The VT-BAM project

upload_2019-11-4_17-6-34.png

Utah's municipalities done

I went on Wikipedia, only France has fifth and sixth administrative divisions

Also, in the VT-Bam templates in the Zip file, red lines means first level, yellow lines means second level, green lines means third level, blue lines means fourth level, violet lines means fifth level?
Sorry for the late reply, yes that is correct for the vast majority of the overlays, the newer ones go red-blue-green-yellow-violet instead
And Wikipedia have five or more division levels listed for a number of countries (they just list multiple levels in the last box), it is generally extremely difficult to actually get data on these levels however.

Is anyone gonna answer?
When I've actually had the time to properly research my answer, yes
There are a few countries with five levels of divisions, but it is true that three and four levels are more common (maybe two as well)
It's often pretty difficult to find data on the lower levels, it's even difficult to find names for them in some cases
In addition to the countries you listed I know that Belgium, Greece, and Morocco have fifth levels of some description, as do some parts of Germany

When I've actually had the time to properly research my answer, yes
There are a few countries with five levels of divisions, but it is true that three and four levels are more common (maybe two as well)
It's often pretty difficult to find data on the lower levels, it's even difficult to find names for them in some cases
In addition to the countries you listed I know that Belgium, Greece, and Morocco have fifth levels of some description, as do some parts of Germany

There are countries without second-level divisions as well, or in the case of Libya, without any available information of them.

China has fourth-level and fifth-level divisions, but generally you can only find maps of up to the third level (county/district). Wikipedia has exactly one map each of Yunnan and Guizhou with fourth-level divisions (township/subdistrict/town). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townships_of_China
And then there is this blob, which is meaningless outside of parts of Tibet, Qinghai, and Inner Mongolia: https://www.mdpi.com/sustainability.../html/images/sustainability-10-01363-g001.png

Last edited: