[Map] Warring State of Libya - September 2026 - A Follow-Up
Warring State of Libya - September 2026
A Follow-Up

Untitled.png

1.1: Script for the first piece, Where's Soleimani?

It’s been an entire month since my last update, my dudes. For the most part, churning out content on a weekly basis isn’t as practical as it used to be, mostly because I formed a step-by-step process that involves planning and script. It’s a bummer since I have a lot to share about this timeline, especially when I want to end this project and move on to another epoch. There are moments where I consider asking someone to help, but I thought that it might lead to some trouble concerning creative differences, and I’m not keen on compromising my vision for the timeline.

However, I’m trying my best to deliver as much as possible. After days of complementing in the dark, I thought sharing some of the ideas might give you folks a picture of the future pieces I’m planning to publish. So without further adieu, here’s the following list of upcoming updates.

Northern Front: Where's Soleimani?

So here’s a list of stuff that never happened in this timeline: COVID-19 didn’t take place, Taliban hasn’t overthrown Kabul yet, Omar al-Bashir still rules Sudan, AUSUK is still a long way, Cyberpunk 2077 didn’t get released, and most importantly, Qassem Soleimani didn’t get assassinated by a drone. I usually avoid shoving current events into this timeline because it doesn’t benefit the narrative of the project, and I don’t like rectonning my writings just to stay relevant; It’s a pet peeve of mine when I look at other alternate history threads.

In this timeline, Soleimani is still alive and well. Instead of crossing through Iraq to have some secret talks with Saudi Arabia, he went there by boat from Bushehr. Since then, the relation between Iran and the former went uphill, and the tension over the Persian Gulf is soothing (well, excluding their ventures against the United States). He’s also (allegedly) responsible for Syria’s normalization with Turkey and their following campaign against the AANES (also known as Rojava), and their waning actions against Iraqi Kurdistan. I have a lot in mind concerning his action post-2020, but I’m shelving it for now.

So what happened to him after 2020? Well, if you folks read my piece on Tripoli under the Green Army, you’ll notice a little link implicating his whereabouts. In all honesty, he pretty much disappeared. Not much as being dead, but rather became the geopolitical equivalent to Where’s Waldo. No one knows where he is: not the IRGC, the Basij, not even the Supreme Leader himself. Thus, a lot of people are coming up with conspiracies since his disappearance: some are pretty sensible, most are pretty ludicrous.

And that’s what I’m planning to write: his whereabouts. Since his subject is the easiest to both script and design, the piece will pretty much be out in a couple of days, at least when I’m done with my other projects.

The Mediterranean: The Shanghai Pact and China’s Sphere of Influence

The title is rather self-explanatory, so I don’t need to ramble on it much. But to give some clarity, the premise entails the premise concerning China’s influence across Eurasia and Africa. It’s going to generalize the extent of their reach and the consequence it has against their waning parallel, the United States.

On the technical side of things, I’m going to use QGIS to form the orthographic projection. I’m planning to phase out my use of maps from DavidRumsey since I’m not restricting myself to limited references anymore. Instead, they’ll probably be more useful for geo-referencing; something I can use to lay out the details. Actually, I might consider making another video tutorial, this time on QGIS. It could be beneficial for folks who want something a bit malleable.

Also, the piece is written by none other than Hubert Douglas, so you folks will be having fun with him.

Northern Front: The Iron Brigade: Serbian Mercenaries of the Free State of Sabha

When Martin Geoff set his foot on Libya, he didn’t come alone with an empty gun in his hand. With his Serbian partner - Ljubomir, he takes over Sabha with a well-armed and well-trained mercenary force behind his back. Even more so, they went from being personal bodyguards of the Head Representative to a khaki-wearing elite airborne formation, basically their equivalent to Rhodesia Light Infantry but in the desert. These folks are pretty much responsible for most of their military triumphs, to the point that Geoff formed Sabha’s Core Army to broaden their capabilities.

This subject will be illustrated in an article piece, something similar to my post on Tripoli under the Green Army. It’ll have the same author who writes the former since he’s the only few correspondents residing in Libya. It’ll deal with the basic premise ranging from their armaments to their military history.

Briefing in the Situation Room

A few years ago, I wrote a dossier explaining the basic characteristics behind Zaim - the leader of the Green Army. For the most part, it’s a rather simple document to explain his background and personality, but not much else beyond that. It was fun designing them, to the point that I scan a rough print of them to make the piece very authentic. The results are great, but people did point out how flat the characterization is (and rightfully so).

So, in my attempts to retread back over these things, I’m planning a series to introduce these important characters. It’ll be set in the White House’s Situation Room, where they brief over the leaders and major actors of the civil war for President Lars McCallum. I need a little bit of research to get the basics and set the tone, but I have enough lists of topics to choose from so I don’t need to worry that much.

Conclusion

Well, that’s pretty much it from me. After I’m done with one of my other projects, I’ll jumpstart the piece about Soleimani as soon as possible.

Anyway, have fun!

[Media] Northern Front - Where's Soleimani? : A Teaser
Northern Front - Where's Soleimani? : A Teaser

Northern_Front_Article-2.png

Probably my most revealing teaser yet.
There's more to it below, just need to clean out the gunk.
Expect this piece to come out within 2 days...​

Last edited:
[Media] Northern Front - Where's Soleimani?

Northern Front - Where's Soleimani?

Northern_Front_Article-2.png

[Comment Section]

marcayoo - [11 Pts]
Nice work, as usual, my dude. Keep it up!

[Author] Dimitri Vasily - [23 Pts]
You're welcome.

MohammedIdris2321 - [7 Pts]
This is a great piece, but I'm surprised that you didn't mention the sightings and rumours from Lebanon. Ever since his disappearance, people here are going insane over how that helping Hezbollah to drag the country into another war with Israel. It's bad enough that they're making stuff up, it's enough to cause a manhunt in Tyre.

[Author] Dimitri Vasily - [13 Pts]
Thank you for mentioning this, @MohammedIdris2321. To be honest, I didn't put much thought into Lebanon until now. It's mostly an oversight on my part, especially when I'm too focused on making the article as concise as possible.

mrseex - [17 Pts]
To be honest, I don't you did proper justice to the subject. Besides Lebanon, there were also rumours that he's in Kashmir on Pakistan's request and another one from Bosnia; something about training their army. Overall, I think should've dove into the rumours more instead of shortening them.

[Author] Dimitri Vasily - [32 Pts]
Thank you for mentioning this, @MrSeex. Again, it's mostly because I was making the article as concise as possible. I remember people criticizing my writing for being overwhelming and unfocused, so I shortened it.

MilleroftheMiles - [9 Pts]
What does Russia have anything to do with Soleimani?

[Author] Dimitri Vasily - [15 Pts]
It's a brief reference over the allegations that he's either helping them over their last incursion against Ukraine or helping Kadyrov's security force. Either way, it's too vague to be written in a paragraph.

Erikson72244 - [-7 Pts]
If only we have warriors like him on our side. Only then we can purify the world of them.

[Author] Dimitri Vasily - [2 Pts]
Okay???

manof69 - [4 Pts]
You're sure that the tunnels are related to them? IIRC, most of them are 1km long, and they're cleared off by the IDF.

[Author] Dimitri Vasily - [8 Pts]
They clearly said the tunnels went further than 3km, far longer than what Hezbollah managed to build in their south. And if what their surveyors say is true, that the tunnels could go further than 50km, which is outrageous even for them. I'll try my best to link the sources below when I have the time.

ShahAbbas1571- [5 Pts]
What's your next article going to be about, my dude?

[Author] Dimitri Vasily - [16 Pts]
I haven't planned it out yet, to be honest. Maybe a dive on the Islamic State of Libya's court system, but I need to co-author it with someone who knows about them. I heard a friend of mine has his piece rejected by The Mediterranean, so I might collaborate with him.

Author's Note

Admittedly, the stuff I wrote below the piece is filler, but it's something I have in mind for future updates.

I'm writing a follow-up piece concerning the subject, so stay tuned!

[Media] The Mediterranean Main Page - No.2: A Teaser
The Mediterranean Main Page - No.2: A Teaser

Screenshot (27).png

Just finished writing the script for this piece, nothing much to say here.
Fortunately, designing the page is going to be the easiest part, so I'm publishing the full piece within the next 2-4 days.
And yes, I'm back. More on that soon.​

[Media] The Mediterranean Main Page - No.2: A Teaser #2
The Mediterranean Main Page - No.2: A Teaser #2

The_Mediterranean_Main-Page_No01-Teaser.png

It's done; I set all the pieces into place.
Expect it to be published within the next 24 hours since there's not much left to tweak.
Anyway, here's one more piece until I publish the next entry.​

[Media] The Mediterranean Website - (10/11/26)
The Mediterranean Website - (10/11/26)

The_Mediterranean_Main-Page_No-2.png

--- Excerpts ---

(10/11/26)

Indonesia and the SCO: Understanding China's Most Important Ally: While the United States whimpers about the virtues of rules-based order like lonesome spastic: China is doing something that actually benefits their country, a sacred discipline that they seem to forget since the Cold War: Making friends.

The Moe Army: The Japanese Self-Defence Force's Role in the Anime Industry: Despite being a welcoming PR move as it drives up the recruitment rate, the unintentional consequences are felt by the many female soldiers as cases of verbal and even sexual abuse soars, especially since the introduction of state-mandated virtual personalities.

Map: China's Belt and Road Initiative Projects Across Latin America: This map showcases the projects and investments committed by the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative across Latin America.

Italian Navy's Staffetta under investigation over alleged human trafficking: As the Neo-Barbary Crisis adapts to the efforts made by the EU, many corsairs took advantage of the rampant corruption suffered by Italy as the patrol ship is under investigation over alleged human trafficking.

Pentagon: IRGC allegedly responsible for the 2023 Ramstein AFB Bombings: Three Years after the Ramstein AFB Bombings, Pentagon accused Iran Revolutionary Guard Corp of being a major culprit in one of the United States' deadliest incidents since the 1983 Beirut Bombings.

[Literature] Character Introduction: Hubert G. Douglas - International Relations Analyst
Character Introduction
Hubert G. Douglas - International Relations Analyst.

Hubert_DG-Pfp.png

Hello, everyone. My name's Hubert G. Douglas.

I'm an International Relations Analyst, basically someone who figures out the relations between two or three countries. You may know me as the man who wrote TIME's headline article - The West is Red and my recent piece on Libya and NATO. Here, was generously invited by my friend and colleague, ShahAbbas1571, to contribute topics surrounding recent matters, so I thank him for allowing me to write this piece in the first place.

I wrote about a lot of stuff since 1991: I wrote about how Iran's geopolitical strategy and how they outsmarted the United States and Co. over the regional influence of the Middle East (From Cyrus to Khameini), a piece about the optimistic future of West Africa and the role they'll play in the future (The Jewels of the Atlantic), how neoliberal institutions failed to curb down the rising tides of the extreme spectrums of both the right and left in this current political scene (The Noble Failure of Liberalism and Humanism), and how the prospect of authoritarianism is more complex than one might assume (One Man's Tyrant; Another Man's Hero). I also contributed some pieces on the Northern Front and The Mediterranean, lecturing in decent institutions such as The Halls of Perspectives.

Anyway, if you folks are wondering, I recently published an article piece about Indonesia and its rather instrumental role in the Shanghai Pact. I would as far as to call it an addendum since I'm able to address certain subjects I weren't able to in TIME, mostly diving deeper into the consequences of China's rise. And it's also a good opportunity to discuss Indonesia as well, their role within the developing situation criminally underrated.

Anyway, I'll be posting screenshots of my Twitter threads because the link doesn't seem to work here, and I might publish my articles here for free. If you have any questions concerning Libya and developments in IR in general, just ask away! In the meantime, I hope you people have a wonderful time. Goodbye!

[Comments] On JDSF, Anime, and Revision of Article 9
Comments
On JDSF, Anime, and Revision of Article 9

AlexanderBranza: But I just have to ask, state-mandated virtual personalities?

Vtubers, but they're female personnel working to promote national recruitment. The JDSF was devising a PR stunt to hype up their military after they revised Article 9, so they look towards the anime industry to help them out.

The move was a success as the recruitment rate soars exponentially, especially when they're making slice-of-life animes about being a soldier and Vtubers livestreaming 24/7 hours.

While it's pretty outrageous compared to what we have IOTL, I won't be surprised if it actually surmounts into something similar, hence the sub.

As to why it's phrased that way, it's a simple brainstorm.

spleak334: So since article 9 is revised, how different is it since japan has a pretty strong anti-military/pro-pacifism population compare to the old japan of WW2?

Well, they went from renouncing war and the unjustified use of force to expanded self-defense, peacekeeping, and most importantly, "limited" support for belligerent allies. I put limited on quotes because they barely define it, meaning they can just interpret the revision in any way they wish. Like, they can send 20,000 soldiers to wherever part of the globe and still be in line with the revised article.

Sure, they technically have done this before, but the revision legitimizes the JSDF into a far-reaching military with a reasonably large power projection. And so far, the only drastic thing they've done since then is supporting the United States' supposed intervention of Libya by helping them base-building in Niger.

As for how people react to the act, it rather polarizes the local everyman. Either you're an old nationalist who believes that it'll make Japan great again or you're some young ancom who thinks that Japan is sucking off from the United States. It's to the point when they either burned down a recruitment post or have an uncle kill his niece because she didn't like the revision.

I'll probably expand on the subject if I have the time, especially after a couple of research. It'll be interesting to write Japan in a rather eccentric interpretation, tbh.

Author's Note

I've been answering a lot of questions ever since I've written the timeline. I thought some of you guys will lose out on some of the interesting comments I have concerning the questions they have for me.

This one's from DeviantArt, and there are more of them in my gallery.

I might actually do more, especially since it'll add more context to the setting.

--- Excerpts ---

(10/11/26)

Indonesia and the SCO: Understanding China's Most Important Ally: While the United States whimpers about the virtues of rules-based order like lonesome spastic: China is doing something that actually benefits their country, a sacred discipline that they seem to forget since the Cold War: Making friends.

The Moe Army: The Japanese Self-Defence Force's Role in the Anime Industry: Despite being a welcoming PR move as it drives up the recruitment rate, the unintentional consequences are felt by the many female soldiers as cases of verbal and even sexual abuse soars, especially since the introduction of state-mandated virtual personalities.

Map: China's Belt and Road Initiative Projects Across Latin America: This map showcases the projects and investments committed by the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative across Latin America.

Italian Navy's Staffetta under investigation over alleged human trafficking: As the Neo-Barbary Crisis adapts to the efforts made by the EU, many corsairs took advantage of the rampant corruption suffered by Italy as the patrol ship is under investigation over alleged human trafficking.

Pentagon: IRGC allegedly responsible for the 2023 Ramstein AFB Bombings: Three Years after the Ramstein AFB Bombings, Pentagon accused Iran Revolutionary Guard Corp of being a major culprit in one of the United States' deadliest incidents since the 1983 Beirut Bombings.
Interesting to see that Indonesia, of all countries, has signed on to any international organization, let alone one with China (big no-no since the events of 1965).

Curious to see what changed there.

Interesting to see that Indonesia, of all countries, has signed on to any international organization, let alone one with China (big no-no since the events of 1965).

Curious to see what changed there.

Since I'm going to discuss the subject via the map, it's best to wait for the answer soon.

However, let's just say that the United States infuriated Indonesia to the point that they abandoned their long-age tradition of neutrality, at least since the 2020s. Plus, they consider their cooperation with China rather beneficial, despite the objections from the military cadre.

--- Excerpts ---

(10/11/26)

Indonesia becoming a chinese ally, truly alternate history

Author's Log #3: On My Well-Being
Author's Log: On My Well-Being

Note
: This is a Copypasta from my DeviantArt journal, so don't kill me.

Introduction

Since I promised to explain my past predicament, I might as well go into in-depth on the entire endeavor, especially since I got nothing better to do. While I just basically go and say: "Wow, I'm too lazy to write this..." that wouldn't articulate the stuff I've experienced justice, and I imagine you guys deserve a better explanation than that. Also, it'll be fun to explain the whole ordeal since this charade might be relatable, so why not?

Canceled Projects:

So, believe it or not, I didn't sit on my ass and watch the snow melt for three months. In fact, despite my absence, I went through a lot of projects, the ones I've been planning since my last post. I think I've gone through over three projects, but I imagine there's more than the rabbit hole implies. As such, most of them are either scrapped, on hold, or not good enough for me to post with confidence. In short, I didn't post all of my hard work because almost all of them looked like utter crap.

The first one is a redesign of my old map of post-Napoleonic Europe. I thought to myself that after years of cartography, I should give the old pieces a new spin, especially the ones that I don’t like in retrospect. The first few hours of the process went rather well, but it wasn’t after the landmass I began to struggle. I eventually put the project on hold until I can solve the problem, but so far, to no avail.

It’s the same thing for my two other maps: The second one is a map of OTL Europe (using the first attempt as a base), and the third piece is concerned with Granada. It also ended up being lukewarm to me, so I scrapped it entirely, albeit I still have the folders. I actually finished the last piece concerning Greater Iran, but it didn’t look good enough for me, so that ended up in the bin as well.

It wasn’t until Operation Suvorov that I became fully satisfied with the design. The idea was to challenge me in making something stylistically-simple; without the obnoxious colors and all. And it worked out surprisingly well despite its scale: I didn’t have any problems besides a few nitpicks, and the premise is strong enough to believe in the work.

Since then, I’m becoming more confident in my trade, and with the next project I’m working on is going smoothly as well, I feel like I’m getting good at this cartography stuff again.

COVID-19:

Around February, my dad was coughing and sneezing more than usual. I didn’t think much of it at first, though he has had a case of the cold since he got vaccinated a while back, so I didn’t worry myself too much. But it wasn’t until he got his results from the lab saying he was positive that I became rather worried. And unfortunately, after long being exposed to his constant sneezing, I eventually caught similar symptoms to his infection as well.

Since then, I suffered the worst coughing I ever had: Every cough was rather painful around the chest, and it’s hard for me to talk without endlessly coughing my lungs out. I also show symptoms of night sweats and diarrhea, something I never suffered even under a common cold. While I don’t receive an Antigen test to confirm it, I do suspect that I got the Omnicron variant from my dad.

And it gets worse when you have your mom trusting her WhatsApp friends instead of the doctor. It leads to a lot of complications where you have to drink whatever traditional medicine instead of getting a call from the doctor. Sure, the placebo will work at times, but what’s the point when you’re still coughing furiously.

But in the end, I persevered: The symptoms faded away as weeks passed, and I can finally talk again. And fortunately, after heading to the test lab, I finally get a negative result.

Procrastination:

Out of all the excuses I can make to not be active here, the real reason why I’m gone is because of sheer laziness. Despite having more than enough time to make updates on a weekly basis, I feel like that playing DayZ for 6 hours or snoozing my ass on the bed is a better way to waste it instead of doing something productive.

DayZ took a lot of my spare time actually, especially when the update came out. Who knew that whacking someone with spaghetti can feels more satisfying than actually finishing a map piece. And judging by what my Steam account has to say on the matter, I spent +100 hours on a game that barely functions properly. Then again, I genuinely enjoyed Fallout 76 despite being an unfinished game.

Conclusion

In the end, despite having more fun being a bandit and tying people out for my amusement (I don’t do that in DayZ, lol), I know where my true calling lies. Despite the obstacle, I still want to make more content here, especially having bigger plans in the future.

Believe it or not, I still have a lot of ideas for me to make a reality, probably years' worth of it, and that’s me being conservative about it. From finishing my Warring State of Libya timeline to coming up with a new one for Aceh, there are more to come from yours truly, and I haven’t even begun to start.

Well, I hope you understand the predicament I went through… or not, it doesn’t matter. In the end, it’s fun to publish another piece again, especially since you guys are pretty cool to hang out with.

And that’s it for today. I have another project set to be published, so be ready.

Goodbye, my dudes!

The Rashidi Reformation: A Teaser

Screenshot_57.png

Probably my most research-intensive piece since the TIME Magazine
Since I've written a lot about the FSA and the Green Army, it's time to give the other factions some coverage.
Mostly done with half of it, tbh.​

[Media] The Rashidi Reformation
The Rashidi Reformation

ISIL-Flag_Teaser-02.png

The Islamic State Flag after the Convene of Sirte, commissioned by Caliph Al-Rashidi during structural reorganization.

Title: Zaim’s Gambit: A Comprehensive Guide to the Third Libyan Civil War, Pg. 107-121
Author: Joline Steimer
Date: July 9th, 2047

The Rashidi Reformation

“May our deeds be just to those we guide to the righteous path. The ignorance of the Marshal’s scourge ends here!”
- Abdul-Aala bin Al-Rashidi, 2nd Caliph of the Islamic State.

During their re-establishment in Sirte and the preceding spillover of the Scourge of Tripoli, the remnants of the Islamic State once faced significant challenges preventing the legitimizing of their regime. Their ill reputation surmounted under Abu Nabil al-Anbari's governorship during the Second Libyan Civil War and the brain drain crippling the country made the functions of the day-to-day administrations and their ambitions to implement their interpretation of the sharia difficult. Worsened by the fact that those who joined the Al-Ainsihab are merely composed of Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi’s trusted retinues, the lack the skilled administrators gives the impression to many observers that the Daesh will eventually devolve into a bandit state, with its branches withering away to impose their own agendas.

So it was somewhat surprising that nearing his bilious death, he appointed Al-Rashidi out of all his veteran confidants to lead the embittered and distraught remnants. Despite being Al-Baghdadi’s personal secretary since 2017, who merely deals with the management of household duties, the new caliph convened a review of their history and the pitfalls leading to their downfall in West Asia (formerly known as the Middle East). Eventually, the conclusion provided him with the proper context needed to reorganize the Islamic State, paving the way for what Dimitry Vasily termed the Rashidi Reformation [1].

Structural Reorganization

Since the First Battle of Mosul, the Shura Council, which is primarily a conglomerate of Saddam Hussein’s former intelligence officers, had their way in the administrative affairs of their conquered lands. During the Convene of Sirte in 2021, Al-Rashidi cites the lack of proper civilian officials to conduct civilian affairs as one of their grave complications: He asserts that warriors of god should neither administrate nor intervene with day-to-day matters and leave such work to those who are able.

Thus, his first act as caliph was to reorganize the archaic structure of the Islamic State, or more specifically, its lack of proper separation between civilian and military affairs. He delegated the distinguishment between civilian ministries from military formations, eventually dubbing them “Men of the Pen” and “Men of the Sword” [2]. The former consist of local judges, jurists, bureaucrats, and even governors responsible for conducting the day-to-day matters of their people, a position that no militias under the Islamic State are allowed to take. The latter are essentially those who are armed to fight for the defense and expansion of their state. His rationale for such a decision was for both administrators and commanders to run efficiently under their respective expertise, without the careless interloping of those either inadequate or opportunistic.

According to him, such reorganization requires the recruitment of locals into their structural apparatus, which they can only achieve by redeeming themselves upon the Libyan population. During their initial second reign, they campaign the recruitment effort by establishing three specific goals: 1. rehabilitation of government officials, 2. reconstruction of basic facilities such as Ibn Sina Hospital and pipelines of the Great Man-made River, and 3. restoration and reinforcement of divine law. The success of such an effort allowed them to recruit skilled personnel into the new regime; some of them were former officials of either the Haftar’s Junta or the Presidential Council.

With such success taking place, he also emphasized such reorganization in the Shura Council by reserving half of their seats for civilian experts, similar to those of the Green Army. While he still retains the power to appoint them, he was rather considerate to pick the ones who show their expertise instead of token loyalty. He even appoints former officials under Khalifa Haftar, despite the displeasure of his brothers [3].

Rectification of the Sharia

During the height of its power, the Islamic State claimed to follow the legal doctrine of the Siyasa Sharia. Loosely translated as religiously legitimate governance, the concept asserts the premise of a dualistic court established by both the ruler and the Islamic jurist. According to their doctrine, if the Islamic court cannot address a modern controversy through rulings of the sharia (mainly from the Quran, Sunnah, and Hadith), such as traffic violations and carbon emissions, then religious authorities are permitted to appoint secular experts to solve the matter if such ruling serves the goodwill of the Muslim community and does not contradict with any sources of the divine law.

However, such a doctrine is barely implemented properly and without any meritorious results, at least according to the caliph during his structural review. As with any of his conclusions concerning the Convene of Sirte, his grips with the implementation and enforcement of the law were the apparent cases of abuse of power by both their soldiers and the Hisba (meaning religious police) and the extralegal violence that even violates the proper enforcement of the Hudud. To him, such a pitfall delegitimizes the Islamic State and provides opportunistic enemies a casus belli against their regime.

As such, his first effort to rectify the implementation of the law is the establishment of the Wathiqat Al-Dawlah (also known as the Document of the State). Written by the collaborative efforts of local religious jurists, secular lawyers, and Al-Rashidi himself, it is a constitution declaring the social obligation of the Islamic State. In contrast to the Wathiqat Al-Madina (meaning the Document of the City), which establishes rulings its people must comply with, the succeeding document establishes the civil duties of their government and the legal rights their people can practice, especially concerning world affairs such as property dispute and unlawful abuse by militias. Unlike the preceding articles, which make the right of assembly illegal and encourage the confiscation of money from “apostate government” [4] were replaced with limited right of fraternity (as long such grouping does not advocate against the state and its laws) and a semblance of minority rights.

And following the Wathiqat Al-Dawlah, the caliph commissions supplementary legal codes to deal with modern affairs. The Qanun Al-Dawlah (also known as the Rule of the State) is a substitute law that establishes the administrative rulings and regulations of civilian affairs relevant to the modern era. It establishes definitive rulings concerning administrative, customary, and penal regulations that harmonize with the statements of the sharia. Officially, rulings such as penalizing speed violations, domestic child abuse, and internet fraud were examples of articles issued by the caliph to deal with the mundanity not addressed by the sharia. During the issuing of the legal code, the caliph encourages his foreign volunteers, most of whom are either STEM graduates or undergraduates [5], to consult religious jurists in such matters; to establish niche statutes that are compliant with the sharia.

However, the most significant (and rather controversial) of his reformation attempts was the codification of the sharia. His rationale for such an endeavor is to make god’s ruling more comprehensible for both civil courts and the public masses and to assist judges with unifying references needed to reinforce the law of the state. Titled the Majallah Al-Sharia, meaning Journal of the Sharia, compiles a large margin of rulings from religious sources into comprehensible statutes where it can serve as a guide and reference for jurists and judges to rely on. According to his private diaries [6], the compilations were at a 65% completion, but the attempt was later postponed and eventually abandoned due to disputes with factions against Al-Rashidi’s regime. However, remnants of the journals survived long enough for his court to use such reference and once referenced as a thought experiment for Indonesia’s current president: Muhammad Ali Shah.

Such rectification can only manifest with proper enforcement, one that does not exceed its mandate or commit extra-legal violence out of spite. Thus, the caliph abolished the Hisba, the religious police once operated under Al-Baghdadi, in favor of expanding the Al-Shurta Al-Islamiyya, the Islamic State’s civilian police force, by introducing religious legal specialists to each regional division and disciplinary training program to minimize senseless coercion.

Ideological Retraction

After the loss of core territories in Iraq and Syria, many within the Islamic State hierarchy are beginning to doubt the validity and even legitimacy of their mission. Some international branches cut off from the Islamic State after Al-Rashi was declared caliph of Islam, pursuing their agendas within their locality. However, few began to question the aspiration for a supranational caliphate, which eventually became paramount with Al-Rashidi’s rise to power [7]. Being a representative figurehead of such a concern, he raised the question during the Convene of Sirte: He criticized the original mission for its excessive expansionism and centralization of their Jihad. He asserts that such an endeavor alienates the local population and thus leaving them vulnerable to powerful oppositions.

Thus, much to the surprise of his supporters, he advocated the radical decentralization of the Islamic State into cooperative cells akin to Al-Qaeda rivals. Al-Rashidi publishes a document, the Treatise of Islamic Governance, to serve as an ideological framework for the Islamic State of Libya [8]. It was written with the collaboration of his most loyal retinues, ranging from the newly-established Supreme Commander of the Islamic Army and the Head Chief of the Shura Council.

Within the treatise, he establishes the three theatres of Jihad: Jihad of the Sword, which is revised from committing expansionist aspiration to local consolidation; Jihad of the Land, asserting their authority in the territories they rule over; and the Jihad of the Heart, winning the hearts and minds of the local population [9]. All three were considered essential in their plans to re-establish themselves as an Islamic powerhouse; it became an ideological doctrine days after the publication of the treatise. Al-Rashidi considered the formalization of jihad necessary; his critique concerning Al-Baghdadi’s lack of ideological stratagem enabled their downfall of the Islamic State proper [10].

Another interesting facet concerning Islamic State ideology under Al-Rashidi was the retraction of their mission to establish a worldwide caliphate. While rather evident during the Convene of Sirte, the treatise formalized it into a proper tenet within the current caliph’s political thought. Pyotr Dovstoyevsky compared his rationale with Stalin’s premise of Socialism in One Country [11], in which the caliph shifted the concerns of the Islamic State into consolidating their newly-acquired lands in Libya instead of campaigning for global jihad. Instead, they aspire for a confederation of like-minded emirates to take place, with his branch serving as its leading sovereign for the entire Islamic State.

Reformation in Practice

It is difficult to determine whether the reformation was fruitful for the Islamic State, at least during the early end of the war. Most observers, including the likes of Alan Herver and The Mediterranean’s Charlotte McLamb, scathed Al-Rashidi’s efforts as nothing more but a desperate ploy to preserve the remnants of the once-powerful proto-state [12]. Alan Herver rebuked the attempt for bringing little change to the Islamic State and merely reinforcing its “medieval-esque theocracy” before its downfall [13]. He even raised the fact that his reforms were callous as they caused the schism that alienated his faction from the rest of their international branches, weakening the Islamic State even more.

His assertion is not unfounded; he was correct to reveal that the reformation alienated many branches, including those within their ranks. The consequences of his endeavors, especially the codification of the sharia into a guide, provoked many forms of condemnation, ranging from fierce critiques and even a potential overthrow. Mansur Al-Maliki, the chief ideologue who serves Al-Rashidi, delivered a formal rebuttal of the Majallah Al-Sharia during the Second Convene of Sirte: Elaborating how the codification could diminish the divine sources of the Quran and the potential errors that can lead to the deviation from god’s rulings [14]. Some resort to violent ends, with his regime nearly overthrown in 2022 by so-called Al-Baghdadi loyalists yearning for the return of the status quo.

It is also necessary to recognize that his reorganization of the Islamic State’s structural apparatus entails political purges against dissenting cadres. While initially targeting former intelligence officers who served under Saddam Hussein, it eventually extended to those ideologically loyal to Al-Baghdadi’s reign and what Al-Rashidi considered to be “ultra-extremist” elements of the Islamic State [15]. The extent of the purge ranged from forced resignation, demotion, to even rumors of fierce liquidation. The latter resulted in the expulsion of many ex-Ba’ath intelligence agents; some eventually defected to the Free State of Sabha, much to the dismay of the caliph [16].

However, the gravest consequence of his reforms was the splintering of its international franchise into its own localized factions. Many insurgent cells of ISIS across Syria and Iraq refuse to recognize Al-Rashidi as the legitimate successor of Al-Baghdadi, accusing him as a usurper of the title. Instead, Maliki Al-Adnani, the Emir of the Islamic State across the two countries, proclaims himself as caliph and declares a fatwa against his regime [17]. In turn, Boko Haram pledges their allegiance to Al-Adnani and denounces Al-Rashidi’s title as blasphemy as well, even purging those who are sympathetic to his new cause.

Despite the early sentiment dominating its historiography, a growing number of scholars, such as the like of Pyotr Dovstoyevsky, begin to provide a new perspective concerning the Al-Rashidi and his attempt to legitimize the Islamic State, especially with the declassification of his many administrative records and documents from Libya and even private recollections from the caliph himself. Once vehemently cynical of his reformation, Dimitry Vasily brings an interesting assessment of their reformation, basing his retrospect on local accounts from Sirte and the surrounding regions.

In his book, The Last Emirate: Accounts of the Islamic State, Vasily compared the local court system of the Cyrenaican warlords with the established equivalent of the Islamic State. The former was condemned by many for being both corrupt and inefficient: Bribery was a common form of solicitation among judges under the likes of Mustafa’s and Hussain’s regimes, and the lack of accountability from the states leaves many civil disputes to be left with arbitrary results, mostly favoring those closest to the regime. Even the Green Army, despite their vow to restore law among the lands, resort to violent retribution against any form of sedition or dissent. This is in contrast to the court system of the Islamic State, where the rule of law even applies to their highest ranks and its punishment is relatively fair. It’s even to the point when neighboring tribes such as the Ferghiani and Gaddadfa request judicial correspondents to oversee civil and even domestic disputes [18].

Dimitry Vasily brings an interesting case in As Sultan (July 23rd, 2022), where a local fishmonger filed a complaint against a particular local militant. It was reported that the accused was using his authority as a commerce inspector and coerced a stock worth 125 Dinar (or 26.50 USDs) per week from him, some ended with physical abuse during incidents where he failed to deliver. The case was later reported and thoroughly investigated by its regional division of the Al-Shurta Al-Islamiyya. He was brought into court, later to be revealed that he stoled over more than 27500 dinar worth of fish stock across the town and recruited local proxies to serve as racket collectors. In accordance with the rulings of the Hudud, he was sentenced to severe amputation of his right hand, serving as a punitive example for any officials abusing their power [19].

Al-Rashidi’s reorganization of the Islamic State has enabled them to evolve from their jihadist ambitions in favor of focusing on local development, allowing themselves to consolidate in a territory they were once despised. Local accounts from the Ferghiani tribe suggest that despite its early cumbersome taxation attempts, the Islamic State where able to accumulate those funds into repairing essential road tracks and refurbishing decrepit buildings into social facilities, which eventually leads to relative prosperity as many of its people are provided with necessities enough for them to focus on their occupation [20].

His Majallah Al-Sharia became a cornerstone reference for future attempts at the codification of the sharia, regardless of the denial of many. The triumphant pro-government faction of the Taliban during the Great Afghan War took loose inspiration from his project; it’ll eventually culminate in a near-fully codified version of many rulings from the Quran and Hadiths, with the statutes formally implemented in 2042 [21]. A growing number of Muslim scholars would eventually study the piece with fascination: The President of Al-Azhar University privately wrote a relatively positive impression of the endeavor; and the future president of Indonesia, Muhammad Ali Shah, even credited Al-Rashidi’s work as an influence in his dissertation [22], which leads him to a disciplinary hearing by the administrative board [23].

Despite the collapse of their struggling state, to claim that Al-Rashidi merely delayed the inevitable is a disservice to his tremendous achievements. The Islamic State seems to be at wit’s end after the Second Battle of Mosul, with most of its volunteers forced into becoming covert cells. The region of Sirte benefited from his regime, especially compared to the previous warlords that once reign over them. Few accounts from the locals showcase a rather positive sentiment, some even willing to forgive their past mistakes due to Al-Rashidi’s efforts. And according to Pyotr Dostoyevsky, without the leadership of the second caliph and his reforms, the Islamic State would’ve fallen sooner to either the neighboring warlords or the Libyan National Army, leaving the local populace to slavishly provide necessities to either side at the cost of their own livelihood [24].

Sources
The Last Emirate: Accounts of the Islamic State [1][2][5][9]
Third Libyan Civil War: Collection of Personal Testimonies and Reports [12][13][14][18][19]
Al-Rashidi: Biography of the First and Last Emir [3][16][20][22][23]
Zaim’s Gambit: The Third Libyan Civil War [4][11][17][24]
Comprehensive Guide to Conflict of the 21st Century [7][21]
Journals of Al-Rashidi: Complete Edition [6][8][10][15]

[Media] Third Libyan Civil War - Wikipedia Page
Third Libyan Civil War - Wikipedia Page

WSOL-Wikipedia_3rdLibyanCivilWar.png

[Click on the image for full resolution]

Introduction

The Third Libyan Civil War (Arabic: الحرب الأهلية الليبية الثالثة, romanized: al-harb al-'ahliat al-liybiat al-thaalitha) is an ongoing multi-sided civil war in Libya fought between the Libyan National Army led by Libyan first marshal Khalid Ibn Khammas (supported by domestic and foreign allies), and various political factions that oppose the Libyan army and each other, in various combinations [144].

The conflict began on 21 December 2020 after the sudden death of first marshal Khalifa Haftar, leading to a power struggle between his officers and eventually a massacre of the local population in Tripoli [32][33][34][35]. The war is currently being fought by several factions, including the Libyan National Army and its domestic and foreign allies, the Islamic fundamentalist forces spearheaded by the Islamic State of Libya, the western settler state known as the Free State of Sabha, loose confederations of tribal forces scattered throughout the country (including the Confederation of the Tribes), and cells of insurgent groups fighting for former government institutions (such as Presidential Council or the House of Representatives) [113][114].

In addition to those four factions, the Battle of Bani Walid led to the rise of an insurgent wave of neo-Gaddafist forces, which eventually culminated in the foundation of the Green Army. [171][177] The violence of the war, which initially diminished between 2022-2024, escalated once again during their aggressive expansion across Western Libya, taking over the most populated region in the country against the former Second Coalition [177].

Several foreign countries, such as Russia, France, Turkey, and the United States, have either directly involved themselves in the conflict or provided military or diplomatic support to one faction or another. Russia and Turkey supported the Libyan National Army militarily, with Russia sending a sizable contingent of the 141st Special Motorized Regiment (also known as the Kadyrovsty) [177] as foreign auxiliaries and France providing a financial and logistical lease since the start of the war. The United States and its allies recognized the Presidential Council (and later the House of Representatives) as the only legitimate government institution for the country, despite the lack of territorial presence in Libya. Iran, Hezbollah, and North Korea allegedly provided military support for the Green Army, despite official denial from the Iranian spokesperson of both the presidency and the IRGC and the supreme commander of the Green Army [177].

Source: Wikipedia - Third Libyan Civil War

Last edited: