little family, the Nakamura Family which is under the Inagawa-kai. It used to be more independent but my father-in-law saw the strength of the Inagawa-Kai and he had his family join the clan. But this robbery will cause us problems. This whole robbery is because my husband is an addict.

Yuji loves meth. it's gonna get him thrown in jail or killed. I can't believe the man I love is destroying himself with meth. This robbery is more to hide a hundred million he stole from family funds. I suspect my husband is gonna get killed. I am gonna have to be very smart after the planned robbery. Yuji is dumb enough to lead the cops and the bosses back to himself. If all the money doesn't get turned to more meth for Yuji to drink.

I will try to keep my daughter, Saya, away from this lifestyle. My hope is Yuji doesn't hurt her. He nearly attacked the two year old.

It is odd as my husband uses me as sort of his number two. I often am his strategists, I was a sukeban [1], I ran a gang of girls in Tokyo in the early 1970s. We were a feared biker gang. We essentially practiced our own protection rackets. I had my past and I was always expected to shut up, but Yuji was a fuck up I loved him but he was a fuck up. The man has been a disappointment. I hope this bank robbery goes wrong in way that doesn't splash onto me or the kids...

The world is fucked up. Some lunatic shot President Reagan almost a week ago.

Now I am going to the Sagami Dam after a drive its just a nice place to unwind with a cigar.

Personal journal of Sara Nakamura dated April 5th, 1981

WinterTech Internal Memo April 6th, 1981

How did Osborne beat us and IBM? I expected IBM but not Osborne! We'll need to do more tests to ensure our portable is ready by Chicago Technology Conference in September.
CEO Amelia Winter to Chief Technology Officer Elaine Graham

Ford on a run for Congress?
Mankato Free Press April 9th, 1981

DFL State Representative Danny Ford (31), from Mankato has been mentioned as a contender against Tom Hagedorn in 1982. Mr. Hagedorn who Represents the Second District has had his seat redistricted to the Minnesota 1st. On the possible chance of running for Congress Mr. Ford told the Free Press, "I haven't made up my mind but I'd need to talk to my wife first. If I run, I am in it to win it."

Colin,
If you're still interested in the meeting come to Kilcannon's along Foyle Road. After that we'll see where we go, keep your Saturday open.

Johnny

Letter by Johnny Reynolds to Colin O’Fallon, amongst recovered documents released by MI5 showing initial possible initiation of Colin O’Fallon in the Provisional Irish Republican Army. Exact date written unknown believed to be April 10th, 1981

Partners in the Press: The Vacarro and Lungaard Story by Val Vacarro, Dennis Lundgaard, and Dennis Craig Thompson
Letter Jacket excerpt.

"Vacarro, You're getting a green reporter from Minnesota, his name is Lundgaard, getting Chicago. He was pretty good there. So work with him." My boss at the time, Daily New Editor for Metro, Bill Coen told me.

"Not some hayseed!" I complained to him.

"Suck it up Vacarro!" Coen told me.

"Oh hi!" came this gigantic 6'4 tall blonde haired blue eyed, glasses wearing man in a business suit, "Dennis Lundgaard." He introduced himself, and that's how I met my writing partner Denny Lundgaard.

New Superstation to Compete with CNN
Saint Paul Pioneer Press February 6th, 1981

Gary Kerr of the Kerr Advertising agency and a man who has made a fortune in chemicals and real estate has announced he plans to upgrade the old WLTC [2] independent TV station and making into making it into an international news TV station with offices in Kerr thinks that such a company could operate out of Minneapolis. Mr. Kerr plans to call the new channel World Cable News. Kerr as reached out to veteran news men...

"I was writing my first fantasy series when I saw the UFO outside of Buffalo. Who'd think a UFO would make me famous before I wrote my Criminals And Warriors Series and then Elves Of Buffalo. Both were urban fantasies but I am best known for the Hecate series. Never would've thought that was gonna be as popular as it was, didn't think I'd get the courage to write after I saw the UFO but I got the confidence to write my novels.
Opal Graham, author of fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Satire. UFO witness

Inside the Cartel S1, E08

[Come back from Commercial Break]

Montage- We see establishing shots of Medellin, Colombia before it zooms out from the city in a globe view and zooms in on Colorado, USA and has a square around a location named ADX Florence

Narrator:
Perhaps one of the few people with the better understandings of Pablo Escobar that is still alive was one of his best hit men, Armando Luis Vásquez Valencia, Armando Vásquez is his official name but he states it is a name he rarely used be from a small farming village. Armando was a top killer for Escobar. When Escobar wanted people killed, Armando did it and took pictures with an instant camera.​

ADX Florence Interior - We see an older Colombian man in an orange prison jumpsuit, he was in his sixties wearing glasses, he had a mustache, short grey hair, and he was with a bible. He was sitting politely as the crew got ready to interview him.

Armando: (In Spanish)
If I had known the trouble joining Escobar's crew would get me I'd never have joined. All the death I caused. Looking back on it now, I can only hope God has a big enough heart to forgive me for all I have done. I started as a minor soldier and rose to be one of his top hitmen. If I had known who I was aiming at along with Galan that night in August 1989 I'd have not pulled the trigger, but I opened up a Pandora's box on my end and we angered an annoyed dragon and made it mad in America. My actions made the cartels a big target by the North Americans.

Interviewer: (In Spanish)
So you shot at Senator Luis Galan?

Yes. And that American he was with. I am not sure how he survived but I regretted he did back then. Now I am thankful both Galan and the American survived...

Interviewer:
So your actions brought down the American Special Forces upon your head and the cartels' heads?

Armando: (Sadly)
Yes.

"Felix, please remind Andy he has to be at the play by 7 or I'll kick his ass!" Miss Atkins told me this morning, threatening Master Warner. She knew how to fight and unlike Master Warner, she'd hit below the belt.
Felix Hayles, valet to Andrew Warner to a reporter of the Boston Globe.

References

[1]Sukeban is a Japanese Term for girl boss of a girl gang. Sara here was the boss of a girl gang that were bōsōzoku , 暴走族, literally "running-out-of-control (as of a vehicle) tribe". We'll be seeing more of her soon.
[2] Not based on any real TV stations with those letters. Fictional.

Well there is the intro post, I hope it sates some curiosity.

I am grateful to @Geekhis Khan for pushing me to create this story. And I thank lot of other folks like @varyar @theg*ddam*hoi2fan @BlackWave @gap80 and others for helping me.

Last edited:
Why redo this?

I was unhappy before in changing narrative styles

But it has only been 7 months since it ended?

Yeah and I can't change it when I want it is my story

Isn't this silly?

It could be I can't tell I may have fun.

The Way Life’s Meant To Be: Redux
An AJM8888 story

tumblr_nklhtbzYGD1sqxw6oo1_500.jpg

Nishi-Shinjuku Tokyo early 1980s

23700899.jpg

Times Square, Facing South, 1981

10cf1352a3453e598395a19b44f217a0.jpg

Main Building of Moscow State University, Moscow 1981

image0.jpg

Piccadilly Circus, London 1981.

03koreataxi-1-jumbo.jpg

Gwangju May 1980 (Getty Pictures)

Part I: Preamble I

gettyimages-1251330011mod-1607443433.jpg

John and the man who would try to shoot him five hours later (Paul Goresh)​

"I mean I saw Jeff "Cutter" Culkin just struggling with Chapman. The Coast Guard vet was having a fight with Chapman and I swear I saw him wrestle the gun from Chapman's hands, start clubbing Chapman with the handle of the gun and then throw the revolver so hard at a wall that the wheel came out of the gun. Cutter was more mad afterwards that the police were mad he broke the gun, Culkin said, 'I am sorry if my struggle to survive inconvenienced you you bent fuck!' Yeah Cutter Culkin was not fond of the NYPD."
Jay Hastings, Concierge at the Dakota

Gunman Targets John Lennon, Lennon Escaped Unharmed
New York Times : December 9th, 1980

Musician John Lennon formerly of the Beatles was shocked when after being delayed from returning from his wife's Yoko Ono recording session near Times Square left later last night and arrived to see New York City Police around his residence, the Famous Dakota Apartment building. A doorman noticed the gunman and was suspicious of the man. The doorman asked some questions and the the doorman noticed his revolver. A struggle ensued and the doorman disarmed the man with the gun. An eyewitness to the fight said after hitting the gunman with his own weapon the doorman threw the gun at the stone façade of the Dakota and the revolver shattered. Mr. Lennon said he is happy to be safe according to his spokesman.

david-bowie-in-kyoto-1.jpg

Picture by Masayoshi Sukita​
Bowie Considering moving to Japan?
Rolling Stone January 1981

It has been rumored that British singer, David Bowie has considered Japan as a possible home. While Bowie has not said anything concrete he has not ruled it out again saying he loves the ancient capital of Kyoto, He certainly likes Japan more right now than it's "democratic" neighbor South Korea whom he was very critical of. Bowie said his hesitation is he is worried life in Japan would make him loose his edge.

Today, a new Republican administration was sworn in. Reagan will make this nation a better place I can feel it! I came in with the Bush people but still I am in the White House, so many doors will open to me because of this and so many legs will open too...

Excerpts from the diary of Tom Waller; January 20th, 1981.

I was late meeting Senator Hart for my new staffer job. Great...
Excerpt of the diary of Mary Cho; February 1st, 1981

Excerpt from The Long Way Round: My Rise In The FBI by Erik Nyygard with Val Vaccaro and Dennis Lundgaard First Edition 2016

Good God my career went odd places, from San Antonio, Atlanta, Tokyo, briefly in New York, DC, Honolulu, LA, back to New York, and then finally back to DC. It was a career that the first decade I really didn't think I'd make much of a career after an operation in Alabama. God who'd think that would turn out as it did. All because I got burned out after dealing with a racist ass of a USDA and future failed candidate.

My path brought me across interesting people and people who would be my enemies, my friends, my allies, and one lucky lady would become my wife.

But where did this lunkhead go right? I am not sure how events went lucky for me but they did.

My husband is an idiot. That moron thinks stealing cash from a bank using foreign nationals from Italy will work? I met these fools and they ain't mafia I can tell you that as they were in awe of my tattoos. These guys look like some sort of foreigner you'd see in a TV show that is playing Italian, American, Russian, and so forth because we can't get many that act. Yuji thinks it is a wise idea to hit a Mitsubishi armored car while it is in transit and copy what the 300 million yen robbers did 13 years ago.

Yuji thinks we can get 600 to 700 million yen. I tell him he's a moron. I love my Yakuza hubby but he'll never get approval from the old goats who run this county. You think they'd approve of it. We'd be sloppy and they'd want a majority of the money. And Yuji would have to kill them idiots. I think it is better to run our bath houses and pachinko parlors.

We aren't big but Yuji and his soldiers run a small little empire here in Western Tokyo. My husband's father created the little family, the Nakamura Family which is under the Inagawa-kai. It used to be more independent but my father-in-law saw the strength of the Inagawa-Kai and he had his family join the clan. But this robbery will cause us problems. This whole robbery is because my husband is an addict.

Yuji loves meth. it's gonna get him thrown in jail or killed. I can't believe the man I love is destroying himself with meth. This robbery is more to hide a hundred million he stole from family funds. I suspect my husband is gonna get killed. I am gonna have to be very smart after the planned robbery. Yuji is dumb enough to lead the cops and the bosses back to himself. If all the money doesn't get turned to more meth for Yuji to drink.

I will try to keep my daughter, Saya, away from this lifestyle. My hope is Yuji doesn't hurt her. He nearly attacked the two year old.

It is odd as my husband uses me as sort of his number two. I often am his strategists, I was a sukeban [1], I ran a gang of girls in Tokyo in the early 1970s. We were a feared biker gang. We essentially practiced our own protection rackets. I had my past and I was always expected to shut up, but Yuji was a fuck up I loved him but he was a fuck up. The man has been a disappointment. I hope this bank robbery goes wrong in way that doesn't splash onto me or the kids...

The world is fucked up. Some lunatic shot at President Reagan almost a week ago.

Now I am going to the Sagami Dam after a drive its just a nice place to unwind with a cigar.

Personal journal of Sara Nakamura dated April 5th, 1981

WinterTech Internal Memo April 6th, 1981

How did Osborne beat us and IBM? I expected IBM but not Osborne! We'll need to do more tests to ensure our portable is ready by Chicago Technology Conference in September.
CEO Amelia Winter to Chief Technology Officer Elaine Graham

Ford on a run for Congress?
Mankato Free Press April 9th, 1981

DFL State Representative Danny Ford (31), from Mankato has been mentioned as a contender against Tom Hagedorn in 1982. Mr. Hagedorn who Represents the Second District has had his seat redistricted to the Minnesota 1st. On the possible chance of running for Congress Mr. Ford told the Free Press, "I haven't made up my mind but I'd need to talk to my wife first. If I run, I am in it to win it."

Colin,
If you're still interested in the meeting come to Kilcannon's along Foyle Road. After that we'll see where we go, keep your Saturday open.

Johnny

Letter by Johnny Reynolds to Colin O’Fallon, amongst recovered documents released by MI5 showing initial possible initiation of Colin O’Fallon in the Provisional Irish Republican Army. Exact date written unknown believed to be April 10th, 1981

Partners in the Press: The Vacarro and Lungaard Story by Val Vacarro, Dennis Lundgaard, and Dennis Craig Thompson
Letter Jacket excerpt.

"Vacarro, You're getting a green reporter from Minnesota, his name is Lundgaard, getting Chicago. He was pretty good there. So work with him." My boss at the time, Daily New Editor for Metro, Bill Coen told me.

"Not some hayseed!" I complained to him.

"Suck it up Vacarro!" Coen told me.

"Oh hi!" came this gigantic 6'4 tall blonde haired blue eyed, glasses wearing man in a business suit, "Dennis Lundgaard." He introduced himself, and that's how I met my writing partner Denny Lundgaard.

New Superstation to Compete with CNN
Saint Paul Pioneer Press February 6th, 1981

Gary Kerr of the Kerr Advertising agency and a man who has made a fortune in chemicals and real estate has announced he plans to upgrade the old WLTC [2] independent TV station and making into making it into an international news TV station with offices in Kerr thinks that such a company could operate out of Minneapolis. Mr. Kerr plans to call the new channel World Cable News. Kerr as reached out to veteran news men...

"I was writing my first fantasy series when I saw the UFO outside of Buffalo. Who'd think a UFO would make me famous before I wrote my Criminals And Warriors Series and then Elves Of Buffalo. Both were urban fantasies but I am best known for the Hecate series. Never would've thought that was gonna be as popular as it was, didn't think I'd get the courage to write after I saw the UFO but I got the confidence to write my novels.
Opal Graham, author of fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Satire. UFO witness

Inside the Cartel S1, E08

[Come back from Commercial Break]

Montage- We see establishing shots of Medellin, Colombia before it zooms out from the city in a globe view and zooms in on Colorado, USA and has a square around a location named ADX Florence

Narrator:
Perhaps one of the few people with the better understandings of Pablo Escobar that is still alive was one of his best hit men, Armando Luis Vásquez Valencia, Armando Vásquez is his official name but he states it is a name he rarely used be from a small farming village. Armando was a top killer for Escobar. When Escobar wanted people killed, Armando did it and took pictures with an instant camera.​

ADX Florence Interior - We see an older Colombian man in an orange prison jumpsuit, he was in his sixties wearing glasses, he had a mustache, short grey hair, and he was with a bible. He was sitting politely as the crew got ready to interview him.

If I had known the trouble joining Escobar's crew would get me I'd never have joined. All the death I caused. Looking back on it now, I can only hope God has a big enough heart to forgive me for all I have done. I started as a minor soldier and rose to be one of his top hitmen. If I had known who I was aiming at along with Galan that night in August 1989 I'd have not pulled the trigger, but I opened up a Pandora's box on my end and we angered an annoyed dragon and made it mad in America. My actions made the cartels a big target by the North Americans.

Interviewer: (In Spanish)
So you shot at Senator Luis Galan?

Yes. And that American he was with. I am not sure how he survived but I regretted he did back then. Now I am thankful both Galan and the American survived...

Interviewer:
So your actions brought down the American Special Forces upon your head and the cartels' heads?

Armando: (Sadly)
Yes.

"Felix, please remind Andy he has to be at the play by 7 or I'll kick his ass!" Miss Atkins told me this morning, threatening Master Warner. She knew how to fight and unlike Master Warner, she'd hit below the belt.
Felix Hayles, valet to Andrew Warner to a reporter of the Boston Globe.

References

[1]Sukeban is a Japanese Term for girl boss of a girl gang. Sara here was the boss of a girl gang that were bōsōzoku , 暴走族, literally "running-out-of-control (as of a vehicle) tribe". We'll be seeing more of her soon.
[2] Not based on any real TV stations with those letters. Fictional.

Well there is the intro post, I hope it sates some curiosity.

I am grateful to @Geekhis Khan for pushing me to create this story. And I thank lot of other folks like @varyar @theg*ddam*hoi2fan @BlackWave @gap80 and others for helping me.
Great writing! Love your style and the way you divide the segments!

Personal point, I can’t tell what the PoDs/changes are (other than Lennon not dying, and the Escobar one). I think it would help to include a list of the changes at the end alongside the [1] numbered clarification points.

Great writing! Love your style and the way you divide the segments!

Personal point, I can’t tell what the PoDs/changes are (other than Lennon not dying, and the Escobar one). I think it would help to include a list of the changes at the end alongside the [1] numbered clarification points.
Well we’ll see them as the story goes along I’d be doing a poor intro if I didn’t leave some mystery... ;)

Well we’ll see them as the story goes along I’d be doing a poor intro if I didn’t leave some mystery... ;)
Sounds good then. Just felt a bit odd having no idea what was going on with David Bowie, or IBM, or a Japanese gang heist, but I’m happy to wait and see what you’ve got, since you’ve clearly got skill.

Sounds good then. Just felt a bit odd having no idea what was going on with David Bowie, or IBM, or a Japanese gang heist, but I’m happy to wait and see what you’ve got, since you’ve clearly got skill.
It will come. Don’t worry.

I'm very much intrigued, as this so far seems like a bunch of totally unrelated PODs and I look forward to seeing how it comes together.

Prologue Part 1: A Funeral, Several Eruptions, Windstorms, and Other News
News Prologue Part 1: A Funeral, Several Eruptions, Windstorms, and Other News

_112010922_e57c251c-1b7e-4460-9918-3b53b6dd0262.jpg

SAS soldiers raid the Iranian Embassy in London killing all but one terrorist on May 5th, 1980. (Source PA Media/BBC)

Sahrana_Josipa_Broza_Tita.jpg

Tito's Funeral Procession (Source: Wikipedia)

Carter to attend Tito Funeral
The Washington Post: May 6th, 1980.

Despite a busy re-election schedule and the recent failure of a rescue operation for the American hostages in Tehran, President Carter has stated he will attend the funeral of recently deceased Yugoslavian leader, Josip Broz Tito. With the majority of Communist heads of state coming to visit the funeral and majority of Western leaders also in attendance Carter has decided to attend the funeral as Yugoslavia has proud independent communist system from the Soviet Union. On his decision to go, President Carter said, "I may meet (Soviet) General Secretary Brezhnev at the funeral but such an occasion is not for treaties." President Carter has faced criticism from former CIA director and Presidential candidate George H. W. Bush for going ... [1]

Carter faces backlash after he Shakes Arafat’s Hand at Tito Funeral
The Wall Street Journal: May 8th, 1980

President Jimmy Carter is facing severe backlash from Republicans, Israeli officials, and Jewish groups after shaking PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat’s hand while meeting other heads of state. The handshake seemed to happen suddenly as Carter was surprised by Arafat and the President shook his hand and so did British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Both Cater and Thatcher had hoped to use the funeral to condemn the Soviet Invasion. [2]

Also present at the funeral were Soviet General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev, French Prime Minister Raymond Barre, Italian Prime Minister Francesco Cossiga, Romanian Leader Nicolae Ceausescu, East German Leader Erich Honecker, North Korean Dictator Kim Il-Sung, and many others. This is one of the largest gatherings of heads of state and heads government in recent memory. [3]

AP_071012015567.jpg

A car hangs nearly off the edge of a destroyed Sunshine Skyway Bridge after the MV Summit Venture hit the bridge after encountering bad weather May 9th, 1980. (Source: AP Photo/Jackie Green)

Mount St. Helens Erupts!
The New York Times, May 19th, 1980

Mount St. Helens the volcanic mountain in Washington State erupted May 18th, killing an unknown number of people and covering hundreds of square miles of land with ash. The volcano erupted around 8:32 AM after an earthquake was recorded on the mountain. The massive mud flow and ash cloud is likely to have killed many people but officials in Washington state and Oregon are unsure how bad the casualties are. President Carter will likely allow Washington State a federal disaster declaration. This last volcano that erupted in the Continental United States was Larsen Peak in California which erupted from 1915 to 1917. The amount devastation on the local economy is unknown at this time...

The_Empire_Strikes_Back_%281980_film%29.jpg

The Poster to The Empire Strikes Back, released May 21st, 1980. The film would be the biggest of 1980. (Source: Wikipedia)

South Korean Uprising Put Down
The Boston Globe : May 21st, 1980

Tokyo:
Sources from the cut off city of Gwangju, indicate that the protests against the government that have gone on since May 18th, have ended. The protests began when students having a protest at a local university were fired upon. This set of a powder keg of anger that the Korean people had felt since the declaration of martial law since last October. The protests had support from many locals and despite efforts by the government news of the protests got out. Many Koreas in America are blaming the US for their support of the dictatorship and it's oppressive regime. Sang Jong-Yul [4], a Korean immigrant to Boston said "With Park's death people hoped democracy would return but the army took over and now it is official. But since the US government supports it, many in Korea will not be happy with the American soldiers there."

The American government has stated that they did not know what the troops were going to be deployed for in Gwangju. [5] The death toll is unknown but could be in the thousands...

640px-CNN.svg.png

CNN logo. CNN would begin broadcasting on June 1st, 1980 (Source: CNN and Wikipedia)

Tornadoes Hit Midwest, Twisters Pummel Nebraska City.
Los Angeles Times : June 4th, 1980

Lincoln
: The Midwest is recovering after two days of powerful tornadoes hitting the region. From Pennsylvania and New Jersey to Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, and Nebraska. In particular, the city of Grand Island, Nebraska was hit by multiple tornadoes, the exact number is unknown at this time but it is believed to be at least five tornadoes hit the Nebraska city in under two hours. The devastation is immense, hundreds of homes and businesses destroyed. This has been some of the worse tornadoes to hit Nebraska in recent memory. Casualties are in the hundreds of injured with an unknown number of dead. Nebraska Governor Charles Thorne is expected to formally declare the area a disaster. [6]

318px-Masayoshi_Ohira_at_Andrews_AFB_1_Jan_1980_walking.jpg
Prime Minister Masayoshi Ohira a month before collapsing from exhaustion, he would die June 12, ten days before election. (Source U.S. Defense Department and retrieved from Wikipedia)

Japanese Premier dies ten days before election
The Times : June 12th, 1980

Tokyo (Reuters):
Twelve days after collapsing from exhaustion and losing a confidence vote in the Japanese Diet, Masayoshi Ohira, Premier of Japan since December of 1978, has died. Ohira was visibly shaken when sixty-nine members of his own party, the Liberal Democratic Party, abstained from voting allowing the vote of no confidence to pass and allowing for an election year where both the House of Representatives and the House of Councilors are up for election. Ohira died from a heart attack. The date of the funeral has yet to be announced. Number 10 gave a statement of condolences to the Government of Japan. In Ohira’s place as Premier, Cabinet Secretary Masayoshi Ito has been appointed as an interim premier but a permanent Prime Minister will be elected by the Liberal Democratic Party after the election. [7]

WinterTech to Make New Personal and Business Computers
Wall Street Journal : June 19th, 1980

Minneapolis: New Minnesota based computer company WinterTech has stated they hope to have new personal computer out sometime in 1982 and a business machine later in 1982 but they have something they promise to change the industry in 1981. They are keeping tight lipped what this surprise they will reveal in 1981 but they say it will be transformative. WinterTech is named after founder Amelia Winter who is daughter of Boston area real estate magnate Thurston Winter III. The Winter family are old Boston Brahmin stock with the Winter line going back to Plymouth Colony. Amelia Winter has said she wants to transform the computer into something everyone has in their car, in their home, and on themselves (though that one Miss Winter figures is forty years off), but more important, she wants it to be something everyone wants. Amelia Winter says the new ideas are thanks in part due to her chief designer Elaine Graham. [8] The surprise for 1981 is a major system that WinterTech hopes to take advantage of intime for a major electronics show... [9]

Violent Storms Hit Wisconsin, Eau Claire hit by a Tornado
Minneapolis Daily Star : July 16th 1980

A devastating line of storms tore through Wisconsin with damages caused by severe wind and tornadoes. Straight winds over 100 miles an hour were reported at Chippewa Valley Region Airport. The corporate headquarters to Menards was damaged by the storm. Most of Eau Claire is still without power due to the severe damage caused to power lines and the tornado that hit the city. There are reports of fatalities but they remain very low, so far only one is reported. Farm losses are expected to be high with severe damage to grain bins, fields, and currently delivery of supplies to far will be done by the national guard but roads must be cleared first of felled trees, power lines, and other debris. Governor Lee Dreyfus will likely issue a disaster declaration but he is touring the affected areas today.

One witness, a man named Jeff Culkin said, the storm reminded him of some hurricanes he encountered in the coast guard, “The tree in front of my apartment building been there for forty years, and the wind snapped it in two. Also the wind ripped the roof off of the apartment neighboring building. You don’t see storms like that too often.” [10]

In other areas, semi-trucks were blown over by the winds...

640px-President_Gerald_Ford_makes_a_decision_not_to_run_as_Ronald_Reagan%E2%80%99s_vice_presidential_running_mate_at_the_Republican_National_Convention_in_Detroit.jpg

Former President Gerald Ford after consulting with Senators Bob Dole and Howard Baker and RNC Chairman Bill Brock, Declines Ronald Reagan's offer to be VP. Many leading papers incorrectly predicted it would be Ford and printed wrong headlines, they would run correction later in the day. (Source: Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library)

640px-Photograph_of_Ronald_Reagan_giving_his_Acceptance_Speech_at_the_Republican_National_Convention%2C_Detroit%2C_MI_-_NARA_-_198599.jpg

Former California Governor Ronald Regan accepting his nomination for President at Republican National Convention in Detroit on July 17th, 1980. (Source: Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Moscow Olympics Begin, America and 65 Other Countries Boycotting Games.
The New York Times : July 19th, 1980

Moscow (AP): Today in Moscow the twenty-second modern Olympics began though absent are the United States and sixty-five other nations have refused to participate in the Olympics due to the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan. The Soviets still claim that this will be a great Olympics. While most athletes from boycott nations are not participating those that are, are under the Olympic flag. US coverage of the games is limited with NBC withdrawing it's coverage to mostly be highlights as it the NBC network still has broadcast rights to show the Olympics in the United States. [11]

A String of Upper West Side Robberies Stump Police
The New York Daily News : July 26th, 1980

A string of robberies have have recently occurred in the the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The thefts have occurred at the private residences of many wealthy Manhattanites whom the NYPD have kept the names of those robbed out of the social pages but it is known that some of theses people are very wealthy. The thief or thieves strike when the victim is away and when the police are out on a call elsewhere. The NYPD has yet to find a suspect as the their leave next to no evidence, he steals items that are of great monetary value. Several insurance companies are investigating those robbed to ensure this is not fraud.

The first theft that was reported was reported at the El Dorado...[12]

Shah of Iran dies in Exile in Egypt!
Son of the Shah Claims He is Rightful Ruler of Iran
The New York Post, July 27th, 1980

All pre-bigger POD are minor.

[1] Carter in our world did not go to the funeral it was an election year and it was a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.
[2] This inspired by when Thatcher shook Arafat's hand. With some many heads of state, government and foreign dignitaries it was hard to know who was tapping on her shoulder, here both Carter and Thatcher are surprised.
[3] It is one of the largest gatherings of world leaders in history.
[4] Fictional person used for testimonials
[5] The US government stated they didn't know with their permission to use troops but they likely did now.
[6] This incident would inspire the children's book, The Night of the Twisters. Seven twisters
[7] The LDP would get the sympathy vote because of Ohira's death. In July Zentaro Suzuki would be elected Prime Minister by the Diet. The LDP was still suffering in the wake of the Lockheed Scandal and the successive Douglas-Grumman Scandal. Both were bribery scandals involving said airplane makers.
[8] Fictional story, fictional company but important characters to the story.
[9] This is fictional but it sets things up for later.
[10] Real event that caused millions in damage and it did damage the Menards corporate headquarters. And the wind storm is a derecho a powerful windstorm they can spawn tornadoes
[11] Because of the boycott US Networks really didn’t cover the 1980 Summer games.
[12] Fictional events but the El Dorado is real. This was near the height of crime ridden New York so the story is ont out of character. The thief/thieves are important for later

Last edited: