The VT-BAM project

vtbam-prcdongbei.png

Reworked Liaoning's counties, assemble with jefe's shot at Jilin and Heilongjiang. Also did some portions of Inner Mongolia and Hebei province that were part of Manchuria. Would be doing more of Inner Mongolia soon.

Hmm, something has been bugging, @Raazossaku, @Generaloberst Lizardon, and @jefe, what are the sources are you using for your patches for China? I believe it would be a good idea to use the same source as I noticed some interesting issues.
For Raazossaku, the provinces and coastlines are different:
1643548163406.png

For Lizardon, there is province differences as well as very minor edits of the coastline and what appears to be stray pixels along the Korean border:
1643548694808.png

For Jefe, their patches seems to be the most compatible with the current edition of the map. That's why I'm asking what are the sources used and see if you three can agree on a single source to go with.

Last edited:
@Iustinus Tempus I'm gonna do a rework of Liaoning once I finish off the Republics of Tatarstan and Chuvashia. As for what I use to make my maps, I use a variety of sources but mainly an overlay given to me by user @Klime

Last edited:
Hmm, something has been bugging, @Raazossaku, @Generaloberst Lizardon, and @jefe, what are the sources are you using for your patches for China? I believe it would be a good idea to use the same source as I noticed some interesting issues.
View attachment 714699
For Lizardon, there is province differences as well as very minor edits of the coastline and what appears to be stray pixels along the Korean border:
View attachment 714701
For Jefe, their patches seems to be the most compatible with the current edition of the map. That's why I'm asking what are the sources used and see if you three can agree on a single source to go with.
@Iustinus Tempus as for me, I just use the raw reference that came along for tracing admin divisions plus a QGIS export for townships

View attachment 714699
I think you are misunderstanding something quite fundamental about why I decided to redo these. The provinces as they were with the "current edition of the map" are completely misaligned with reality, which is why they had to be redone.

As for the coastline differences, I found that while doing them that the coastlines reflect features that no longer exist or have been reclaimed by land (this is expected in the Jiangsu region, as most of it is the result of sediment being built up in historical times in the first place). This usually confirmed using the most up-to-date satellite images I can find.

For my sources, I'm doing it manually in an iterative process. The base trace is simply based on transformed Google Maps and OpenStreetMap data, taking each square of 15 minutes latitude x 15 minutes longitude, and then cross referenced with maps from official Chinese governmental sources such as local county/municipality websites and surveying maps.

Edit: You can see pretty much the exact same discrepancies between this "current edition" and the 8k-BAM, based on finn's comparison here. Considering I adopted a completely different process and didn't use the 8k-BAM as reference during creation, I think this demonstrates the issue the pre-existing VT-BAM had in China, and that my fix, which I absolutely do not claim to be perfect, is far closer to reality that it was, which is the ultimate goal.

Last edited:
The Russian Republics of Adygea, Ingushetia, Chechnya, and Kalmykia: The Russian Oblasts of Astrakhan, Volgograd, Samara, and Ulyanovsk: The Russian Krai of Krasnodar: And the Ethiopian Afar Region
Adyghea.png
Ingushetia.png
Chechnya.png
Kalmykia.png
Astrakhan.png
Volgograd.png
Samara.png
Ulyanovsk.png
Kuban.png
Afar.png

This is what I did in less than half an hour, I extracted the outline of the ice caps from the Topography Tiles so it wouldn't take me a while to do it.

Attachments

• 501.png
    501.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 302
Progress as of right now, might not be accurate but that'll do, making a division progress map aswell.

Attachments

• Progress Map.png
    Progress Map.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 283
Countries that are undone or are partially done list (not counting colonies & only 1st levels)
This might be helpful.
Countries completely undone:
Central African Republic
Gabon
Marshall Islands (probably because it's too tiny)
Monaco (same as Marshall Islands)
Nauru (Probably not on the map)
Norway
Republic of the Congo
Tuvalu (same as Monaco)
Countries partially done:
Angola
Brazil
China
Colombia
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Ethiopia