The VT-BAM project

VT45

Banned
So I've been working a lot in QGIS recently, and I figured I shouldn't be the only one to benefit from the work I'm doing in there. So I'm please to announce the beginning of the V-BAM project. What I will present in this thread is a series of maps at the resolution of 1 pixel for every 30 seconds (or 180 pixels per degree of latitude/longitude). I'll be starting with the USA and moving out from there. I will also present this data in a series of projections, including:

Plate caree/equirectangular:
kApxfZl.png

Robinson:
g7jHX4j.png

Mollweide:
zmcIFgM.png

and Winkel-Trippel:
6WGYRWD.png

I'll be proceeding first with the USA and then probably moving onto Canada, but if you have any requests, please feel free to post it.

VT45

Banned
I might add in municipalities in places where they might be useful. However, at first I'll stick with second-order administrative divisions.

I might add in municipalities in places where they might be useful. However, at first I'll stick with second-order administrative divisions.
If you give me an exported map from QGIS, I would like to help you in tracing over them (I also have paint.net). I would like to draw dutch and german municipalities.

If there is a standard rule in drawing this map, it would be useful.

VT45

Banned
I actually just uploaded some more images to work with in case work's a little slow today. If you want to help that'd be awesome. All I need right now is to have all the counties outlined and filled in and shrunk to the size I have put on the images. That'd be a big help. Link is here.

I actually just uploaded some more images to work with in case work's a little slow today. If you want to help that'd be awesome. All I need right now is to have all the counties outlined and filled in and shrunk to the size I have put on the images. That'd be a big help. Link is here.
Cool, but I believe that it should be more simple to do a map per time, since doing four in the same time is really slow.

For example, let's start doing equirectangular, and then the other ones, the work would be faster.

VT45

Banned
We could do, yeah. If you wanna do that, awesome. You can outline Pennsylvania like that and I'll work on georeferencing New Jersey tonight.

Do we really have to start in the US? We already have a County-BAM and countless other North America-BAMs.
I think it would be better to start somewhere else like Europe or Asia

VT45

Banned
1. I thought the M-BAM was finished.
2. What's wrong with V-BAM? It fits the trend. We started with the Q-BAM, the M-BAM, and now the V-BAM.
3. I live in the US, so sorry if this seems a bit Amerocentric. If you have a request for a country, or region, please tell me and I'll do it.

Deleted member 105545

2. What's wrong with V-BAM? It fits the trend. We started with the Q-BAM, the M-BAM, and now the V-BAM.
3. I live in the US, so sorry if this seems a bit Amerocentric. If you have a request for a country, or region, please tell me and I'll do it.
DEUTSCHLAND

Still have a lot of 2nd & 3rd level divisions to go

How about all the effort that @Valdore Javorsky has put into his V-BAM map, which (if I do say so myself) is amazing.

Also, again, this project is absolutely insane.
1. This will take 5 years to finish at minimum; I'm pretty sure the M-BAM project was started about four years ago (I know I was watching it's progress when I was in 10th grade, which was three years ago).
2. A map this size is, in many regards, unsuitable for anything larger than displaying a single nation. At this size, a world map would be annoying to look at (given the scrolling you would have to do to even get from Washington DC to panama).
3. Countries will be screen-filling blobs at this size. Again, it's insane to do anything bigger than a nation map with this, and even those, as @Valdore Javorsky has shown with his Großdeutschland maps, will be ginormous.

So, if you really want to go through with this, I'd suggest:
- Renaming it to "T-Bam",
- Focusing on making it a regional map; basically, try and finish one region at a time (say, east coast USA), so that certain chunks can be used by those who want to do a highlight of that specific area on their projects; again, like Valdore is doing with his/her (??) Germany maps.

I wish you the best of luck.

May the cartography gods have mercy on your soul.