The VT-BAM project

-The towns of California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico
- The Mexican localities of Playas de Rosarito, Tecate, Tijuana, San Luis Rio Colorado, and Plutarco Elías CallesView attachment 626998
Hey, I've been watching your work on this thread for a pretty good while (it's amazing, massive kudos to you) and I had a question: how do you do it? You don't seem to be manually tracing, as evidenced by the ridiculous rate at which you produce these patches. Are you somehow getting QGIS to spit out raster images at the exact scale of the VT-BAM?

Well, on advice from @Apathe, I suppose it’s high time I made an official introduction.

I’m Jake, creator of Jake’s Absolutely Bangin’ Borderpool, an ambitious project focused on providing an exhaustive compilation of physical and historical borders for the United States in VT-BAM scale. This will take quite a while to achieve, of course, and right now my goal is just to copy down major rivers and divides (the Continental Divide, the Eastern Divide, etc.) before I start on historical borders or minor physical features.

That being said, the more hands that are on deck, the sooner this resource will come to fruition for all who want to use it. The image included with this post is a list of my current “claims,” with green being what is currently in progress and yellow being my next step. If anyone would like to “claim” their own area to contribute to, you can always just reply to this message or ask me on the JABB thread (link can be found in my signature).

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to contribute!

Here are two historic maps, or my attempts to create them. I'm not 100% accurate at the moment.

a) The 1947 UN-partition plan for the British Mandate in the Middle East

1947partition.png

b) South-West Germany after 1815

1815bawü.png

The countries on the map are
1. The Kingdom of Württemberg
2. The Grand-Duchy of Baden
3. The Principality of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
4. The Principality of Hohenzollern-Hechingen
5. The Principality von der Leyen (former principality of Geroldseck) surrounded by Baden (which was ceded to Austria in 1815 and later given to Baden)
6. The exclave of Wimpfen which belongs to the Grand-Principality of Hessen-Darmstadt

So, I recently found the historic atlas for the German state of Hessen online for free ( https://www.lagis-hessen.de/de/subjects/browse/mode/grid/sn/ga ) and decided to draw the 1815/1821 borders of the Hessian states. Feel free to correct any inaccuracies. I'm not 100% sure that my borders are completely accurate.

1815hesse.png

The states on this map are

A: The Grand-Duchy of Hessen-Darmstadt
B: The Electorate of Hessen-Kassel
C: The Duchy of Hessen-Nassau
D: The Principality of Waldeck-Pyrmont
E: The Free City of Frankfurt
F: The (small) landgraviate of Hessen-Homburg
G: Enclaves of the Kingdom of Prussia

So together with @tungsterismapping 's Bavaria, we have the complete south of the German Federation (and the southern part of Sachsen-Coburg and Gotha) ! Anyone motivated to finish Germany in that time period?

1815sued.png

Somehow I was in a map-making mood today.

The following states are now added:

The Grand-Duchy of Oldenburg (without several enclaves in other regions of Germany)
The Western Parts of the Kingdom of Hannover
Parts of the Prussian Rhineland (the Southern Prussian Rhineland requieres more patience due to local enclaves and stuff)
The United Kingdom of the Netherlands
The Grand-Duchy of Luxemburg (in personal union with the Netherlands)
The Condominium of Neutral-Moresnet (Dutch-Prussian Condominium)
The Kingdom of France (still without departments, I should add them later)
Andorra
Parts of the Kingdom of Spain
Switzerland and its cantons (since Switzerland is quite decentralized, the Cantos have separate colors; The small "Republic of Gersau" still tries to avoid getting annexed by the Canton of Schwyz until 1818; also the Kanton of Neuchatel is at the same time a principality in personal union with Prussia but autonomous)
The Principality of Monacco (at that point, Monacco still controlled Menton and Rouguerque)

1815eurowest.png

Somehow I was in a map-making mood today.

The following states are now added:

The Grand-Duchy of Oldenburg (without several enclaves in other regions of Germany)
The Western Parts of the Kingdom of Hannover
Parts of the Prussian Rhineland (the Southern Prussian Rhineland requieres more patience due to local enclaves and stuff)
The United Kingdom of the Netherlands
The Grand-Duchy of Luxemburg (in personal union with the Netherlands)
The Condominium of Neutral-Moresnet (Dutch-Prussian Condominium)
The Kingdom of France (still without departments, I should add them later)
Andorra
Parts of the Kingdom of Spain
Switzerland and its cantons (since Switzerland is quite decentralized, the Cantos have separate colors; The small "Republic of Gersau" still tries to avoid getting annexed by the Canton of Schwyz until 1818; also the Kanton of Neuchatel is at the same time a principality in personal union with Prussia but autonomous)
The Principality of Monacco (at that point, Monacco still controlled Menton and Rouguerque)

View attachment 639744
I think you mean Menton and Roquebrune

I think you mean Menton and Roquebrune
Yes, sorry for the mistake.

Here is the next work in progress

I found a good map for the border history of Montenegro, but I'm unsure about the accuracy of my Serbian border.
Also I need to do some research on the borders of various Italian enclaves, and weather they still existed in 1815

I used the Austria-Hungary map and the 1789 work in progress map in this thread for some borders.

1815part1.png

1815part2.png

Nice
Yes, sorry for the mistake.

Here is the next work in progress

I found a good map for the border history of Montenegro, but I'm unsure about the accuracy of my Serbian border.
Also I need to do some research on the borders of various Italian enclaves, and weather they still existed in 1815

I used the Austria-Hungary map and the 1789 work in progress map in this thread for some borders.

View attachment 640066

View attachment 640067

Dannggggg I've always wondered what a world map would look like that includes every political unit to its smallest. I tried opening the full map through ms paint, and my computer crashed lmaooooo

Current work in progress about Germany
For later dates patches between 1815 and 1866 you shouldn't forget Bremerhaven (bought by Bremen) and Wilhelmshafen (bought by Prussia) a few decades later.
wipgermany1815.png

Hello VT-BAMers, you may know me as the creator of Gigamap (a 16k equirectangular world map template with a massive ''borderpool'' with historical borders spanning from 2020 to 1780.)

Since I've pretty much got bored of Gigamap, I decided to make an entirely new map based on the heightmap from this thread, which to vastly oversimplify, is pretty much the same as VT-BAM but with a greater emphasis on historical borders, and more importantly, lines with corners. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• two.png
    two.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 630
  • four.png
    four.png
    301 KB · Views: 636
Hello VT-BAMers, you may know me as the creator of Gigamap (a 16k equirectangular world map template with a massive ''borderpool'' with historical borders spanning from 2020 to 1780.)
Do you have a linke somewhere to your Gigamap? Because I never heard of it and it sounds really nice.

Since I've pretty much got bored of Gigamap, I decided to make an entirely new map based on the heightmap from this thread, which to vastly oversimplify, is pretty much the same as VT-BAM but with a greater emphasis on historical borders, and more importantly, lines with corners. Let me know what you think.
So a VT-Bam "borderpool" or something which is compatible with the current VT-BAM map?