The Update the WorldA maps Thread - Collaborative effort

After some players in the Map Games subforum noticed that the Worlda maps of past years, here the 1838 basemap, is - more or less - outdated, I thought that we could start a collaborative effort to update our maps of the past...

Feel free to join in!

Credit for the current WorldA maps is really deserved and fully goes to
@metastasis_d , @SRegan et al.

I'm making a patch for Argentina, which is a mess currently. The period of the Argentine Civil Wars saw a lot of changes to the map, and the conquest of Patagonia and Chaco is hideously misrepresented. Here is what I have so far:

argentina.png

Note that this is the country already in control of Patagonia and its OTL territory. The pre-Conquest of the Desert and Argentine Civil Wars maps are... in process...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: THIS PATCH DOES NOT INCLUDE CHANGES IN OTHER COUNTRIES, IN PARTICULAR THE WAR OF THE PACIFIC. THOSE MIGHT BE INCLUDED IN A FUTURE PATCH

Remember when there was a stickied worldA thread and then you somehow got it destickied and replaced with the inferior and dead OTL Maps thread? Good times.

Remember when there was a stickied worldA thread and then you somehow got it destickied and replaced with the inferior and dead OTL Maps thread? Good times.

We got it unstickied because everyone was grabbing out of date maps instead. My preference was to unsticky that one as well and just have a directory thread stickied.

Right, right. I'll see if I can get a ball rolling here.

How should we go about patching the worlda, then? I figure individually people will probably be able to point out some areas worth looking at and suggest some smaller patches - as it is I reckon a lot of patches are floating about, but they don't seem to be used consistently. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it feels as if a lot of the worldas used (not getting into, say, the long list of historical basemaps) have a bunch of newer and older patches mashed together.

I'd reckon more or less all of you have been working on this for longer than I have, so no doubt there's plenty of issues like what the border of the map projection should look like (two different examples seem pretty common, with two different Antarcticas) that have been discussed ages ago. This map has been floating around on this site for a hell of a long time, and while people have been diligently working on it all that time no one person has ever had much of a gods-eye-view of it all. That is to say, it's a really big project with a huge list of subtle decisions to make in the positioning of lakes, the projection, the borders and the coastlines, the way they _change over time_, I mean, yeesh.*

I've got a sorta-patched map I've worked on, sent it to Beedok a while back. I'll stick it here, but I'd be interested to know what the rest of you think about this in general. Feel free to post any patches or other useful stuff you have!

Ly0iocq.png

(& without latitude and longitude)

Last edited:
Most recent map I worked on is this 1885 one.

However it's been brought to my attention that we aren't actually using a true Robison but Kavraisky VII or something like that.

@Tangle has scaled down a Robinson terrain map and suggested redoing the coastlines etc. using it here. I assume that we'd be able to keep most of the current stuff, haven't checked though.

The big advantage is that we'd already have the terrain map rather than a half-finished one.

1885.png