The VT-BAM project

chahar_vt-bam.png

Counties of Chahar Province, 1948

Here is a VT-BAM of the Margraviates of Baden-Durlach and Baden-Baden shortly before their reunification in 1771.
I want to add further historical minor principalities in South-West Germany.

Are here some people motivated to create a common Holy-Roman-VTBAM ??

margraviates1771.png

Are those names actually German country names? Or were they named later on in history, like the byzantines were
As far as I know, these names where actually used at that time.
The title margrave was used, because it was the highest title of the ruling monarch.
Of course each of these two margraviates consisted of multiple baronies and other smaller territories... which had different local rules and customs.

Here is some further progress for a 1789 map ... The map in the background (France and Italy) is from @tungsterismapping and @Crazy Boris . I need to do some cleaning in cases where borders don't overlap exactly. (For example some exclaves in the South near the Rhine River)

Fun fact ... A few villages in South Germany where actually territory of the Knights of St. John and the Teutonic Order ....

Also @Crazy Boris which colors whould you recommend for minor bishoprics, independent monasteries, and minor free cities not mentioned in THICC 3.3 ?

wip1789.png

Crazy Boris

Banned
As far as I know, these names where actually used at that time.
The title margrave was used, because it was the highest title of the ruling monarch.
Of course each of these two margraviates consisted of multiple baronies and other smaller territories... which had different local rules and customs.

Here is some further progress for a 1789 map ... The map in the background (France and Italy) is from @tungsterismapping and @Crazy Boris . I need to do some cleaning in cases where borders don't overlap exactly. (For example some exclaves in the South near the Rhine River)

Fun fact ... A few villages in South Germany where actually territory of the Knights of St. John and the Teutonic Order ....

Also @Crazy Boris which colors whould you recommend for minor bishoprics, independent monasteries, and minor free cities not mentioned in THICC 3.3 ?

View attachment 743592

First off, godspeed with the HRE, it’s cool to see someone picking this map up again. Second, for the states not mentioned, the “other German state” colors would be my first place to go, and reusing shades of the same color for some if they aren’t needed to show autonomy, occupation etc. after you run out of those, any colors in Germany reserved for states that don’t exist at this time would be my next go, and after that... go with whatever you want, you could use colors from outside Europe (unless you think the map could be expanded in the future, but even then you can use colors for countries that don’t exist at this time) or make your own colors. I’m planning on expanding the Empire stuff in the next update, so when thats out you could go back and edit if you want.

good luck going forward, this is one hell of a project.

I'm not really sure weather I fill finish the HRE....
Several regions won't have the accuracy of South-West Germany, where I have very exact maps.
So this is more a long term project depending on my motivation.

I'm not really sure weather I fill finish the HRE....
Several regions won't have the accuracy of South-West Germany, where I have very exact maps.
So this is more a long term project depending on my motivation.
This whole thing is a collaborative project for this exact reason. Big projects like this can be hard. So it's perfectly fine.

Here is a new update for the Holy Roman Empire!
Found and scanned a few maps to somewhat improve accuracy
The internal subdivisions of Hannover might help to create maps of earlier dates.
hreforward.png